[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle
Pronoun: he / him

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
I only posted the list because you said you weren't sure about other foundries.
No worries. That was specifically about foundries that could handle the small process node, which was not super apparent from my post. I didn't find any source that had process node information compiled by foundry/company in my brief search, so I just went with the ones that I've encountered or heard of.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
No worries. That was specifically about foundries that could handle the small process node, which was not super apparent from my post. I didn't find any source that had process node information compiled by foundry/company in my brief search, so I just went with the ones that I've encountered or heard of.
I honestly learned a bit from just googling for that info,so win win lol

My walmart was totally sold out of TSR :\
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

This spoke to me:
image.jpeg

I feel like I'm constantly vacillating between having cards strewn about and wanting my apartment clean, and having a clean apartment and wanting to build a commander deck.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
There are a couple things about that list that aren't immediately apparent.
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago

But that's just it - people can afford it. There may be backlash from the gaming community, but the automotive industry will keep buying (as well as other industries). I don't think the price will settle anywhere near where it was before.
The vast majority of people can't afford it. An average graphics card costs more than what the average person makes in a month over here. That is a heck of a lot of money, for an *average* graphics card. For a good one, you'd have to pay anywhere between twice and five times that. So no, while a few people can afford it, not enough can to make it economically viable in the long run. Heck, even my graphics card, that is almost four years old by now, costs almost 1000€ to purchase, on average. That's a lot of friggin' money.
Over where you live,but in a lot of places folks ARE able to afford it many times over. Here's a pic of someone's mining rig from redditImage others are posting the following : 1 5700xt, 4 1660 supers, 2 2060's, 1 2070 super.

In this case,it's really like living on a another world.
Just because someone on reddit posts that *they* can afford it, doesn't make it affordable. After all, both Billionaire Bill Gates and former president of the US Barack Obama are members there, as are a lot of celebrities and millionaires the world over. Someone with an average income most certainly can not, and as that is around 90-95% of the graphic card customer base, if not more, yeah...
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Hermes_

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
There are a couple things about that list that aren't immediately apparent.
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago

The vast majority of people can't afford it. An average graphics card costs more than what the average person makes in a month over here. That is a heck of a lot of money, for an *average* graphics card. For a good one, you'd have to pay anywhere between twice and five times that. So no, while a few people can afford it, not enough can to make it economically viable in the long run. Heck, even my graphics card, that is almost four years old by now, costs almost 1000€ to purchase, on average. That's a lot of friggin' money.
Over where you live,but in a lot of places folks ARE able to afford it many times over. Here's a pic of someone's mining rig from redditImage others are posting the following : 1 5700xt, 4 1660 supers, 2 2060's, 1 2070 super.

In this case,it's really like living on a another world.
Just because someone on reddit posts that *they* can afford it, doesn't make it affordable. Someone with an average income most certainly can not, and as that is around 90-95% of the graphic card customer base, if not more, yeah...
Here's an article on the average income in the US https://www.thestreet.com/personal-fina ... s-14852178
then take a look here https://www.reddit.com/r/gpumining/ and count how many pictures have more than 2 graphic cards. Some of those rig builds are impressive, but i still wanna break into the house take a card lol

This one got the cards over a 3 month time frame

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Fun fact: The majority of the people in the world don't actually live in the US.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Hermes_

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Fun fact: The majority of the people in the world don't actually live in the US.
If you wanna go worldwide,then in all honesty after looking at some data i'm not sure the majority of people could even afford a basic computer no matter what https://www.worlddata.info/average-income.php

Here's a snapshot from South korea https://news.bitcoin.com/south-korean-o ... -3-months/

Cheap Hydropower in Nordic countries is bringing Chinese miners https://news.bitcoin.com/chinese-miners ... elopments/ https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... heap-power

I'm honestly not sure what our disagreement is about lol, miners are having an effect (is that the right word or is it the other one? lol) on current prices along with the issues caused by the pandemic. Both Nividia and AMD are saying they should be back to normal stock by mid next month or so, but if it that will push prices down and if so by how much is anyone's guess.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Pretty sure those numbers aren't accurate, because I can tell you, the average worker here in Sweden doesn't make that much money once taxes are paid. Now, if it income prior to taxes, then yeah.

But I am not really arguing, I am simply telling you that the average worker over here can't afford even a mid-tier graphics card at the moment. At least not if they want to eat and pay their bills.

Hermes_

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Pretty sure those numbers aren't accurate, because I can tell you, the average worker here in Sweden doesn't make that much money once taxes are paid. Now, if it income prior to taxes, then yeah.

But I am not really arguing, I am simply telling you that the average worker over here can't afford even a mid-tier graphics card at the moment. At least not if they want to eat and pay their bills.
While,i'm saying over here and it looks like in a few other places the average worker can afford multiplies

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago

While,i'm saying over here and it looks like in a few other places the average worker can afford multiplies
Look, if an average graphics card costs 1000€ over here, and the average monthly income after taxes is 900€, then no, it is not affordable. At least not if you intend to eat and pay your bills.

Hermes_

What's not affordable to you,is affordable to someone somewhere otherwise scalpers wouldn't be going with the prices they are.

EDIT: https://www.techradar.com/news/whats-th ... y-buy-them
Last edited by Hermes_ 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

@Hermes_ I think you're overestimating the spending power of the average worker, even in the US. Someone making $50k annually (similar to the article you linked and translates to ~$24/hr, which is definitely more than a number of people I know are getting) is getting ~$3k/month after taxes depending on various factors. After taking out rent, utilities, food, and any debt, you're probably looking at saving for months to afford a single card. Just because some people are able to pay inflated prices and post about it on reddit doesn't make it affordable.

Hermes_

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
This spoke to me:image.jpegImage

I feel like I'm constantly vacillating between having cards strewn about and wanting my apartment clean, and having a clean apartment and wanting to build a commander deck.
Right now I have close to half my commander decks out in my office.
I am tweaking one deck.
The others are out because I am considering selling my expensive cards. I was going to, so I pulled them from their respective decks. But then I applied for a promising job that would allow me to keep them. So these decks are all in limbo since they are missing cards but I don't want to replace them yet.

Oh well.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
@cryogen think you could do a plank? https://www.yahoo.com/news/army-revamps ... 37071.html
Yes. Just not for very long.

I retired before the new PT test went into effect, so all I did was push-ups, sit-ups, and a two mile run. Never did a leg tuck in my life, and I would probably injure myself trying.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Hermes_

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
@cryogen think you could do a plank? https://www.yahoo.com/news/army-revamps ... 37071.html

I retired before the new PT test went into effect, so all I did was push-ups, sit-ups, and a two mile run. Never did a leg tuck in my life, and I would probably injure myself trying.
So,what you're saying is you're out of shape? :P

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

We're an hour away from the Strixhaven debut stream. I should be excited - the setting's pretty decent, there's C21 to go along with it... yet I cannot muster even an ounce of enthusiasm.

I think this has a lot to do with the unprecedented level of Perpetual Hype™. The time between the autumn and spring set tended to be relatively quiet, and by the time the spring rolled around you'd be rested and have your appetite whetted for a more intense summer release schedule. Half a year in high gear, half a year in low gear. This has not been the case recently - the space between the autumn and winter sets saw CMR land, which to me was a major bombshell. Even TSR managed to be more taxing than a masters set due to the old frame bonus sheet. By contrast, ELD-TBD-IKO went without any real side hubbub. I feel quite out of juice, and never really had the opportunity to rebuild the juice supplies or cleanse my palate.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
We're an hour away from the Strixhaven debut stream. I should be excited - the setting's pretty decent, there's C21 to go along with it... yet I cannot muster even an ounce of enthusiasm.

I think this has a lot to do with the unprecedented level of Perpetual Hype™. The time between the autumn and spring set tended to be relatively quiet, and by the time the spring rolled around you'd be rested and have your appetite whetted for a more intense summer release schedule. Half a year in high gear, half a year in low gear. This has not been the case recently - the space between the autumn and winter sets saw CMR land, which to me was a major bombshell. Even TSR managed to be more taxing than a masters set due to the old frame bonus sheet. By contrast, ELD-TBD-IKO went without any real side hubbub. I feel quite out of juice, and never really had the opportunity to rebuild the juice supplies or cleanse my palate.
I wasn't planning on watching it, but had a stream on in the background that switched over to it. It looks like there's some fun stuff in there and the C21 generals look interesting enough (UG is goodstuff-y in a different way than card draw + ramp this time at least).

I get running low on excitement, though. The last year or two have been nonstop new products and there's a chance you're not even getting a chance to play with one thing before the next one is being pushed.

Hermes_

@Krishnath @SocorroTortoise So, last night before finally falling asleep, I realized that I was getting mad at the wrong people. It's not the miners fault,they are just another group who are wanting the same items. It's the folks who are using the bots to scoop up the limited stock here in the US and others places were it's allowed that I should be angry at. I looked at ebay the other day and some of the listings had boxes filled with the GPUs.

I know some sites like Newegg are attempting to curtail the behavior.

On a different topic, I need some honest no BS reponses, i'm torn in two, my brain wants to give up and start over, my heart says keeps going. So I need some eyes to look t what i've written and tell me what you think: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jFa ... sp=sharing

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 years ago

The spoiler fatigue is real. I know literally every release must be geared towards EDH now but I'm pretty worn out.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago

So,what you're saying is you're out of shape? :P
Calling me out of shape implies that I was in shape at one point. I just kind of exist.

====

I also have spoiler fatigue and haven't even processed Kaldheim yet. Luckily I could completely ignore TSR. But be sure to check out the site on the 30th. We have another preview card, so please please please give the article a click to help get us good view count numbers.

I obviously can't say anything about what is being previewed, but I've seen the draft of the article and the author did a really good job with it.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 3 years ago

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Calling me out of shape implies that I was in shape at one point. I just kind of exist.

====

I also have spoiler fatigue and haven't even processed Kaldheim yet. Luckily I could completely ignore TSR. But be sure to check out the site on the 30th. We have another preview card, so please please please give the article a click to help get us good view count numbers.

I obviously can't say anything about what is being previewed, but I've seen the draft of the article and the author did a really good job with it.
:laugh: I feel that reply. (sips the amber nectar)

= = =

Fatigue be real, overall. At the moment I'm turning towards Magic a bit as something... to do?... theorize? with my free time. My work days since Sept./Oct. have consisted of getting up at 0330, clocking in at 0430, and working until at least 1500 and potentially up to 1700, coming home, showering, eating, and putting something on to fall asleep to, basically.

Appreciated some reprints/updates in TSR, KHM was cool and I've mostly put together a couple decks from there plus other things I just wanted, Strixhaven is interesting enough so far I suppose. I definitely figured Liliana as being Witherbloom, premptively. And that Japanese Time Warp is utterly stellar artwork.

[shrug]
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

I can definitely relate to spoiler fatigue. I have barely started incorporating Commander Legends and Kaldheim cards into existing decks or building new ones featuring cards from those sets, and now we have a new set with a whole lot of cool-looking stuff, plus five new Commander decks. I have looked at the spoilers multiple times, but most of it just isn't sticking yet, other than that I know I want a bunch of copies of the guy that draws you a card whenever you cast an instant or sorcery.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I count myself among the fatigued. I'm still putting together a Ghen, Arcanum Weaver deck. Zendikar Rising and Kaldheim were unexciting, I really liked TSR, and while the mechanics in Strixhaven look cool, I'm just too burnt out by the hype machine to care at this point.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Same boat. I can't get into the LGS enough to pick up the pieces from every set that I'd want, so I'm ok to let it slide. It's clear this pace isn't going to abate. If anything it's really just encouraging me to be judicious with how I spend my MtG money. And at this point it's mostly on singles, which I'm ok with.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”