[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
Looks like YouTube is down. I thought it might of had something to do with the latest version of Adobe Flash Player and when I updated it the website still won't view videos on my web browser. Anyone know what's going on?
Youtube hasn't used flash for a couple of years now, so I doubt that has anything to do with it. I did notice a little slowdown on Youtube a few days ago, but it solved itself in a matter of hours.

About a year ago, Youtube didn't work for much of Europe for almost a week, turned out to be a server issue on their side. They had migrated to new servers in Europe and it took quite a while for it to propagate properly due to the sheer size of Youtube.

Edit: Apparently it was down for a while earlier today. But it got resolved, relatively quickly. There is no official reason (yet), and it primarily affected North America.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
Looks like YouTube is down. I thought it might of had something to do with the latest version of Adobe Flash Player and when I updated it the website still won't view videos on my web browser. Anyone know what's going on?
Youtube hasn't used flash for a couple of years now, so I doubt that has anything to do with it.
Chrome's dumping flash support next month anyway
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Card Slinger J wrote:
3 years ago
Youtube hasn't used flash for a couple of years now, so I doubt that has anything to do with it.
Chrome's dumping flash support next month anyway
Oracle (The ones who own the underlying software at the moment) has announced that they are in the process of phasing it out, and should be done in Spring '21. After that, it will no longer receive support. Besides, from my understanding, HTML5 is much safer and less resource intensive.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
Was it AIR - ITH - KNEE ? Because if, not, I'm still getting it wrong, though at least I think I managed to spell it correctly.
Air-Ith-Nay, per my own made up pronunciation rules :grin:

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

I recently had a game of Brawl on Arena - Heliod mirror match - that went for over 3 hours. I finished the game at 1977 life. Every attack step would result in 15-25 heliod triggers each. My Beloved Princess got to be an 85/85 at one point.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

I managed to preorder a box of commander legends for a nice price. It's the first sealed product I've bought since the Korvold Brawl deck and I admit I'm pretty hyped. I figured the jumpstart-esque supply issue would manifest itself most viciously, but supply doesn't seem to be an issue in Albuquerque.

How is everyone else making out on their ends? Any delays/supply issues of note?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
I managed to preorder a box of commander legends for a nice price. It's the first sealed product I've bought since the Korvold Brawl deck and I admit I'm pretty hyped. I figured the jumpstart-esque supply issue would manifest itself most viciously, but supply doesn't seem to be an issue in Albuquerque.

How is everyone else making out on their ends? Any delays/supply issues of note?
I'd heard there were some issues with port congestion in Auckland, but we seem to be all on track so far. I don't have wood to touch, but I am crossing my fingers. I got a box on the way myself and I'm pretty excited to crack some packs.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
Which shop? I live down in Roswell

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago

It was delayed by WotC specifically to minimize or negate supply issues.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

Airi wrote:
3 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
Was it AIR - ITH - KNEE ? Because if, not, I'm still getting it wrong, though at least I think I managed to spell it correctly.
Air-Ith-Nay, per my own made up pronunciation rules :grin:
Your name, your rules! :grin:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
Which shop? I live down in Roswell
Ettin Games ABQ. A lovely little LGS it is. Very friendly staff. They're also in the WPN, so when/if organized play returns, I'm looking forward to meeting the local crowd.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

The husband and wife that owned and operated my closest and most frequented shop for 23 years both passed away this year. We were friends, especially me and husband. He died of heart disease and she succumbed to cancer exactly one month later. What sucks is I hadn't seen them since the mask mandate back in Marchish. Wife had cancer, so I figured in order to minimize her potential to exposure, I'd wait for the scare/threat of COVID to pass before seeing them again. ("Two weeks" our government overlords told us.) Then on top of that, WotC ended all live events.
They were cutthroat businessmen, not infrequently coy with customers, but good people deep down, and faithfully open for business - FNMs, prereleases, releases, drafts, and host to my custom set tournaments and other special events I put on - for almost 25 years. I wish they were still here. Husband's name was "Bob". One of three close buddies named "Bob" that I lost this year (none to COVID, FTR). Damn you 2020.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

@Legend

Sorry for your loss. 2020 has been %$#% all around. Hopefully we are nearing the light at the end of the tunnel of %$#% we've all had to deal with.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@Legend

I'm sorry to hear that, man. There's nothing worse than losing a friend, and you can't put a price on a business you like to support. I think you can take some solace in your quarter-century of support though, as I'm sure they appreciated your loyalty as a friend and customer. There's nothing else you could have done.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Opened my box, got a vampiric tutor and an etched foil Nevinyrral! Esper control, here I come! I'm also plotting a Dargo/Alena deck, as I miss red cards.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Opened my two boxes. I got a lot of the lesser value stuff I wanted and the noteables were a Vampiric Tutor and Jeweled Lotus. Made my money back and then some.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I'm really tempted to get a box of this set. At first I said I'd just buy a few things I wanted but I'm actually pretty interested in this set now. Although I might just save for the foil Vampiric Tutor I need

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
The husband and wife that owned and operated my closest and most frequented shop for 23 years both passed away this year. We were friends, especially me and husband. He died of heart disease and she succumbed to cancer exactly one month later. What sucks is I hadn't seen them since the mask mandate back in Marchish. Wife had cancer, so I figured in order to minimize her potential to exposure, I'd wait for the scare/threat of COVID to pass before seeing them again. ("Two weeks" our government overlords told us.) Then on top of that, WotC ended all live events.
They were cutthroat businessmen, not infrequently coy with customers, but good people deep down, and faithfully open for business - FNMs, prereleases, releases, drafts, and host to my custom set tournaments and other special events I put on - for almost 25 years. I wish they were still here. Husband's name was "Bob". One of three close buddies named "Bob" that I lost this year (none to COVID, FTR). Damn you 2020.
Sorry for your losses. 2020 has been a year of up and downs for me. A lot of difficult losses that have spoiled a year of many firsts. Just 'celebrated' my first wedding anniversary and I can tell you it was bittersweet.

I just anxiously wait for the day when this pandemic is over so that I can at least hug the people I love. Hard to go through loss and not even be allowed to be with people to help you grieve.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

I bought two boxes. I am using them for sealed play, tomorrow a couple of COVID-smart friends are coming over to play sealed with me and my wife. I have also opened 6 packs already to play some sealed pods online. That particular pull was not particularly good. I had lots of the black and green elves but no commanders for them, I ended up doing UR pirates with Captain Vargus Wrath at the helm, won a 1 v 1 game because my deck was pretty fast but was badly outclassed in a 4 person pod. I didn't get anything of notable value, or even anything I really wanted, in those six packs, but I have a lot more to go.

The presence and sheer amount of Monarch in this set creates some pretty interesting situations, and some of the Monarch cards are pretty clever in their own right.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

I played a 3 person sealed game. I had a blast. The watchup was Amareth, the Lustrous vs Kodama of the East Tree // Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools vs Obeka, Brute Chronologist.

Amareth, the Lustrous and Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools both drew an insane amount of cards. Coastline Marauders was swinging in as a 17/3. XD

Obeka, Brute Chronologist just got out card advantaged/ramped. I eventually killed him with a 23/23 Kodama of the East Tree (from Immaculate Magistrate) combined with Monstrous Onslaught to plague wind him. Then in the 1v1, Amareth, the Lustrous ended up decking because he couldn't get through the mass swarm of thrulls from Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools along side Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools stealing his general twice.

In other news Kodama of the East Tree is buuuuusted.

JWK
Elder Thing

I played a four-person pod this morning with my Captain Vargus pirate deck against Abomination of Llanowar, the Sultai turtle guy and Colfenor, the Last Yew elfball. I took a fairly early lead, then the two elf decks got rolling, and for a long time the Turtle mostly pillow-forted and focused on gradually building and aggressively protecting his own board and I mostly played spectator and tried to not get killed. The two elf players put a lot of effort into trying keep the other from winning and eventually weakened themselves enough that the turtle was able to take one out while I finished the other in short order, then we duked it out. I won using Stonefury to kill his commander, then Renegade Tactics to sneak Wild Celebrants past his last blocker and Soul's Fire five from Celebrants right to his face. Along the way there were multiple board wipes via Necrotic Hex and the card that kills everything and makes you the Monarch. Turtle and I teamed up some to use his Cuombajj Witches to do some work. Azure Fleet Admiral and Kitesail Skirmisher once again did a lot of work for me.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Ugh, the port congestion did end up holding up my pickup. My LGS got some stock but didn't have enough to sort out all preorders, so I'm waiting till the latter part of this week. Still hyped though, looks a lot of fun.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

JWK
Elder Thing

It really is a pretty fun set to play sealed with. Monarch helps move games along. Cards like the Witches encourage politics. The Vows are definitely playable. There is ample artifact mana fixing, making games move apace and also making it viable to play with the various three-color commanders present in the set if you are lucky enough to pull one. Commander Legends plays a lot like how commander used to play a few years ago, honestly, with higher CMC bomb cards being viable and the games lasting long enough for them to be played.

JWK
Elder Thing

So, a friend came over, and he, my wife and I did a three-person sealed pod. All three of these pools were much better than my earlier one. My wife ended up with a B/G deck helmed by Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar and Gilanra, Caller of Wirewood. Our friend Derek did a U/B partner deck with Sengir, the Dark Baron and Ghost of Ramirez DePietro. I got a lot of potentially good commanders across several colors but ended up with a WBG deck headed by Colfenor, the Last Yew and including Tormod, the Desecrator and Kodama of the Center Tree in the 59. Everyone had some very good cards in their decks, but my all-stars were Szat's Will and Kamahl's Will. And Kodama, of course, is just flat-out insane, even in decks which aren't really optimized for it. I dunno squat about cEDH, but I imagine most other EDH tables are going to get really tired of seeing Kodama partnered with one of the strong original partners.

Lots of monarch fun was had, but across 6 games, in which it seems almost everyone runs at least one cascade card, I have yet to see anyone cascade into anything good. Feast of Succession is insanely good as an uncommon. Nice pulls so far include a foil Scroll Rack and a foil Opposition Agent, plus a pile of other cards I wanted from the set.

Hermes_

I'm considering selling out of magic as much as i can. I mainly play for the social aspect,and with next year in doubt for getting together to play I may just sell what i can and reinvest that into another one of my hobbies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”