Unreleased and New Card Discussion

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

Maro hates Planar Chaos and that set owns, I feel like I disagree with a lot of his takes on what he wants the game to be!

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
Maro hates Planar Chaos and that set owns, I feel like I disagree with a lot of his takes on what he wants the game to be!
He doesn't hate the set, he hates the color breaks in it.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Given the number of snow snakes already, and we just got this card Snakeskin Veil, I sure hope we get some more snakes in this set.

Despite the Veil's flavor text noting serpents.

And Naga existing in the same colors.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

Snakeskin Veil works very well with Sarulf, Realm Eater, and Skemfar Shadowsage works well in any tribal deck. I think he's better than Kokusho, the Evening Star for my cleric tribal deck.

Not really sure why the cleric elf has 5 toughness, as he'd be good as a 1/1 and not many clerics or elves have 5 toughness, but I guess I'll take it. I mainly want to play him, sacrifice him, return him to my hand, and play him again, so the toughness doesn't really help, but I guess Gary has 4 toughness.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Moth

Post by Moth » 3 years ago

Changeling Tribal just got a new haymaker and it looks like it was given the Llanowar Tribe 'Hybrid' treatment.
Arcane Adaptation + Birthing Boughs = Maskwood Nexus.

They heard you like creature types so they gave your creatures more creature types so they can creature type while they creature type.
It's gonna feel good to use Seahunter to grab a The First Sliver because its a Merfolk which then triggers Gilt-Leaf Archdruid because its a Druid and Wirewood Savage because it's a Beast which then has haste from Goblin Warchief because its a Goblin, blows up a permanent through Reaper King because its a Scarecrow and pings something for 7 through Dragon Tempest because every card mentioned is also a Dragon.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

Moth wrote:
3 years ago

It's gonna feel good to use Seahunter to grab a The First Sliver because its a Merfolk which then triggers Gilt-Leaf Archdruid because its a Druid and Wirewood Savage because it's a Beast which then has haste from Goblin Warchief because its a Goblin, blows up a permanent through Reaper King because its a Scarecrow and pings something for 7 through Dragon Tempest because every card mentioned is also a Dragon.
I would applaud the player who does this.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

Kaldheim is kinda confusing me.
The set flavor is cool. The cards are cool. But there is not too much new under the sun and looks like many of its mechanics will become nothing in EDH.
Snow still doesn't have a clear identity and especially doesn't have a dedicated commander
Boast can't become a dedicated deck and i guess there won't be a boast-themed legend that creates a new deck archetype. But that's fine, boast is kinda generic and many cool boast card are already there
Foretell can be good only if you put at least 4-5 foretell cards in your deck. Ranar want to spawn a foretell deck but right now we haven't enough cards.
Tribal is almost going nowhere. Golgari elf is surely a reality now, but looks like other tribes won't be playable in EDH.
Dwarves are making Depala nicer but nothing else.

Idk maybe i was spoiled by Ixalan and the cool Kaldheim legends still have to be spoiled.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

Maskwood Nexus is perfect for a dual tribal deck. My Momir Vig elf+wizard tribal will appreciate this very much.

Hoping I'll face another dual tribal deck sometime when we can play again.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
The set flavor is cool. The cards are cool. But there is not too much new under the sun and looks like many of its mechanics will become nothing in EDH.
Snow still doesn't have a clear identity and especially doesn't have a dedicated commander
Boast can't become a dedicated deck and i guess there won't be a boast-themed legend that creates a new deck archetype. But that's fine, boast is kinda generic and many cool boast card are already there
Foretell can be good only if you put at least 4-5 foretell cards in your deck. Ranar want to spawn a foretell deck but right now we haven't enough cards.
Tribal is almost going nowhere. Golgari elf is surely a reality now, but looks like other tribes won't be playable in EDH.

Idk maybe i was spoiled by Ixalan and the cool Kaldheim legends still have to be spoiled.
On Foretell, we don't have most of the cards in the set yet, so there's that.

But overall I am really like this set from an EDH perspective. It has a few cool commanders like Vega, the Watcher and Tegrid, God of Fear. A lot of great tribal support in the changelings (plus some angel and giant goodies). And I expect more tribal stuff as the set comes out. More snow stuff to compliment what we already have.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago

On Foretell, we don't have most of the cards in the set yet, so there's that.

But overall I am really like this set from an EDH perspective. It has a few cool commanders like Vega, the Watcher and Tegrid, God of Fear. A lot of great tribal support in the changelings (plus some angel and giant goodies). And I expect more tribal stuff as the set comes out. More snow stuff to compliment what we already have.
I love the flavour of the set personally. There's a few pieces that'll fit into vorthos builds of mine here and there, but nothing that's worth buying sealed product for. Honestly, the thing I'm most excited about thus far in fetchable snow duals at common. That's just great quality of life.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

Oh don't get me wrong, the flavor is really well done and the cards are really good (pyre of heroes, the arcane adaption on steroid, and so on), it's a good set... but i feel like it's trying to give me a lot of toys i can't use
"Hey look! We made snow so cool, with the new border and snow spells!" Cool... but i can't make a deck out of them
"Hey look! Foretell! The norse-flavored morph! The fixed suspend!" Amazing... but i can't make a deck out of it
"Hey look! Izzet tribal giant! We made awesome fire and frost giants!" Really nice... but i can't make a deck out of it
"Hey look! Crazy orzhov berserking valkyries!" Weird but cool... but i can't make a deck out of it
And so on... really a lot of nice ideas in this set that can't blossom into EDH
I hope that the rest of the spoilers will prove me wrong

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
Oh don't get me wrong, the flavor is really well done and the cards are really good (pyre of heroes, the arcane adaption on steroid, and so on), it's a good set... but i feel like it's trying to give me a lot of toys i can't use
"Hey look! We made snow so cool, with the new border and snow spells!" Cool... but i can't make a deck out of them
"Hey look! Foretell! The norse-flavored morph! The fixed suspend!" Amazing... but i can't make a deck out of it
"Hey look! Izzet tribal giant! We made awesome fire and frost giants!" Really nice... but i can't make a deck out of it
"Hey look! Crazy orzhov berserking valkyries!" Weird but cool... but i can't make a deck out of it
And so on... really a lot of nice ideas in this set that can't blossom into EDH
I hope that the rest of the spoilers will prove me wrong
Yeah I agree, there's nothing thus far that really screams to me. Except for Vorinclex and....I mean he turns it up to 11 100% of the time. It's pretty pushed.

Lets just hope the rest of the set gives us some good quality. Although tbh I'll be pleased if this isn't one my wife wants sealed product for, the bank account could use some respite. If I can cherry pick singles I'll be happy.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Yeah, give it a second is my best guess. We've got legends all the way down at uncommon, so there's gonna be plenty of legends to go around if they're all the way down at uncommon too. There have been multi-colour ones spoiled at rare and mythic already as well.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

I think we'll get a legend for each tribe, though some will probably be Ulrichs.

Serenade
UnderKing

I like that Ranar and Vega work with foretell...but aren't exclusively foretell-focused. There are at least three decent blue spells for a foretell package to keep people guessing.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I think they've done a pretty good job of making Foretell not as hideously parasitic is some of their set mechanics. You can kinda slip a lot of foretell stuff into topdeck control shells and things like Elsha etc. They're also pretty decent in Wheel decks I guess. Definitely some things I enjoy about some of the cards.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Eradicator Valkyrie is mildly interesting as a repeatable Innocent Blood effect, while also having a reasonable statline (flying, lifelink, incidental planeswalker hate).
As others have mentioned, Maskwood Nexus looks very solid for any sort of mixed tribal deck.
Moritte of the Frost is somewhat interesting as a legendary clone. Sakashima of a Thousand Faces is already an option if you want a clone in the command zone, but Moritte copying any permanent you control opens up copying artifacts / enchantments / lands. Not sure if it being snow will matter in the command zone, but that does make it more fetchable with Search for Glory and similar effects.

Overall, I'm content with the set so far. Boast and tribal elements are probably going to be a miss for me, but MDFCs and sagas are cool. Snow is... still strictly better than non-snow, but I don't know if there will be enough payoffs for me to justify swapping out manabases. Foretell is effectively a cost reduction mechanic, but not a particularly synergy-driven one, and will depend primarily on the individual cards.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Changelings are again the glue that holds a sets tribal themes together, and you know, I am entirely fine with that.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

What I find weird about boast is that it's not a triggered ability. Maybe that timing will matter for other abilities we'll see later (if it generates mana or something) but right now it seems like all of them could have been reworded to be an "on attack, pay __" triggered ability.

Kinda reminds me of the old templating like on Freyalise's Charm and Lapis Lazuli Talisman. I always found that "activate if X only activate once" sort of templating pretty ugly =/

Foretell I like more. Being able to set things up for later is the sort of strategic planning that I dig, and it doesn't have the risks of a morph sitting on the battlefield.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

I like the flavor of Runes and hope this is not the last we see of them.

Would be great if Kardur, Doomscourge said goad. ALAS. Still seems like any incredibly fun card. A bit telegraphed as a general, but I like it in the 99.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

trying to understand what Open the Omenpaths wants to cast:

https://scryfall.com/search?q=t%3Aencha ... D2+cmc%3E3 *scratches head*

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

folding_music wrote:
3 years ago

I know we were talking color pie breaks before with Ravenform, and now we just got Tibalt's trickery. It is to counter spell what chaos warp is to Vindicate, except you could use it on yourself to cheat in a fatty, especially in a shadowborn apostle or rat colony deck.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

NZB2323 wrote:
3 years ago
folding_music wrote:
3 years ago

I know we were talking color pie breaks before with Ravenform, and now we just got Tibalt's trickery. It is to counter spell what chaos warp is to Vindicate, except you could use it on yourself to cheat in a fatty, especially in a shadowborn apostle or rat colony deck.
I'd note the random mill (making it difficult to set up your own cheating in a fatty), and the requirement to hit a non-land card (unlike Chaos Warp's ability to whiff) that make it much less of a break. It's still leaning closer to one, but given the limited nature of it's ability to deal with enchantments (has to specifically be on the stack, could just hit another enchantment anyways), I think it qualifies as a minor break at best.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Toralf, God of Fury seems bonkers. Play with Forbidden Orchard, Blasphemous act, etc.

Does this interact with Pestilent Spirit the way I hope it does?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Tibalt's Trickery is a bend, and a fairly soft one at that. Yeah, it gives red a counter, but you might end up getting screwed by whatever your opponent gets to replace the spell with, which plays hard into reds chaos flavor. Imagine countering a Wrath of God and end up flipping up an In Garruk's Wake instead, well, you just screwed yourself. It might save your bacon to counter the a spell with it, but it might fry it harder.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”