Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
Every set I'm just reminded that Simic is actually the worst.

I'm actually pretty excited for some of the things in this set, but I'm still kind of holding out for a better UB legend (there should be two of them, and we've only seen one), as well as what will hopefully be the Sakashima partner card.

able archer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by able archer » 3 years ago

• Wyleth seems like the best RW auras commander we've ever gotten. Thin field though, seeing as Anax and Cymede are a weird tokens build and also pretty weak, while Tiana, Ship's Caretaker is more control in wanting you to loop Pacifisms. I think for RW equips that Akiri, Fearless Voyager is better: she doesn't put all your eggs in one basket, and the indestructibility is invaluable.
  • Aesi is annoyingly good. Obviously compares to Tatyova, Benthic Druid but I'm not sure if he's necessarily better: how many Exploration effects do we need?
  • The other four seem mediocre. I'll pick up the hydra for Gargos (pump him to a 12/11 and leave a blocker for GGG), but outside that I can't think who else wants it. The aura seems okay for enchantress, but I like Shielded by Faith more. Other two are resoundingly meh.
@Airi I love Aurami, wym?

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

I understood the Hydra to put X counters on itself, then put X on any number of Commanders you control.

able archer

Post by able archer » 3 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
I understood the Hydra to put X counters on itself, then put X on any number of Commanders you control.
Incorrect.

"répartissez X marquers +1/+1 entre elle et n'importe quel nombre de commandats" = "distribute X +1/+1 counters between it and any number of commanders." Notably, it doesn't target (ciblé).

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 3 years ago

That Hydra seems awful to me too. I guess it's ok in a dedicated tribal deck. My build of Rosheen isn't interested.

I've started brainstorm a Ghen list I'm liking it so far. The synergy with Parallax Wave is sweet, being able to sacrifice with activations on the stack to permanently exile creatures.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Wyleth, Soul of Steel (1RW)
Legendary Creature- Human Warrior
Trample
Whenever ~ attacks, draw a card for each aura and equipment attached to him.
2/2

It's a powerful card but I mean they didn't even spend a minute designing this card.
They went to the effort of creating Akiri, Fearless Voyager that at least you could tell they spent some time thinking about uniqueness.
I'm sorry the brewer in me wouldn't go near Wyleth just because it is so one-dimensional in approach.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

At least Wyleth works well with Reconnaissance. He might be fun with Bludgeon Brawl.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

I like Wyleth a bit, in that he shores up the card disadvantage of playing Voltron-y builds, which I've seen fall off sharply in my time. I built a Korvold with similar intents a while back. So yes, while he is Generic Boros Commander N, he at least doesn't get blown out the way those generally tend to.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Wyleth, Soul of Steel (1RW)
Legendary Creature- Human Warrior
Trample
Whenever ~ attacks, draw a card for each aura and equipment attached to him.
2/2

It's a powerful card but I mean they didn't even spend a minute designing this card.
They went to the effort of creating Akiri, Fearless Voyager that at least you could tell they spent some time thinking about uniqueness.
I'm sorry the brewer in me wouldn't go near Wyleth just because it is so one-dimensional in approach.
Likewise. I prefer unique mechanics over powerful but boring ones, yet that's how WotC designed many of their commanders these days. For the longest time, that's how they designed W/R after Ravnica #2 as well.

And Landfall is getting repetitive, especially if they are all pluses and no minuses. A single land drop to trigger a whole slew of effects, heh.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
3 years ago
And Landfall is getting repetitive, especially if they are all pluses and no minuses. A single land drop to trigger a whole slew of effects, heh.
Been burnt by Omn4th I take it?
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

able archer wrote:
3 years ago
@Airi I love Aurami, wym?
It's.... not what I was hoping for. Cool concept, but I absolutely hate the degree of investment needed on the card (multiple exiles, temporary tokens, etc.). It's just not what I was looking for, and not a play style I would find particularly enjoyable.

Cyberium

JWK wrote:
3 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
3 years ago
Not yet, actually. I'm far from the States for work and didn't bring my decks with me. Perhaps you can tell me your experience.

JWK
Elder Thing

Cyberium wrote:
3 years ago
JWK wrote:
3 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
3 years ago
Not yet, actually. I'm far from the States for work and didn't bring my decks with me. Perhaps you can tell me your experience.
While I can understand people getting kind of burnt out by him, since he's all over the place, I am personally pretty fond of the new Omnath. He was a disaster for standard (having Lotus Cobra in the same set more or less guaranteed that would be the case), but he's fine in EDH... strong, but by no means overwhelming. I have an Omn4th deck and have played against several versions.

What I personally like best about this version of Omnath is that landfall offers a deep enough pool of cards, with the game's long history offering even more options, that you can build him in a lot of different ways and still have an effective and interesting deck. I think it's pretty clear that the strongest versions flicker Omnath often to draw more cards and to allow him to provide his benefits to 4+ landfall triggers a turn, but you don't have to do that as a primary focus - or at all - to still have him be strong. You can focus on different color combinations, with blue offering things like Retreat to Coralhelm and Trade Routes, R/G offerning go wide and extra combat steps, white offering buffing and control elements, etc. My own deck focuses a bit more than most on white (Felidar Retreat, Admonition Angel and, of all things, Canyon Jerboa), along with token production and Moraug, Fury of Akoum.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

nobody

Post by nobody » 3 years ago

The problem with new omnath, is wotc designing it for commander without testing it for standard play.

JWK
Elder Thing

nobody wrote:
3 years ago
The problem with new omnath, is wotc designing it for commander without testing it for standard play.
I am guessing they tested it and decided to go with it anyhow because it would be exciting. Their new design philosophy is more about balancing things by banning as needed it is about designing balanced cards.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Lands.dec is an archetype that has gotten increasingly powerful over time. Is Omnath stronger than Lord Windgrace or Golos, Tireless Pilgrim? Hard to say. But the fact that there have been so many cards printed in the last few years have made the deck much stronger. I'll also call out that a lot of key players have been reprinted recently too - Lotus Cobra, Azusa, Lost but Seeking, Oracle of Mul Daya, and Crucible of Worlds all got reprints in the last few years, which made them significantly more accessible. Throw in powerful options like Tatyova, Benthic Druid, Omnath, Locus of Creation, Yarok, the Desecrated, and Ancient Greenwarden, and you can build a very powerful land-based deck out of just cards printed recently.

Cyberium

JWK wrote:
3 years ago

While I can understand people getting kind of burnt out by him, since he's all over the place, I am personally pretty fond of the new Omnath. He was a disaster for standard (having Lotus Cobra in the same set more or less guaranteed that would be the case), but he's fine in EDH... strong, but by no means overwhelming. I have an Omn4th deck and have played against several versions.
As noted in my original post, I'm less concerned about a landfall commander's power than the repetitiveness and overall lazy design on WotC's end. A trigger effect base on the game's most fundamental mechanic i.e. "land drop" is strong on its own, and quite exciting when it first appeared in 2009. The problem being that WotC is so blatant in pushing this mechanic that they dumbed down several legends to the point of simply letting you play more lands and draw cards while you're at it. It's on the same creativity scale as Boros-combat.

I was hoping WotC would print a landfall legend that creates party tokens, or one that could turn your PW into a creature indefinitely, something less obvious, less directive, something that would at least take people on new directions.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

I feel like that's less a problem with landfall, and more a problem with wotc's preference for "do the X thing, draw a card" design (i.e. Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain, Jori En, Ruin Diver, Kadena, Slinking Sorcerer, Kels, Fight Fixer, Korvold, Fae-Cursed King, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Nikara, Lair Scavenger, Niv-Mizzet, Parun, Omnath, Locus of the Roil, Sram, Senior Edificer, Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale, Tinybones, Trinket Thief, Tuvasa the Sunlit, etc.) It's more a pretty boring payoff than a boring setup, imo. I mean, there are tons of upkeep triggers, and those are even more basic than landfall, don't see people complaining about those.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

That phyrexian triniform surely looks sweet in Brudiclad.

Cyberium

So Liesa, Shroud of Dusk actually makes everyone loses 2 life for each spell they cast. An aggressive take on life gain commander.

JWK
Elder Thing

Cyberium wrote:
3 years ago
So Liesa, Shroud of Dusk actually makes everyone loses 2 life for each spell they cast. An aggressive take on life gain commander.
I am planning to slot her into Karlov, where she will tear away at others' life totals while mine stays ahead of the losses. She should be solid there.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

These new partners make me happy. They have more identity than the old ones, at the cost of narrower colour access. As such, you're encouraged to mix and match between the various partner pools. Do you build around a single C20 one, use a C16 one for colour access and go Temur Krark, for example? Or will Krark get a lovely complementary partner somewhere further down the spoiler season, incentivising you to stick to two (or one?!) colours? Exciting!

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

I wonder how often Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools will ult
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Krark, the Thumbless looks to be quite a powerful little Goblin.
What I like is that if you play cards that copy instants or sorcery then you can still look to get value even if you lose the flip. The card goes back into hand, which means that you can look to use it again later on. In fact if you have certain types of cards you want to actually lose the flip so that you can keep recasting the card for value through the course of the game; I'll wait for other partners to be spoiled, but I'm definitely going to brew around Krark, the Thumbless with the copy plan in losing the flip not so bad.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 3 years ago

Krark seems real fun in Kykar...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”