State of Legacy Thread

drmarkb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by drmarkb » 3 years ago

Yes, it is Jump Start allosaurus shepherd. And yes, everything is uncountable on your side if it is green including the dude itself. Oh, and it overruns, needlessly upgrading elves. Grrr.

Damn thing is a slam dunk. Poxy card might even slot into enchantress or such like.
Ruins chalice v elves. At least plague engineer exists...

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

first time for me to see it. Rather strong card, because it says "green spells" not just green creatures.

also a mana sink late game with dinosaur.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I've heard that card is super hard to find on MTGO right now and peopel are going crazy opening treasure chests just to try and open it.

It slots right into elves and probably a few other decks as well

drmarkb

100 Tix for Sheppard I hear. The EU appear to have indefinite delay on Jumpstart, potentially making this card sky rocket further!

drmarkb

Well, we fired the first UK Legacy event in months in paper. Standard was removed to accommodate us, and we sold out of our 24 slots.
I did an archetype report on my usual thread, of course, and it is very different to Mtgo.

motleyslayer

that's actually really good to hear, I was actually thinking of trying to fire a legacy event in my area as well or at least looking into interest for it. I kinda miss playing it in paper

I'll look into your post

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

So what are people thinking about Zendikar Rising for Legacy? Do you expect to see any card that you think will shake up a deck or two?
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

drmarkb

No, very much no. I think it is a welcome break from Karn, Oko, Tef, Uro et al.
I think there are a couple of nearly cards, but then again DnT always has nearly creatures that don't quite make it. You might see cards that make sideboard in fringe decks- black decks nerfing enchantments might make Pox players reserve a sideboard slot, but nothing will shake up existing decks too much.

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 3 years ago

I wanna see Myriad Construct be a thing.

motleyslayer

I've heard good things about Skyclave Apparition , especially for DnT. Also that black sorcery that can kill an enchantment seems good

drmarkb

So far Zendi not really impacting Legacy too much. Yes, there are tools- enchantment kills in black, but then again mono b is basically Curses, or Karn/Leyline, unless you want to old style pox. So not exactly format shaking. There are bits and Bob's rather than the tidal waves of the last two years.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

@motleyslayer

edit:

please disregard this post. I misread the apparition card.
Last edited by The Fluff 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

I've listened to a few legacy related podcasts that were saying that the apparition can deal with a lot of different problem cards, so taxes decks would be able to trim down on random answer cards.

I'm not a taxes player so I'm just relying on other people's opinions. So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

with smart play, the token would usually be worse for the opponent than the card that was exiled. I think the apparition has a lot of potential here.

motleyslayer

tokens can usually be quite manageable for the most part, especially in legacy. i also really like design space with cards like this where they don't get the card back

motleyslayer

I decided to use the all access granted by the mythic token to try RUG Delver. so far played just a few open play games and a round of a league but deck seems absurd. Not just because of Oko but because the deck has access to a bunch of absurd cards like Dreadhorde Arcanist (which has absurd hits in the format), Young Pyromancer and good answers. I really enjoy the deck though

drmarkb

It is a very strong deck. Arcanist snowballs as much, if not more than oko.

I tend to play a lot of decks that ignore oko, and especially ones with RIP/helm and Leyline/helm main, so I find arcanist/oko not as problematical as most, but those decks are niche, and overall will generally have weaknesses that stop them being taken up.

That is the issue with Legacy now- a lot of the time you are best up playing decks that ignore oko- decks like Doomsday and All spells other all in combo, and you often need non-damage based win cons in prison decks if you head off the beaten path. So if a deck is non oko/arcanist and blue, the odds are it is trying to win with RIP helm, Painter-grindstone, Echo/breach/karn-X or Oracle-Shift (which is basically merfolk only). Straight up U based control winning as miracles used to has no reason to not invest in the Oko/uro pile. Decks need to "go off" in some way to avoid the inevitable snowballing, so a damage based deck like elves still works because it can spank out of nowhere, but a deck like infect, nic fit, lands is just better off including oko.

RUG is a perfect storm of a relatively forgiving deck, one with no bad matches, where you always have a chance. Snowko and other blue soup piles are similar, but slightly less forgiving. There are good fast combo decks that are favoured against them, and there are plenty of niche decks like Enchantress that can do pretty well against them, but those niche decks are niche for a reason, they almost always are the sort of decks that have issues with fast combo decks or consistency.

motleyslayer

yeah RUG delver really seems to be the perfect storm because you have great counters, cantrips and Oko. plus arcanist recurs cantrips (and burn if need be).

I was listening to the latest episode of the Eternal Glory podcast and they were saying Oko and Arcanist need to be banned for the health of the format because they're just leagues above so much and so easy to run that there's no cost to running them. Their reasoning was also the format is basically just play Snowko or RUG delver or ruin your chances of doing well

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Okay im kinda hyped about the legacy changes. I think this actually makes me excited to play legacy for the first time in almost a year.

motleyslayer

I'm pretty hyped as well, cards that needed a ban a while ago finally got banned. My sneak and show creatures no longer need to be afraid of being elked

what decks benefit the most?

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 3 years ago

Sneak & Breach. Amen to that.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

so I haven't played legacy or paid atention in a while since I only play paper legacy. Has MH2 made any impacts on the format besides Murktide Regent and Dragon's Rage Channeler ?

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer and Prismatic Ending have been showing up. Endurance has been showing up in the snow miracle lists.

Grief has been showing up in Reanimator along with Serra's Emissary, Unmarked Grave and Archon of Cruelty.

Kaldra Compleat and Solitude have been showing up in D&T lists.

So there has been impact which is always nice to see a bit of shake-up

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

have reanimator shells been shifting away from the typical fatty packages then?

Kaldra Compleat seems like a great equipment for d and t

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Legacy”