[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

I love both Magic and tabletop roleplaying and I'm less than enthused about this set being D&D. I've never been one to like something because it's associated with something I like (see: Star Wars nerds that love everything Star Wars just because it's Star Wars) so I really only care about the cards themselves. That said, I remain skeptical of WotC's motives.

JWK
Elder Thing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I don't understand how a Tarrasque doesn't have trample either :P Goofy.
That irks me about a crapload of cards. Gigantic eldrazi, for example.

Same thing with reach, honestly.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
I love both Magic and tabletop roleplaying and I'm less than enthused about this set being D&D. I've never been one to like something because it's associated with something I like (see: Star Wars nerds that love everything Star Wars just because it's Star Wars) so I really only care about the cards themselves. That said, I remain skeptical of WotC's motives.
You really shouldn't worry about WotC's motives on this, they are literally giving the long time fans of MTG something they've wanted ever since WotC bought the remnants of TSR and getting the D&D IP. The successes of the Planeshift PDF's (and the Ravnica campaign setting for D&D) just cemented their willingness to finally do it.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

JWK wrote:
2 years ago
That irks me about a crapload of cards
I started re-thinking about the tarrasque..does it maybe stop to eat when it kills something and that's why it doesn't trample? :P:

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Flavor wise Tarrasque should have been on par with B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster) 99/99 takes a number of creatures to block it IMO
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
Flavor wise Tarrasque should have been on par with B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster) 99/99 takes a number of creatures to block it IMO
It's not *that* big. It's really only about as large as a Great Wyrm Red or Gold Dragon. Which means, if anything it should be an indestructible, hexproofed 8/8.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

@RxPhantom

My friend is getting evicted today and he told me "the worst case is happening" without any further info. So I get worried sick until I got a hold of him (hours later) and have him tell me the specifics of his crisis. It's fine now that I've spent all day in the 95 degree heat moving his %$#% into storage, but in the moment I was pissed and super worried because he wasn't telling me what I needed to know to best assist him.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

@TheAmericanSpirit: we should all be lucky enough to have a friend as loyal as you.

@everyone: Battle Cry Goblin doesn't have battle cry, and it will bother me for all my days.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

I'm not all that great. I don't have many friends though, so I try to take care of the few I've got.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

I feel like the influence and originality of D&D is quite overstated these days. In terms of tone and narrative, it largely agglomerated the then-prevailing trends in pulp fantasy and Tolkien-clones. It barely touched the New Wave, which was still too risky. It just happened to outlast most of the other fantasy pulps, because unlike most of the others, it got bought up by people who kept putting money behind it after it became unfashionable. So now when people look at the monster aesthetic, the naming conventions, and the straddling of high and proto-urban fantasy, they think they think D&D introduced them.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
I feel like the influence and originality of D&D is quite overstated these days. In terms of tone and narrative, it largely agglomerated the then-prevailing trends in pulp fantasy and Tolkien-clones. It barely touched the New Wave, which was still too risky. It just happened to outlast most of the other fantasy pulps, because unlike most of the others, it got bought up by people who kept putting money behind it after it became unfashionable. So now when people look at the monster aesthetic, the naming conventions, and the straddling of high and proto-urban fantasy, they think they think D&D introduced them.
Depends on what you mean by influence I suppose. In terms of inspiring new literature it might not do a whole lot. I think it does a lot to keep pulpy agglomerated proto-urban fantasy a familiar setting in the current nerd society. When I think of dragons I think of Green Dragons and Black Dragons, before I think of Smaug. I've seen a handful of people cosplay as their own D&D characters and a bunch of Critical Role cosplays.

BeneTleilax

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
Depends on what you mean by influence I suppose. In terms of inspiring new literature it might not do a whole lot. I think it does a lot to keep pulpy agglomerated proto-urban fantasy a familiar setting in the current nerd society. When I think of dragons I think of Green Dragons and Black Dragons, before I think of Smaug. I've seen a handful of people cosplay as their own D&D characters and a bunch of Critical Role cosplays.
D&D has a fandom, it would be insane to argue that it didn't. All I'm saying is that if D&D never happened, the broader fantasy landscape would look largely the same as it does now. The game seeded some of the ultra-accessorized cartoonish look of WoW, but I can't think of much of substance beyond that.

Hermes_

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
D&D has a fandom, it would be insane to argue that it didn't. All I'm saying is that if D&D never happened, the broader fantasy landscape would look largely the same as it does now. The game seeded some of the ultra-accessorized cartoonish look of WoW, but I can't think of much of substance beyond that.
https://dungeonsdragons.fandom.com/wiki ... 26_Dragons

https://www.thegamer.com/dungeons-and-d ... red-games/

BeneTleilax

The game mechanics inspired a bunch of other game mechanics, but that wasn't what I was talking about.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

Well my overall stance remains unchanged about seeing these cards intermixed within regular Magic, but I am incredibly excited to turn my D&D horde deck i built a year ago into something functional and fun to play.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

So far most of these cards are so bad or parasitic that they won't probably make it into a lot of EDH decks, and those that do will not be big culture shocks, so I guess I'm fine...so far. We'll see when the set's Hullbreacher shows up :P

materpillar
the caterpillar

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
The game mechanics inspired a bunch of other game mechanics, but that wasn't what I was talking about.
I think you mean it didn't basically create a huge flurry of books clearly inspired by it aka Tolkien and fantasy, Frankenstein and Sci-fi, The Hunger Games and YA stuff, Game of Thrones and gritty fantasy.

I agree D&D didn't directly inspire a bunch of knock offs. It was always built as a framework to inspire people into fantasy storytelling. I think creating and maintaining the populations interest in fantasy has definitely shaped the modern fantasy landscape. It also cemented a ton of tropes in fantasy storytelling/archetypes/monsters.

Hermes_

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
would this be better? https://bookstr.com/list/5-books-inspir ... d-dragons/

https://midkemia.fandom.com/wiki/Midkemia_Wiki

here's a nice full thread from enworld https://www.enworld.org/threads/d-d-inf ... ls.159519/

BeneTleilax

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
I agree D&D didn't directly inspire a bunch of knock offs. It was always built as a framework to inspire people into fantasy storytelling. I think creating and maintaining the populations interest in fantasy has definitely shaped the modern fantasy landscape. It also cemented a ton of tropes in fantasy storytelling/archetypes/monsters.
It's not just direct imitators, but real influence. It took the safest, most popular fantasy tropes of its time and repeated them for decades while adding next to nothing of its own. There's nothing there to take inspiration from, beyond the name drops and wry in-jokes.

materpillar
the caterpillar

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
It's not just direct imitators, but real influence. It took the safest, most popular fantasy tropes of its time and repeated them for decades while adding next to nothing of its own. There's nothing there to take inspiration from, beyond the name drops and wry in-jokes.
Wikipedia Critical Role wrote:On January 11, 2018, the second campaign's first episode peaked at 135 thousand viewers on Twitch and YouTube, compared to the first campaign finale's 40,000 viewers.
Literally hundreds of thousands of people are watching Critical Role? Critical Role also has a comic book and is getting made into an animated TV show. It's popular enough that it got an official D&D book related to its setting. That's pretty clearly inspiration beyond name drops and in-jokes.

D&D's whole shtick is that its a pretty bland setting and ruleset that you can warp and change to tell whatever fantasy shlock story you want in it. It's inspiring literally millions of people to make up fantasy stories with their friends. Those stories aren't turned into books but that're definitely having an effect on our culture and the stories we tell. Just look at the amount of books 5th edition has been selling.
wiki wrote:The year 2017 had "the most number of players in its history—12 million to 15 million in North America alone".[17]
To say that that many books/players isn't having influence seems absurd to me.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Considering our savior Garfield wouldn't have even created Magic if not for D&D and a need to burn time between campaign sessions, I don't think the cultural influence of D&D can be denied in any capacity. If anything, AFR almost feels like a homecoming to the game's original intent, 28 years in the making.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

Can I get some opinions on something?
I sold a bunch of RL cards. I have a newborn and a house that needs a new kitchen and just seems crazy to hold onto this stuff that I barely even play with.

In any case, found out one of the cards, a Revised dual land, is fake!!!
I found in my email receipts that I bought it from an LGS 5 years ago. Price has gone up considerably on this card since then, as you can imagine.

What would you do in that situation?
Side note: I almost never buy from this store anymore because they kept selling my preorders to people at the door and then making me wait months to get my stuff.
All discussions with friends has lead me to believe there is very little chance of the owner of the LGS taking responsibility.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
Considering our savior Garfield wouldn't have even created Magic if not for D&D and a need to burn time between campaign sessions, I don't think the cultural influence of D&D can be denied in any capacity. If anything, AFR almost feels like a homecoming to the game's original intent, 28 years in the making.
Not to mention the first Final Fantasy is basically pulled straight from 1E D&D.
Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
I sold a bunch of RL cards. I have a newborn and a house that needs a new kitchen and just seems crazy to hold onto this stuff that I barely even play with.

I found in my email receipts that I bought it from an LGS 5 years ago. Price has gone up considerably on this card since then, as you can imagine.

Side note: I almost never buy from this store anymore because they kept selling my preorders to people at the door and then making me wait months to get my stuff.
All discussions with friends has lead me to believe there is very little chance of the owner of the LGS taking responsibility.
It's just the one? Let them know and make amends.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 2 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago

Let them know but don't expect that they'll voluntarily take any action after five years. Talking to them is free on your end and it sounds like you're not going to be too put out if it burns that bridge. I wouldn't expect to get anything back from them without going through small claims court or something, though.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Where do you draw the line with more theme decks, or even more decks in general? I recently had an epiphany that Snapdax, Apex of the Hunt would make a great commander for another Malazan deck. I don't want another deck to take care of and curate, I already have 3 new ones I've not uploaded lists for, and I'm at about 16 decks total. But this would cover areas I haven't covered mechanically elsewhere, being focused on equipment, voltron and mutate. Comes off the back of today's RCOTD, Thalia, Heretic Cathar who'd make a very good character addition and mechanical addition. Damn you Magic, damn you Malazan, damn you 3drinks.
(edit - and then the whole idea falls over because you can't mutate humans - my wallet breathes a sigh of relief :grin: )
Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
Sounds like you lose nothing addressing it with the owner, although after 5 years it's probably quite easy for them to make any number of excuses to divert blame, and very few ways for you to actually hold them to any sort of compensation. It also doesn't sound like a relationship you'd be sad to see the back of if it turns south, so there's no harm in having that discussion.

It'd be a pretty nasty move to pull, but if you desperately needed to, or if things got nasty you could tell him you'll make it public knowledge that you were sold a fake by their store. It's not something I'd recommend unless things go waaaaay south, but that option is available to you if you really needed the money and things turned sour. Without proof it's basically blackmail which wouldn't sit well with me in a normal situation, but if the guy is a jerk to you....well giving someone a taste of their own medicine is a slightly different scenario. It is still a bit gray area karmically, so I'd be very, very reluctant to go this route unless there's no other options personally.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”