[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

JWK
Elder Thing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

Commander tactics question: Is there ever a time when "Kill the Golos player ASAP" is not the tactically correct decision? It seems every game I've played in the past couple months that included someone playing Golos, if people don't make a concerted effort to just take out the Golos player, Golos just pulls a win out of nowhere.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

JWK wrote:
3 years ago
Commander tactics question: Is there ever a time when "Kill the Golos player ASAP" is not the tactically correct decision? It seems every game I've played in the past couple months that included someone playing Golos, if people don't make a concerted effort to just take out the Golos player, Golos just pulls a win out of nowhere.
100% unless there's another of the ~10 or so annoying busted commanders. I target Korvold over golos because they're more likely to blow up all my lands.

JWK
Elder Thing

Yeah, plus Korvold can be faster than Golos, so that is probably legit.

And maybe Kinnan should be killed first just on principle.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

pokken

JWK wrote:
3 years ago

I have a mental list and I know them when I see them but they're always a problem. golos, chulane, korvold, kinnan, brago, etc. animar, maelstrom wanderer.

JWK
Elder Thing

I have never seen a Kinnan deck actually win an EDH game, because pretty much everyone agrees on the danger and just takes out the Kinnan player ASAP.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I was pleasantly surprised to get that one-year badge. I thought my post count would be higher than it is, though. I better get off my ass.
Considering my MTGS post count, I thought mine would have been higher as well. I guess I don't %$#% as much as I used to.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
JWK wrote:
3 years ago

I have a mental list and I know them when I see them but they're always a problem. golos, chulane, korvold, kinnan, brago, etc. animar, maelstrom wanderer.
Same. The ubiquity of these commanders also makes it easier to convince the rest of the table to bring their resources to bear. In fact, I'd say my decks headed by relatively obscure commanders are allowed to fly under the radar when one of these is present.

Brago, though? I agree that he's capable of some shenanigans, but not on the same level as the others listed. I'd be curious to hear about the game(s) that caused so much grief for you.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

JWK
Elder Thing

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago

Brago, though? I agree that he's capable of some shenanigans, but not on the same level as the others listed. I'd be curious to hear about the game(s) that caused so much grief for you.
I'm guessing he's had some experience with more staxy Brago builds. They can be really miserable to play against, especially since Brago decks are notoriously slow to actually close out games.

pokken

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
What brago decks are you running into that are *not* setting up some overwhelming shenanigans? They're basically always aiming for the resonator combo in my experience, or alternatively some kind of stax. Or Reality Acid. in the tamest variety they're going to draw a million cards. You basically cannot let Brago start connecting of they overwhelm the board.

The memory that sticks in my craw is the time I had to fight through getting my lands Spine of Ish Sah'd until I had no lands while the rest of the table was useless :P

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
What brago decks are you running into that are *not* setting up some overwhelming shenanigans? They're basically always aiming for the resonator combo in my experience, or alternatively some kind of stax. Or Reality Acid. in the tamest variety they're going to draw a million cards. You basically cannot let Brago start connecting of they overwhelm the board.

The memory that sticks in my craw is the time I had to fight through getting my lands Spine of Ish Sah'd until I had no lands while the rest of the table was useless :P
I think maybe I just found Brago decks easier to disrupt compared to the ones you mentioned. 'Easier,' mind you, not necessarily easy. It also could be that I've never faced a tuned Brago deck.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

pokken

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I think maybe I just found Brago decks easier to disrupt compared to the ones you mentioned. 'Easier,' mind you, not necessarily easy. It also could be that I've never faced a tuned Brago deck.
I mean they are easy to disrupt, you kill Brago. over and over. But to me they're just like chulane et al that you have to keep killing them or they steamroll.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

I'd definitely consider Brago to be kill-on-sight. He generates tons of mana (by untapping rocks) and value (by blinking planeswalkers or any number of etb:draw cards), in addition to the spicier things like reality acid, and he comes out turn 3 or earlier very easily. And any blue commander has to be taken more seriously because they might have countermagic to protect their win.

Definitely in the camp of design I hate. If he didn't target unlimited options he'd be less disgusting but they had to push the envelope. Roon was the previous blink commander and he cost mana to activate, only targeted creatures, only did 1 at a time, and cost 5. As much as I like the conspiracy set as a draft format, it gave us some really stupid commanders - even if they've gotten less obvious with the influx of stupid recent commanders.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Definitely in the camp of design I hate.
Kinda rule one of my deckbuilding these days is to make decks that do not require people to remove my commander or sweep my board constantly the entire game to have a chance of winning.

Give me slow wonky engines, combo pieces I can wait to delay until later, anything really except for Primeval Titan in the command zone that is so many of these things.

It's while Maelstrom Wanderer is now officially Omnath, Locus of the Roil and all my Golos decks are getting taken apart. etc. etc.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

For an off-topic thread, we certainly go on-topic a lot. So...

I never stream things on time and I just finished season three of Daredevil last night. Holy crap it was terrific! There's more and more buzz about Disney picking it back up again, and I'd be amped.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago

I never stream things on time and I just finished season three of Daredevil last night. Holy crap it was terrific! There's more and more buzz about Disney picking it back up again, and I'd be amped.
I've been spending my time lately rewatching a lot of the cartoons I grew up (plus a few new things).

Things I've watched in the past few months:
  • Kim Possible - Some shows you are afraid to rewatch because you are afraid that they won't hold up. Kim Possible is not that show. It is still great, and even after 80 or so episodes I still crave more. It's just pure enjoyable watching, and perfect for the right now. Especially the fourth season, which is one of the best final seasons I can think of (and especially impressive given how they decide to not to reset from "So the Drama" which they thought would be the final (and a decision 90% of the shows at the time would've made), but instead decide to lean into it and progress).
  • Animaniacs (Reboot) - It was the perfect reboot in that it had everything I love (minus a few missing characters) and made me laugh a lot. I am excited to see what they have in store for the next season.
  • Danny Phantom - This did not hold up as well as I remember. Still fun, but some of the problems were really glaring throughout the run. Part of the problem is that it wasn't meant to be binged. But the biggest problem is that, unlike Kim Possible, it doesn't know how to balance telling a grander story, while still having contained episodes. It also didn't know how to do character progression, as many main characters are almost exactly the same from the first episode to the last. There are also a few loose plot points that don't payoff, but I am chalking that up to it not getting a final season before they were forced to make the grand finale. Honestly, I do love the characters, character design (classic Butch Hartman), and the unique interesting world, but it could really be beefed up by committing more to a season long story arc. I think it would be a great candidate for a full on reboot. Plus it would give us an excuse to see Martin Mull ham it up as Vlad Plasimus - Danny's arch enemy, #1 creep, and Dairy King of Wisconsin. God, I love Martin Mull.
  • Big Hero 6: The Series - Basically a better version of what Danny Phantom is trying to do. And it does a good job of balancing its episodic nature with season long plots. Some of the villains are a miss, but overall they have a strong and entertaining rogues gallery, with a special shout-out to Noodle Burger Boy, who is at once a really unique robot villain (even discounting the fact he is a corrupted fast food mascot), who is both a lot of fun and threatening. My only complaint is that there are a few too many Fred centric episodes at the cost of having episodes for others in Big Hero Six.
  • My Life as a Teenage Robot - What I am currently rewatching. But I forgot how much I love the art design and general atmosphere in the series. It includes a lot of modern cartoon story design philosophies, with a generous helping of Tex Avery and Chuck Jones thrown in. But the art is just *chef's kiss*. A beautiful mix of minimalism, Futura, 40's & 50's aesthetic, and sprinkled with a bit of Metropolis.

JWK
Elder Thing

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I mean they are easy to disrupt, you kill Brago. over and over. But to me they're just like chulane et al that you have to keep killing them or they steamroll.
Exactly this. I have appreciated the design of some of the Brago decks I have played against over the years, but I don't think I have every actually enjoyed playing against one of them.

JWK
Elder Thing

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago

I would love if Disney continued the Netflix Marvel shows. Even Iron Fist, which was pretty bad most of the time, because I like the direction it was heading. I guess Jessica can go to Hulu instead of Disney, though. Either way, Daredevil and Luke Cage are both fantastic, and I would love to see then folded into the official MCU, and continued.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

JWK wrote:
3 years ago
Exactly this. I have appreciated the design of some of the Brago decks I have played against over the years, but I don't think I have every actually enjoyed playing against one of them.
My friend had a brago deck that flickered all the variants of Oblivion Ring after he cleared the contents with eldrazi processors. That deck was really neat.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

@Guardman: You're probably a few years younger than me. I do remember liking what I saw of Danny Phantom; it was certainly a cool idea. Vlad Plasmius is actually my YouTube sn. I still haven't checked out the new Animaniacs, but I'm really looking forward to it. Did you ever watch Freakazoid? It was the victim of bad time slots when it originally aired, but I think it was sharper and funnier than just about anything else then or since.

@JWK: I still have to watch the last seasons of Jessica Jones and the Punisher. My only real issue with most of the MCU shows on Netflix is that they sometimes dragged. I wish they were allowed to just tell the story they want to tell instead of having to fill a requisite 13 episode order. Both seasons of Luke Cage suffered a lot from this, despite my liking them overall.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Hello,
Do you have a minute to look at our little and savoured November CCL? It has been a long time since it should have ended, but here we are, with almost a month slip.
I assume that many of you are not that interested in custom cards' designs, since then you would post in that forum as well. However, CCL is a monthly contest, in which the winner is chosen in the final round via common voting. Even if you did not participate in any of rounds, your vote still matters! All you need to do is to follow the above link, read carefully both what was the final challange and each of the submissions, then vote for the one you find the best. What "the best" means? Well, it is only up to you, but as a entrenched - or maybe not yet - MTG player you probably know what kind of cards you find interesting and fun, and which not. Moreover, if you feel a surge of writing prowess, you can post in linked thread your opinions about the submitted designs. It is always fun - and educating - to hear someone's opinion about your custom design.
We all know this is a special time of the year. For all the finalists of November CCL, interest in their hard work is truly a nice gift. I dare to say that it is better to lose with 7-8 votes, the to win with only 3. Reading, evaluating and voting is only a few minutes at most from your side, but it means a lot to contestants.

I hope it is not to much on-topic for off-topic thread, but I guess it is the best place for community driven contest outside of Custom Card Design board. May I also ask, why off-topic community chat is in commander board?

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
@Guardman: You're probably a few years younger than me. I do remember liking what I saw of Danny Phantom; it was certainly a cool idea. Vlad Plasmius is actually my YouTube sn. I still haven't checked out the new Animaniacs, but I'm really looking forward to it. Did you ever watch Freakazoid? It was the victim of bad time slots when it originally aired, but I think it was sharper and funnier than just about anything else then or since.
Boy do I remember Freakazoid. I swear at least once a month I spend a good hour rewatching clips of it on YouTube. Everything from Anubis Market, to doing an entire send-up to Hello Dolly, to Relax-O-Vision, to getting Ricardo Montalbán to repeatedly yell "I am not a Weenie", to everything that is Ed Asner's Cosgrove.

These are some of my favorite clips in any show. And even after all these years and watching them hundred of times do they make me laugh.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

It really was gone too soon. I would love to see it come back, but the big sticking point is I am not sure Ed Asner wants to commit to an entire series (he is 91 after all). And not only does the show need Cosgrove, I really can't see anyone else playing him.

Huggbees!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
May I also ask, why off-topic community chat is in commander board?
Happy to vote, friend. Happy holidays!

As for why this thread is here, it's not like this is the official off-topic subforum for the whole site. That's the "break room" or something, but no one really chills there. This thread is more like our personal clubhouse, based on the off-topic thread of the same name on the edh forums back on MTGS. And yeah, we are all staggeringly cool cats so that's maybe why everyone hangs out here anyway, but you and whomever else are always welcome to come and talk. We're friendly folk.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

@Guardman: Those clips! I remember them all! I've got both seasons on DVD and need to watch them again. Side note, did you know that Freakazoid made an appearance in Teen Titans Go, and it was just THIS YEAR?!?!? The clip played after one of the ones you posted.

Also, your clips didn't have enough hula girls or poo gas.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
@Guardman: Those clips! I remember them all! I've got both seasons on DVD and need to watch them again. Side note, did you know that Freakazoid made an appearance in Teen Titans Go, and it was just THIS YEAR?!?!? The clip played after one of the ones you posted.
I saw that when I searched for those clips. I will have to keep an eye out, because I want to see that episode now.
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Also, your clips didn't have enough hula girls or poo gas.
Well if I included everything I love about Freakazoid the post would've been twelve pages long. :P

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

JWK wrote:
3 years ago
Maze's End Golos decks probably don't necessarily need to be immediately hated out of the game. I've also got a pretty chill Golos deck that I don't think needs to eat the hate stick that hard. I think those decks are the exception to the rule though. Golos is definitely on the list of "murder this player immediately until contrary evidence is presented".

More off topic. I've been really wanting to re-watch the Daredevil series on netflix. That show was fantastic. I also want to rewatch Vinland Saga and Avatar. I still need to watch the season finale of the Mandalorian. I've got a lot on my to watch list. >.>

Christmas has been great for me. I got the Spirit Island expansion which I'm incredibly excited to play. I've also acquired a better webcam for playing EDH on discord. My family still got together so its been incredibly relaxing for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”