Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Igzex
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
When I first started playing (11 years old), hardcasting Krosan Colossus and Krosan Cloudscraper was the endgame to my derpy green ramp deck, the second deck I ever built. My inner child saw the tarrasque and threw a bucket of nostalgia over me like gatorade. I gotta have one. I gotta have ten!

Shame the dnd crowd doesn't seem enthused by it for whatever reason. Oh well, more for me.
I think D&D players were expecting Tarrasque to be a LOT harder to remove. It constantly regenerates in source, even if it's "killed" conventionally. The only way to actually kill it is to reduce its HP to negative 30 and then casting Wish or Miracle and requesting that it stays dead.

I kinda like that it's not an absolute pain in the butt to remove though because I still have emotional scars from the Eldrazi titans.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

I need Orb of Dragonkind for my Ur-Dragon deck. Just for the flavor. Of course, I also need Tiamat for it, and Icingdeath would be icing on the cake (lol).
Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
I think D&D players were expecting Tarrasque to be a LOT harder to remove. It constantly regenerates in source, even if it's "killed" conventionally. The only way to actually kill it is to reduce its HP to negative 30 and then casting Wish or Miracle and requesting that it stays dead.
And that still doesn't kill it permanently, it still comes back after several years. The thing literally cannot stay dead. Not even Ao, the literal overgod of the Forgotten Realms can kill it (not it kill Dendar, the Night Serpent or the Elf-Eater, both of which are just as nasty as the Tarrasque.)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
I need Orb of Dragonkind for my Ur-Dragon deck. Just for the flavor. Of course, I also need Tiamat for it, and Icingdeath would be icing on the cake (lol).
Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
And that still doesn't kill it permanently, it still comes back after several years. The thing literally cannot stay dead. Not even Ao, the literal overgod of the Forgotten Realms can kill it (not it kill Dendar, the Night Serpent or the Elf-Eater, both of which are just as nasty as the Tarrasque.)
Tempting but my dragon deck only has 27 or 28 dragon cards and none have activated abilities.

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

Dawnbringer Cleric slots perfectly into my cleric tribal deck and you see a pair of goblins goes right into Winota.

Edit: Dawnbringer Cleric also works well in Winota. It's not the most powerful human to cheat into play, but it does have utility.
Last edited by NZB2323 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Igzex

Gashnaw wrote:
2 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
Tempting but my dragon deck only has 27 or 28 dragon cards and none have activated abilities.
Orb of Dragonkind is honestly garbage. You are better off with any generic 2 CMC mana roc- ONLY 27-28 DRAGONS?! Jeez man and I thought my build was pushing it at 24!

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Gashnaw wrote:
2 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
Eh, it's mostly a meme deck. It has never been intended to be a serious threat, just all dragons all the time. It's pretty fun to play (and surprisingly effective if it gets going.)

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

While there are obvious exceptions like the Gaea's Cradle elf, a lot of these cards are more cool and flavorful than actually good, but I'm pretty okay with that.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Book of Vile Darkness

HYPE

Moreso for the Hand and Eye since the Book itself isn't super great in EDH but if the other two have modal activated abilities I'm interested.

Igzex

JWK wrote:
2 years ago
While there are obvious exceptions like the Gaea's Cradle elf, a lot of these cards are more cool and flavorful than actually good, but I'm pretty okay with that.
Oh don't get me wrong I'm kinda relieved that I have yet to see some overpushed nightmare but I do think dragon support could be a little more pushed. It says something that they have support like Dragon Tempest, The Ur-Dragon, and Crux of Fate and they're still absolute trash tier to the point where current day commander precons will body an optimized build for free.

Also I'm probably still bitter that the Draconic Rage precon is apparently going to be anger flavored aggro and not a dragon tribal deck full of new support.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

I think Circle of Dreams Druid is a mite overhyped. Elves has always been far and away the biggest user of Cradle-type effects, and Elvish Archdruid is just better there. I do like that they're starting to put more color-intensive costs on ramp/goodstuff cards like this, as it dissuades trying to jam them everywhere. Otherwise, this would go right into Chulane and non-Tribal Edric, and I don't really want to see it there.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

It's really weird seeing all those weird expectations for the Tarrasque, when like... I, personally, do not expect my games to encompass the literal years it takes to regenerate a Tarrasque. Sure, it can't be killed fully in universe... but it sure as heck can be put down for the course of a battle.

Igzex

Ebondeath, Dracolich is pretty decent. Always having a dragon to flash in to trigger your dragon tribal synergies (Until you get BOJUKA'D) is pretty cool. Adult Gold Dragon is fine in constructed play I guess but not really anything amazing in EDH though that there's apparently going to be different ages for these dragons makes me wonder if it's just gonna be possible to build 50 lands 49 dragons Tiamat just for lols

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
Ebondeath, Dracolich is pretty decent. Always having a dragon to flash in to trigger your dragon tribal synergies (Until you get BOJUKA'D) is pretty cool. Adult Gold Dragon is fine in constructed play I guess but not really anything amazing in EDH though that there's apparently going to be different ages for these dragons makes me wonder if it's just gonna be possible to build 50 lands 49 dragons Tiamat just for lols
Wow that ebondeath is pretty cool :)

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Oddly, I think my favorite card shown is Dawnbringer Cleric. I've been wanting some incidental gravehate in Feather that didn't feel like I was going out of my way to ruin someone's afternoon, AND another piece of enchantment removal ever since Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge, and this is both, for cheap, at common!

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

Kinda funny that one of the most liked cards so far is that Dawnbringer Cleric lol. On the flip side, I hate how those unique lands look in the showcase whatever version. Construction paper ahoy. Looks awful IMO.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
2 years ago
Kinda funny that one of the most liked cards so far is that Dawnbringer Cleric lol. On the flip side, I hate how those unique lands look in the showcase whatever version. Construction paper ahoy. Looks awful IMO.
I'm going to put that one in my Ayli/Lurrus deck, such utility is great in that deck.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

these uncommon dragons are just as dull as the Tarkir ones and the fact that they'll be sharing space in the set boosters with the showcase cards makes me a bit less interested in buying anything sealed. just cant deal with dragons being balanced for limited, cannot look at them xP

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

I'm fascinated by how much love Dawnbringer Cleric is getting but then I also love him. He's beefier than Monk Realist while giving the option to instead be targeted grave hate (which white shockingly lacks on a good body; he's a lot more efficient than Disposal Mummy and while he's less efficient than Mardu Woe-Reaper he also hits any card and not just creatures). Lifegain is a fine fail-rate even though it's less life than Temple Acolyte or Lone Missionary. He's no Charming Prince but he looks like he's gonna do some work in a variety of Human, Cleric, and weenie decks.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

folding_music wrote:
2 years ago
these uncommon dragons are just as dull as the Tarkir ones and the fact that they'll be sharing space in the set boosters with the showcase cards makes me a bit less interested in buying anything sealed. just cant deal with dragons being balanced for limited, cannot look at them xP
Eh, the black one will find a home in reanimation decks for the sole reason that it is an evasive body with a removal spell tacked on. The green one is pretty damn efficient for a green flyer, and has "pseudo-removal" as well.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

I'd say that a big issue with the Tarkir uncommon dragons was that there were multiple cycles, and all of them were almost identical in stats - either a 4/4 flyer for 6, or a 3/3 flyer for 6 with megamorph (plus the monument cycle). If there is only a single cycle this time, and the stats/MV actually vary a bit, it would help a lot. We're also seeing dragonborn at smaller sizes this time.

In defense of the Tarkir dragons, I will note that Savage Ventmaw and Swift Warkite are pretty sweet.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Me: I hate tutors.

Also me: Well, I gotta try Moon-Blessed Cleric in enchantment decks.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
I'm fascinated by how much love Dawnbringer Cleric is getting but then I also love him. He's beefier than Monk Realist while giving the option to instead be targeted grave hate (which white shockingly lacks on a good body; he's a lot more efficient than Disposal Mummy and while he's less efficient than Mardu Woe-Reaper he also hits any card and not just creatures). Lifegain is a fine fail-rate even though it's less life than Temple Acolyte or Lone Missionary. He's no Charming Prince but he looks like he's gonna do some work in a variety of Human, Cleric, and weenie decks.
Unless you're playing a blink deck, I like Dawnbringer Cleric better than charming prince. The blinking of charming prince may not always be that valuable, scrying 2 isn't that great, and enchantment removal and GY hate is great. In Winota I cut charming prince for War Priest of Thune, because Overwhelming Splendor absolutely destroys Winota and between Ghen, Arcanum Weaver, Tuvasa the Sunlit, Estrid, the Masked, Zur the Enchanter, Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge, and now Sythis, Harvest's Hand, enchantment removal feels better than ever.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Circle of Dreams Druid speaks to me. I'm all about it, hype or no hype.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

NZB2323 wrote:
2 years ago
In Winota I cut charming prince for War Priest of Thune, because Overwhelming Splendor absolutely destroys Winota
Of course you realise that war priest of thune can't destroy overwhelming splendor (on you)?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
Me: I hate tutors.

Also me: Well, I gotta try Moon-Blessed Cleric in enchantment decks.
I initially read Moon-Blessed Cleric as only fetching auras, like Heliod's Pilgrim. Fetching any enchantment makes is a lot better, even if it is to top of deck instead of to hand.
....I'm also amused that with all the splashy mythics and dragons revealed so far, the most EDH-playable card revealed so far is a two mana white common.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”