Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Dragoon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dragoon » 3 years ago

Lifeless wrote:
3 years ago
Jadzi, Oracle of Archavios looks pretty ridiculous at medium powered tables. Sure, she costs 8, but maximizing Journey to the Oracle doesn't sound all that hard to me.
I like her (more randomness, yay!) but I feel like the "Discard a card: Return to hand" is a bit much. Something like Ward would have been just fine imo.

Wallycaine
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Dragoon wrote:
3 years ago
Lifeless wrote:
3 years ago
Jadzi, Oracle of Archavios looks pretty ridiculous at medium powered tables. Sure, she costs 8, but maximizing Journey to the Oracle doesn't sound all that hard to me.
I like her (more randomness, yay!) but I feel like the "Discard a card: Return to hand" is a bit much. Something like Ward would have been just fine imo.
I think that wouldn't accomplish the goal, which is less "protect her" and more "allow you to use the other side".

Generally, I think it'll be a bit weaker than people are assuming at first, as magecraft and the mana cost both limit how ridiculous she can be. That said, will still probably be fun to watch.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Search for Blex draw 5 or even setup graveyard is very strong from the Command zone.
Myth Unbound seems tempting with this strategy.

The thing with these new modal creature/sorcery cards is that you can use graveyard creature retrieval cards like Volrath's Stronghold or Phyrexian Reclamation to keep recasting sorcery cards which is a unique angle to these mechanics.
If you can keep casting Deadly Vanity in the late game with Volrath's Stronghold a lot of decks are just not going to be able to overcome it.

Tempted by the Oriq is a super powerful tempo card. If you get three commanders by turn 4 it is probably GG.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 3 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
I think that wouldn't accomplish the goal, which is less "protect her" and more "allow you to use the other side".
Mmh, I think of the other side more as a setup for the front side actually. Is there any real benefit to bounce her, cast Journey, discard a card to get it back, then recast her again?
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Generally, I think it'll be a bit weaker than people are assuming at first, as magecraft and the mana cost both limit how ridiculous she can be. That said, will still probably be fun to watch.
I think she will be fun indeed, but if the deck is playing cheap cantrips and some top deck manipulation, maybe she'll end up being annoying? Having counterspell backup to protect her can also be good as it fuels her spell-cheating ability. I love those types of cards anyway but I don't want them to be overly powerful either, although her CMC might be just high enough to prevent real abuse.

Wallycaine

Dragoon wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Mmh, I think of the other side more as a setup for the front side actually. Is there any real benefit to bounce her, cast Journey, discard a card to get it back, then recast her again?
Blue and Green draw a lot of cards. Lots of cards means lots of lands in hand. Especially if you've just resolved something like Sea Gate Restoration // Sea Gate, Reborn, it wouldn't be unreasonable to end up in a situation where bouncing her back to your hand lets you go mana positive, either on just Journey to the Oracle or, if you've really got a full grip or hit a massive land pocket, both Journey and her. Even something like "spend 4 and 2 cards to ramp 8 'tapped'" is real strong, and totally feasible.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Now we are talking about Journey to the Oracle right.

Ummm I'm probably gonna get punched in the face for realizing this is possible

How do you feel about Sunder holding 4 mana for Journey to the Oracle then pretty much put your lands back in...Untapped. And above 8 it goes back it

Basically another way to create the evil Armageddon with Teferi's Protection trick

And to really really vomit from the thoughts of sacing a Mindslicer after that

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Leech Fanatic is the only character I care about in this set.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

FenrirRex
Answers: 1

Post by FenrirRex » 3 years ago

I adore that Elimination Ritual just straight up bodies early game rocks and dorks, potentially ramping up into a huge play if the rest of the table is sitting on a critical mass of them. Fun stuff.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

FenrirRex wrote:
3 years ago
I adore that Elimination Ritual just straight up bodies early game rocks and dorks, potentially ramping up into a huge play if the rest of the table is sitting on a critical mass of them. Fun stuff.

I am nearly 100% sure it has a sweet derpy combo too and I'm excited to figure it out :P

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 3 years ago

Grismold, the Dreadsower must be a Witherbloom alum, because that deck is getting sooooo many killer toys in this set. Can't wait. Might be time to finally post a list here, too.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

Is Vanishing Verse better than Despark?
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

NZB2323 wrote:
3 years ago
Probably no, but hard to say. Going only off some analysis on conditional removal spells, Despark hits more creatures than Ultimate Price. It's possible that number is somewhat different when you add noncreatures to the mix, but would need to do some analysis to determine which way it goes. My brief analysis suggests that Vanishing Verse hits significantly more enchantments, while Despark hits significantly more planeswalkers and artifacts. So, depends somewhat on what cards you care about more.

I'll also note that my brief analysis excludes card relevance - I didn't exclude cards not worth using removal on. That said, I would say that higher CMC tends to have a strong positive correlation with 'needs to be dealt with', while monocolor can have a negative correlation with that (due to most commanders being multicolor).

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

NZB2323 wrote:
3 years ago
In my meta surely not

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

Blex, Vexing Pest

There are no Insect, Snakes, or Spiders in the set and only one Bat.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 3 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Blex, Vexing Pest

We're going back to Innistrad soon, aren't we? Insects and spiders and snakes, oh my!

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Aww the blue mastery sucks :(

I mean it's ok I guess but it's not phelddagriffable.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Rushed Rebirth seems pretty good....
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

3 years ago
Blex, Vexing Pest

Has the entire set been spoiled? Maybe we will get a couple more.

Either way, seems intended for us than as a thing in limited. And maybe there will be some good ones in upcoming sets, including the next Innistrad sets, as already suggested.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

JWK wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
Blex, Vexing Pest

Either way, seems intended for us than as a thing in limited. And maybe there will be some good ones in upcoming sets, including the next Innistrad sets, as already suggested.
It's basically trinket text, yes, but seems misleading and a massive let-down after its text was teased by Rosewater.

At least we have all all these Changelings running around.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Wallycaine

JWK wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
Blex, Vexing Pest

Full set has been spoiled, outside the commander decks. That said, those creature types were almost certainly added for flavor/backwards compatibility, as Pests as a creature type are a new Strixhaven thing. This lets him be the lord of pests in limited/standard, while still allowing him to synergize with Pest-like creature types in standard and commander.

Serenade
UnderKing

....pests arose in Mirrodin 2.0.

(A BG variant of Moonlight Bargain as a general seems very strong.)

Wallycaine

Serenade wrote:
3 years ago
....pests arose in Mirrodin 2.0.

(A BG variant of Moonlight Bargain as a general seems very strong.)
Technically, Mirrodin 1.0. Nuisance Engine was the original, Signal Pest was the callback. Considering those are the only two, however, I felt comfortable calling it a "new Strixhaven thing", just like I'd call Werewolves a "new Innistrad thing" when they first came out.

Serenade
UnderKing

Ah, my bad. I forgot about that OG pest token-producer, AND I was thinking that living weapon were all pests instead of germs.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Tonight I'll pour one out for Divide by Zero, a card that would have been sweet if the RC didn't squash lessons :(

All the rest of the learn spells are pretty meh. I guess Sparring Regimen is alright...and I'd play Dream Strix in Sygg, River Cutthroat. That's about it.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

I'm beginning to think learn is pretty good even as just a rummage. Card selection is useful.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”