[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Myllior wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
Spirit of Resistance popped up on my interest and I'm wondering if it's really worth the investment deck wise.
I'd run it in a deck with a 5C commander, so then you only need one card to activate it, à la Coalition Victory. I run it in my Sliver Queen deck both for this reason and because the deck is meant to do strange things. (I intend to modify the deck more towards 5C chaos; I hope to cast Fractured Identity on Hive Mind one day).

The other consideration is that, much like hatebears, opponents will heavily over-prioritise removing Spirit of Resistance. So you don't want to put much effort into activating it in the first place, since it probably won't be sticking around for long.

My only 5c deck is dragons, but if it's pulling its weight then yeah if I had a strange things deck I'd go for it then.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
not sure if this is of interest to anyone, but it looks like [Brian] Kibler of all people may be getting into commander!
I kinda wonder what kind of deck he'd build... my heart says wgx, but I hesistate to guess more. Also, anyone else find it a little odd to see the most handsome man in magic going gray already? I used to watch tons of coverage and I guess I just figured he had an extended warranty on his fountain of youth.
According to his twitter, he's building Muldrotha (meh) and Rith (nice!). The Rith one is mostly a nostalgia deck with a bunch of his old favorites.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

OK. I guess the big announcement for 2022 is tomorrow.

My wild guesses:

Cyberpunk Return to Kamigawa Set

A Phyrexian invasion set that is disguised as something else.

Maybe the LOTR or Warhammer Set.

And a couple of top down Kaldheim-esque style sets to round it off.

Even crazier guesses: A return to Alara and, perhaps more likely, Tarkir.

I'll stop before I try and guess every possibility, thus defeating the idea of a guess.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

Well that's a lot of sets next year.
Also the Lord of the Rings set is Modern Legal, which is hilarious! UB will not be opt-in I guess.

2022 gonna hurt the wallet that's for sure.

I am pretty stoked for the 3-color crime families.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 2 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
2022 gonna hurt the wallet that's for sure.
I'm in the opposite camp. My take when UB was initially announced was that I would wait and see what came of it, but there was a good chance it would mark the end of my heavy involvement with the game. More mechanically unique cards from a 3rd party IP in a secret lair release seems like a pretty good indicator of where this is headed. Fortnite secret lair and LotR being a modern legal set (i.e. going to be more prevalent than a secret lair) are not reassuring me any, either.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

The best part of the showcase is in terms of supplemental sets, R&D made 2022 into 2020 II :P It's honestly amusing how Commander Legends, Jumpstart and Double Masters are all getting sequels at the same interval.

The set concepts seem okay. Demon Crime World is funny in an Ixalan way. As usual, I'm the unhappiest with the third party IP stuff. A Fortnite Secret Lair sounds like the sort of joke you'd crack facetiously around The Walking Dead reveal, not even believing in it yourself, but here we are. At least it's reprints only, so there's no chance of them jumping a Skybind for one of my decks and me being greatly incentivised to deal with it. Even Commander Legends II, a sequel I was hotly awaiting, got its buzz killed by being set in some Dungeons & Dragons thing. I fully expect partners to return, and now I'm facing the possibility of there being a cool new option that I'd want to combine with some old thing. This perspective horrifies me, but it's something I'll need to handle more maturely than plugging my ears and scathingly reviewing any putative includes for my decks.

The showcase stream was dismal though. Wooden takes, extremely poorly structured information delivery. Yo dawg we heard you like ads so we put ads in our ad so you can watch an ad while you watch an ad. Explaining standard rotation to an audience entrenched enough to seek out a product preview livestream. This was visibly knocked out with minimal effort for all parties involved, and shakes my confidence in showcase streams going forward. Bummer, I liked tuning in and catching glimpses of stuff. The article covers all the important points in a more structured manner. Just reading this out loud would have taken less time than whatever bumbling got captured on film, and done a better job.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Neat. I've always hated the art for the new Sol Ring and this slots beautifully into Erebos.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
2 years ago
The best part of the showcase is in terms of supplemental sets, R&D made 2022 into 2020 II :P It's honestly amusing how Commander Legends, Jumpstart and Double Masters are all getting sequels at the same interval.
I'm guessing since Covid really kept people from playing and enjoying them and this them trying to make up for it.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Hermes_

well shock lands give another reason to buy un packs.....

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

jumpstart and double masters are super welcome cos there's always a billion cheap reprints of $2-$3 cards so either they crash to nothing or they're temporarily very easy to pick up. 2XM was incredible for just dumping like 100 of the best uncommon artifacts back into circulation, weirdly generous in some ways <3

I'm ruling out actually buying *new* new cards from now on, though. excited about reprints, ignoring Innistrad news, never buying another box or anything. it's not cos of the expanded universe things, I just honestly think the game has enough cards and it'd take a hundred thousand words to explain why

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

As a huge fan of Street Fighter I couldn't be less excited for them to cross over to MtG.

DirkGently

Thanks I hate it.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Jesus, guys. Quit moping! Magic will be fine. We just have to hang on a little longer. I'm sure 2023 will bring them back to their senses.

/s
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

I have to admit, I've been down on Magic for a while now. I'm still considering cashing out, but...next year's standard sets look really dope. Like, really dope. I'm indifferent or unhappy about everything else.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
I have to admit, I've been down on Magic for a while now. I'm still considering cashing out, but...next year's standard sets look really dope. Like, really dope. I'm indifferent or unhappy about everything else.
Kind of agree. All that said as cringey as some of this stuff seems its easy enough for me to just avoid it. If it isn't for me I'm ok with that and so is my wallet.

I also reserve the right to collapse laughing at anyone who plays mtg fortnite cards. I'm all for acceptance and that but...honestly I don't think I could help myself.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

I think the cross-over stuff will bring them more money and less headache than abolishing the RL and making a reprint run of those cards would.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

Well, ---------.

Some sick stuff in Com. Col. Black, and the SLD. Rampaging, soggy, misshapen --------.

Dental crowns are expensive and I'm more of a collector at this point. Bleurhgkl;sdf.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

Double Masters seems the least interesting to me off the bat. Like, I can't even think of what reprints we need anymore since most everything has been printed a million times.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
Double Masters seems the least interesting to me off the bat. Like, I can't even think of what reprints we need anymore since most everything has been printed a million times.
I guess that depends on what a player's budget and collection looks like. If you own a lot of cards and have been playing a long time, and you can afford 20-40 dollar or more expensive cards, then reprints probably aren't a big concern.

On the other hand, there are a lot of new players who don't have big collections or wallets, and the thought of spending 20 dollars for a single card is tough to justify. In that case, reprints are always welcome. Of course, proxying is a thing, but a lot of people, myself included, have reservations about doing so.

Additionally, oftentimes newer cards such as The Great Henge quickly wind up at a high price because of standard and other formats, but stay there because of commander and scarcity.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
I guess that depends on what a player's budget and collection looks like. If you own a lot of cards and have been playing a long time, and you can afford 20-40 dollar or more expensive cards, then reprints probably aren't a big concern.

On the other hand, there are a lot of new players who don't have big collections or wallets, and the thought of spending 20 dollars for a single card is tough to justify. In that case, reprints are always welcome. Of course, proxying is a thing, but a lot of people, myself included, have reservations about doing so.

Additionally, oftentimes newer cards such as The Great Henge quickly wind up at a high price because of standard and other formats, but stay there because of commander and scarcity.
This, but also
reprints are always welcome.
This.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

I loath there being a pricewall in mtg. I wish everything was printed into the ground until it was $5 MAX. Scalding Tarn $5. Black Lotus $5. Survival of the Fittest $5. Gaea's Cradle $5. At least the basic standard printing. Then, they can have $500 ultra rare, foil, alt-art, full-art secret layer japanese manga cards for the whales.

I've been playing this game for years and years now. I still really struggle to swallow paying more than $2-3 for a new card. If I go into the gamestore and spend >$30 on various cards I immediately wonder why I didn't just buy an entire board game.

The Crew is $15. I guarantee you'll have more fun with 4 friends playing that than EDH.
Last edited by materpillar 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

they could just randomly put Greater Auramancy in 2xm2 and it'd be a great set lol

DirkGently

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Eventually they're going to print the next command tower, the next fierce guardianship, the next arcane signet, except branded as Fortnite.
Quoted for prophecy. Kinda - at least they're not new cards. Tbh, with them just being reprints, I find it less annoying than street fighter or 40k. I was kinda hoping we'd have longer to wait before they jumped into bed with totally-unrelated pop-culture hello-fellow-kids garbage, but I ought to know better by now.

I admit that by this point I'm out of %$#% to give about the whole thing, though. Magic wants to pollute its IP, fine. Eventually it just gets too exhausting. I'm slowly finding it harder to really want to build or play, between power creep and UB and the release deluge, not to mention how hard it is to play in NZ (not sure how at-fault wotc is for that last one). Unfortunately draft is the thing where I think the experience has been the most consistently good recently, but it's also so much harder to play here. Bleh.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Quoted for prophecy. Kinda - at least they're not new cards. Tbh, with them just being reprints, I find it less annoying than street fighter or 40k. I was kinda hoping we'd have longer to wait before they jumped into bed with totally-unrelated pop-culture hello-fellow-kids garbage, but I ought to know better by now.
I don't actually mind the secret layer cards in theory. I've run into exactly one Walking Dead card since it's release. I'm not nearly as attached to mtg's high fantasy aesthetic. I think Chun Li's new card having multi-kicker is hilarious and I'm actively curious to see that card now. I'm also very interested in 40k cards. I thought the D&D cards were quite interesting overall, although the dice rolling felt really parasitic and gimmicky. I'd rather have a million random IPs scattered through the game than 1 more on theme Fierce Guardianship.

I'm also really curious for what appears to be cyberpunk kamigawa and mobster demons.
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
I admit that by this point I'm out of %$#% to give about the whole thing, though. Magic wants to pollute its IP, fine. Eventually it just gets too exhausting. I'm slowly finding it harder to really want to build or play, between power creep and UB and the release deluge, not to mention how hard it is to play in NZ (not sure how at-fault wotc is for that last one).
Power creep and price creep are the main turn offs for me. Again, why buy Scalding Tarn when I can buy Brass Birmingham or Terraforming Mars? Oh, Tarn's price dropped quite a bit.
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Unfortunately draft is the thing where I think the experience has been the most consistently good recently, but it's also so much harder to play here. Bleh.
Power creep has been slowly turning me off limited also. My favorite sets can be described as "Is Goliath Spider a reasonable playable?" That's become the case less and less often recently. I hate magic where if you stumble slightly on your curve you just immediately die.

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 years ago

I don't vibe with the SL or the UB but I'm liking the standard sets. I have a Yuriko deck so Kamigawa will be fun to look too and we are at least will get a ninja planeswalker and I love Tamiyo so I'd bet she will be in t he set as well. I like Ob and Elspeth so Capenna already has me interested as well.

Kinda disappointed about DnD commander legends as I kinda wanna keep my commanders as magic characters (part of the flavor of making a deck for each color/combos/colorless/snow) so I'll be kinda disappointed if they have a commander I wanna build around. That said I liked many of the cards for the 99 in the first one and I don't mind using cross-over cards for the 99.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”