[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

bt67
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by bt67 » 4 years ago

I run Aetherworks Marvel in my Prossh deck, just him coming into play and sacing the 6 Kolbolds gets you a activation, plus the deck runs a huge token theme along with ways to sac them like using the Devour mechanic and every time I've drawn AE it was useful....

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

make tokens
get tokens killed
????
profit
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I remember there was a guy that was excited to ram it into his Marchesa, the Black Rose. I don't remember it taking on too dominant a role in there. However, that deck saw it fit to Jokulhaups finish, so I avoided interacting with it too much :P think Marchesa's one of the better commanders for it, but there are already so many other (likely better) things you could be doing with her. That's probably how the card will also shake out in other potential brews.
I would not run it in my Marchesa deck. First of all, manifest is a lot better for cheating things into play. Second of all, the deck has a low curve so activating this once per turn cycle seems worse than playing cards that trigger whenever a creature dies.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

I've wanted to run it before myself, but haven't really had the deck to it in. I feel like it'd be good in a self-sac/aristocrats style shell - maybe Teysa Karlov or Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim would suit it?
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

[mention]Dunharrow[/mention], I don't think I've seen your Marchesa list. May I?
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

I had tried it in a Glissa deck with grinding station. I...was underwhelmed and it did not take long to cut it.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Morganelefay

Post by Morganelefay » 4 years ago

Until we get more energy generators and payoffs, energy cards will always have a hard time in EDH. Aetherworks Marvel has potentional but is too unreliable right now.
EDH Decks:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis - Arise, Lord Hogaak.
Grumgully, the Generous - The wonderful world of Ferngully.
Prime Speaker Zegana - Draw Cards Tribal.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal & Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Imaginary Superfriends.
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Taxes, Denial and Fatties.
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - Dinos and Eldrazis, oh my.
Ayara, First of Locthwain - March of the Black Queen.
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh - Chandra Tribal.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Curious Contraptions

3drinks

Friday, August 16th, 2019; Myr Enforcer

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I remember loving this in 2003 in my short-lived standard affinity control deck. Then rafinity came along...

Anyway it's not a huge payoff for artifacts really. Even a 0-mana 4/4 would be pretty unexciting, and this is a 0-mana 4/4 on like turn 3 at the earliest. Only real benefit I see is the relatively high CMC if you care about that.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

I once contemplated the inception of a Vial Smasher/Tymna affinity deck. The dream of windmilling this guy for 0, doming you for 7, was good. Great even. What happened to it?

Well, I did say I contemplated it's inception once....

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

lyonhaert

Well now I'm imagining some sort of grixis artifact jank with cards like this, Bosh, Iron Golem, Energy Tap, and Priest of Yawgmoth/Soldevi Adnate.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago

man in a world of artifact lands this guy is neat.

I would think in edh you could reduce the cost. . .but ill say this. . .paying any more than zero for this guy your doing It wrong haha

affinity is beautiful and its sick depressing child metalcraft. . .I digress

I look forward to the return to mirrodin/new phyrexia and the exploration of its children. . .the Myr
and the rise of Venser as the lord of machines

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

I have seen Frogmite in EDH but not the enforcer. If you want free artifacts, this is a long way down the list... and if you want a vanilla 4/4, you're not playing my kind of EDH.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

lyonhaert

The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
...and the rise of Venser as the lord of machines
Ain't he dead, though?
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I can't think of any good reasons to run a vanilla 4/4 creature, even if it is potentially free - the body just isn't impactful enough. If you want something like this, I would point to Metalwork Colossus, which has a much larger body (and a faster-scaling cost reduction ability).

There are some reasons to run expensive artifact creatures with low effective casting costs - Bosh, Iron Golem has been mentioned, but there are also cards like Padeem, Consul of Innovation, Muzzio, Visionary Architect, and One With the Machine. Birthing Pod and Prime Speaker Vannifar may also be worth consideration - the best 8 drop (Griselbrand) isn't legal, but there are other 8 mana creatures worth podding into.

Might be worth consideration for a pauper / peasant artifact-based aggro deck, if that is a thing that exists.

The N82O Molecule

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
...and the rise of Venser as the lord of machines
Ain't he dead, though?
im a firm believer that he is not dead. "Phyrexia" doesn't kill, rather its not the first option. did his spark save Karn? sure, when you lose your spark are you dead? so they say ;)

nothing a little compleation and imagination cant fix

anyway he deserves it, secondly we could use him. . .he created a device that could teleport. . .im thinking like. . .hey man make one of those things and lets start spreading the word at how amazing you (venser) are and stuff (obv when I say you I mean us and by us my mean all that is phyrexian)

he could change his name . . rather transend the name Venser and become more. . .ahem. . .so anyway yeah not dead (to me)

I take it you think hes dead? I honestly hope he is not, as I really enjoyed the time spiral books and his character within it. his planeswalker cards are a little off color and such. . .but im holding onto a little piece of him haha

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Myr Enforcer Was a four-of in every Standard Affinity Deck 2004-5. A multifaceted deck that could consistently win on turn 3-5 in Standard.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

lyonhaert

The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
I take it you think hes dead?
That was my vague recollection. Obscured by the passage of time and many sleeps.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

The N82O Molecule

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
I take it you think hes dead?
That was my vague recollection. Obscured by the passage of time and many sleeps.
you are correct.

im a dreamer Lyonhaert

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

I like Myr Enforcer in other formats, like the period when affinity was Standard-legal. It's not as useful here in EDH, because you only get 6 artifact lands in a 99-card deck instead of 24 in a 60-card deck. (Which is good: Free spells will walk away with the game.) One particular issue is, it's a virtual vanilla: Other than affinity, it does nothing but be a 4/4.

And yeah, I like the idea of Venser, Father of Machines. Wait, Koth was smart enough to burn Venser's body, right?
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
im a firm believer that he is not dead. "Phyrexia" doesn't kill, rather its not the first option. did his spark save Karn? sure, when you lose your spark are you dead? so they say
There are at least a couple of people who lost their sparks and lived; Nicol Bolas (he's just stuck on the Meditation Plane, apparently) and Azor, the Lawbringer (trapped on Ixalan).

So, losing or 'spending' your spark doesn't kill you, per se. It's interesting that the eternal's despark process killed Domri and Dack Fayden, but somehow did not kill Nicol Bolas.

lyonhaert

Ob Nixilis didn't die from losing his spark, either. Maybe it's a fortitude thing (i.e., humans are squishy).
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

The N82O Molecule

I appreciate the imagination!!

until wizards goes back its canon that he is dead sadly

i sorta picture in my head a moment where venser loses his spark (starts dying), karn kneels down and picks up his upper body and chest, venser sorta looks up at his old friend and they have a moment. . .vensers last gasp and dies in karns arms, karn sets the body back and they begin dialogue as book notates. what the book didn't tell you is a phyrexian comes up and does the same thing. . .then venser says. . .im not quit dead yet, i feel better actually. . .looks up at the phyrexian and then compleation (oh and to keep this on point a myr inforcer was also there)

his rise as lord of machines merely implies, well phyrexian oil is in need of a spark. . .and venser can be that vessel, but his temperament or vision will be askew (away from previous lord of machines), maybe he just wants to get back home to Urborg anyway haha

3drinks

Saturday, August 17th, 2019; Hurkyl's Recall

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Saturday, August 17th, 2019; Hurkyl's Recall

Back when I still played U, this was a cornerstone card of every one of my Mystical Tutor packages. Was never sad to see, always a blowout, especially effective when you make someone commit to an attack and then pull this to deny them the sword triggers they were relying on.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”