[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

If I was to get the bob ross lands It would be to put them in a picture frame and hang them on my wall not for actual play use as they are pieces of art rather than cards in my eyes. But alas I am poor atm so No bob ross for me.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Rorseph » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Its a real shame they didn't do full art for the bob ross lands. Whoever made the decision to not do that needs a talking to.
It's an aspect ratio thing, unfortunately. The orientation and size of Bob Ross' paintings wouldn't exactly lend themselves to full arts in a standard-size card game.
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

They admitted to cropping some images to get the Swamps to work, so they could have focused on the aspects of the art pieces that exemplify the land in question. Or done full-art Panoramics, with several lands making one painting.

===

In other news, I'm really sad at some of the designs that got cut from Commander Legends.

Eladamri and Rofellos surprise me as not making the cut considering the elf themes, and how they are more prominent characters, but I'm most sad about Predator (Vehicle Commander?!?) and Marisi designs not making it. Marisi looks hilarious and fun.

Ashmoranomardicalstinaculdacar coming down on 2 would have been awesome as well. Stax, without being stax.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Most of these its relatively easy to see why they were cut. Some of them are stupid ass busted. Tbh, new Rofellos doesn't look like it would've been any less horrendous than the original for example.

I am still sad to not see Ashnod.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Keep in mind that they got cut at various points during the playtest time frame, which means that they likely haven't been through balancing yet. Most didn't seem too terribly busted. Some seemed like they might need a bit of balancing, but nothing too crazy.

The most busted is likely the blue one that draws cards whenever a creature damages an opponent (doesn't say yours), plus we've seen Niv/Curiosity combos before. I'm sure that one is from fairly early in the process.

Ashmoranomardicalstinaculdacar at 2 seems strong, but giving opponents the choice of stax effects (and that we have 40 life to start), means that she really doesn't actually do THAT much early on. She could prove strong for eternal formats as a 2 mana 3/2 with a powerful ability, but my understanding of eternal formats is that they don't really go into combat in that way, and his ability gives the opponent the choice and is slow.

Ashnod was actually one that I was a bit less excited about when shown. I want her as a character and a card, but that card shown was just Ashnod's Altar and Ashnod's Transmogrant smushed together, on a Commander, and I don't think a Command Zone Altar is something that would necessarily be healthy for the format - though I guess some groups wouldn't mind that. She looks like he got cut very early in the process, just after they looked at what old cards are flavored of hers. I would rather have seen a design that works with her existing cards, than simply be a copy of them in the CZ. Kind of like how Tormod's design is, compared to Tormod's Crypt (though you really probably wouldn't want to crypt yourself), but I still like the synergy between GY exile, and "caring about GY movement". Not sure how to flavor Ashnod in a way that doesn't simply make her "generic sacrifice Commander, variant 6" - but some sort of synergy like that would be what I personally would want to see from her.

===

I watched some of the other videos, and I'm also sad that Baron Sengir lost the ability to curse people. (An early copy apparently had him as a cheaper flyer, that made a flying 2/2 vampire on attack, but if the player had a curse counter, you make 3 of them. When Sengir dies, you get to curse someone and give them a curse counter). That looked super exciting.
Last edited by bobthefunny 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
Ashmoranomardicalstinaculdacar at 2 seems strong, but giving opponents the choice of stax effects (and that we have 40 life to start), means that he...

Ashnod was actually one that I was a bit less excited about when shown. I want him....
Not to derail your critiques too much, but both of these characters are female :)

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

WizardMN wrote:
3 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
Ashmoranomardicalstinaculdacar at 2 seems strong, but giving opponents the choice of stax effects (and that we have 40 life to start), means that he...

Ashnod was actually one that I was a bit less excited about when shown. I want him....
Not to derail your critiques too much, but both of these characters are female :)
Thanks for that correction! You'd would think that playing for as long as I have, I would be better about the lore. But alas, here we are. I think I corrected it all. :p

EDIT: What's your source on Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar being a woman? The card in the video has no revealing text, and the 3 cards that reference Asmoran, (Granite Gargoyle, Lightning Axe, Sauté) also don't specify?
(nm, found the wiki page - She's in one of the Anthologies)

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

I'm dragging today. I'm really ready for Christmas next week. Anyone have any interesting plans considering the state of events? Any interesting traditions? Does anyone not really celebrate it?

I don't have anything particularly exciting planned other than a 3 day work week followed by a 3 day work week.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
I'm dragging today. I'm really ready for Christmas next week. Anyone have any interesting plans considering the state of events? Any interesting traditions? Does anyone not really celebrate it?

I don't have anything particularly exciting planned other than a 3 day work week followed by a 3 day work week.
We are just doing a Zoom call for Christmas due to Covid, but a smaller contingent of my family (and I live with 4 of them already) are getting together for our traditional New Year's celebration. Due to work schedules and stuff, we are meeting on the 1st instead of the 31st so we will miss the ball drop, but we do a gift exchange and then have steak and lobster for dinner.

Otherwise, I just took Christmas Eve through New Year's off from work so I will probably be playing a lot of Elder Scrolls Online and Magic Online during that time.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
I'm really ready for Christmas next week. Anyone have any interesting plans considering the state of events? Any interesting traditions? Does anyone not really celebrate it?
I am off work Dec. 24-Jan 3. I hope to play lots of Magic via webcam during that time.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Nothing much for me, staying home safe and sound. Did x mas with the fam over thanksgiving. My daycare provider got covid so we have been juggling handling the kiddo ourselves this week / next week.

I do have plans for some online magic with some friends this weekend though so looking forward to that.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

I was going to take the next couple weeks off, but it looks like that's not going to work out well. I'll probably take the inter-holiday time and a few days off into January to make up for it. Nothing too exciting for Christmas - hanging out with my wife and video calls with our families.

In less festive news, I'm officially an inventor in the eyes of the US government. A patent that I'm listed on was just granted. Not unusual for my line of work and it's owned by the company, but it's my first one so it's still pretty cool.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

Christmas this time around will be just my parents and me, with my brother staying with his partner in Vienna, since she won't travel to her family in Finland either.
I'll take the 30km/20mi trip on the morning of 24th and will likely return late on 26th. While it's the first time, in my 32 years on this planet, one of us core 4 is missing, i don't feel too down about it right now. Nothing about 2020 really makes for a festive vibe and with all the borders that would have to be crossed and quarantine regulations, the hoops to jump through would be just absurd.

As with the months already behind is, i'm just looking for me and my loved ones to be as safe as possible. Given that, i hope all of you and yours get through these uncertain times healthy and without major mental health struggles. :love:
SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
In less festive news, I'm officially an inventor in the eyes of the US government. A patent that I'm listed on was just granted. Not unusual for my line of work and it's owned by the company, but it's my first one so it's still pretty cool.
Congrats! :party:

toctheyounger

bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
Ashnod was actually one that I was a bit less excited about when shown.
Oh for sure. The design was pretty uninspired, I just like the character. I'd have hope for more myself, so I'm fairly glad she didn't see the light of day in this iteration.
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago

I'm feeling it myself. Work has been bonkers. Small team with a couple of workmates away is tough, and Medical Oncology goes pretty nuts this time of year. It doesn't really make a lot of sense, but there's this perceived rush to get chemo underway before christmas hits. We work through except for stats, though, so it's neither here nor there pragmatically speaking.

Its my kid's first christmas, so both families want to see us where we usually do turn about on the actual day of Christmas. Both families live pretty close so it isn't the worst in the world, but I think the biggest thing will be actually having some downtime, and more importantly being around to take some heat off of my wife, she's really feeling pretty worn down between a teething, clingy hugely hungry kid and doing a huge amount of baking and gift prep.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
3 years ago
Congrats! :party:
Thanks!
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
I'm feeling it myself. Work has been bonkers. Small team with a couple of workmates away is tough, and Medical Oncology goes pretty nuts this time of year. It doesn't really make a lot of sense, but there's this perceived rush to get chemo underway before christmas hits. We work through except for stats, though, so it's neither here nor there pragmatically speaking.
I can sympathize, though my work is a little less life and death. My work all comes from internal clients and no one wants their project hanging over their head during the holidays, so December is always a madhouse while everyone tries to get things done by the end of the year.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

toctheyounger

SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
I can sympathize, though my work is a little less life and death. My work all comes from internal clients and no one wants their project hanging over their head during the holidays, so December is always a madhouse while everyone tries to get things done by the end of the year.
Yeah it's a little weird to me. It's just another holiday, so the mad rush doesn't really seem all that significant. I guess it's that time of year that everyone wants to be away from the office, but that kind of makes me want to stay at work and get leave later. Beat the crowds and such. I guess I get it in terms of my job, there's quite a significant degree of anxiety, and it'd be hard to keep your spirits up through the holidays without having an awful diagnosis addressed.

materpillar
the caterpillar

I just had my Academy Rector die and I searched up Pyromancy. My opponents were like "Oh that's kinda cute."

I had 9 untapped mana and my hand was Worldspine Wurm, Spring // Mind, Nicol Bolas, Bosh, Iron Golem, Shark Typhoon, Bringer of the Black Dawn and Krosan Tusker.
image.png
Neither of them survived my following turn.

@SocorroTortoise Congratulations! That's pretty sweet.
@toctheyounger I hope things are relatively chill for you even though it sounds like that usually isn't the case.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I just wanted to say that whenever CommandFests return (2022, probably) if anyone lives on, or is able to make it to east coast of the US, I'd love to meet up and jam some games.

On one hand, I can't wait to start giving out Covid shots, but it's going to be a madhouse when we get them.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
@toctheyounger I hope things are relatively chill for you even though it sounds like that usually isn't the case.
It's just this time of year, its as manic as any industry is around Christmas. As macabre as it sounds you get used to the fact that most of the people you're booking appointments for will pass away at some point, that doesn't change seasonally. Comes with the territory, unfortunately. Success just looks different to us - getting people to their daughters' weddings etc.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

anyone else get a badge for being on nexus for a year? Time flies! Happy to be part of this community.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

materpillar
the caterpillar

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
anyone else get a badge for being on nexus for a year? Time flies! Happy to be part of this community.
Feels like it's been waaaaaaay longer than that. XD

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I got a year badge annd a spammer badge :) woot.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I got a year badge annd a spammer badge :) woot.
Wowza, you outpost me like 5 to 1.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

Think i only have the one year badge
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I was pleasantly surprised to get that one-year badge. I thought my post count would be higher than it is, though. I better get off my ass.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”