[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
My biggest beef with Clockwork Orange is the omission of the final chapter. It changed the movie from something thought provoking into something a college guy would want to hang a poster of in his dorm room next to a Scarface poster.
Not sure if you know the story. The US edition of the book was missing the last chapter due to a misprint. For some reason, this is the version that Kubrick got and he was not aware of the missing chapter.

I agree that the last chapter really improves the story. I just think of it as a deleted scene from the movie. Still, the rest of the story is still fantastic. One of my favourite films since I was 10 years old!!
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Don't forget Pet Sematary, which also featured an Indian burial ground as a major plot point.
In terms of the novels/novellas there's also Thinner, in which a guy gets cursed by a Romanian gypsy. Not quite the same thing, but would likely have a similar reception if printed today.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Man, it sure was easy to dunk on minorities in horror stories, isn't it?
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
My biggest beef with Clockwork Orange is the omission of the final chapter. It changed the movie from something thought provoking into something a college guy would want to hang a poster of in his dorm room next to a Scarface poster.
Not sure if you know the story. The US edition of the book was missing the last chapter due to a misprint. For some reason, this is the version that Kubrick got and he was not aware of the missing chapter.

I agree that the last chapter really improves the story. I just think of it as a deleted scene from the movie. Still, the rest of the story is still fantastic. One of my favourite films since I was 10 years old!!
I heard that, but I also heard that he was intentionally giving the American version of the book as well. At this point I don't know which one is true, and I'm too lazy to spend a minute Googling it. Doesn't change my opinion on book vs film regardless.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Don't forget Pet Sematary, which also featured an Indian burial ground as a major plot point.
In terms of the novels/novellas there's also Thinner, in which a guy gets cursed by a Romanian gypsy. Not quite the same thing, but would likely have a similar reception if printed today.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Man, it sure was easy to dunk on minorities in horror stories, isn't it?
I view this too as a paranormal middle finger to know-it-all (secular) westerners. And I've always thought of it as honorific to attribute superior knowledge of the universe (aka "mysticism") to a person or group, especially when it's a foil to cultural/racial arrogance/indifference. Like at the end of Gremlins when the Chinaman comes to get Gizmo back and is like "you stupid people (white westerners) aren't ready for this". Also see The Temple of Doom, Big Trouble in Little China, and many more. I'm not saying negative stereotypes don't happen in film, they do. I just can't think of any 80's films that do it.

And this might sound weird, but I think slightly worse than stereotyping is black/brown/red face. I hated it even as a kid. It's just now starting to fade. ( Thank you , Fast & Furious.) But Johnny Depp played Tonto (in 2013 for Christ's sake!), in a badly acted, shameful portrayal of an American Indian.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Its been in horror stories since they existed tbh. Even something like Dracula plays on the same Romanian stereotype. And then you look at HP Lovecraft, his whole mythos of forgotten worlds and esoteric knowledge and that delves into whole 'yeah were civilized but were not the apex predator' thing which is fairly adjacent. Thats not to speak of his colonial racism. It is what it is, he grew up in a time where POC were property 9n his country. That doesn't make it ok of course, I guess it was just normal to write in the parlance of his times. He does sort of subvert it from time to time, like in The call of Chthulhu where indigenous tribes have far greater knowledge of the eldritch horrors beyond our realms than western civilisation, but it still makes uncomfortable reading for its racist context.

Also, HNY everyone.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

Happy New Year to all of you!

Unfortunately 2020 finished out with a big downer for me, since MF Doom, a youth icon of mine, apparently has passed away. Madvillainy was a game changer for my musical taste at the time. Will spend the last 30 mins of this year listening to it.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

Jurassic World Evolution https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... ution/home Is free from epic games till the 7th
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

Just played my first commander game of the year. Achievement unlocked Draco + Favor of the Mighty. Some day I'll throw him at someone with Bosh, Iron Golem.

I also managed to hit someone for 30 with 5 activations of Mindshrieker. Num, num, num. I'm very much enjoying my Golos, Tireless Pilgrim deck, and I'm happy to report my opponents appear to be mostly amused and say they enjoy playing against it which has been a difficult road. I'm pretty pleased with myself though.

How's everyone's year starting off? I've been rewatching the original Daredevil with my girlfriend. That show is very entertaining. I've also been eating through Rhythm of War. Also, quite good.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

I returned to work yesterday from taking a little over a week off. I wish I was still on vacation, as I enjoyed having time to get in lots of Commander games on PlayEDH.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

I did the same, and already want another vacation. Just getting hit with tasks from all sides.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

Not gonna lie, kind of enjoying being super busy at work.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

materpillar
the caterpillar

I'm so pleased with myself. I hopped on a game of PlayEDH and suited up Tivadar of Thorn. My opponent sat down with Krark, the Thumbless and Sakashima of a Thousand Faces and raged at me. Now I'm up too late because mono-W takes forever to close out games.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Well today sure escalated quickly. Be safe everyone.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

Fact: Cheese is the most stolen food in the world.

Pun: Everyone trying to get that cheddar
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

materpillar
the caterpillar

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Fact: Cheese is the most stolen food in the world.

Pun: Everyone trying to get that cheddar
I giggled more than I should. Here is my response.

Have you guys watched any of MTG Remy's stuff? I would highly recommend binging all of his videos they're all hilarious.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

I really like all of Remy's videos. My current favourite is the music parody, Wake Me Up Before You Combo
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I got my first COVID shot today. My arm is just a tiny bit sore. That's it. I feel great, and while we have a long way to go, I feel like I can finally see the light at end of the tunnel.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I got my first COVID shot today. My arm is just a tiny bit sore. That's it. I feel great, and while we have a long way to go, I feel like I can finally see the light at end of the tunnel.
I can understand that for sure. My brother just got his the other day (has the booster scheduled for 3 weeks out) and he got lucky to be in the first wave as he is a First Responder or EMT (or something like that).

I think there is enough of a road to go that we don't want to let our guard down too much, but just having the vaccine available, even in the face of the new UK strain, is certainly cause for cautious optimism.

toctheyounger

It'll be a few months before we see any here in NZ I assume, but we also don't need them as desperately as the states. As a lifelong asthmatic I'll definitely be getting the jab.

Good to hear that its at least a little extra peace of mind for you guys even if we're not at the end of the road yet.

materpillar
the caterpillar

I just lost a game because I had Emeria's Call // Emeria, Shattered Skyclave instead of a Plains so I attacked my opponent to 1 instead of 0 while I had a creature with Armored Ascension on it. Feels bad.

I've been tearing through Rhythm of War by Sanderson. I'm on page ~700 now. It's pretty solid. I also had some mexican leftovers for dinner and was immensely pleased by this.

Hey... anyone have any good recipes I should try? I'm especially interested in anything that I can crockpot. I live by myself so I have a hard time motivating myself to cook when I don't have company over.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
I just lost a game because I had Emeria's Call // Emeria, Shattered Skyclave instead of a Plains so I attacked my opponent to 1 instead of 0 while I had a creature with Armored Ascension on it. Feels bad.

I've been tearing through Rhythm of War by Sanderson. I'm on page ~700 now. It's pretty solid. I also had some mexican leftovers for dinner and was immensely pleased by this.

Hey... anyone have any good recipes I should try? I'm especially interested in anything that I can crockpot. I live by myself so I have a hard time motivating myself to cook when I don't have company over.
I enjoy cooking. Haven't made too much in the crockpot lately, but I can probably find some older recipes. As I recall, I mostly did braised beef types of things or meatballs in the slow cooker. Recently, I've mostly used the slowcooker for mulled apple cider and hot chocolate (mine is small).

Guessing you probably don't want anything too complicated (I love this one, but man do you have to do a lot of dishes after:

For amusement, you might try some ideas here: articles/1058-food-chain-what-does-your-commander-eat-

If you enjoy grilling, I find that's often the quickest, lowest cleanup method. Make a bag of marinade, toss in the chicken, grill. I've been making tandoori chicken a lot recently, or a peruvian-style chicken marinade. You might also want to look into some 1 pan oven recipes if ease+cleanup is what you're looking for. Salmon is very easy (salt,pepper+lemon, into the oven at 375-425, for 10-20 min). Can toss the vegetables at the same temp. I'm a fan of baked brussel sprouts with the salmon, but not everyone's favorite. I've been meaning to try pan fajitas, https://lifemadesweeter.com/sheet-pan-steak-fajitas/ - curious how they would stack up vs the cast iron pan.

On the stove, there are several curry recipes that are very easy. I have a coconut+lemon curry as a backup recipe that I like, that only takes about 15-20 minutes.

--

I also tend to cook in large batches. Like, I'll make 5-6 meals at a time, and toss them into the freezer.

some more food I've cooked:
Attachments
20200619_231444.jpg

toctheyounger

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
My wife and I do a lot of crockpot stuff of late - it's a lot easier to just do a big batch and reheat for a few meals to avoid cooking when the kiddo is cranky. We've got a really nice enamel lined cast iron crockpot that works nicely. Our favourites of late are creamy peppercorn chicken and one pan creme fraiche chicken. The first is like 20 mins prep and 30 mins cook time, super easy. The second is like 40 mins prep. 90 mins cook time. Happy to write em out for you if you're into it.

*We only eat chicken - my wife doesn't do red meat and I just don't bother cooking it for one person, too much hassle.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I almost never look at recipes anymore I just start cooking stuff and it ends up how it ends up :P

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 years ago

My crock-pot favorites are beef ragu and pork shoulder. A 3-4lbs pork should can be cooked until it basically falls apart and then made in to all sorts of stuff - ramen, bbq sandwiches, tacos, etc.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

I started back on keto again since I wanted to lose 20 pounds and instead gained 20 more pounds. I didn't actually do anything to try and lose the weight, and Thanksgiving/Xmas happened, but still. So yeah I'm trying to relearn how to eat on that diet.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
I got it on release day and had been trying to read the first three books again first (though I never actually finished Oathbringer). I have been reading at the gym and then things got shut down again for nearly 6 weeks so I am way behind. But I am definitely looking forward to it when I finally get to it. Glad to hear it is pretty good (not that I was expecting much else).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”