Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
I remember when that used to be my Saturday nights, except replace Pizza Hut with Real Chili.
Real Chili sounds a little TOO real tbh.
Oh was it ever. It is this restaurant that serves Cincy style chili at the edge of the Marquette college campus. And if you've never been to Marquette or Milwaukee, there are literally several bars right across the street from the campus (along with on-campus thanks to the Jesuit Residence). So if you go there on a Saturday night around 11 or midnight, it is packed to the brim with drunk college students eating chili along this long bar area (and anywhere else they could stand). And the chili is bad, but the type of bad that makes it the perfect drunk food.

I remember one Saturday night when I was in college I was dragged there by my roommate even though I had laryngitis and couldn't talk. So I was sitting next to this extremely drunk student who I think was hitting on me (she was so drunk I couldn't quite tell). My roommate tells her I can't talk because I have laryngitis and then leaves for who knows where. I had a little pad of paper and so I was writing down my responses to her slurred questions. We were "talking" for a good half an hour when in the middle of reading one of my responses she put down the pad and was like "I'm too drunk to read, just tell me what it says." I just starred at her unsure what to do. I was saved from figuring it out by her friends who decided that it was time to leave, but I was having an entire conversation with her and she was reading what I was writing just fine, and then suddenly she couldn't. She was only drinking water and eating chili, so if anything she should've been less drunk then when we started "talking". Anyways that entire exchange has stuck with me for years now. And the only conclusion I can come to is drunk people are weird.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

Hm, is there any chance to use the Commander Primer Template (viewtopic.php?f=45&t=158)? The "Quote" button seems to be missing for me...

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 years ago

I actually read about the WOW debacle and the timing and tone of the notice is one of the most embarrassing corporate blunders I've ever seen. I'm used to that kind of nonsense from Comcast but a smaller company that's been deliberately marketing their service as unlimited should know better.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

cheonice wrote:
3 years ago
Hm, is there any chance to use the Commander Primer Template (viewtopic.php?f=45&t=158)? The "Quote" button seems to be missing for me...
There's an updated template over here, and you can definitely quote this one :)

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

CINNAMON NEEDS YOUR HELP!!!!!

This is quite literally the most important thing you ever vote for today, and we need your help. Help me live vicariously through my cat and give my life meaning.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
cheonice wrote:
3 years ago
There's an updated template over here, and you can definitely quote this one :)
Oh :D Thanks a lot!

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Great googly moogly these precons look sick.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

I voted for your cat @cryogen
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hermes_

downloaded 96 mods and still not ready to play fallout 4

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

I've been slowly working on a sifi set the last 18 months. It got me wondering, what's y'all's favorite sifi movies, books, art, music, etc, - anything sifi related? Anything from 20,000 Leagues to Metropolis to Batteries Not Included to 2010 qualifies.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

My own book which I'm almost done with and really ought to be working on rn...

More seriously, I'll claim hitchhiker's guide. Though there's been really good sci-fi moves in recent years - really dug Arrival and Annihilation, and Interstellar was cool too, even if it took a one-way trip to stupidville by the end.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

My default answer is always and probably will forever be Futurama. I love the more obscure and technical jokes, even if I don't get all of the super scientific ones. And I really appreciate that the setting is neither an utopia or dystopia, but just kind of normal.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
what's y'all's favorite sifi movies, books, art, music, etc, - anything sifi related? Anything from 20,000 Leagues to Metropolis to Batteries Not Included to 2010 qualifies.
I mostly read fantasy but I've done a few sci-fi books in the last few years, in no particular order:

The Vorkosigan Saga by Bujold

I finally got into this. It was a big recommendation to me from a friend who also loved Amber, and it delivered - politically interesting, espionage, family drama, etc. I really liked it and also was glad I had like 30 years of it to catch up on.

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

I had this recommended by a friend and really loved it. Really out there from what I usually read.

The Bobiverse - Independent sci fi by Dennis E Taylor

Just...nothing like anything else you'll ever read. Paced completely differently with non-traditional story arcs. Really a unique take on consciousness and space travel.

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Just a super cool series I read a few years back, compelling characters, neat setting.

The Expanse - by some pseudonym guys (James S A Corey)

I enjoyed the books a ton. I am not a huge fan of serial drama in film form and so never bothered with it but man the books were solid.

They're just a vaguely bit...nickelbacky? When you have two solid authors collaborate stuff often becomes a bit lowest common denominator or a kinda bland average. But the story was super cool and worth it.

Hermes_

@SocorroTortoise https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2021 ... f=ExbtjcSG handy dandy charts and graphics thingy

Hermes_

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
I've been slowly working on a sifi set the last 18 months. It got me wondering, what's y'all's favorite sifi movies, books, art, music, etc, - anything sifi related? Anything from 20,000 Leagues to Metropolis to Batteries Not Included to 2010 qualifies.
It's old,but it's still good enough that i read it once a year. Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. It's one of the earliest apocalyptic novels of the nuclear age.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
@SocorroTortoise https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2021 ... f=ExbtjcSG handy dandy charts and graphics thingy
Not a bad read. I don't ever really hear about the larger process nodes because I'm on the design side of things, but it's not surprising that the auto industry apparently underestimated demand. They're historically slow to adopt new technology because of reliability concerns. I didn't have concrete numbers to back up my sense that TSMC and Samsung were pretty much the only game in town for the most advanced stuff, so that's also interesting. Thanks for the link!
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Hermes_

SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Not a bad read. I don't ever really hear about the larger process nodes because I'm on the design side of things, but it's not surprising that the auto industry apparently underestimated demand. They're historically slow to adopt new technology because of reliability concerns. I didn't have concrete numbers to back up my sense that TSMC and Samsung were pretty much the only game in town for the most advanced stuff, so that's also interesting. Thanks for the link!
I was surprised by Texas Instruments

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Favorite sci-fi book is easily Dune by Frank Herbert
Favorite sci-fi movie is The Edge of Tomorrow (also a pretty decent book)
Favorite sci-fi video game is Mass Effect 2
Favorite techno song -
Favorite sci-fi anime is Ergo Proxy

The coolest sci-fi setting I ever read was definitely from the manga "Blame!". There's a netflix adaptation anime adaptation that I just found when I looked it up. I haven't watched the movie so I don't know if it's any good or not. It might be worth a watch just for worldbuilding ideas though. If you have the time I definitely give the manga a read.

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Mass Effect probably takes the cake for me (granted, sci-fi is not really my thing) but I also adore the book series for both Dune and Red Rising.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 years ago

Venture Bros is one of my favorite sci-fi settings because it portrays exceptionally flawed people dealing with the infinite possibilities of technology and even magic.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
I was surprised by Texas Instruments
TI has a pretty large industry presence. I know a few people who do/have worked for them but have no idea what specific products they make aside from the calculators I used in HS/college, which I imagine is an almost nonexistent part of the current business. I suspect I have plenty of electronics around that use some kind of TI chip and I just don't know it because they're just a part of the supply chain for the final product.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Movie: Alien or Interstellar (probably, there are many)
Book: Do you think dystopian futures are sci-fi? Margaret Atwood argues that they are a subsection of sci-fi called speculative fiction. In any case, my answer is probably Brave New World (Aldous Huxley) or Oryx and Crake (Margaret Atwood). I went on a many-year binge reading every dystopian future I could get my hands on. Funniest was Jules Verne's Paris in the 20th century. I think it took me a third of the book to realize he was describing things that didn't exist in his time... I was just like, 'why is he spending so much time describing cash registers and train lines?'.
TV shows: Stargate SG1 and Farscape I guess. There have been many good ones. Star Trek also had some amazing series.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Movies - the Alien Series
Tabletop Roleplaying Game - Eclipse Phase
Book Series - the Expanse or Dune series
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Do you think dystopian futures are sci-fi?
I think it's a category of science fiction, yes.
Lifeless wrote:
3 years ago
Venture Bros is one of my favorite sci-fi settings because it portrays exceptionally flawed people dealing with the infinite possibilities of technology and even magic.
If something has "magic" in it - such as, the force - is it still science fiction?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

I'd call it science fantasy, but I mean, that's just a sub-genre of science fiction to me.

Edit because I forgot to add in my earlier post, but I also adore Firefly and Battlestar Galactica, for additional sci-fi media.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”