September MCC, Round 2 - A New Identity

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Banner based on Jalira, Master Polymorphist by Steve Prescott and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
September MCC, Round 2 - A New Identity

Welcome to the September MCC! It's Alterations Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a card that can change the creature types of one or more creatures
Subchallenge 1: Your card changes the type to a specific creature type, i.e. you do not choose which creature type.
Subchallenge 2: Your card is not blue.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Thursday, September 23rd 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Sunday, September 26th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge: This can mean adding a type ("in addition to its other types") or overwriting the other types (without that clause).

Subchallenge 1: For example, Captivating Vampire would qualify but Mistform Mutant would not.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
bravelion83

Players:
@Freyleyes
@Subject16
@Riria
@Lorn Asbord Schutta
@slimytrout
@netn10
@Legend
@Henlock
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Riria

Post by Riria » 2 years ago

Tame WBG
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant Human
When Tame enters the battlefield, enchanted creature fights target non-Human creature. If that creature dies this turn, exile it. Enchanted creature becomes a Knight in addition to its other creature types and gains power and toughness equal to the power and toughness of the exiled creature as long as Tame is enchanting it.
"Riding into battle on a demon might be a tad unorthodox, but we can't always pick our steeds."

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Allitha, Simic Growthmaster XGG
Legendary Creature — Elf Frog Mutant (R)
When Allitha, Simic Growthmaster enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to X target creatures.
Creatures you control with +1/+1 counters on them have trample and are Mutants in addition to their other types.
2GG, T: Target Mutant you control fights target non-Mutant creature.
2/2

netn10

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Master of the Four Seasons 1GG
Creature - Beast Shaman (Mythic)
When Master of the Four Seasons enters the battlefield, if the game isn't at spring, it becomes spring (Every two turns, spring becomes summer, then fall, then winter and goes on to spring again.)
Other creatures you control are the following according to the season:
Spring — 1/1 Rabbits with vigilance and haste.
Summer — 3/3 Elephants with trample.
Fall — 1/1 Squirrels with "2G, T: Draw a card."
Winter — 5/5 Bears with "Whenever this creature attacks, it doesn't untap during your next untap step."
2/2

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Petrify {B/G}
Enchantment - Aura (Uncommon)
Enchant nonartifact, non-Gorgon creature
Enchanted creature is a Wall artifact creature with base power 0, defender, and "When this creature dies, create a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token."
She felt no guilt about petrifying heroes noble or otherwise. After all, it wasn't as if they'd trespassed into her lair to court her.
Last edited by Legend 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Ulvenwald Huntmaster 1RG
Creature — Human Scout Werewolf (M)
Whenever a Wolf or Werewolf you control deals damage to a creature, that creature becomes a Werewolf in addition to its other types.
2RG, T: Ulvenwald Huntmaster fights another target creature.
Daybound (If a player casts no spells during their own turn, it becomes night next turn.)
2/4

//

Caller of the Night Hunt
Creature — Werewolf
Whenever a Wolf or Werewolf you control deals damage to a creature, that creature becomes a Werewolf in addition to its other types.
2RG: Gain control of target Wolf or Werewolf an opponent controls for as long as it is night. It gains haste.
Nightbound Nightbound (If a player casts at least two spells during their own turn, it becomes day next turn.)
4/4

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 2 years ago

Rustle in the Marsh BBB
Enchantment {M}
Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1 and have decayed. (A creature with decayed can't block. When it attacks, sacrifice it at end of combat.)
Whenever a non-Zombie creature you control dies, return it to the battlefield taped. It's a Zombie in addition to its other creature types.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Irena, Vec Folklorist ww
Legendary Creature - Human Rebel (r)
Each white creature card you own that isn:t on the battlefield is a Rebel in addition to its types.
Your opponents can't search your library or cast cards you own.
2/2

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

Slum's Godfather 1BBB
Creature - Ogre Rogue (R)
Whenever opponent discards a creature card, put that card onto the battlefield under your control instead of putting it anywhere else. That creature is a Minion in addition to its other types.
When Slum's Godfather leaves the battlefield, sacrifice all Minions you control.
For shunned and downtrodden, it's either him or the gutter.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed. The following are the judging assignments -

void_nothing:
netn10
Subject16
Henlock
Lorn Asbord Schutta

bravelion83:
Riria
slimytrout
Legend
Freyleyes

Let us shoot for Tuesday the 28th as the new judging deadline date.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Judgments complete.
Riria
Show
Hide
Riria wrote:
2 years ago
Tame WBG
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant Human
When Tame enters the battlefield, enchanted creature fights target non-Human creature. If that creature dies this turn, exile it. Enchanted creature becomes a Knight in addition to its other creature types and gains power and toughness equal to the power and toughness of the exiled creature as long as Tame is enchanting it.
"Riding into battle on a demon might be a tad unorthodox, but we can't always pick our steeds."
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Timmy likes making his creature bigger. Johnny might find something to do. Spike likes removal, but the mana cost is too restrictive to her. Everybody likes a part of this card, but I see no one that likes the whole package.
Elegance 1/3 - The text is just too convoluted and hard to understand. I've been playing Magic for sixteen years by now with no interruptions, and even I had to read this multiple times. Becoming a Knight being tied to successfully exiling the opposing creature is not intuitive in my opinion. What happens if you don't exile that creature? Nothing? I think that becoming a Knight should have been a separate ability. Getting the P/T bonus just has to be tied to exiling the creature to work, but it reads really badly, again, in my opinion.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - I wouldn't want to see a card like this at any less than rare. I'm not sure about colors. Fighting is the green part, exiling on death can be the black part, becoming a Knight and getting the P/T bonus might be the white part? It's probably this, it could work after all.
Balance 1.5/3 - It's worth of notice that if your opponent controls both a Human and a non-Human you can enchant the Human with this and have those two creatures fight, and potentially kill each other, getting rid of two opposing creature with a single move. If those two creatures are controlled by two different opponents, in multiplayer, that's also relevant. There is a reason that "target creature you control fights target creature you don't control" costs a single mana at sorcery speed, but "target creature fights another target creature", with the ability to make two creatures your opponents control fight each other, costs six mana. The mana cost is restrictive, but is it high enough? Maybe the mana value should have been a little higher to account for that fact. In limited, you might consider playing this as removal, but it's hard to be in three specific colors, though not impossible. I can't really see this in competitive constructed. Being hard to understand at first reading is a problem in casual.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Fighting is nothing new, as are exiling on death, creature transformation, and P/T bonuses. The combination feels original, but more because of the convoluted way it's put together, not because its elements are. As for the tribal component, we've already seen both Human tribal (Innistrad) and non-Human tribal (Ikoria).
Flavor 3/3 - I always appreciate finding one-word card names that haven't been used yet, it's not easy. The flavor text explains very well what's going on here. Good job.
Polish
Quality 1/3 - As I said, the text is really convoluted. I'm sure about a few things though. First, the exile needs to be a replacement effect, so it should be "If that creature *would* die this turn, exile it *instead*." (-0.5 twice makes -1.) Second, "...gains power and toughness equal to..." has no precedent, I checked. I think it should be "...gains +X/+Y, where X is the exiled creature's power and Y is that creature's toughness..." (-0.5) An ambiguity right at the end: in "...of the exiled creature as long as Tame is enchanting *it*", what is "it"? It's clearly the "enchanted creature" at the beginning of the sentence, but it looks like it could be "the exiled creature". (-0.5)
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 16/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Allitha, Simic Growthmaster XGG
Legendary Creature — Elf Frog Mutant (R)
When Allitha, Simic Growthmaster enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on each of up to X target creatures.
Creatures you control with +1/+1 counters on them have trample and are Mutants in addition to their other types.
2GG, T: Target Mutant you control fights target non-Mutant creature.
2/2
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes making his creatures bigger and having them fight opposing creatures. He also likes the type line. Johnny can use the +1/+1 counters or the additional creature type somehow. Spike likes the removal.
Elegance 3/3 - No real problems here, even if the text isn't the shortest.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules. The first ability is where I personally disagree with Wizards, I would have just used support X for the first ability, but if this card were to be printed for real, it would indeed just be spelled out unless support is a major mechanic in the set.
Balance 3/3 - If you cast this for X equal to zero, it's a bear with upside, something we've seen many times at higher rarities by now. It could also put a +1/+1 counter on itself. It's also a good mana sink for the late game. In limited, I would always play this. I could also see this in Standard, after all it's repeatable removal even by itself, as it's already a Mutant. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - As I said, the first ability is just support X. Granting trample and fighting are nothing new.
Flavor 3/3 - The name is good. MSE shows me there is no real room for flavor text here.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 23/25
Legend
Show
Hide
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Petrify {B/G}
Enchantment - Aura (Uncommon)
Enchant nonartifact, non-Gorgon creature
Enchanted creature is a Wall artifact creature with base power 0, defender, and "When this creature dies, create a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token."
She felt no guilt about petrifying heroes noble or otherwise. After all, it wasn't as if they'd trespassed into her lair to court her.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy likes the token but I don't see him going crazy for this card. Johnny can probably do something here and not just with the token. I don't think Spike is interested.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 2/3 - I have a few doubts about the colors of this card. Black can do the death trigger for sure but not setting power or creature types, except for reanimated creatures as Zombies and the occasional Zombie or Vampire, and giving defender. Green has Auras like Lignify, but I remember Maro saying those are considered a mistake now. What colors would I have made this? Mechanically, for sure white, it's a weird Pacifism variant after all, or maybe blue with some black. I don't really see this as a Golgari hybrid. The flavor forces you to make this a Golgari card, with some, let's say, mechanical bends. Rarity is fine, as are the rules.
Balance 1.5/3 - It might be playable in limited as soft removal, but it's certainly not a high pick and sometimes it won't make the cut. I don't really see this in competitive constructed. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - As I've already mentioned, this card immediately reminded me of Lignify and also the Orzhov mechanic in RNA afterlife, except the Spirit token here doesn't fly. As I often say, old elements put together in a technically new way.
Flavor 3/3 - At first I read the name as Putrefy, but that's my fault. The name and flavor text are very good, and I could see them getting printed as is. I also appreciate the trinket text "nonartifact, non-Gorgon": a Gorgon can't petrify other Gorgons or things that are already made of stone. Very good job.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - I think a comma is missing in the flavor text between "heroes" and "noble". (-0.5) The hyphen on the type line should be an em dash but no deduction for that.
TOTAL 19.5/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
2 years ago
Rustle in the Marsh BBB
Enchantment {M}
Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1 and have decayed. (A creature with decayed can't block. When it attacks, sacrifice it at end of combat.)
Whenever a non-Zombie creature you control dies, return it to the battlefield taped. It's a Zombie in addition to its other creature types.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes getting back his creature but I don't think he likes decayed too much. He usually doesn't like pure drawbacks. Johnny doesn't care about decayed, he'll just sacrifice the creatures in some kind of Aristocrats combo, then returning them to sacrifice them again. Spike likes reanimation and accepts the drawback to get a card that cost less mana.
Elegance 2.5/3 - Not too long and easy to understand. I could see some memory issues with remembering the additional creature type on the reanimated creature, but a pen and a piece of paper will be enough to fix this.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - No problems with the color pie, or the rules. Personally, it doesn't feel like a mythic to me, I would have put at regular rare, but maybe it's just me.
Balance 3/3 - I personally don't like decayed, but I can see how here it plays the role of the enabler. I like the synergy between the abilities and using the Zombie creature type to limit how many times you can bring the creature back. It feels somewhat similar to undying. There is also an interesting balance between the +1/+1 bonus and decayed. You won't see it often, but I can see this in limited, especially if you have managed to build a Zombie deck with your pool. In constructed, you'll just build that Zombie deck. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - In MID, decayed is only on tokens, so giving it to non-tokens is new but an easy place to go. The rest is nothing new.
Flavor 2/3 - The name is good and I really like it. MSE shows me flavor text could have fit here, up to three lines.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - "taped" is clearly a typo. It's not like you put tape on the card. It should obviously be "tapped" with a double "p". (-0.5) The last sentence should not have the word "creature": "...in addition to its other types." (-0.5)
TOTAL 21/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
slimytrout: 23
Freyleyes: 21

Legend: 19.5
Riria: 16
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 24th 2024 - Added TLL #7 and #6).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Strictly a Txmmy/Jxnny card - Spike doesn't wanna touch stuff like this. Jxnny, however, appreciates that the creatures also keep their original abilities...
(2.5/3) Elegance - A lot to keep track of, but also very well spelled out.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - DEFINITELY a mythic. The only color bleed is the Fall activated ability - green typically draws cards with saboteur effects and similar, not just tapping to draw.
(2.5/3) Balance - A bit underpowered if anything - you don't get to the Bear beaters until this is out for eight(!) turns (which does thankfully count your opponents') and you're stuck with 1/1s twice in the cycle. More a fun gimmick card than anything to play seriously, unless you're all-in built around it.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Really creative stuff, especially with the templating.
(3/3) Flavor - Seasons match up pretty damn well with the choice of animal.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Missing a period in the first ability.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 22/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both find fun things here but the whole deal is a bit slow and expensive for Spike - plus, who would deliberately want to damage but not kill opposing creatures?
(1.5/3) Elegance - Bluntly, there's a LOT to keep track of, from the type changing that doesn't even include counters to daybound and nightbound to a conditional control change ability.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Definitely a mythic, but the lasting gain-control ability of Caller of the Night Hunt is at least a bleed.
(3/3) Balance - Sure, nothing to object to here.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Plenty of Werewolves involve fighting and there is a lot of precedent for similar gain-control abilities, although the "as long as it's night" is a unique twist.
(2/3) Flavor - Works well enough, even if the name (on both sides) is slightly generic.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "Nightbound" is accidentally doubled up.

Total: 19/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Basically a Jxnny (Rebel tribal stuff) and Spike (Rebel tribal/situational hatebear) card. Txmmy sees a card that doesn't do a lot on its own.
(2/3) Elegance - Adding types to hidden cards can get hairy to track sometimes, and the hosing ability hits some pretty niche things.

Development
(3/3) Viability - I would say this is a white rare, yes.
(2.5/3) Balance - This has the potential to get out of hand for two mana if there are Rebels anything like the originals in the environment and it could do big things for Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero EDH decks - Conspiracy is already a sufficiently played EDH card, for example, and that hatebear ability, while narrow, is just gravy.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - The marquee ability has some precedent but the hosing ability is pretty interesting.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I do like the name, and it works with the mechanics, particularly the reference to the Vec. Could possibly have used flavor text?

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "Isn't" accidentally has a semicolon.
(1.5/2) Main Challenge (*) - Only changes the types of creature cards, not creatures, but since I never clarified this point I will only take half a point away.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Done.

Total: 20/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy fantasizes about stealing whole armies with Wit's End. Jxnny/Spike/especially hybrids of those psychographics could use a new piece for Waste Not.dek.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Pretty solidly easy to understand despite the tracking issue of the mass type changing.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely black, definitely rare.
(3/3) Balance - Can't complain - can do big things but four mana isn't THAT cheap and it requires outside help to do anything.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Feels like kind of an "obvious" effect and has precedent in the aforementioned Waste Not and friends but otherwise rather unique.
(3/3) Flavor - Love it - reminds me of past Ogre gangsters in Ravnica like Ratcatcher and Ogre Slumlord.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Flavor text appears to be missing a "the".

Total: 23/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta 23
netn10 22

Henlock 20
Subject16 19

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”