[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
Well add me to the list of people who get their asses kicked by the second Moderna dose. Feels like the flu.
I was so wiped out I could barely move, I ended up taking a five min nap on the floor in the bathroom before i had the strength to go back to bed
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 2 years ago

I'm getting the second Moderna shot in about a week. You all have got me looking forward to it now.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Am I the only one who gets annoyed whenever they print cards like Archaeomancer's Map and stick the world "basic" in front of "plains" as though it would be hideously busted if we tutored up a shockland or Mistveil Plains? C'mon, there's already 15 fetchlands that happily search up nonbasic lands with basic land types, the cat's already out of the bag. It's just annoying to have a card say "NO! You don't get to exploit me at all, you must use me exactly as intended with no synergies, please and thank you."
I am VERY upset by this. I always liked that while green was more efficient (Farhaven Elf on 3), white had better QUALITY (Kor Cartographer on 4).

I felt this good be a strong defining ramp identity for white - it could come later, but you'd get a better land. The exceptions to this in the past had been the cards that got mass quantities of lands from behind (Land Tax, Oath of Lieges, etc) were basics. Land tax is probably a bit out of scope though, since it got any basics, which isn't really white's thing, even from behind.

So I am very upset that all current new white ramp cards are 'basic' plains only. I can understand Keeper of the Accord, simply due to the quantity of lands searched up. I can even understand Archaeomancer's Map since it is quite efficient (though getting nonbasics at 4cmc might have been nice, to mirror Endless Horizons a bit?), and you have a Burgeoning stapled on.

But I feel that Stoic Farmer, The Birth of Meletis, and Pilgrim of the Ages should all have dropped the 'basic.'

Instead, Green gets to keep the search Any Land, as well as have the most efficient search, and the highest quantity land ramp, and just be the best in everything.
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
While not hard and fast, I have noticed lately that if the land searching costs 4+ and has some sort of condition/delay, you can search for a non-basic (Binding the Old Gods & Spirit of the Aldergard). On the other hand, if it costs three or less, it can only grab basics (Pilgrim of the Ages & Archaeomancer's Map). There are exceptions, like when they make new cards with an old mechanic like Plainscycling (Angel of the Ruins) for example.
The examples you note have another difference: Green vs. White.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
I am still annoyed at how strong Mystic Sanctuary was in comparison to Idyllic Grange (I had to look up its name cus its so bad). It seems like of late whenever wizards breaks the format its in how busted UG have been. Where is my format warping white / red / black effects?
I actually like Idyllic grange... I think the bigger problem is just how strong Sanctuary is, rather than how weak the others are...

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
2 years ago
I actually like Idyllic grange... I think the bigger problem is just how strong Sanctuary is, rather than how weak the others are...
This is very true. They are common lands that have basic land types. They really shouldn't be crazy. Its just hard to look at them side by side and say.... yea that seems like similar power.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
2 years ago
I'm getting the second Moderna shot in about a week. You all have got me looking forward to it now.
It's not that bad. Take the next day off work, and like they said drink water. I ended up sleeping for most of the day.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I'd have loved an Idyllic Grange that let you put a permanent cmc 3 or less on top of your library or similar. I think they coulda made those uncommon and pushed them all a little and it'd be fun.

I really like the payoff for playing mono or heavily slanted bi-color decks, part of the main thing I like about Jeweled Lotus.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
2 years ago
This is very true. They are common lands that have basic land types. They really shouldn't be crazy. Its just hard to look at them side by side and say.... yea that seems like similar power.
I've been really liking Basri's Lieutenant and some of the +1 counter matter themes that have lightly popped up in white. Given that white is the second best land ramper, and cares about the plains type, it's usually trivial to activate Idyllic Grange, as well as tutor it up. Then, it still counts for Emeria, the Sky Ruin, AND is a different name for Field of the Dead. Generally pretty nice.

It's a shame it didn't come out a few sets later, it would have been pretty cool for it to give a vigilance counter or something instead (or, gasp, First Strike if they push it!).

Likewise, I find there to be a low opportunity cost to running the green one, Gingerbread Cabin. While I don't run much food synergy, having an extra permanent to sac has actually mattered a few times, surprisingly.
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I'd have loved an Idyllic Grange that let you put a permanent cmc 3 or less on top of your library or similar. I think they coulda made those uncommon and pushed them all a little and it'd be fun.

I really like the payoff for playing mono or heavily slanted bi-color decks, part of the main thing I like about Jeweled Lotus.
The white and green ones are pretty trivial to activate, given the amount of land ramp both colors have access to (green obv moreso). I've been happy with red and blue as well, but red has been the hardest to activate, and the closest to cuts. Blue is a bit trickier to activate, but the power return is insane.
OH BOY, THEY FINALLY PUT THE BASIC LANDS BUNDLE WITH MAYBE ENOUGH LANDS TO BUILD A DECK! BUT DIDN'T CHANGE THE PRICE!
Last edited by bobthefunny 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken

bobthefunny wrote:
2 years ago
The white and green ones are pretty trivial to activate, given the amount of land ramp both colors have access to (green obv moreso)
I mean they're pretty easy in mono color for sure, but getting 3 other plains / forests and then fetching again is something you have to be actively working for, and not something that's guaranteed in a 3 color deck. It's vastly, vastly easier when you've got like 20 of a basic than if you're having to bank on recycling fetches or fetching one type aggressively.

Trivial is the wrong word I think, outside of mono color where it's fine to give mono color a power bump.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
2 years ago
OH BOY, THEY FINALLY PUT THE BASIC LANDS BUNDLE WITH MAYBE ENOUGH LANDS TO BUILD A DECK! BUT DIDN'T CHANGE THE PRICE!
Lol, full-text lands. That's actually a solid joke.

I mean I'm not buying them though. A thousand dollars to replace my basic lands with a joke? Yeah no thanks.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken

I am kinda glad they have gotten the secret lairs to the point where they're so dumb I'm almost never interested in any of them.

The last one I got was the "I guess I could use a copy of Teferi's Protection and it's for the kids kinda" bundle and they just keep getting crappier and dumber.

(A set of 15 shocks for $120 is probably a pretty good entry into the format I guess, although who decided not to just do them in sets of enemy/ally groups so people would get even numbers, I dunno)

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

I always looks at the secret lairs as sucker bets disguised as product. Used to lure folks that want promos for bling and never realizing they are way over costed cardboard. I will freely admit that some of the art for some of them is much better than the base product. Just not enough to lure me into actually spending for them.

That being said the novelty of full text lands does tickle my funny bone....but not enough to pay for it.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 2 years ago

EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
and never realizing they are way over costed cardboard.
Most of it is, Secret Lair or not.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
2 years ago
EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
and never realizing they are way over costed cardboard.
Most of it is, Secret Lair or not.
true but sometimes the prices get a bit TOO outrageous

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 2 years ago

The Our Show is on Friday artwork is so close to my taste, but then i think about how many singles i can get for my edh decks.. Yeah..
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

The shock lands are a cool sight, but after looking the prices online... the individual packs are not really that great of a deal. A pair of them are higher than the $10 cost, but that's it. Also, while setting them up as wedges is kinda cool for certain Commanders it means that 5 of the 10 lands are doubled... so some will be printed more than others... why? If you need the full set, the super bundle at $120 is equal to the price of one of each shock, so you get the 5 duplicates for 'free'.

The full-text is kinda funny, sure... but it's still more than $4 a land... kinda dumb.

The gamble set is slightly positive on value, so I'm sure that will see plenty of sales...

And then we have the Strixhaven cards... that were not in strixhaven... that feels somewhat... insulting? On top of that, you're paying 30 bucks for... an All is Dust? woooo....

If you want shocks... that part of the bundle isn't bad. If you happen to need a Gamble, Nature's Lore, AND Decree of Pain, that bundle is acceptable as well.
vandertroll wrote:
2 years ago
The Our Show is on Friday artwork is so close to my taste, but then i think about how many singles i can get for my edh decks.. Yeah..
Gamble is 20 alone, if you need one. The other 3 are $5 ea, roughly, and Preordain is 1. This one is technically net positive right now.

knight_seb

Post by knight_seb » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
This spoke to me:image.jpegImage

I feel like I'm constantly vacillating between having cards strewn about and wanting my apartment clean, and having a clean apartment and wanting to build a commander deck.
I completely agree !

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Whoever picked the cards for that Strixhaven Secret Lair owes us an apology (not that I'm the target market or anything). That being said that goofy ass Gamble is my favorite looking MTG card I've seen in a long while.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 2 years ago

Lifeless wrote:
2 years ago
Whoever picked the cards for that Strixhaven Secret Lair owes us an apology (not that I'm the target market or anything). That being said that goofy ass Gamble is my favorite looking MTG card I've seen in a long while.
Sam McKenzie is an artist I followed since 2002. Super cool to see his stuff on a card.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

DirkGently

Pulled off the sickest limited combo in game 3 of the final round, playing for first place - Mavinda, Students' Advocate flashing back Magma Opus, tapping down his 6/6, killing his 1/1 deathtouch flyer, burning him for 3 to the face, drawing 2 cards, making an elemental...and tapping my Grinning Ignus so that Mavinda would let it cost 8 instead of 16 xD Then untapped and swung for the win.

The format is all downhill from here lol. Not too often you get a double-mythic 3-color combo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Finished prerelease weekend with 21 wins and 1 loss. The loss kills me too, I totally could have won but I just straight-up punted it because I was tired and hungry.

Still, I'm pretty sure that's a new personal best.

Ofc nobody cares because y'all had your prerelease last weekend XD I guess we found the downside of living in NZ.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Ofc nobody cares because y'all had your prerelease last weekend XD I guess we found the downside of living in NZ.
Upside of living in NZ: You actually had a prerelease since your country didn't punt on the 'rona.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

My 2nd dose appointment is tomorrow, sinovac here so I don't think many of you have experiences with the side effects! hope I don't get sick. I have been following quarentine pretty serious and will be following after the shots, but want to get some stuff done, I want to see an ear doctor because I havent been hearing as well as I once did thats something I have been looking foward too!

other than that, after the 2 weeks I will be starting a process that will end up in a surgery. I've never done any surgery. the most I've done was getting my wisdom teeth removed. So I have been pretty anxious because of it. I'm in facebook groups with people who have done the surgery and apparently the recovery is kinda hard at first, and since I wont have company and wont be able to do much I have been kinda hoarding on packages so I can open them and be happy for a while. I have a bunch of delivery packages already, and will have more by the time the surgery comes. So I thought it would be nice to get some product to open. Here in Brazil sealed product is pretty expensive, since the BRL is super low right now. As everywhere buying singles is the way to go, but even more here, but since I havent been going out and will be in bed/recovery for a while I pulled the trigger, got a bundle, a set booster pack, 10 hour of devastation boosters and a kaldheim pre release pack, this will be the first time I get product in a while, am excited. Wonder if I can wait until early/mid june and open after the surgery

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Pulled off the sickest limited combo in game 3 of the final round, playing for first place - Mavinda, Students' Advocate flashing back Magma Opus, tapping down his 6/6, killing his 1/1 deathtouch flyer, burning him for 3 to the face, drawing 2 cards, making an elemental...and tapping my Grinning Ignus so that Mavinda would let it cost 8 instead of 16 xD Then untapped and swung for the win.

The format is all downhill from here lol. Not too often you get a double-mythic 3-color combo.
I once opened 2x Wurmcoil Engines in a sealed pool. I almost trounced everyone but the guy who beat me for first happened to be playing infect with multiple Revoke Existence in his sideboard.

That does sound really nice though. I unfortunately have tiny little pre release events with 20 or less people because I live in the middle of nowhere. We generally only have like 5 rounds tops. I am very jealous that you got to hold a pre release as its one of my absolute favorite parts of set releases.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

I miss the old school pre releases around here. 2-300 people in a big convention hall made them feel like a big deal and I usually did well.

DirkGently

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
I once opened 2x Wurmcoil Engines in a sealed pool. I almost trounced everyone but the guy who beat me for first happened to be playing infect with multiple Revoke Existence in his sideboard.

That does sound really nice though. I unfortunately have tiny little pre release events with 20 or less people because I live in the middle of nowhere. We generally only have like 5 rounds tops. I am very jealous that you got to hold a pre release as its one of my absolute favorite parts of set releases.
Ha, people have such varying expectations for prereleases. In Tacoma I remember going to one that was 6 or 7 rounds and went to a single winner, but in Seattle none of them were more than 4 (regardless of turnout). And in the UK and NZ I think it's almost always been capped at just 3 rounds. I wish they had more all-day events, but honestly limited in general is dead af out here. Only one of the 4 stores nearby actually fires drafts regularly. That's the store I did most of my prereleases at, and I think we had maybe 40-50 people for the biggest one, but the closest store to me usually gets usually 10 people or less for their prereleases in the middle of downtown Auckland. Never been to one with hundreds of people, sounds super fun though. Like a casual PTQ.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”