Progenitus - 5c Political Dredge

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

Another deck I still haven't ported over from Salvation. I built this deck when Laboratory Maniac was first printed. I find this deck to be immensely enjoyable. This deck isn't about raw power, it's about subtlety. You don't win with an awe inspiring play that leaves your opponents shattered corpses lying before you. You win with nudges, with the gentlest of breezes. Your aim is to always appear to harmless (not vulnerable and weak mind you). Your battlefield is not full of giant monsters but instead full chumb blockers. Hardly worth the time to attack into and certainly not worth wasting removal on. This way your opponents resources are solely focused on crippling each other. All the while your land base slowly grows and your graveyard has more value slowly (ever so slowly!) trickle into it. You point out a threatening combo piece to the table here. Fog a Craterhoof Behemoth there. Then, after an hour of pitched warfare, the battlefield destroyed again and again. Everyone's hands are depleted. Generals have been slain multiple times. That's when your library is suddenly and surprisingly empty (when did that happen? There was so much else to worry about!) and Laboratory Maniac makes his appearance with a draw trigger on the stack. Not bringing with him glorious victory, but a peaceful end to a massive slugfest.

Basically the deck is an immensely inefficient rube goldberg machine where you durdle around in an incredibly non-threatening way while consistently hitting land drops to slowly power-up. Casting stuff like Stinkweed Imp and Lingering Souls to keep people from bothering you while never actually casting any card worth wasting removal on. Eventually you hit a critical mass of lands/lands in your graveyard. At this point you make a bunch of tokens with Life from the Loam and then kill the table with Grixis Charm. If that fails, you have Progenitus give people a Savage Beating (because 21 general damage is for chumps, we 40 people). If that fails, Laboratory Maniac is up to bat.

The most entertaining play is turn 1 land. Turn 2, bounceland. Move to discard, discard a dredge card. Other fun combos are things like Life from the Loam to loop Cephalid Coliseum as card draw. Spell Crumple followed by Tunnel Vision targeting myself.

The deck changes extremely slowly because it is all foiled out (except for Spell Crumple)
Progenitus - 5c Political Dredge

Commander

Planeswalker

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by materpillar 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Moonlighter
Lunatic
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Moonlighter » 3 years ago

I appreciate your deck designs. I think you are a madman. Wanting to hear your thoughts on Jace, Wielder of Mysteries as a spare Labman for wins? I also notice that you don't have lands that can grant Flash, which might allow you a little latitude for winning out of nowhere. Too overkill for the deck design?

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

Moonlighter wrote:
3 years ago
I appreciate your deck designs. I think you are a madman. Wanting to hear your thoughts on Jace, Wielder of Mysteries as a spare Labman for wins? I also notice that you don't have lands that can grant Flash, which might allow you a little latitude for winning out of nowhere. Too overkill for the deck design?
:love:

Laboratory Maniac is my spirit animal. "His mind whirled with grand plans, never thinking of what might happen if he were to succeed."

I built this deck specifically with Laboratory Maniac as the main win-condition. However, I quickly found out that lab man is easily the least interesting or exciting win-condition to actually win with. It almost always feels underwhelming. The printing of Jace, Wielder of Mysteries and Thassa's Oracle have only further increased the lameness of winning with Laboratory Maniac by making winning with no deck significantly more common. I personally detest Jace + Thassa's Oracle for massively reducing the uniqueness and coolness factor of laboratory maniac.

My winconditions tend to be ordered as followed
Plan A - Pillowfort out and let the table kill each other. Finish off the last person with Progenitus + Savage Beating
Plan B - Worm Harvest + Grixis Charm
Plan C - Dark Depths
Plan D - Laboratory Maniac
Plan E - Mill opponents (using Tunnel Vision+Spell Crumple / Keening Stone+Traumatize or whatnot)

I don't find the need to win out of no where to be valuable. The deck doesn't go for random blow out, lolz I win plays. It plays out more of a steady landfall ramp deck that eventually just grinds people out after they've blown their resources on each other since it has so few threatening plays.

Also, the deck is completely foiled out so making changes to the list is immensely difficult (except for Spell Crumple which doesn't have a foil printing :mad: ).

That reminds me, I wanted to pick up a Filth/Wonder so Lord of Extinction could get damage through.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

I'm thinking of cutting Ramunap Excavator, Shenanigans, World Shaper, and Stitcher's Supplier. Then, every card in this deck will have been printed before 2017 (everything before Eldritch Moon). I might lock in the list permanently after doing that.

That means I'll need to track down something like Crucible of Worlds/Splendid Reclamation, Filth, Golgari Grave-Troll and Nyx Weaver.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”