Unreleased and New Card Discussion

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Damn feels like a surprisingly sharp criticism of Christian eschatology. Damn one person, and you're evil. Damn everyone, and you're God.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

Flame Blitz is wonderful anti-planeswalker tech. I like!!
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

As a fan of graveyard decks, I have to say I feel an twinge of schadenfreude when other archetypes get dunked on by overzealous hate cards.
Last edited by BeneTleilax 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 2 years ago

"Damn you", and "Damn it all" are turns of phrase that will become much more frequent in my playgroup.

A 1 drop that burn walkers down every turn, on a resilient permanent without requiring attacks. If you play against superfriends often, that's amazing.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

The green one is the worst of a cycle :P Endurance

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Flame Blitz is so rowdy it actually seems like an old school hate card.

At very least you have to appreciate the simplicity of a card called Damn.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

Flame Blitz - Gotta love how it's that same portrayed dude from a lot of the "later" Curse of __ in the Commander decks.

Damn - Don't get me wrong, I like the card. "But it's just WoG with extra steps" as my snarky comment.

Endurance - I mean hey, may be the worst of the cycle, but it's alright. GY Hate lite offensively, and restocks your own deck defensively. in the rest of the set makes up for it lol :rofl:

^ Maybe the one will do a lightning bolt to multiple targets, or a Pyroclasm(+) that hits everything?
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Dunadain
I like turtles
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

Endurance

Loaming Shaman is a pretty good piece of tech in my Emiel the Blessed deck, adding flash and an alternate casting cost is great as that deck plays at instant speed a lot, but the ability to only shuffle some things in is also good, I've definitely shuffled everything but Chord of Calling in before or just shuffled in the one card I want to tutor for.

Still, the white one is fantastic for Emiel the Blessed, so even if Endurance isn't worth it I won't complain.

Also I get a third Eternal Witness effect, so things are really looking up for Emiel the Blessed! :parrot:

Edit: also, Damn seems pretty strong, not flashy but a Wreath of Good that can also be spot removal seems pretty great.
Of course, only Orzohv+ can run it so it's not going to replace everyone's Wrath of God, but it's going to replace a lot of them.
Last edited by Dunadain 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

I missed Sanctum Weaver yesterday and it's just perfect for my Sigarda enchantress. Got to love ramp that's this easy to tutor.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

Flame Blitz - Do you not like Planeswalkers? Because we don't. It's such an efficient hate card and has cycling that it probably deserves consideration in any red deck not running more than two or three planeswalkers. Also, side note, but when are we going to get our "Unluckiest Planeswalker" card?

Damn - It is just really good. But my favorite comment is from the thread on Sally "Sorcery speed and possibly the double black and double white in its costs brings Damn down a little bit, but otherwise that is really impressive. " Wizards just gave modern a functionally better Wrath of God and someone is complaining about its casting cost and the fact it is a sorcery. Always reminds of "Wizards could put $100 bills in packs and people would complain about how it was folded".

Endurance - It's the least abusable, but I don't think that makes it the worst. In a lot of ways it is the most functional as it has the cheapest cost, a good body with reach and flash, and an effect that every deck likes to have.

pokken

My friends and I had this discussion a few years back about how planeswalkers were getting kind of out of hand, and had a lot of power because of the lack of ways to interact with them.

We predicted that they would eventually start printing insanely overpowered hate cards against them like they did with artifacts/enchantments. And here we are with Flame Blitz. :P

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
My friends and I had this discussion a few years back about how planeswalkers were getting kind of out of hand, and had a lot of power because of the lack of ways to interact with them.
I have never had this issue, just use your creatures.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I have never had this issue, just use your creatures.
People say this all the time and I've found it's often not that simple, smart players won't be spamming PWs down unless they have enough of a board to defend it for at least a couple turns or at least force you to lose something in combat.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
Endurance - It's the least abusable, but I don't think that makes it the worst. In a lot of ways it is the most functional as it has the cheapest cost, a good body with reach and flash, and an effect that every deck likes to have.
Honestly I have trouble thinking of a scenario where a monogreen player wouldn't want this in their deck.

I suddenly had a vision of a Dredge player returning Narcomoeba and Creeping Chill to their library in response to opposing graveyard hate.

EDIT: I meant in Modern. I sometimes forget this thread is in the Commander forum.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

5colorsrainbow

Dunadain wrote:
2 years ago

People say this all the time and I've found it's often not that simple, smart players won't be spamming PWs down unless they have enough of a board to defend it for at least a couple turns or at least force you to lose something in combat.
And still more intractable than most artifacts, enchantments and lands.

For real I see your point, but also people really act like you can't do anything with planeswalkers when any creatures can likely take it down/keep it from growing and the more people there are I've noticed the less likely for a planeswalker to live past a round.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

pokken

In modern, having Karmic Guide is going to be amazingly huge for white decks. So many chord of calling shenanigans available. Chord of Calling decks were my favorite in modern, and I imagine that lark combos will be pretty good options for fun times :)

I feel like they are rapidly printing 'no reserve list legacy' into Modern too which is kinda interesting approach.
5colorsrainbow wrote:
2 years ago
For real I see your point, but also people really act like you can't do anything with planeswalkers when any creatures can likely take it down/keep it from growing and the more people there are I've noticed the less likely for a planeswalker to live past a round.
The default with walker decks, because they typically don't care about creatures, is to spend all their energy invalidating interacting with them with creatures. Humility, sweepers galore, Sphere of Safety effects, Peacekeeper, etc.

They don't have to worry much about the spell/permanent angle, so they can just burn all their energy defending from creatures. And they only have to do it for a little while before the emblems start stacking up.

In my experience with my walker heavy decks, all I need to fear are counterspells and mass removal (Hour of Revelation type stuff) in general. But they are starting to print some more focused hate which is nice :)
Last edited by pokken 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
2 years ago
And still more intractable than most artifacts, enchantments and lands.

That's what I tend to see as well, but not every meta is creature-heavy.

Sanctifier en-Vec really pushes me towards building that esper colour control deck I've been thinking about for the past few years.

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

Crazy Monkey wrote:
2 years ago
"Damn you", and "Damn it all" are turns of phrase that will become much more frequent in my playgroup.
There is no way that wasn't intentional. :rofl:

5colorsrainbow

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
Also, side note, but when are we going to get our "Unluckiest Planeswalker" card?
Big this, its the least he could get for all the misfortune he is being put through.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Crazy Monkey wrote:
2 years ago
I believe it's "damn you" and "damn youse".

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
2 years ago
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
Also, side note, but when are we going to get our "Unluckiest Planeswalker" card?
Big this, its the least he could get for all the misfortune he is being put through.
He gets printed as a creature with "This creature is a planeswalker in all zones except on the battlefield."
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
2 years ago
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
He gets printed as a creature with "This creature is a planeswalker in all zones except on the battlefield."
So he is a planeswalker without magical abilities that he can consciously control? Latterly a random dude who keeps ending up different with no understanding why? May not even realize he is on different worlds. They need to save him for revisiting plane chase.

"This creature is a planeswalker in all zones except on the battlefield."

"If ~ would become the target of a spell or ability, roll the planar die."

brainface

Post by brainface » 2 years ago

My favorite part about damn is even the most straightforward read is swearing at the overload mechanic for existing. I'm actually sad there can't really be a full cycle of curses so we're going "f#*@#( storm," etc., while just reading our cards straight.

(Also it's dammit and dammit ya'll.)

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

What's the first card that comes to mind for using with Abiding Grace?

I think it says a lot about my play style that I immediately went Spore Frog !!!

Also, reprint of Braids just makes me sad she's still banned. Banned as commander worked fine for certain cards, including this one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”