[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
Bernie Sanders at the inauguration is my spirit animal. I feel everything about him there. Especially how he looks like he wants it to just be over. He's got better things to do today.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hermes_

Hermes_

Hermes_

I also thought about putting "I am once again asking if you're going to pay the one" fo the text lol

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I don't want to derail the Bernie meme train too hard, but I'm pretty amped that Biden was president for less than, like, six hours and already deferred student loan payments until October.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I don't want to derail the Bernie meme train too hard, but I'm pretty amped that Biden was president for less than, like, six hours and already deferred student loan payments until October.
Everyone (with the exception of me) at work has been very anti-mask. So when I saw that it was going to be a requirement in any federal facility I immediately started to wonder if that would apply to the post office. Well I got back to the shop this afternoon and EVERYONE was wearing a mask. So good job, Joe.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Hermes_

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Everyone (with the exception of me) at work has been very anti-mask. So when I saw that it was going to be a requirement in any federal facility I immediately started to wonder if that would apply to the post office. Well I got back to the shop this afternoon and EVERYONE was wearing a mask. So good job, Joe.
I saw and i liked your tweet about that

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 3 years ago

So is there gonna be a new thread in which we can post Bernie Sitting On Magic the Gathering cards or should i just spam here? :D
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

vandertroll wrote:
3 years ago
So is there gonna be a new thread in which we can post Bernie Sitting On Magic the Gathering cards or should i just spam here? :D
I'm sure that meme will run its course in another day or two. Although, funny story about that:

My wife found the site where you can use Google Street View to make him sitting in front of an address. So she does it to my mom and texts her the picture. Well my mom, being technologically savvy and hip with what the kids are doing, immediately responds with something to the extent of "that looks like my house but I don't recognize this person what is going on here?"
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Maro says SLD Walking Dead is the best-selling secret lair thus far.
So, that clearly indicates more of this trash will come.

I wonder if sales were driven by Walking Dead fans or by people panic buying out of fear of never getting the cards.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Maro says SLD Walking Dead is the best-selling secret lair thus far.
So, that clearly indicates more of this trash will come.

I wonder if sales were driven by Walking Dead fans or by people panic buying out of fear of never getting the cards.
That's probably because any player worth their salt knows that 5 fetches packaged as 'Ultimate Edition' is a rort and they shouldn't fall for such a grotesque money trap.

All salt aside, from what I've heard Rick is a strong add for legacy humans, so there's at least some existing players going for them.

My LGS owner bought copies too for resale too - I dunno if that's frowned upon or whatnot, he purely sells them for what he paid for them so that they're more readily available for those who missed the window or couldn't handle the shipping etc. I assume he's not the only LGS owner doing so.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

TWD got me thinking about this sort of thing, and I ended up collecting my thoughts into an article on this site. At some point, Magic realised that it can hook more people by broadening its flavour, and we're a decade into them actively pursuing that. To their credit, it does seem to be working - TWD sales were a lot of outside reach, getting new people to buy Magic product. Given the ever-growing spread of things design has hit (we have a Sharknado in the game, dammit!), full-on IP crossovers were ultimately a relatively minor step. But they do make for a good wake-up call as to how far the game's drifted from its starting premise.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

Has anyone thought about building Colfenor, the Last Yew yet? EDHREC so far just suggests good stuff with a few Altars which doesn't appeal to me at all, I might try finally writing a guide for a weird lateral way to run a deck based around him...

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

TWD had a lot of issues and potential ramifications that I'm sure I don't need to rehash in detail. Unique cards being only available from WotC is alarming, and the game becoming an empty vessel for other IPs is disheartening.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

vandertroll wrote:
3 years ago
Did this thread ever appear because I want to see these things.

Dunharrow

folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
Has anyone thought about building Colfenor, the Last Yew yet? EDHREC so far just suggests good stuff with a few Altars which doesn't appeal to me at all, I might try finally writing a guide for a weird lateral way to run a deck based around him...
Altars seems fine

But you can also do an artifact deck? Get effects that reduce mana costs and then storm out with a sac outlet. Modular also works well since they are all 0/0s in the graveyard, allowing you to go infinite with two modular cards pretty easily.

If you don't want to go infinite, I feel like you can build Colfenor like a grindy Karador, Ghost Chieftain that never combos off. I think the idea would be to play multiple creatures every turn like Plaguecrafter, Mindslicer, Fiend Hunter, Black Cat, etc... I would focus on smaller things (not Yosei, the Morning Star) since the advantage over Karador is that you can replay multiple creatures every turn, which would be lost if you just played one fatty every turn and sacrificed it.
I would actually play Karador in the deck too.
My issue with this type of deck is that gameplay gets really slow. If you can't combo out, you will be winning by attacking with small creatures over many turns.

toctheyounger

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
TWD got me thinking about this sort of thing, and I ended up collecting my thoughts into an article on this site. At some point, Magic realised that it can hook more people by broadening its flavour, and we're a decade into them actively pursuing that. To their credit, it does seem to be working - TWD sales were a lot of outside reach, getting new people to buy Magic product. Given the ever-growing spread of things design has hit (we have a Sharknado in the game, dammit!), full-on IP crossovers were ultimately a relatively minor step. But they do make for a good wake-up call as to how far the game's drifted from its starting premise.
I read it and enjoyed it - I meant to comment on the article, but here is good enough to pass along kudos for a well written piece.

Personally, I think the difference is that things like Innistrad and Sharknado use cultural touchstones as a referential inspiration rather than copy and pasting an existing IP into the MtG framework. One approach is delicate where the other is ham-fisted and entirely unsubtle. While I don't overly care about TWD in terms of in-game impact, vibe and theme are big draws for me in the game, and this move really did just jump the shark for me. I have no issue with, say for example, further printings based on...I dunno...Game of Thrones? The Witcher? whatever, but seeing actual Geralt of Rivia in an MtG setting is just a step too far for credibility to hold.

I very much realise that I'm throwing stones from within a glass house with regards to my vorthos builds, but a lot of what goes into those builds is implications rather than an exact printing of characters I want to see on cardboard, and I think that's the distinction for me.

toctheyounger

folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
Do it! The primer committee needs some business, it's been a while between applications*.

*mostly Covid related, I'm assuming.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
Do it! The primer committee needs some business, it's been a while between applications*.

Speaking only for myself, I've attempted primers before, but I think I'd rather chop off my own arm than try to format one of those things to make it visually pleasing.

toctheyounger

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
folding_music wrote:
3 years ago

Speaking only for myself, I've attempted primers before, but I think I'd rather chop off my own arm than try to format one of those things to make it visually pleasing.
Yeah, it's not the funnest, unless that's your jam. I struggle with it myself. There's a paint-by-numbers template now though, so that takes literally all of the coding out of the scenario - pick your color themes and images/card images, copy/paste your content, submit, easy peasy. And that's why the committee is about, to help you iron out the coding and make it look super noice. I'm not amazing at it, but @benjameenbear and @darrenhabib are pros.

All that said, it's remarkably easier to get things look tight here at nexus than it was on salvation. And that's all Feyd, the code is just SO much more flexible and intuitive here.
Last edited by toctheyounger 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Yes, I fully encourage anyone who's considering writing up/submitting a primer to do so. It's a great opportunity to really come to terms with your deck, understand every little nook and cranny of it and evaluate your choices. If you're worried about the visual side of things, there is a template you can use. We've had a number of submissions based off of that and it's all fine. We've also tried to make the process of getting cleared for primerdom more friendly and streamlined, and we'd like to think it's been working - a number of new submitters subsequently returned with extra threads.

If anyone has any questions, comments or whatever, fire away. I'd like to think that the fleshed out primers are one of the strengths of Nexus/MTGS, as evidenced by earlier chatter of encountering clearly inspired builds in the wild.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 3 years ago

Can confirm, that template is amazing. As is the fact there's a subforum for testing out your posts, I wrote the whole thing in there over the course of a couple of weeks then copy-pasted the resulting product back into the first post of the already existing public thread.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

Regarding Primers:

Beyond the template, the existing primers can also be used as a base for things. You can go into them and "quote" them to figure out how to do a variety of different things. So, if you follow the template and like it, great. But if you see someone doing something and want to know how they did it, quote their primer to see all the BBCode behind the scenes and "borrow" it :)

I know my primers are sort of minimalistic but that is how I like them. Everything is organized the same way and I even wrote a program on my side to help facilitate the creation of new primers. But everyone has their own tastes so seeing what else has been done can be helpful.

I know I haven't done anything with Primers in a while. Part of that is certainly Covid but I have other reasons to no longer want to submit things for Primers. I even have Gisela that was sort of half done and then I never bothered to complete it so it looks sort of nice but is missing a ton of actual content probably making it worse than if I didn't have it laid out as a Primer :laugh:

toctheyounger

WizardMN wrote:
3 years ago
Beyond the template, the existing primers can also be used as a base for things. You can go into them and "quote" them to figure out how to do a variety of different things. So, if you follow the template and like it, great. But if you see someone doing something and want to know how they did it, quote their primer to see all the BBCode behind the scenes and "borrow" it
Yep, definitely this. Super easy way to get a nice layout and 'draw inspiration'.

End of the day, the best primers are content based anyway; pictures and coolness are great, but my favourites (of those I frequent and those I've approved) are the ones that are well written and have a suitable amount of quality strategy, theory, card option discussion, all of that stuff.

(for reference, some of my favourites are mookie's Tasigur, tstorm's Zedruu, benjameen's Yawgmoth/Memnarch's, Rumpy's Ghired, MeowZeDung's Kykar, WizardMN's Karador)

Dunharrow

I just bookmarked the Template page. One day, I hope to make primers for my two most fun snowbally decks, Mina and Denn, Wildborn and Reyhan, Last of the Abzan (with Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker).

I looked into it a while ago for Mina and Denn and found it daunting. One day. It's a fun deck - the goal is to activate Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx as many times per turn as you can. I lent it to someone pre-COVID and his first game he activated Nykthos 6 times in a turn for a combined 200+ mana.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”