[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

re: Sacrifice, I used to have have a turbo Oath of Druids deck which could only fetch a single copy of Rasputin Dreamweaver (a expensive unattainable card nowadays that I should never have traded away!) and then try to Sacrifice him to cast really absurd cards like Dregs of Sorrow and Rocket Launcher and stuff like that. wow that deck was old

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Tuesday, August 20th, 2019; Sacrifice
I played this card - and am so fond of it - that I found a beta copy for my collection years ago. It's great in Iname, Death Aspect for fueling a Living Death, Twilight's Call or similar.

More than anything, I really appreciate the design of the card, and playing with it back when I started (around revised; to summon things like Lord of the Pit) fills me with nostalgia.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
I played this card - and am so fond of it - that I found a beta copy for my collection years ago. It's great in Iname, Death Aspect for fueling a Living Death, Twilight's Call or similar.

More than anything, I really appreciate the design of the card, and playing with it back when I started (around revised; to summon things like Lord of the Pit) fills me with nostalgia.
Revised huh? Then we started playing about the same time (I came in around 4ED/ICE). Wonder just how many old school players we have on these boards.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

lyonhaert
Answers: 4

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

I also started around 4th and Ice Age. Took a decade+ break after high school, then came back in 2013 (give-or-take) diving right into Commander.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

3drinks

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
I also started around 4th and Ice Age. Took a decade+ break after high school, then came back in 2013 (give-or-take) diving right into Commander.
As I recall, let's see. 4ED through Visions, missed Mirage then I recall half way through Weatherlight, Rath cycle, then Urza block was premiering as my 9th grade year came to a close. Next thing I know its Invasion block which I stayed with through 5DN before Kamigawa drove me out until I came back at Conflux. Been with it ever since.

Wow that complicated and shows I've spent way too much time on this game 👀

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Wishing it said power. That said, this is like Metamorphosis, but it can be used to cast anything. It has potential, but not as much as a permanent sac outlet. It does let you start casting Eldrazi and similar threats somewhat earlier, though.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago

Revised huh? Then we started playing about the same time (I came in around 4ED/ICE). Wonder just how many old school players we have on these boards.
When I started, Visions had just been released. So not OG, but close. Which is a shame, I missed some sick value from the first few sets. Stuck around till Exodus, hiatus, back with Shards of Alara, stayed till Eventide, hiatus, back with Innistrad and more or less in the game ever since.

I still think the lore from around Tempest/Weatherlight is some of the coolest stuff written. Volrath was my favourite bad guy for the longest time.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
It has potential, but not as much as a permanent sac outlet.
Soldevi Adnate reporting for duty. As compensation, the fodder loses colour range, but eh, it's something :P I ran it in my mono black deck back when I thought it was okay to Contamination lock people.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

this card is super sexy as is and may it never change (no new border, no new art, just as is, maybe brought up to 4k)

I started in revised also, stopped at weatherlight. back since mirrodin. (sadly I gave away my original collection)

even though the old cards are out dated and probably under powered the nostalgia easily compensates

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Rituals and one-shot sacrifice outlets are rarely where one wants to be in this format. For those few decks that do want to be there, I'd wonder how often this is better than Culling the Weak? Cull works much better with both tokens and the most easily recurrable critters (Reassembling Skeleton, Tenacious Dead, Gravecrawler, Bloodghast). Sacrifice can possibly go off with Delve/Convoke cards like Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis or Tombstalker - but I can't really think of a commander for whom that's super relevant. And top of my head, I can't think of many decks that would want either effect over the classic Altars. Maybe, just maybe, certain Kr'rik, Yawgmoth, and Toshiro Umezawa decks?

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Interestingly this card is NOT available on Magic Online, which suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!!!!!!

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
Rituals and one-shot sacrifice outlets are rarely where one wants to be in this format.
Hard disagree. In a format where board interaction is common and targeted hand disruption is rare, the best resources in commander are the ones you can hold in hand until you're ready to win. Rituals are sweet, surprise sac outlets are sweet, and Sacrifice does both. Burnt Offering is better though.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I saw someone playing Soldevi Adnate in a deck the other day, so there is definitely a usage for cards like Sacrifice. Doing it as a one-shot effect is a bit less exciting though. I'll throw out Culling the Weak as another ritual worth consideration.

One issue with Sacrifice in particular is that most decks that want to sacrifice creatures for mana aim to sacrifice small creatures or tokens. Sacrifice is thus best used with cost-reduced creatures, such as Gurmag Angler, Myr Enforcer, Torgaar, Famine Incarnate, or Marshmist Titan. After that, just find some usage for your piles of mana, whether it be Greed, Exsanguinate, or some other payoff - ways definitely exist to turn mana into cards to make up for all the card disadvantage you're incurring from rituals.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Burnt Offering is better though.
Depends. Burnt Offering is better than Sacrifice in a br deck because of the choice of colors, but can't be used in a deck that has b but not r in the color identity.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

3drinks

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
It has potential, but not as much as a permanent sac outlet.
Soldevi Adnate reporting for duty. As compensation, the fodder loses colour range, but eh, it's something :P I ran it in my mono black deck back when I thought it was okay to Contamination lock people.
Wait, you mean it isn't okay to do this? Gee, and I've built a lot of my decks in the past few years revolve around this...
The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
even though the old cards are out dated and probably under powered the nostalgia easily compensates
Can confirm, this is the primary draw to white border Alesha. It's power level pales by modern standards, but the nostalgia is ohsoreal.
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I still think the lore from around Tempest/Weatherlight is some of the coolest stuff written. Volrath was my favourite bad guy for the longest time.
The whole Rath Cycle was truly captivating. Gerrard, Volrath, the Crovax/Selenia saga culminating on a single card, the erratic portal...maaaannn, lem'me stop! Getting all nostalgic.
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Interestingly this card is NOT available on Magic Online, which suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!!!!!!
Tell me about it. I'm still mad they haven't brought Helm of Chatzuk or Baton of Morale online.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Sure, in theory it's okay as it's something you can do that isn't banned. But when you're in a group that has people complain about Necrogen Mists... :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

3drinks

Wednesday, August 21st, 2019; Dragon Appeasement

3drinks' Hot Take: "So, at which point do we ever play this alongside or in addition to, Fecundity? When is this better? Is it ever better? How many copies of this effect even exist, and how many do you play in the average fare Jund-sac deck?"
Last edited by 3drinks 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Sure, in theory it's okay as it's something you can do that isn't banned. But when you're in a group that has people complain about Necrogen Mists... :P
If they complain about 'Mists, just tell them you'll cast Bottomless Pit next time instead..."well at least it's not 'Mists right?" #BadAdviceFrom3drinks

...this feels like the commander equivalent of I'm not touching you...

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

In fairness, Contamination is quite anti-fun. It stops the game dead in its tracks for most players at the table. As such, the group's complaining was not unfounded. However, it's five years later, with numerous lists dead due to lack of playgroup acceptance and constant de-escalation of what I do, and they're making advances on my beloved Daxos the Returned as that's the worst that's left :P

As for the card, I'm really not sure whether this has a home anywhere. I'm not sure it'd even have a home without the drawback. You're in three colours, surely there's better stuff you can be doing at six.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

dragon appeasement seems to go in the same deck as Symbiotic Deployment, maybe an Eldrazi Drone theme deck hoping to play against other theme decks :3 hard to put either card in a tuned deck that takes action before turn one hundred though

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Liliana, Dreadhorde General seems better.
Fecundity too.
Probably also cards like Harvester of Souls and Grim Haruspex.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
Liliana, Dreadhorde General seems better.
Fecundity too.
Probably also cards like Harvester of Souls and Grim Haruspex.
Liliana I can pretty easily give you. But the other two saying non-token, when typically the kind of deck that wants the named card today is a deck that creates copious amounts of creatures - notably tokens, usually.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Old man story time, feel free to gloss on by: I sometimes feel like a "new" player, because I stopped playing before the end of the decade this game was released. I started with revised, but mostly bought into 4th, Fallen Empires, Homelands, and Ice Age (I think we may have a few of the same experiences). I played some Mirage and Visions, kept up with some of Tempest block, but had solidly stopped at Exodus.

I returned around Mirrodin Besieged and New Phyrexia to play EDH, specifically. I liked the fact I could play with my old collection, didn't need 'playsets', and that it was unofficial, unsanctioned, and so explicitly casual and multiplayer that I thought the singles market would never 'correct' (obligatory "well, that was wrong"). I rabidly bought hundreds of singles that were released in the time I was away as well as back-catalog cards that I had kind of always wanted from the first four expansions, including some revised duals, and a Timetwister; many of them were a bargain by today's standards, Vintage was disappearing, Legacy was not popular or much speculated on, and Modern was not even a thing. I was solidly back into playing prereleases and drafts at Avacyn Restored; Innistrad was a huge sell for me, as a fan of gothic horror, and I had bought a box each of Innistrad and Dark Ascension to draft/open with friends (though, seriously, I dislike transform cards).

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

oh man alara. . .such a cool "world"

the flavor of the sacrificing goblins. . .or rather fodder. . .to the heathen dragons is glorious. Alara had some big dragons too.

that being said overall I think sacrificing board state leads to negative game play for a casual player. (unless that's your style of play and then I support it but only then and only you)

this card doesn't affect the board at six, and six is a lot.

this card could save you against a mill deck so theres that.

meh, I don't like it. but it does allow me to think of cards like sprouting thrinax, broodmate dragon, and dragon fodder and the intro of my man Sarkhan

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks' Hot Take: "So, at which point do we ever play this alongside or in addition to, Fecundity? When is this better? Is it ever better? How many copies of this effect even exist, and how many do you play in the average fare Jund-sac deck?"
Well, it's not symmetrical, so there's that. But in general, if I see "Skip your draw step." I expect more. Maybe not something on the level of Necropotence, but something that won't be that risky. (See also Symbiotic Deployment. This is risky for the same reason, actually more so because as long as I have four creatures, or Seedborn Muse and another creature, I gain card advantage, while Appeasement over there never gains card advantage without Alhammarret's Archive.)

But hey, it says "appeasement" so of course it's going to be a disaster.

An aside: I wonder how much Maro's love of comics went into Alara? The tagline for Alara Reborn, "The birth of one world. The death of five." even reminded me of "Worlds will live. Worlds will die."

Oh, and count me in the "started playing during Revised" club. Now pardon me, I have to tell some youngsters to get off my lawn.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”