[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Monday, August 12th, 2019; Wildfire Eternal

I love making my opponent guess, so this card is, compare to Oracle of Bones, a lot more thought evoking.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago

The best I've made this guy work is in Alesha as a part of my buried alive piles. I'm getting around the whole four cmc 1/4 without haste thing and threatening to proc it the very turn I bring it back. Although, I don't have a bomby spell to cast off it, typically just a removal or draw spell.

Watching opponents agonize over the 4 life vs the unknown is a fascinating experiment, however. 😉

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
I have tried so hard to make it work, and getting to untap → attack → actually leverage it with a instant/sorcery in hand is so. %$#%$#%. hard.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

If you can make Wildfire Eternal work, it can do some crazy stuff... but it's about one mana too expensive to be viable for dirty tricks like that.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

It would be interesting to use this with Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive, though it'd need a ru commander at least, if not bur.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

You can potentially do something with Goblin Tunneler, I guess. It has 1 power. Then you can have fun with Apex of Power or Searing Wind or whatever. Not going to do anything in a really competitive format, but casually, yeah, it's cute. But you're mostly going to be playing cheap removal spells and such. But you can get in something extra, like Molten Rain or Melt Terrain over Stone Rain.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

There is quite a pile of options to give something like this haste from the command zone these days, the issue is building a deck that wants haste in the command zone but also big instants and sorceries worth cheating. Maybe, just maybe, there's a Maelstrom Wanderer deck out there that would do well with this.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

3drinks

Tuesday, August 13th, 2019; Nahiri, the Harbinger

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Modern playable!

Honestly, I like her in Commander, too. Versatile (if conditional) exile removal, a great effect for when you don't want to use removal, and a potentially backbreaking ult that's actually within reach... There's not much to dislike. I had largely forgotten about this card, but, now I'm wondering if I want to sleeve it up in Niv-Mizzet Reborn.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Pretty good card in RWx (non black) decks. It is a bit like Utter End, with some added utility.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

[quote=3drinks post_id=10881 time=1565700950 user_id=147]

so you just rate the card in terms of commander or can you go all directions

so in commander ive come to understand that planeswalkers gain little targets when they hit the battlefield, is this true? (in general lets not get graffic)

is a planeswalker better than a instant/sorcery or creature in commander?
I ask because in this case this is a 4cmc, and im curious the repercussion math. . .ie if this then not (what)

I think this card is cool
a +2 that is good, cant imagine how many times someone could look at their hand and wish to change one out. and although red and white don't have much graveyard synergy (less flashbacks and second handed costs) its still a good (what they call this type of draw, filter? anyway)

the -2 makes sense, terror costs 2cmc, disenchant costs 2cmc, I even think there is a 2cmc destroy target tapped creature , but mainly this is something that can be beneficial on the turn with priority. . .but why pay 4cmc for this effect, wait basically 6 (4cmc and the 2 on ability)

this last affect seems underwhelming for commander, mainly because the return to hand.

nahiri the character is cool, zendikar was cool, building the hedrons and ramming them into people (obnix and garruk) seems super whack (which I support). if they go back to mirrodin/new phyrexia I would like her to be there and explore the equip side of her flavor. her battle with Sorin is real, and the fact they have fought over two planes is impressive to say the least.

did I do this right?

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Your quote closing tag is in the wrong place.

I think nahiri is terrible in this incarnation. Blue 4cmc pws don't need to discard a card to draw, and dack gives you double draw, and discard after instead of before, and at a lower cost.

Her -2 is ok but only hitting tapped creatures and artifacts is a big limitation. It maybe kills something good but then it's super easy to play around. Nowhere near utter end's flexibility, and being instant speed is why that card is good.

Finally her ult - sure it's relatively easy, but it also sucks for most decks. What are most decks getting, an eldrazi or something? So you slightly wreck one player? I mean you could get a combo piece, but if you're playing fair I find it very underwhelming. It has little lasting impact. Not what I'm looking for in my ult, at all.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Nahiri, the Harbinger is alright, but not amazing. She may make the cut in a superfriends deck, but I'm not sure if she would be worth playing elsewhere.

+2 rummages. Not amazing, but can be good if you're running discard synergies or Squee, Goblin Nabob. This filtering is better than nothing, but better card advantage on planeswalkers exists.
-2 is targeted exile with restrictions. Hits most types of nonland permanents, but the tapped-only restriction for artifacts and creatures (plus the fact that you can only activate it as a sorcery) means there are many potential targets that won't actually be hit in practice, such as equipment, creatures with vigilance, and Seedborn Muse. As a result, this is pointed at enchantments most of the time, and 4 mana is a bit much for Erase. Can be better if you have ways to tap things down on demand.
-8 is.... interesting. The most common target in other formats, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn is banned in our format, and it only takes out one opponent anyway. Other options for cards to take out a single opponent do exist though, such as Blightsteel Colossus. Alternatively, you could tutor up a combo piece, such as Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker. I don't know if I have ever seen her ability to tutor up an artifact be used.

Overall, I would say that the main draw to run her - her fast yet powerful ultimate - is much weaker in EDH than it is in other formats. The second draw - her ability to exile things - is good, but a little situational. So: playable, but situational overall.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

The +2 is good in these colors. (Obviously other colors can do "draw a card a turn" better and get actual card advantage out of it.)

The -2 hits most types of nonland permanents; critically it hits enchantments and tapped creatures. It gets better if you have some sort of Icy Manipulator-esque cards; fortunately, white has plenty of things to tap opponents' permanents.

The -8 is okay, though I have to say it would be better if you had access to more mana.

I'll put her at 5/10: Good in the right deck, bad elsewhere.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

-8: search your library for a card named Knowledge Pool and put it onto the battlefield. Return it to your hand at the beginning of the next endstep.

That right there is an utterly backbreaking ultimate.

Sinis

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
-8: search your library for a card named Knowledge Pool and put it onto the battlefield. Return it to your hand at the beginning of the next endstep.
I think there might be better targets. Maybe Blightsteel to eliminate a player? Novablast Wurm to wipe the board?

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
I think there might be better targets. Maybe Blightsteel to eliminate a player? Novablast Wurm to wipe the board?
Not better to tstorm823, no. :grin:
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Consider this with me. When Knowledge Pool lands, suddenly the top 3 cards of each players library become available to everyone. The downsides of this are that usually the player playing Knowledge Pool has to pay for it and won't get first dibs at the good stuff and also if you cast good things into the Pool other people can get them later. Nahiri, the Harbinger's ult mitigates both downsides, you can have a Knowledge Pool enter on your main phase with all your mana untapped and it goes away before anyone else gets to untap on their side so you don't have to play scared of retribution. So you play any spells from your hand and get all the best cards out of the top of every deck without paying their mana cost.

Nahiri out Blightsteel Colossus is like activating Door to Nothingness on one player. Assuming you have some spells in hand, Nahiri out Knowledge Pool is like activating Golos, Tireless Pilgrim on every player's library. Which play sounds more likely to win in a 4-person game?

Sinis

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Which play sounds more likely to win in a 4-person game?
It's hard to say. You can also just flip land with KP.

But, I see your point.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
It's hard to say. You can also just flip land with KP.

But, I see your point.
Also, I may be a crazy person doing nonsense things. Verdict unclear.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I mean, they could also have instants to steal the stuff you wanted. And they aren't necessarily putting big bombs in there like a golos deck would.

More importantly, you're running knowledge pool on the off-chance you ult your terrible planeswalker.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

Wednesday, August 14th, 2019; Goblin Lore/Control of the Court

/
Last edited by 3drinks 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

If you're playing out of your GY, this card is great, right? I've had the Starter one forever (glad to see how expensive it is), but I've never been inclined to run it. Abilities based on drawing (Locust God, A's Archive) would be fans, too.

From the new set, Sevinne and Bone Miser should love it. Was just never my thing.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

3drinks

[mention]Serenade[/mention], the problem is the draw4/discard3 random is too high of a variance to be reliable, that's why you don't see them often. Yes, it typically is good in grave decks, but only if you just want to draw *something*. In modern it's role is to just brute force cards in the yard and then you cast a bunch of free hollowed ones assuming you didn't discard them.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
In modern it's role is to just brute force cards in the yard and then you cast a bunch of free hollowed ones assuming you didn't discard them.
I'll be honest, I find that whole deck infuriating, and I don't even play modern. Gamble-for-Hollow-One looks like such disappointing gameplay.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”