[Official] State of Modern Thread (B&R 07/13/2020)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

cfusionpm wrote:
2 years ago
Excited for the Betterskull card. Seems like a great target to run alongside a Batterskull and Sword of Feast and Famine main, with the Fire and Ice in the side. I know what I'll be playing when I can finally shuffle up paper cards again. The trample and indestructible is really helpful in a lot of matchups, while the lifelink and vigilance is more helpful in others.
nice, the phyrexians always makes things better. Compleated Kaldra is hot.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 2 years ago

There must be some broken and busted Urza / tezzeret deck with the new lands. They make solid targets for scissors too.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 2 years ago

Nice to see cursed totem in.
I have asked for this on every survey done by WOTC.

robertleva

drmark are you thinking what I am thinking? RW lockdown.
Robert Leva

Simto

Post by Simto » 2 years ago

robertleva wrote:
2 years ago
There must be some broken and busted Urza / tezzeret deck with the new lands. They make solid targets for scissors too.
Scissor me timbers! Aren't the lands too slow being tap lands? I mean you don't see many of the dual snow lands being played either.
Either way, I'm excited to see artifact decks maybe popping up.

robertleva

Simto wrote:
2 years ago
robertleva wrote:
2 years ago
Scissor me timbers! Aren't the lands too slow being tap lands? I mean you don't see many of the dual snow lands being played either.
The only thing that makes them playable is the indestructible part. That gives you a really solid foundation to build on beyond just darksteel. Maybe it will be a new deck that arises. Emry + urza + ??? = profit I guess.
Robert Leva

Bearscape
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Bearscape » 2 years ago

Modern horizons 2 has been absurd so far. I expected them to tone it down from MH1, but they might've actually turned it up further.

I have no clue what modern will look like after this

iTaLenTZ

Post by iTaLenTZ » 2 years ago

Shardless Agent is a huge misstake. It goes straight into Humans as a 4 off and some blue decks using it alongside AV

Tzoulis

Post by Tzoulis » 2 years ago

robertleva wrote:
2 years ago
robertleva wrote:
2 years ago
The only thing that makes them playable is the indestructible part. That gives you a really solid foundation to build on beyond just darksteel. Maybe it will be a new deck that arises. Emry + urza + ??? = profit I guess.
They still die to Karn, and they ETB tapped, which is a HUGE issue. Now, they may end up playing a few just to fix colors and up the artifact count, but I'd rather play a couple Darksteel Citadels first than those. Again, Artifact decks don't need/want artifact lands, they're more of a liability than a boon; they need speed and consistency, which Mox Opal gave them. So, unless they get card(s) tha do both, artifact decks will be relegated to meme status.

It seems we will be getting the UW and RW artifact matters cards the last few days of spoilers, so just consider the time I'm writing this when reading what I wrote. :P
Simto wrote:
2 years ago
For "Affinity" (see Robots), probably yes. For other more midrange-y artifact decks, probably also yes, and also a HUGE liability with Karn running around and so much efficient Artifact hate. But, I'd LOVE a proper Tezzeret Tribal deck to be viable (but pls give me back Paradoxical Artifact Decks).
iTaLenTZ wrote:
2 years ago
Shardless Agent is a huge misstake. It goes straight into Humans as a 4 off and some blue decks using it alongside AV
I don't really think Humans want to play it (since they got Vials - both to cascade into and play it), but UGx fairer decks will certainly rejoice and enjoy it. I for sure am going to try it in my 5 Color Niv, but I'm not sure of how useful it'll be.

robertleva

THere's too much to even begin to try to predict at this point. All we can do is let the dust settle. I am guessing the lowest common denom is Rx prowess-y things. But I think there are a ton of new angles that can be viable. Folks will need time to figure it all out. We need about 3 months of some disgusting OP deck to oppress all fair decks, and then we can adjust to that. Everything will be different after MH2 but in the most important way, nothing will change in Modern.

Modern as a format is all about jamming whatever is most broken until they ban it, and then rinse and repeat for whatever is around at that time. MH2 just emphasizes this identity.
Robert Leva

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 2 years ago

I have no idea where the format is going to settle, but I'm likely going to jam some kind of proactive Stoneforge pile until things flesh out. OR go hard into TTB/Emmy with the addition of Suspend, Strike it Rich, and Prismari Command that tackle the mana costs and removal struggles, along the suite of Bolts, Snaps, Remands, Forces, and Cryptics.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

I'm wondering if modular will be a viable strat for things in artifact bots, I already have a partial decklist but until spoiler season has ran its course I'm VERY reluctant to try and build a robots variant. Though I do have to ask other than Voltaic key are there any other cheap or free ways to untap in bots?

Simto

Sol Talisman oh shiiiiiiiii

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

Simto wrote:
2 years ago
Sol Talisman oh shiiiiiiiii
Yeah no. The turn you want this is one not three.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

Sol Talisman is neat but it's probably way to slow for modern. I'm really liking all the modular/artifact support in this set though

robertleva

If sol talisman is on the board, what is it's mana value? 0 or does it still have no mana value?
Robert Leva

Simto

I don't think it has a mana value.

iTaLenTZ

Post by iTaLenTZ » 2 years ago

Already making a prediction: Grief will eat a ban or evoke will get a rules change

I have been playtesting it with Ephemerate and it is busted. Making your opponent discard twice on turn 1 and again for free on turn 2 while having a 3/2 menace on the board is ridiculous. At that point its just a non-game.

robertleva

iTaLenTZ wrote:
2 years ago
Already making a prediction: Grief will eat a ban or evoke will get a rules change

I have been playtesting it with Ephemerate and it is busted. Making your opponent discard twice on turn 1 and again for free on turn 2 while having a 3/2 menace on the board is ridiculous. At that point its just a non-game.
It's being discussed on the 8Rack group. If you hit the combo on t1 you basically win the game on the spot. It's effectiveness wears off exponentially as the game goes on, Ephemerate being useless to topdeck by itself. Still, the T1 play with no way for the opponent to respond other than a free spell of his own is pretty devastating. No idea where it pans out in the long run. Grief is pretty breakable.
Robert Leva

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 2 years ago

MagicAids has a decent snapshot of how the deck plays out, it makes Grief look really busted. He proposes an evoke rules change but I think it's an over complicated solution compared to just banning Grief. No other evoke cards are clamoring to be flickered into a B&R so why change the whole mechanic? Solitude looked very strong as well but not busted like Grief did. I think retooling a deck to abuse Solitude and not Grief would really make the rest of the cycle look very tame. What would they even change the evoke rules to anyway? The creature is sac'd Split Second? So you can totally respond to triggers- oh, except that one. It just seems like an extraneous peace offering to what should be an obvious ban (or shouldn't have been printed in the first place, whatever).

I do think it'll be interesting to see if it does actually take over the meta. After watching the MagicAids video I think it has some serious potential and very little recourse from an opponent. I'm far more interested in Solitude because Grief looks like it's not long for this world... or at least it'll be very obvious that it needs a ban for about 6 months and they'll ban Ephemerate first.

robertleva

Don't even need ephemerate, you can keep the whole thing mono black with Malakir's Rebirth, which is spell-land so you can save deck space.
Robert Leva

Simto

Break the Ice
Just %$#% ban the tron lands Wizards and be done with it instead of this %$#%.

robertleva

Muhahahah die tron! This gives jund (and 8Rack hehe) a nice weapon to fight Tronplayer122114441. Dimir flashing this back with Snapcaster seems hilarious as well.
Robert Leva

ModernInExile

Post by ModernInExile » 2 years ago

Finally, between this and the red dragon and the artifact, we can hopefully close the book on a deck that has lived far too long.

The fact we also get snow hate as an escape valve is good to.

Long live Answers.

robertleva

Break the Ice has a quite a bit of splash hate. Cavern of Souls, Blast Zone, Field of Ruin if they tap out, etc.
Robert Leva

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”