Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
Using any color of text for sarcasm is going to make you seem like a needless menace to colorblind people. Don't they have it hard enough already?
Bruh, I am colorblind...

It is hard to communicate inflection in text and I realize that I failed to do so, I have edited the original post to make that clear.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Ruiner
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
NZB2323 wrote:
2 years ago
Dunadain wrote:
2 years ago

Oftentimes, when posting something sarcastically I'll use blue text, apparently still wasn't obvious enough, I appreciate that you didn't come at me about it though.
I thought green text was the color of sarcasm?
Using any color of text for sarcasm is going to make you seem like a needless menace to colorblind people. Don't they have it hard enough already?
With how rare they are good luck getting two of them to block the menace.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

@Dunadain I'm just poking fun lol. Ruiner's response made me howl though tbh.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

I'm hyped for Glimpse of Tomorrow. I can finally Warp World my side of the board without earning the wrath of everyone else at the table and spending thirty minutes resolving it. Now I need to find a spot for it in my Golos deck ...

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Carth the lion is interesting, just wish he was 5 color.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

And here I am just happy about a non-From the Vault foil printing of Zuran Orb :danceparty:
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
While I think I do recall that being the specific wording of the storm scale, I don't really know why it would be a problem in standard. All the things that are good with storm - at least as far as I can think - are almost all outside of standard. At least from a power level perspective, standard seems like the safest place to have it.
They've pursued that line of reasoning before. That's how Storm ended up in Time Spiral. They were careful with it, limited how many enablers there were... And still broke standard with fricking Dragonstorm. The inherent problem is that if you put it in standard, you need to support it, at least a little. And even with just a little support, Storm can easily be far outside the acceptable power level for standard. Is it possible to print storm cards that won't break standard? Probably. Is it possible to do that and also make them interesting cards that people will want? Probably not.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Dunadain wrote:
2 years ago
Has a neat interaction with Pithing Needle, Meddling Mage and similar cards, chances are, you're opponent physically won't be able to name Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar.
Cheesing your opponents out of Pithing Needle effects because of a mispronunciation seems needlessly legalistic and petty.
Well it's not that great of a card. We will have to wait to see how good cookbook is, but if you are wasting a pithing needle on this thing, you are probably petty to begin with.

I would make you say the name. I mean in most case you wont have to because I am pretty sure most people will have better targets. But hey, you never know. If I feel i am the best target, i will just allow you to point.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Imperial Recruiter is always a good reprint. Wish it was rare, but oh well. Galvanic Relay is the kind of storm card I like. Requires some effort in both deckbuilding and play to go off, and is in red.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
2 years ago
BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Dunadain wrote:
2 years ago
Has a neat interaction with Pithing Needle, Meddling Mage and similar cards, chances are, you're opponent physically won't be able to name Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar.
Cheesing your opponents out of Pithing Needle effects because of a mispronunciation seems needlessly legalistic and petty.
Well it's not that great of a card. We will have to wait to see how good cookbook is, but if you are wasting a pithing needle on this thing, you are probably petty to begin with.

I would make you say the name. I mean in most case you wont have to because I am pretty sure most people will have better targets. But hey, you never know. If I feel i am the best target, i will just allow you to point.
I don't have time to go look up the exact ruling (and I would need to double check to make sure I am remembering it correctly because it has been a while), but this wouldn't work within the game as a player does not need to pronounce the card name correctly or even say the anything. They only have to communicate in such a way that the card they are implying is legal in the format and that the players in the game understand which card you are meaning to mention.

This rule changed happen because of a confusion over a player at high level tournament over a player naming Borborygmos instead of Borborygmos Enraged despite everyone knowing he meant to name Borborygmos Enraged.

Edit: Also Pithing Needle would only prevent Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar's last ability as it is the only activated ability on the card.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
I don't have time to go look up the exact ruling (and I would need to double check to make sure I am remembering it correctly because it has been a while), but this wouldn't work within the game as a player does not need to pronounce the card name correctly or even say the anything. They only have to communicate in such a way that the card they are implying is legal in the format and that the players in the game understand which card you are meaning to mention.
This is correct.

Imagine trying to be a rules lawyer without realizing that the actual rules prevent doing so in this circumstance. Lol.

BeneTleilax

I do wish Disapprove was white. Humility-lite would fit well into white's color pie, and it is better able to do cool things with cheap enchantments. Reusing the ETB for card draw is also much more needed in white.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

More stuff!
  • Imperial Recruiter reprint is appreciated, even if it is at mythic again. >.>
  • Galvanic Relay is interesting. A very powerful storm effect, in that it enables you to presumably storm off again... but you can't actually play any of the cards until your next turn. I predict that will make it unplayable, since your opponents will just kill you before you untap, but it's certainly interesting.
  • Glimpse of Tomorrow is a self-only Warp World with suspend. This is... extremely interesting. Warp World is a very abusable card in token decks, but people tend to not like the chaos it brings. However, if you're only warping your own stuff, I assume that makes it more socially acceptable? Hmmm.... Either way, strong effect.
  • Razortide Bridge / other artifact lands look sweet. I'm generally hesitant to include random artifact lands due to their vulnerability to removal, but indestructible largely negates that. Entering tapped is a significant cost though. Hmmm.... at the very least, ten more indestructible lands in the format makes MLD strategies more asymmetric.
  • Out of Time is a very interesting board wipe variant. It has the normal Oblivion Ring weakness of being reverted when it leaves the battlefield, but a three mana wrath that ignores pretty much all protection is certainly interesting. I would be surprised if the game lasted long enough for the vanishing to matter.
  • Suspend is sweet. Two turns is long enough that it will have a significant impact, but not so long that it is unlikely to matter, so it isn't quite a blue Swords to Plowshares. Definitely worth consideration / testing though.
  • Liquimetal Torque is a very interesting two mana rock. Turning things into artifacts is pretty niche, but it's a strong enabler for artifact synergies (or just turning on artifact removal). Getting the ability for free on a mana rock is quite nice.

Wallycaine

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
I do wish Disapprove was white. Humility-lite would fit well into white's color pie, and it is better able to do cool things with cheap enchantments. Reusing the ETB for card draw is also much more needed in white.
The issue is one of the totality not being white, even if the components are each probably fine. Practically, Disapprove ends up playing out like a combo of a weaker Frogify and Stifle. If it stuck around, I'd probably agree that it could be white, but the combination of Flash and sacrificing at end of turn making it (effectively) assymetrical means that it ends up leaning very heavily blue.

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

Hmm I need to consider Disapprove for my Pir & Toothy. I can use it to shut down Toothy's last ability if it would case me to deck death, or I can use it to shut down my opponent for a turn.

Refresh my memory, if I have a vanilla creature and it is enchanted by an Aura like Rancor, does Disapprove remove the trample ability? IIRC it maters which card hit the battlefield first.

Wallycaine

Gamazson wrote:
2 years ago
Hmm I need to consider Disapprove for my Pir & Toothy. I can use it to shut down Toothy's last ability if it would case me to deck death, or I can use it to shut down my opponent for a turn.

Refresh my memory, if I have a vanilla creature and it is enchanted by an Aura like Rancor, does Disapprove remove the trample ability? IIRC it maters which card hit the battlefield first.
You recall correctly. Generally, Disapprove will have the more recent timestamp, which means it will remove the trample from the creature with Rancor on it. If Rancor entered/became attached after Disapprove, then the creature will still have trample.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

Gamazson wrote:
2 years ago
It will temporarily remove all abilities the creatre has at the time Disapprove is cast, including any inherent to the creature or any provided by auras, equipment or other effects in effect at that time. You can add abilities after Disapprove resolves by equipping a creature, targeting it with an aura, casting a spell or activating an ability of a non-creature that gives a creature some ability, etc.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

BeneTleilax

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
The issue is one of the totality not being white, even if the components are each probably fine. Practically, Disapprove ends up playing out like a combo of a weaker Frogify and Stifle. If it stuck around, I'd probably agree that it could be white, but the combination of Flash and sacrificing at end of turn making it (effectively) assymetrical means that it ends up leaning very heavily blue.
Every other color gets cool bends. If you have a totality of effects that fit in white, that don't sum up to a break (white gets ability/creature hosers), I don't see how it is forbidden. It can be blue, but blue already has, as you mention, Stifle effects for this sort of thing. It's a missed opportunity in my book.

Wallycaine

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
Every other color gets cool bends. If you have a totality of effects that fit in white, that don't sum up to a break (white gets ability/creature hosers), I don't see how it is forbidden. It can be blue, but blue already has, as you mention, Stifle effects for this sort of thing. It's a missed opportunity in my book.
Even if the individual components are white, the whole thing is not. The classic example is a green 1/1 with flash, deathtouch and ETB fight. Each component is available in green. But as a whole, it's just Murder, which isn't allowed in green.

BeneTleilax

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
Even if the individual components are white, the whole thing is not. The classic example is a green 1/1 with flash, deathtouch and ETB fight. Each component is available in green. But as a whole, it's just Murder, which isn't allowed in green.
BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
...effects that fit in white, that don't sum up to a break (white gets ability/creature hosers)...
If you are going to reduce my argument to absurdities, at least don't reduce it to absurdities it explicitly rules out. White gets asymetric ability hosers, flat out, see Overwhelming Splendor, Humble and Darksteel Mutation.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Glimpse of Tomorrow will be nice in my suspend deck if i ever put it back together....
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

umtiger wrote:
2 years ago
Imagine trying to be a rules lawyer without realizing that the actual rules prevent doing so in this circumstance. Lol.
Imagine not reading the context before butting into a conversation, lol
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

Junk WInder is really solid for token-centric decks that include U, including, notably, the Quandrix commander deck. This fact, plus how well the WR/modular stuff that has been spoiled works with Osgir and other components of Lorehold, tells me that the development of this set and Strixhaven and its commander decks probably informed each other to some degree. Which is nice.
Last edited by JWK 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

Gaea's Will seems like it'll be scary. Yawg Will you have to telegraph in advance, but still, probably gonna be nasty.

Wallycaine

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
...effects that fit in white, that don't sum up to a break (white gets ability/creature hosers)...
If you are going to reduce my argument to absurdities, at least don't reduce it to absurdities it explicitly rules out. White gets asymetric ability hosers, flat out, see Overwhelming Splendor, Humble and Darksteel Mutation.
None of which, notably, cancel etb abilities in response to the spell being cast. That's what turns this card into a counterspell/stifle variant, which is blue and green, not white.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”