aka
VELVET THUNDER
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

99 is great. Every season when they got renewed I was pleasantly surprised, and while their run will be coming to an end this year I think it's just awesome that they were able to go so far.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

I'm a big fan of Mike Schur's shows. There's an uplifting wholesomeness while retaining some feeling of stakes and engagement. My favourite of the bunch is Parks and Recreation, though credit where credit is due Brooklyn Nine Nine offers great quality all through its impressive run time. I'm glad they get to go out with a planned finale this time, the original season five ending felt a bit rushed and derivative of sentiments in other shows.

The guy recently co-created Rutherford Falls, and it's an interesting watch - a very nice Indigenous storyline that has an absolutely unnecessary, borderline cringe Ed Helms character be the main star. The show hasn't been renewed for season two yet, but I feel there's potential there for the setup to hit its stride if some proportions get rejiggered.

Anybody got any recommendations of similarly wholesome shows to ingest? I'm finishing up a Futurama rewatch and am looking for something new to sink into.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
2 years ago
I'm a big fan of Mike Schur's shows. There's an uplifting wholesomeness while retaining some feeling of stakes and engagement. My favourite of the bunch is Parks and Recreation, though credit where credit is due Brooklyn Nine Nine offers great quality all through its impressive run time. I'm glad they get to go out with a planned finale this time, the original season five ending felt a bit rushed and derivative of sentiments in other shows.

The guy recently co-created Rutherford Falls, and it's an interesting watch - a very nice Indigenous storyline that has an absolutely unnecessary, borderline cringe Ed Helms character be the main star. The show hasn't been renewed for season two yet, but I feel there's potential there for the setup to hit its stride if some proportions get rejiggered.

Anybody got any recommendations of similarly wholesome shows to ingest? I'm finishing up a Futurama rewatch and am looking for something new to sink into.
I really enjoy The Great North (with Nick Offerman of Parks & Rec) and Bob's Burgers as kinda animated things with a similar feel.

Letterkenny is...not wholesome in the same way, but has its moments.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

I assume you've seen the Good Place? I couldn't recommend it more. I also enjoyed Schitt's Creek.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

The Good Place is another Mike Schur creation, a lovely show with a fandom that takes the thing too seriously. As such, I'm currently on sabbatical from the thing until the discussions I've been subjected to in the meme group my sis added me to leave my system :P Will rewatch at some point eventually. Good calls on all of these, I've made it through ~7 seasons of Bob's Burgers and liked it, should catch up. And the rest I know not of, so I get to check them out, thanks!

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 2 years ago

All of those are solid recs. Schitt's Creek in particular is probably my favorite thing to come out of the last decade.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Yep, Mike Schur is top notch. I can't wait for Rutherford Falls to hit Netflix here, I've heard very good things. I've enjoyed everything if his I've seen, aside from the office. When I think of the office I think of Ricky Gervais and it just doesn't sit right seeing Steve Carell instead. Different vibes I know, the heart wants what the heart wants I guess.

I've specifically loved that all of them are really uplifting and positive in different ways. The Good Place was a super fun look at philosophy and the big questions with great emphasis on depth of character, Parks and Rec is a really nice way to look at overcoming adversity and being part of something bigger than yourself. I think Nick Offerman's character has aged a little post Trump, but they still skirt that right leaning libertarian vibe pretty well. And 99...I wish the cops here were this morally upstanding.

On the other side of the pond, there's similar heritage in Britain with sitcoms. My favorites are by a guy called Graham Linehan. He did Father Ted, Black Books and The IT Crowd which were all excellent. Linehan hasn't aged well, he turned up on the morally wrong side of the lgbt+ divide alongside JK Rowling, but sometimes you have to separate the artist from the art (except for the IT crowd episode 'The Speech', that got pulled after Linehan was banned from Twitter). Nonetheless, there's comedy gold in his stuff with some big names - Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, Matt Berry, Richard Ayoade, Noel Fielding and more.

toctheyounger

Oh and yeah, Schitt's Creek is fantastic too. I watched it over my wife's shoulder the first time around and just thought it was weird and unfunny. Took a good rewatch to really shine for me. Very clever and witty, with some great acting talent to boot. Catherine O'Hara is simply perfect.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

So I read all the old Arena MTG novels when they were first released in the Wayne's World era and yet somehow I managed to miss that the main character was named Garth. I was probably distracted waiting for my Mana Crypt to come in the mail.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

I read the first novel and remember almost nothing about it, or about Garth as a character. Not-very-good generic fantasy with lots of MtG refereces jammed in. I can't recall whether I read the sequel or not. Not exactly a high point in MtG lore.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

JWK wrote:
2 years ago
I read the first novel and remember almost nothing about it, or about Garth as a character. Not-very-good generic fantasy with lots of MtG refereces jammed in. I can't recall whether I read the sequel or not. Not exactly a high point in MtG lore.
This is my exact memory as well. Literally the only thing I remember is they were in an arena fighting mage battles and main character casts a fireball for the climactic finishing move. Or maybe he casts it at some other point. IDK. All I know is I never got my crappy Sewers of whatever.

I did NOT read the sequel or any novels after that disappointment.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

The only other detail I remember is that he shacked up with a Benalish Hero.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

Dinking around nexus and I randomly looked over at the Emojis.

Suddenly I am looking at :shhh: and the only thing going through my head was "we should change that one to look like Bill Cosbey". Am I a terrible person?
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
Dinking around nexus and I randomly looked over at the Emojis.

Suddenly I am looking at :shhh: and the only thing going through my head was "we should change that one to look like Bill Cosbey". Am I a terrible person?
well you were already a terrible person
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

So in preparation for things opening up I finally got around to ordering the cards I need to finish my decks (plus some others I want like the Triomes, because Triomes) and I was surprised how much cheaper Japanese and Chinese cards were compared to English. Most of these were one to three dollar cheaper. It was a great deal. Saved me a bunch. But basically, I was wondering what other people think about non-English (or if you are in a place where English is not the native language, non-native) cards. Honestly, I don't mind and in some cases, like Sarkhan, Fireblood in German, I actively prefer it. Plus with phones it is so easy to look up card wording (and most old cards have been errata to Hell and back anyways) I don't think it is a big deal. Plus it gives me a chance to practice my Japanese which has gotten really rusty thanks to a decade of disuse.

Sidenote - I ordered a playset of Foil Etched Japanese Alt Art Mystical Archive Shock because: I love the art; they were cheaper than the non-foil etched; and it's shock, it will always be playable and in standard (unless they decide to bring back Lightning Bolt). My goodness are they beautiful. The understatedness of the foil etching (which is really only on the box border and set symbol) in my opinion enhancing the art. I thinking about getting a second playset so I can have one to play with and one to look at.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I write the rules text of my foreign cards on a slip of paper and put it in the sleeve with the card. I couldn't pass up 8 dollar Liliana (the aristocrats one) and 10 dollar Chinese goldspan dragons and 7 dollar fiery emancipation.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

I have an order of priority for my card editions, and English is at the top (outside of not being damaged/marked I suppose). The most important purpose of a card is to be functional, and imo needing to look up wording is essentially nonfunctional. Even if I know it, others may not and might make a misplay around it, or need to look it up.

For stuff like lightning bolt with simple text and iconic art it's fine I guess. But never in my life a planeswalker or anything remotely complicated.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

I definitely prefer English and ill pay more for them even if Japanese or Chinese are more available (those are predominantly what i see based on ny LGS' demographics).

That being said for a little while I had a German OG Saheeli and. a Japanese OG Lili. Simple cards I could possibly look the other way, although it would make my neuroses scream at me. But theres nothing like having foreign walkers to let you know that you don't know quite precisely how each ruling works. Theres a huge difference between 'I'll use Lili's tutor ability' and knowing exactly how that works, because even something as specific as tutoring has its nuances, and as much as I'm pretty good with knowing how most cards work, knowing precisely, on the spot, you don't always get it exactly right.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

i have a Japanese Platinum Angel but that's due to the shop i got it at only having that version
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 years ago

I've got a German Valakut because it was the only one I could find that wasn't silly money, but my preferred cost saver is to set the required quality to 'Good'. Tends to knock enough off to make it worthwile, and often they'll come through with like, a slight nick or something.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

I will only run English language cards, save for basic lands. I also try to replace older editions of cards for modern frame & rule text reprints when possible. I share my decks with other players, often those players are new to the game or format. Foreign or poorly worded text adds a layer complication I try to avoid. In certain decks meant to be loaned, I'll also avoid complicated rule interactions. For example my Valduk, Keeper of the Flame deck does not run Sundial of the Infinite to keep complex stack interactions to a minimum.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

Buying foreign language cards and buying played versions are the two biggest ways you can save money on little slips of cardboard. (Check out Star City Games, they periodically do sales on their HP stock).

That said, I will never buy them because I want to be able to read my cards and potentially understand what they do.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

I used to buy a lot of various asian language cards because they were very cheap back in the day, but now like many have said I just stick with English outside of the occasional expensive card or simple cards everyone knows in my group. Nothing complicated since I don't like looking things up when the board state gets complex and we need exact rulings.

toctheyounger

cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
Buying foreign language cards and buying played versions are the two biggest ways you can save money on little slips of cardboard. (Check out Star City Games, they periodically do sales on their HP stock).

That said, I will never buy them because I want to be able to read my cards and potentially understand what they do.
This is how I buy my online stock. I don't require pristine cardstock and to date I don't double sleeve so I'm not worried about that. Most of the time you're actually saving a ton of money for cards you really can't identify any major damage to.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”