Unreleased and New Card Discussion

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
2 years ago
Let's not forget there is a 1/32 clause of drawing 5 cards and literally being able to play out all your spells in the first few stages of the game.
It may sound like big odds but when you get a slew of people playing Yusri, Fortune's Flame then statistically speaking this is going to happen all over the world on a daily basis.
Anyway when people are arguing over whether a card is better or worse than a bunch of top tier commanders, that just means it's a top tier commander.
There are exceptions. Vannifar is pretty dumb, but she isn't terrorizing the world over to this day. Yusri may likewise just end up a strong niche option. Only time tells.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
You can't subtract the current era of powercreep from EDH and still retain all the gameplay adjustments players made to adapt to it. Hence why I still consider the format's progression from 2011 onwards a net positive, albeit a checkered one.
You certainly had resilient threats like Uril and Rafiq that would often dominate games, as well as explosive swarm multipliers like Rhys. The format was still coming back from its "spot removal is bad in multiplayer" overcorrection when 2011 dropped Akroma and Mimeoplasm upon it. I'm also less of a clock-watcher than y'all seem to be, I don't mind games that go over an hour. For me, sitting down to play a game of EDH was like sitting down for a session of D&D, I'd devoted some time to it, and enjoyed the more casual pace as a break. If you want to maximize explosive plays/minute, I can see your liking to the increased power and your peevishness when someone spends too long doing their turn. I'd rather slow, good play and good conversations than high speed turn cycles. It's part of why I respect Eggs, Storm and their ilk more than most combo decks, because their combo turns are much more varied and complex from game to game, and they interact with answers during their combo turn in ways other than folding.

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
I don't think that's going to be an issue, really. Just roll 5 dice at once, take 2 for each odd, draw 1 for each even or something like that. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds. More time will be lost in thinking what to do after drawing 2-3 new cards. There are way worse attack triggers in the game in terms of time consumption.
You would be amazed how much time people can make stuff like that take. That coin flip partner pair from battlebond always made me want to tear my hair out when I saw it.

You and I would make it fast. Most MTGS players would. The magic community is not most MTGS players :)
I still remember the last time I played against a player using a coin flip card (PS, I don't count Mana Crypt as such). Their deck was not built around coin flips. It just had that one card.

They rummaged through their backpack for around a minute looking for a coin. I was the dice-share person for that table since I had a chessex set of small d6's. Everyone else had only spin downs for their life total.

It looked like they weren't going to be able to find the coin. I suggested they use some of my dice. The ugly look they shot back towards me didn't seem commensurate with the situation. The other players at the table were friends together outside the LGS as well, so they didn't have the same perspective as me. Honestly, a minute isn't really that long in the grand scheme of things. But I started thinking in my head about the next table that I could hop to after the game. I know they didn't ask for help, but there was no legit reason for them to be upset.

Eventually, they did find the coin and lost the flip. When the game ended, there wasn't another open game starting. I just left the LGS rather than play with them again.

Wasting time/slow play is just a pet peeve of mine. You can do anything at the appropriate speed, be it fetchlands/tutoring/topping even coin flipping. You can also do anything too slowly.

Don't hate the game, hate the playa. Also f' wotc for trying to print for EDH. "F" is for flip.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Why run Yusri, Fortune's Flame as the commander when you can run him in the 98 of Krark, the Thumbless and Sakashima of a Thousand Faces?
Well I do agree but...

Those are not the right commanders

The right commanders is Okaun, Eye of Chaos and Zndrsplt, Eye of Wisdom

Infact with Zndrsplt in play and you get the 3.45% chance of getting all 5 flips right and getting the one turn Omniscience you get to draw 10 cards rather than 5

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

JWK wrote:
2 years ago
So far the alt art treatments for the Adventures in the Forgotten Realms cards - b/w line illustrations meant to evoke the look and feel of first edition AD&D books - really turns me off.
I can't believe they screwed it up so badly. They look like cheaply made thumbnails. Garbage. If I didn't know what they were "trying" to do, I wouldn't know at all.
JWK wrote:
2 years ago
Now, if they toss in some original Erol Otus art, then we can talk.
Yes. They really %$#% up by not bringing back as many OG artists as possible and/or using original arts.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

I know very little about D&D and as a result I am not vibing with what has been spoiled so far. I can tell that they're referencing something, I don't know what it is, but it doesn't look interesting enough for me to follow up. Oh well. Not everything can be for me.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
I know very little about D&D and as a result I am not vibing with what has been spoiled so far. I can tell that they're referencing something, I don't know what it is, but it doesn't look interesting enough for me to follow up. Oh well. Not everything can be for me.
I feel the same way.

I personally don't mind it however. It will be nice to take a set "off". I do at least hope that it has a somewhat fun limited environment.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

I find it weird when people declare they're "taking a set off". Sure, the flavour or whatever isn't your preference, but if they print the next cyc rift you're just gonna ignore it because you don't like the flavour?

Btw, who's got odds on a green Volrath's Stronghold variant for lands in mh2? Or maybe a red one for planeswalkers - if they do instants or sorceries I'm pretty sure the game will implode.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Red's will let us choose an instant or sorcery then discard a card at random. Or maybe the I/S we choose will be random. Or it'll just be sorcery. Or we can only activate as a sorcery. But I like your thinking about us getting more of that cycle.

I'll still watch the D&D set for neat stuff for my collection (like that RW dwarf seems okay, and its Wayne Reynolds art is great). I mean…in theory…….WOTC should do a good job making cards with generic sword-and-sorcery flavor.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
but if they print the next cyc rift you're just gonna ignore it because you don't like the flavour?
And that's really the rub about these settings. If the special card is something egregiously non-flavorful in Magic like say, "Demolisher Cannon Barrage" or something, that's going to piss me off. :P

But I'll still play it probably. Because I'm maybe 45% spike in the end, and my johnny manifests in having to play the optimal thing for my silly synergy engines.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
I find it weird when people declare they're "taking a set off". Sure, the flavour or whatever isn't your preference, but if they print the next cyc rift you're just gonna ignore it because you don't like the flavour?
When I say off, I don't mean it in the I'm not playing it. I always play draft. But I more mean I only will need to get the cards I either want or need and don't need to be so invested in the set otherwise. That's what I did for Eldrain and Ikoria (two sets that didn't really speak to me), and honestly, it was refreshing.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

What if we get Dryad Arbor-style fetchable duals?

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 2 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
What if we get Dryad Arbor-style fetchable duals?
I'm still hoping they'll finish a Riftstone Portal land cycle.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

DirkGently

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
When I say off, I don't mean it in the I'm not playing it. I always play draft. But I more mean I only will need to get the cards I either want or need and don't need to be so invested in the set otherwise. That's what I did for Eldrain and Ikoria (two sets that didn't really speak to me), and honestly, it was refreshing.
That seems like a pretty significant amount of investment to me - it's basically what I always do. what's your normal style of investment?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 2 years ago

What do people think the suspend cards will be for each color now that we have Profane Tutor spoiled.
It might be possible that there is an extra turn card with blue. Maybe like Suspend 3 or 4 1u take an extra turn.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I would expect them to follow the mirage tutor cycle exactly.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I would expect them to follow the mirage tutor cycle exactly.
Profane Tutor seems far more likely to be a riff on Demonic Tutor than Vampiric Tutor, especially when the mana cost and rules text lines up exactly. If they do go for a full cycle of this, I could definitely see a Time Walk variant as an option. It's a struggle to come up with White, Green, and Red effects for such a cycle, though, since they already hit the big ones in Time spiral the first time.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

A full cycle of tutors seems extremely unlikely. That said, I'll predict Timetwister as the blue one over Time Walk. May be too close to Wheel of Fate though.

As for the other colors... maybe Channel for green? I also struggle to think of red or white options, so will probably be a new effect again, similar to Crashing Footfalls.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
That seems like a pretty significant amount of investment to me - it's basically what I always do. what's your normal style of investment?
I cut down significantly on how much draft and constructed I play. So from a time standpoint its a lot and from a money standpoint it is too, since I don't buy a box (though that has been true for every set since Theros Beyond Death due to the pandemic, but I digress).

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

I'd think they would need to be very careful if they plan on making a cycle like that thanks to Cascade.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 years ago

Ok let's talk Chatterfang the at long last awaited squirrel tribal legend

Right of the bat it has a 1 card infinite with Pitiless Plunderer because the plunder will see the squirrels being sac'd by chatterfang and chatterfang throws in squirrels with all kinds of tokens made for this case the treasure tokens so you only need 3 squirrels for infinite treasures (2 squirrels sac and the 3rd as the target)

And second chatterfang is pretty gross with Grave Pact effects

DirkGently

I can't really do anything except roll my eyes at Mark Rosewater's squirrel obsession. Feels like such a cringy boomer joke.

Also I continue to be deeply, deeply bored by magic's tedious process of making every creature type in existence into a tribal deck. Do squirrels socialize at all in the wild outside of mating? Don't tell me, I don't care.
Last edited by DirkGently 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

I love squirrel cards, but for reasons noted above, Chatterfang seems more than a bit too much.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

Chatterfang is also pretty gross with Zulaport Cutthroat. Aside from the infinite combo, you could turn mana dork turn 1, Chatterfang turn 2, and Spontaneous Generation turn 3.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
I can't really do anything except roll my eyes at Mark Rosewater's squirrel obsession. Feels like such a cringy boomer joke.

Also I continue to be deeply, deeply bored by magic's tedious process of making every creature type in existence into a tribal deck. Do squirrels socialize at all in the wild outside of mating? Don't tell me, I don't care.
And yet Kavu always fought together in battles and were undefeated against the Phyrexians until they faced Yawgmoth. At least we got Morophon last time.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”