The Spinning Wheel of Poop

WolfWhoWanders
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

So I've come up with another boredom fueled deck building project. This one is gonna be the greatest Golos, Tireless Pilgrim deck ever built. I want to use all the most laughably bad cards ever printed in magic. I'm not sure yet if I want the deck to run utterly useless cards like Hint of Insanity or just all the dumbest bad stuff I can come up with like Mogg Squad. Has any body ever tried to make bad stuff.dek work? I know this is dumb, but indulge me. What are some of the most laughable cards in magic history? What kind of stuff can I put in here to make jaws drop? Maybe the amazing combo of Aysen Highway and Conversion. Throw in a Quarum Trench Gnomes for maximum jank? Or is that too good even? Thanks. Show me what you goooot
Responds well to spells and abilities

Tags:

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Look, I get the idea you are after but you won't enjoy it.
I think it would make more sense to do something like using the Random Card button on Gatherer to make a decklist. I just did three cards - Mesa Enchantress, Whelming Wave, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.
It won't be good but the point is to just have random jank.

the other option is to just go through your collection of decent cards you don't have in any decks and just throw them all in there. Time for Agent of the Fates to get it's time in the sun.

But if you are committed to playing bad cards then maybe make it a budget restriction - every card has to be under 25 cents.

Just don't make a deck with cards that are bad and can't help you win. You won't enjoy it.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Just don't make a deck with cards that are bad and can't help you win. You won't enjoy it.
I'm inclined to agree, This seems like a better mental exercise than actually playing it out.

WolfWhoWanders

I don't know that I actually need to ever PLAY the deck per se. But I've been playing a long time and I have a lot of these cards sitting around. I figured I'd put it together as a joke more than anything. A showcasing of how awful a thing can be if you will. My enjoyment will come from flipping through it idly as I lay about bored of an afternoon. That's why I want the cards to be hilariously bad. Take Mogg Squad for example. It's terrible by any standard. So terrible it makes you laugh. Now read the flavor text. I dunno about you but I just went from laughing to crying. I'm dying even. I don't need to play this deck. I will just flip thru it and imagine playing it and that is enough to bring some warmth to my cold heart. Maybe one day someone will bust out Jasmine Boreal vanilla tribal or this ladies looking left or this chair tribal or foglio art tribal level of badness I keep hearing about but never seeing. And I will have just the thing.

WolfWhoWanders

TheGildedGoose wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
I'm inclined to agree, This seems like a better mental exercise than actually playing it out.
This is absolutely more of a mental exercise than an effort to construct something I would actually play

WolfWhoWanders

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Look, I get the idea you are after but you won't enjoy it.
I think it would make more sense to do something like using the Random Card button on Gatherer to make a decklist. I just did three cards - Mesa Enchantress, Whelming Wave, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.
It won't be good but the point is to just have random jank.

the other option is to just go through your collection of decent cards you don't have in any decks and just throw them all in there. Time for Agent of the Fates to get it's time in the sun.

But if you are committed to playing bad cards then maybe make it a budget restriction - every card has to be under 25 cents.

I get it, I should add that I'm not really looking to ever play this deck. It's just to bring a smile to my face looking through a pile of hilariously bad cards with hopefully hilarious flavor text to back it up

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Considering Golos can get lands Sorrow's Path is where you want to be at.
Play Gorm the Great (and Virtus the Veiled) and Phage the Untouchable in the deck so that you force opponents to have at least 3 blockers.
If opponents puts a large creature on Phage to kill it then bam tap Sorrow's Path to switch up blockers to wreck your opponents creatures...hopefully.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 3 years ago

I would start with 10 vanilla creatures. Add 5 French vanilla. 5 WTF powerful ones. Add 2 that are expensive(cc not money) techy but not always useful creatures. then move onto spells. There your on your own since there are just too many for me to consider in 5 color. Lands wise 4 each of each basic. Then mix and match your multicolor or multi purpose lands. For walkers just run the original 5. Boom done.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

Well, there is one bit of good news.
I already have a lot of good choices ready for you to pick from.
I've been planning the most epic cube for a while, and I feel like it's card list could be of use to you...

The key for me is that the card's aren't useless, just.. really.. bad...
White
Show
Hide
Blue
Show
Hide
Black
Show
Hide
Red
Show
Hide
Green
Show
Hide
Gold
Show
Hide
Artifact
Show
Hide
Land
Show
Hide
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Sorrow's Path golos would be hilarious - play a bunch of Spitemare-type creatures that love taking damage, throw in Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth so you can tap path on command, and get schwifty. I used to have a 60-card path deck back in the day (although I think it was proxied).

I actually kinda want to do this now.

I agree with what other people are saying, but I think what might ACTUALLY scratch that itch while not being totally miserable to play would be to build a Golos deck of awful, overpriced creatures - that are still decent when played for free. Stuff like Akron Legionnaire and Crash of Rhinos. That way you get the lulziness of playing bad cards, without completely wasting your time.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

Really, if you want the ultimate Jank - you should try for a Rainbow Stairwell bad jank deck.

What, precisely, is the worst 2 cmc blue card in your collection? Worst 4 cmc black card? etc. On the plus side, it makes cuts fairly easy, since you only compare one to one (same color and CMC) and choose between the two.

Also, if you have them you should consider Balduvian Shaman, Ice Cauldron and Wiitigo for the old school feel.
V/R

Treamayne

WolfWhoWanders

@darrenhabib @DirkGently
Making Sorrow's Path Golos deck does sound pretty hilarious, I may have even entertained the idea once long ago. I suppose it might be worth giving it a shot as a "playable" bad deck. We can find ways to donate Sorrow's Path to a player and use something like Icy Manipulator or Rishadan Port to tap it down. I wonder if there are ways to untap and retap it a few times to clear larger boards. Deserted Temple and things like voyaging satyr come to mind. I wonder how complicated it would be to use those cycling cards from Ikoria to put a deathtouch/lifelink counter on sorrow's path. So, forcing blockers and stuffy doll type creatures in addition to possibly giving path away and force tapping it. Giving it Lifelink/deathtouch. Any other dumb Sorrow's Path shenanigans? This thing is on as far as I'm concerned.

I will say, the idea of just putting together a list of cards along the badness level of Mogg Squad still appeals to me, mostly because the flavor text just adds to the badness/hilariousness of it. So send me your cards that are bad, but not vanilla and have a most excellent flavor text to go along with it.

@Treamayne
I'll look into this Rainbow Stairwell thing in a little bit, I've heard the term bandied about but I confess to not really knowing what it is while having a vague idea.

WolfWhoWanders

I just imagined using Phelddagrif to give away a bunch of hippos, give away sorrow's path and use repercussion to try and kill people

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
3 years ago
Well, there is one bit of good news.
I already have a lot of good choices ready for you to pick from.
I've been planning the most epic cube for a while, and I feel like it's card list could be of use to you...

The key for me is that the card's aren't useless, just.. really.. bad...
White
Show
Hide
Blue
Show
Hide
Black
Show
Hide
Red
Show
Hide
Green
Show
Hide
Gold
Show
Hide
Artifact
Show
Hide
Land
Show
Hide
Cool! Check out the link to my cube found in my sign right below.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

WolfWhoWanders

@Feyd_Ruin
Thanks for the awesome list, there are some gems in there for sure.

@Legend
Wow a whole cube of bad cards, this should be a good look. That's even better than a deck, but I could never convince anyone to try cube before we could scarcely get together, Maybe still worth it though...

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Sorrow's Path golos would be hilarious - play a bunch of Spitemare-type creatures that love taking damage, throw in Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth so you can tap path on command, and get schwifty. I used to have a 60-card path deck back in the day (although I think it was proxied).

Neyith of the Dire Hunt can be used to force blocking and also because Sorrow's Path specifically creates another "block" trigger when activated you'll get an additional draw off Neyith. Amazing.

Other creatures that can force blocking and survive the 2 damage from Sorrow's Path are Nacatl War-Pride, Michonne, Ruthless Survivor, Goldenhide Ox, Fibrous Entangler.

The World Tree is another land that allows tapping Sorrow's Path at any stage.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 3 years ago

Actually here is a idea, I really dont know how BAD it be but why not make 100 card legendary deck. I know there are plenty of very narrow effect legendary creatures and spells to pick from. Take the their can be only premise to its loony outcome. Admittedly you would have to bend on the land base (maybe) but 38 to 36 lands and the rest the deck only legendary creatures and spells.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

This suggestion will really depend on your mentality/attitude and what you find amusing.

Years ago a friend of mine had a 60 card deck centered around Oath of Druids that he is now planning to recreate with Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge as a commander deck. The concept of the deck was to fill it with just amazing bomb creatures that would scare the rest of the table. However, also in the deck were Phage the Untouchable and Leveler. So, you spin the wheel and either something amazing comes into play, or something just crippling and/or lethal to you may come in instead. For commander you maybe want to put in some more "bad" cards since it is a larger deck, like Eater of Days maybe.

If you insist on Golos I'd say you just have to force yourself to play whatever you get with him regardless of consequences.

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but maybe it will inspire you.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago

This... actually sounds amazing. If you put Chamber of Manipulation onto Sorrow's Path, you can stack the triggers so you gain control of target creature and then it takes 2 damage right?

It'd also be hilarious to Animate Land and then Unexpected Fangs it.

Yeah this deck sounds rather funny actually. Yum, yumm Vigor. You could also probably construct some combo with Cacophodon to kill the table.

DirkGently

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
This... actually sounds amazing. If you put Chamber of Manipulation onto Sorrow's Path, you can stack the triggers so you gain control of target creature and then it takes 2 damage right?

It'd also be hilarious to Animate Land and then Unexpected Fangs it.

Yeah this deck sounds rather funny actually. Yum, yumm Vigor. You could also probably construct some combo with Cacophodon to kill the table.
I threw up a thread in decklists to do some brainstorming, I'd love to get more ideas (plus we could avoid hijacking this thread). I've been going through my cards this evening and pulling stuff out. Happily I did have a Sorrow's Path in my trades of all places :P

Chamber of Manipulation occurred to me, but I think there are better options. Urborg is the easiest way to activate path since it's Golos-tutorable and costs basically nothing since it's a fine land on its own. There's also a few cantripping auras that will accomplish a similar effect. As far as auras that actually do something, I think Noxious Field could finally have its day in the sun (unfortunately I don't have one, because why the hell would I?). Underworld Connections is a fine card too, and any of the 3cmc auras that give a land "T: add 2" would be good for activating Path or for ramping into Golos a turn earlier. Probably the most insane aura is Urban Burgeoning which, for us, is basically Seedborn Muse as an enchantment for 1 mana :D

the lifelink counter idea did occur to me (although I was thinking of doing it via Splendor Mare). I can't think of any other good reasons to spend cards to turn path into a creature, though, not to mention it's risky. Maybe if there was a land that could do it, so it'd be golos-tutorable and not waste a spell slot, but I don't think there are any? Actually, maybe via Nesting Grounds - it's a bit roundabout, but also saves us the risk of turning it into a creature.

Vigor is simultaneously insane and awful. Obviously it makes path bonkers, but the fact that it turns off all our enrage stuff, i.e. most of the deck, is a huge buzzkill. Rite of Passage is definitely way more synergistic, but Vigor might still make sense when going for a big overrun kill.

I was going to go back through all the enrage stuff to see if I was missing anything important - I'm so upset that I don't have a Cacophodon right now, haha. That is disgustingly strong, imagine it with rite of passage - you'd start off with a chill +3/+3 to all creatures the turn you play it, and then double that every turn - not every your turn, but EVERY turn. If you make it back to your turn again, all your dudes would be +93/+93 lol. And ofc with anything granting indestructible (and a way to stop yourself getting killed lol) it just goes infinite. Did we just break sorrow's path?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

WolfWhoWanders

@DirkGently
No worries on hijacking the thread, it never really had a chance to go where I originally intended anyhow. This is a a great conversation. Nesting Grounds seems like an awesome way to get that counter on there. I suppose it's probably asking too much of the deck to be able to donate sorrow's path for shenanigans but it's looking like we can come up with some good ones on our own. Urban Burgeoning does seem pretty perfect and the Noxious Field could be nasty with a deathtouch counter on it. Eldrazi Monument or Akroma's Memorial can give the team indestructible. I'm not sure Rite of Passage works the way you want it to, it only adds one counter per instance of damage dealt not per damage dealt but it is still a great add.

@materpillar
Cacophodon is the perfect enrage piece for this deck, I love it and don't think I've really ever seen it. Good high toughness too, can survive 2 sorrow's path activations on it's own.

DirkGently

I want to believe someone at WotC designed Cacophodon specifically with this dumbass strategy in mind, because until now I really never understood why that card exists xD

Probably wouldn't want to go deathtouch since (1) it's only a positive if we can get noxious field onto it, and (2) it's a REALLY big downside if we can't give team indestructibility, which is hard (akroma's memorial doesn't grant indestructible so it's pretty much just monument afaik). I know RoP doesn't give counters equal to damage, but even one counter is a pretty big deal pretty fast - especially since it enables creatures to take more future hits. So for example, once you've pinged Spitemare a couple times, it can start taking 2 hits from SP per turn (if you can untap it), growing faster, dealing more damage etc.

High Priest of Penance finally found his deck too btw. I remember being hyped about that card when it came out, but it turns out this was the deck he wanted. I think we'll probably want some general-purpose anthems to boost toughness enough that cards like HPoP can tank a hit without dying. If anyone's got particularly great suggestions, do lmk - mostly I've got obvious stuff like Dictate of Heliod.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
High Priest of Penance finally found his deck too btw. I remember being hyped about that card when it came out, but it turns out this was the deck he wanted. I think we'll probably want some general-purpose anthems to boost toughness enough that cards like HPoP can tank a hit without dying. If anyone's got particularly great suggestions, do lmk - mostly I've got obvious stuff like Dictate of Heliod.
I remember only wanting to play HPoP with Darksteel Plate and Pestilence.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

TBH, Armistice isn't that bad. I mean, it's bad, but it does have value in monowhite for the dearth of card draw you'll be facing.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
3 years ago
TBH, Armistice isn't that bad. I mean, it's bad, but it does have value in monowhite for the dearth of card draw you'll be facing.
Idk man, 5 mana to draw a card is rough, considering Kenrith, the Returned King (while not being strictly white colour identity) draws 2 for 4 mana.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”