[Budget] Modern Cats

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Hi, this is a budget deck I made from leftover cards at home. Well, cat tribal isn't really a strong tribe and I'm sure this won't stand much of a chance against most tiered modern decks. The purpose of building this tribal deck is only for playing against other budget tribal decks that my friends use, Still not sure about the rest in peace in the sideboard because it's a nonbo with sacred cat and pouncer.

Suggestions? :)

The tribal decks I would be possibly facing are br vampires with vampire nocturnus, budget bg elves, budget eldrazi, merfolk, goblins.
Last edited by The Fluff 4 years ago, edited 32 times in total.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Tags:

Beyondnoxx
Temple of Mystery caretaker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Beyondnoxx » 4 years ago

I Like The Idea. Im guessing you See playing friends and the Meta is fairly casual. How streamlined is the merfolk deck? You need sideboard vs that.

I would reconsider 4 day of judgement it hits your deck just as Hard. Im currently at work ;) but will give it Some thought. I Like this Idea ^^
- Noxx
Pauper:N/A
Commander:N/A
Modern:N/A
Cards to sort: 80.000-85.000 :hmm:

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks. My playgroup are competitive, but sometimes we play casual modern tribal when need to relax and have a bit of fun. :)

the merfolk deck is the only full powered deck, has aether vial, 11 lords + 3 master of waves. What could be a good sideboard card against the fish? Maybe some choke? Have choke in my binder.

the goblins deck also had aether vial, but they are easier because they don't have counter spells to stop Day of Judgment. And I have some lifelink creatures to help survive the damage.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Beyondnoxx

pithing needle naming the vail is a good start. I promise Ill give a more in dept answer when i am not in a meeting ;)
- Noxx

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

ok, good added two pithing needle to sideboard. **

I'm also still testing some other cats to see if they might be good enough.

Beyondnoxx

nevermore naming master of the waves might be worth.
Wheel of sun and moon but only if someone goes mill or graveyard deck
Stony silence might be a ok choice as well.
nature's claim if you Need it.
Ratchet bomb
- Noxx

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

ok, I'll think about the suggestions..

Made some changes today. Removed a day of judgment, added one feral prowler to bring the number of cats to 24. Change the emeria land to stirring wildwoods, also added one gavony township. The township function as additional lord effect. Also added a chameleon colossus to the sideboard, as it is also a "cat". :)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

also thinking of adding one Behemoth sledge, but not sure what to cut.

Beyondnoxx

I Think The sledge is way to slow. Then you might as well Play sword of x and y. With pro the right colors
- Noxx

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Hmm, you have a point there. Equipments are a little slow in modern.

Some more testings today. Need to keep the three day of judgment in the main. the fast starts of elves and goblins are faster than me. It helps to clear their first batch of creatures, so that the cats can stabilize. The budget eldrazi is ok, as long as they don't get the turn 2 TKS followed by another tks or a smasher. Did not have a chance to test against the merfolk deck yet..

This is just for flavor. I'm using the plains from Mirage, because the set sort of has an african theme. Big cats like to live in the savannah. :>
PlainsD.jpg
PlainsB.jpg

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Might also test a single Pride Sovereign in the feral prowler slot.

Mapccu

Post by Mapccu » 4 years ago

I think day of judgement could very easily be dusk // dawn in a tribal setting. Few tribal decks bother with the larger pay off cards and you can recur a large portion of the deck. You can run some high toughness low/medium power cats and really punish anyone stacking lords. You could also do a 3-1 or 2-1 split for more recursion.

metallic mimic isn't on theme, but it does play well with recursion and my next point.

feral prowler could probably be generous stray? I think I'd rather have the draw on thee front end personally, unless the 3 toughness is a big deal? ETB cats are also great with cards like ephemerate (cat art!). Resetting caracal can be a huge beating at instant speed. Especially if you chump, blink, crack back for a ton with lifelink. You can even take it a step further and run felidar guardian. Declare blocks, flicker guardian, ETB trigger flicker the other blocker, untap rebound flicker an ETB dude and go ham.

choke seems pretty hateful for funsie decks, I'm not sure I'd be thrilled to see cards like that or hibernate that just dunk hard on specific tribes. Not sure of the groups powerlevel though.

leonin warleader is a decent top end and he goes wide very fast. In multiplayer you can often find someone with shields down that can't brick wall the 4/4+.

brimaz, king of oreskos is a monster with lords imho. He's a little more humanoid than the rest though. Dunno if that matters.

ajani's pridemate plays well with sacred cat, leonin warleader, caracal. You could definitely fit a lifegain subtheme in the deck. You could also run that one drop leonin from core that gains life if you have 3+ creatures during combat (forget the name).

Lots of the ajani walkers can play well with what you have. Not sure if you wanna go that route?

Also, Google the "wild and free" card sleeves. You need those.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

tried dusk // dawn. I have two copies of it. Good in the first uses, but gobs and elves eventually learned to go under it and beat me down with large numbers of 2 and 1 power creature.. + Shaman of the Pack.. and Sling Gang. However, Dusk // Dawn is a decent side card against eldrazi, because their beaters are mostly huge, so it could have a place on the side once testings are finished.

Generous Stray is one of my fav mtg cards, because I feed a lot of strays in real life. Might try to fit one in. :)

Brimaz is sadly out of the budget.

The merfolk deck actually has a hibernation on the side that he use against elves, We sideboard seriously even with semi-casual modern decks. Anyway, he does not bring that in against cats. This deck is mostly white with only a few green creature. :P

There is one flex slot, but right now I have no Ajani card in hand. So testing him is not possible.
A generous stray or a glorious anthem might be staying in that flex slot until I can get an Ajani planeswalker.

thanks for the info on the card sleeves. **

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

also fixed the manabase. Added two ghost quarter, so I can kill mutavault.

Beyondnoxx

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
also fixed the manabase. Added two ghost quarter, so I can kill mutavault.
Remember. pithing needle han name mutavault as well.
- Noxx

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks for the reminder. :)

Was tempted to run mutavault myself, but ghost quarter is more important right now. The elves player has a colorless land with the image of a church that turns into a large demon when he sacrifices 5 elves to it, better to kill that land before it transforms.

Also updated the main deck again. Added 3 Honor of the Pure as additional "lords", it makes all the creatures so much better. A single HotP makes regal caracal bolt proof and 10 power on the board.. 4/4 regal caracal and two 3/3 cat token with lifelink.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Also now having a 2/2 split between Dismember and condemn. Dismember is another way to kill the turn one llanowar elves or heritage druid. The lifeloss can be offset by the lifegain from sacred cat and regal caracal.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Testing continues. Streamlined the deck a bit. Added in 4 charmed stray, and together with 4 sacred cat.. there are now 8 one drops to take advantage of Honor of the Pure. Also added a path to exile, and moved the 2 board wipes to the sideboard.

Also trying to shave off one land to take the land count down to 23, since there is a general decrease in the overall cmc of the deck.

Hard to decide between Loam Lion and Charmed Stray. The lion is often bigger, and become bolt proof with just one lord or a hotp. However, the charmed stray built in lifelink has helped me in some situations. For now, the charmed strays take the slots.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Currently testing two unsettled mariner in the flex slots. He get the bonus from both honor of the pure and king of the pride. :)

However, including him would mean I have to drop Gavorny Township and replace it with a breeding pool as well as replace another land with second breeding pool.. making the manabase worse.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

also testing avian changeling in the mariner slots. Like the mariner, the avian also get buffed by king of the pride and hotp.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

long time to have not posted, however I have not stopped testing and developing the deck. :)

several changes.

-- added a playset of Steppe Lynx and they are amazing.
-- the deck has now 4 path to exile
-- tried eladamri's call, but they are too slow
-- adorned pouncer reduced to just one, it's too easily sniped by lava dart and w6
-- castle ardenvale is much better than shefet dunes
-- a playset of honor of the pure is good
-- still not sure about lifecrafter bestiary, might trim it down to one
-- dismember main deck is a bad idea when my playtest partner is a burn player, lol
-- charmed stray is unfortunately.. underwhelming most of the time, had to replace them with lynx
-- thinking of adding one proclamation of rebirth, since there are twelve one drops now
-- behemoth sledge is damn slow, but a singleton does not hurt

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

testing continue.

-- changed Behemoth Sledge with Ajani's Sunstriker. This now brings creature count to 25.
-- replaced Idyllic Grange with Dryad Arbor. The arbor can be fetched by heaths and foothills.
-- removed adorned pouncer, replaced with fourth fleece. Hexproof is more important than extra life, also the fleece cannot be sniped by lava dart and w6.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

I hope someday a 2 cmc cat lord can be printed, so I can replace Honor of the Pure with it.

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 4 years ago

In that meta, I can't believe you're not running 2 to 4 regal caracal. Giving all of your cats lifelink and making tokens while you're at it seems unbelievably strong in a meta full of other creature decks. Yes, I know it's 5 mana, but it's worth a shot? I mean, if you consider the fact that the aether vial decks are vialling up to 4 counters for their top end nastiness (master of waves/insert goblin nastiness of choice here), then paying 5 for the caracal and some buddies makes sense. It also adds lifegain which can keep you in the fight long past most decks staying power.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks for the suggestion. I did regal caracals for awhile, but they're sadly too slow for modern.

However, I'm making a pioneer version of this deck. the pioneer version is more of a midrange type, and that one has regal caracal replacing all king of the pride. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Budget”