Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
One of my favorite things about Innistrad is how beautiful its dragons are. Looking forward to trying out Moonveil Regent myself.
WotC person 1: "Hey, dragons don't really make sense in gothic (horror) world"
WotC person 2: "What about making their wings stained glass? That's in gothic (cathedrals)."
And thus we got the prettiest dragons in all the planes.
....anyway, Moonveil Regent looks sweet. I assume it's at least partially a plant for New Capenna's tricolor factions, but it also looks very abusable in the right deck. Seems very fun for any heavy-gold decks. Ramos, Dragon Engine multicolor tribal has been on my shortlist of deck ideas for a while, and this looks like a strong inclusion there.

As for other stuff....
  • Horde Extermination looks excellent, and may be the new best board wipe in the format, at least from an efficiency standpoint. I guess it competes with Blasphemous Act, but it is a mana cheaper if BA hasn't maxed out its cost reduction.
  • Spectral Adversary is interesting. The body is reasonable - a 2/1 flash flyer that can grow - and phasing stuff out allows for a lot of shenanigans, both offensive and defensive. I'm definitely expecting some shenanigans.
  • Tainted Adversary, on the other hand, is a miss for me. Looks like it would be good in Standard, but in EDH, I think it compares poorly to other token producers.
  • Fearless Adversary is... fine. Similar to Tainted Adversary, this looks more relevant for Standard - I'm not a big fan of anthems in my decks, and sticking it on a creature is just asking for a blowout when it gets killed.
  • Celestus Sanctifier gets a callout because it is so rare for white to get self-mill and/or card selection. Otherwise, doesn't look that powerful.

Igzex
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Honestly I never really saw dragons as out of place in Innistrad because I play Castlevania where a dragon serves as the first boss of Rondo of Blood. Also I somehow missed Horde of Extermination. That's an instant classic right there.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Horde Extermination. A white Blasphemous. This looks like a new format staple to me, you're never paying full cost for it.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

WWolfe

Post by WWolfe » 2 years ago

Horde Extermination has to be one of the best wraths in the format on face value right? Still probably prefer Toxic Deluge for it's ability to get rid of indestructible creatures, but this has to be up there.

toctheyounger

WWolfe wrote:
2 years ago
Horde Extermination has to be one of the best wraths in the format on face value right? Still probably prefer Toxic Deluge for it's ability to get rid of indestructible creatures, but this has to be up there.
I think so. Its certainly the cheapest white has to offer for pure creature wipe.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

hoping "Horde Extermination" isn't the actual name of this card, wow

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Clearly it'sImage

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

So adeline, splendid cathar is kind of insane, a Brimaz, King of Oreskos on steroids. Assuming the translation is correct, it's kind of insane that it can put 3 tokens on the board T3 so long as you played a creature on turn 1 or 2. Any anthem effects and that gets real nasty, real fast.

dire-strain rampage is interesting. A lot of flexibility there. It's a harrow, a janky ramp option off a treasure token or something, it's got flashback, it can kill enemy artifacts/enchantments in a pinch. Really interesting card though I doubt it'll see much play.

Board wipe, whatever it's name is, is obviously amazing and will almost certainly slot into Phelddagrif. We can even effectively pay the cost on the previous turn by spewing out tokens on endstep, lol.

Maybe the most interesting spoiler today though is old stickfingers. In a generic 20+ creature dredgy deck, I couldn't give less of a crap, but as "XGB: tutor X creatures to grave if you only have X creatures in your deck" I feel like there's gotta be some interesting shenanigans. First thing that comes to mind is something like Bloodghast, Reassembling Skeleton, Nether Spirit, etc. Could just load up your grave with the top-tier fodder and then go ham with sac outlets and whatnot. Totally alternate build, could do silly things with Genesis or other incarnation-y critters with abilities in the grave. It's not even (traditionally) counterable, if the translation is accurate. I do worry that there's probably some broken stuff you could do...now I think about it, you could just tutor Protean Hulk and have a ton of reanimation...but you'd also need a sac outlet plus all the combo pieces and you only have GB so it's probably not THAT insane? Idk, I could definitely imagine that it ends up top-tier cEDH, but I want to hope that it's more fun than that.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Gamazson wrote:
2 years ago
Tainted Adversary looks like a puesdo Grave Titan for players that want to keep their zombie tribal deck "pure blooded".
I'm all about this and so is Grimgrin.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Old Stickfingers, Fleshtaker, and Hostile Hostel are why I love Innistrad as a plane. I wish Fleshtaker could have been legendary or something though. A notorious serial killer doesn't seem out of bounds flavorwise.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

I'm excited to brew up some nonsense with Stick Stickly. Trying to decide between a pile of value critters or a bunch of A+B combo for some sort of slot machine pile.

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

Curse of Surveillance a new "subtle" way to signal to the table who you think the threat is.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
I wish Fleshtaker could have been legendary or something though. A notorious serial killer doesn't seem out of bounds flavorwise.
Counterpoint: it's Innistrad.

As for other stuff....

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Jarad is still probably the best general for llurghoyf tribal, because he can fling your large, non-trampling bodies at your opponents' collective face. Old Stickfingers is making me reconsider making the deck though.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Old Stickfingers seems like an attempt at making a dredge commander without dredge, so to speak. Very interesting in that the noncreature cards get put back into the library; I'm sure there's an application where you filter out all the creature cards.

Also, am I crazy, or is Suspicious Stowaway absolutely bonkers? At worst it's an unblockable looter, at best it's an unblockable Ophidian.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Old Stickfingers seems like an attempt at making a dredge commander without dredge, so to speak. Very interesting in that the noncreature cards get put back into the library; I'm sure there's an application where you filter out all the creature cards.
I'm thinking it is to be used like a Proteus Staff, but in a reanimator shell. Keep the number of creatures in the main deck under 5, use you commander to get them in the bin, ready to be reanimated. With some ramp and a Reanimate, a third turn Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger or equivalent threat isn't impossible.

That kind of fast play is not my thing so a CEDH player would need to chime in.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

*sees Lier, Disciple of the Drowned*

Oh Dralnu, Lich Lord, they did you so bad. At least you're part black.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

2 years ago

That gives me chills.
Last edited by Gashnaw 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

toctheyounger

2 years ago

Oh Dralnu, Lich Lord, they did you so bad. At least you're part black.
So I play Dralnu. And yeah I get it. Same time though I think being mono blue hurts, more than you'd think* I'm sure there is stuff to do, but...like what does blue do when it's not countering things? Lab Man wins i guess. Still, spells can't be countered is gross.

*We're talking outside of extra turns.dec here really.

Dralnu kind of is a relic of a long gone age of magic, where power came with risks, but I still back him to win his fair share of games. He puts in work, and that art - Chef's Kiss. This guy seems good, but I bet he ends up being a groanfest to play against.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

so, to refresh my mind, i would need to reequip any equipment to a flipped card right?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
so, to refresh my mind, i would need to reequip any equipment to a flipped card right?
Not unless it changed zones or stopped being a creature.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Did...did they just print Life from the Loam as a commander?

Congrats, maro, you finally got me to be excited about a ooze. Slogurk, the Overslime seems really interesting and probably not broken.

First thoughts:
Play him, cycle 3 lands, bounce him, repeat.
Play some super land-heavy deck with some dredgers and grow him insanely huge
Wait, no, do both at once so you cycle the lands to dredge the dredgers and make him even huger

hmmmmmmmm

EDIT: Rem Karolus, Stalwart Slayer is also pretty rad. Definitely sweet with damage-based wipes.

Ludevic looks super lame to me. He's just an expensive reanimation spell? I guess it counting as your commander for commander damage is kinda nice? I would have thought they'd go a bit harder on him considering the flak they got for his previous version tbh.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

I think you Sunder with Ayula's Influence out then lose all friends.

Moonsilver Key looks interesting.
In Osgir it'll put itself in your GY itself, ready to provide more rocks or lands.
It can grab those mana rocks that enable some of our smaller mechanics (The Celestus, Dungeon Map, Altar of the Pantheon, Magnifying Glass) or some of the corner-case ones we've gotten recently (Strixhaven Stadium, Midnight Clock, Cursed Mirror).
It can grab artifact lands for Treasure Vault or color fixing/metalcraft.

I probably just like the glue aspect of it too much. It's not Expedition Map or Fabricate, but I feel like it'll have a place somewhere.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

MAGUSZANIN

Post by MAGUSZANIN » 2 years ago

Credit where it's due, Rem Karolus, Stalwart Slayer is a pretty good step in the right direction for Boros as a color pair. Not as big of one as Osgir, the Reconstructor, but I look at this as better than Firesong and Sunspeaker by basically every metric.

Might build him as a "my board wipes don't hurt me!" commander, but even if I don't he's a lot of fun and I'm happy he exists.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Lier is just gross. It shuts down half.of control. Which is something blue does best.

Lier feels like an izzet.storm deck lover.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”