The MCC Discussion Thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Extended the judge deadline.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round 2 is up and I should say since the first entry is one that Vehicles DO fit the challenge, because they are noncreatures that happen to be able to turn into creatures.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

If there were a double-faced card (transform or modal) that has one activated ability per side, would it fit the first subchallange?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
If there were a double-faced card (transform or modal) that has one activated ability per side, would it fit the first subchallange?
Yes, I would accept that.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MCC will need a host for next month. If you feel you're up to the job, go ahead and post here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to extend the judging deadline for round 2 by a day since it appears everyone needs it.

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 3 years ago

@void_nothing
Quick question regarding this MCC round's subchallenge:
Does a saxon genitive count as a word?
For example, does "Jace's Mindreading" count as two or three words?
I don't think it is, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

That's two words. Possessive forms of words are just single words. (Same as contractions, should you choose to use them. Something like "Won't Hold Back" is in fact exactly three words. Basically, an apostrophe does not a new word make.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The October MCC Judge Signups and Round 1 are now open.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 3 years ago

For main challenge: should a card have first strike or double strike by default, or can it have an ability to gain it?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Raptorchan wrote:
3 years ago
For main challenge: should a card have first strike or double strike by default, or can it have an ability to gain it?
By default.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

My judgments for September's round 3 will be in tomorrow. My apologies for the delay; it's a busy time.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

We still need one judge for October.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Main Challenge: Design a card with a triggered ability that triggers when creatures block
I wanted a little clarification on this:

• Does the ability need to specifically care only about blocking or can it be extended to other triggers — Does Clockwork Beetle fit the challenge?
• Does the ability need to be worded around the act of blocking (i.e. "When this creature blocks), or is can it trigger off of a creature becoming blocked — Does Acolyte of the Inferno fit the challenge?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Clockwork Beetle does count, because the ability triggers when it blocks even if it also does when it attacks.

Acolyte of the Inferno does not count, as worded. You need the verb "block" or "blocks" somewhere in there.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Subject16 I see you just posted your entry and it doesn't fit the challenge but it should with a nonfunctional rewording.

EDIT: It's compliant now

haywire

Post by haywire » 3 years ago

Does madness satisfy subchallenge 1? Since if you found a way to discard it during combat, you would be able to cast it?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

haywire wrote:
3 years ago
Does madness satisfy subchallenge 1? Since if you found a way to discard it during combat, you would be able to cast it?
Yes, that's just fine.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
(0/3) Balance – I think this card is very pushed and not balanced at all. Flying and menace are two very potent evasive abilities that make blocking even more awkward when put together. And block this you must, or else you start losing your creatures until you have nothing to block with at all. Even without bloodthirst, being able to steal (permanently) a 3-powered creature almost every combat is ridiculously good (and then of course, the creature you just stole can then crew it for next round). This is one of those cards that has a "must kill immediately" target on it, and the fact that it's a vehicle makes doing so very difficult
I think a 0/3 score here is quite unfair. I certainly agree that it's a strong card -- quite possibly even too strong -- but let's compare it to the card that I used as a benchmark: Skysovereign, Consul Flagship and do the pros/cons.

1. Skysovereign is automatically a 6/5, whereas the Carriage needs bloodthirst to be a 6/6.
2. Skysovereign is 0 colors, the Carriage is two.
3. Skysovereign has just flying, the Carriage adds menace.
4. Skysovereign triggers on ETB, Carriage does not (a huge difference in constructed)
5. Skysovereign triggers on attack, Carriage triggers on a successful hit.
6. Skysovereign bolts creatures or planeswalkers, Carriage steals them.
7. Skysovereign has Crew 3, Carriage has Crew 2.
8. Skysovereign is legendary, Carriage is not.

Does Carriage come out ahead in that comparison. Yeah, very possibly, although in my (rather biased) opinion, it's not 100% obvious that it does. But how many Skysovereigns were played in the top 8 of PT Kaladesh? One (and one in a sideboard). How many were played in the top 8 of PT Aether Revolt, after Copter was banned? Zero in main decks! And that was in a format where 6/8 were playing Mardu Vehicles. So it seems fair to say that Skysovereign was not even that close to being overpowered, since it saw pretty niche constructed play. And a card that is, at the very least, comparable to it, scores a 0/3 on balance? I don't think that's right.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

So, let's go over these points:
Wall of text
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
1. Skysovereign is automatically a 6/5, whereas the Carriage needs bloodthirst to be a 6/6.
Skysovereign is also a mythic rare and a legendary (where the average statline is generally a little higher than what nonlegendaries would allow). But really, it's not this card's P/T that make it unbalanced, although it definitely contributes.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
2. Skysovereign is 0 colors, the Carriage is two.
What Skysovereign does fits within the colorless slice of the pie. Your design could never, ever be a colorless card.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
3. Skysovereign has just flying, the Carriage adds menace.
I think you underestimate how relevant adding menace to flying is. Your opponent needs to have two creatures both with flying or reach to block it. Every time. If they only have one, that's too bad, and if that one potential blocker can be stolen, that's even stronger.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
4. Skysovereign triggers on ETB, Carriage does not (a huge difference in constructed)
Yes, the "immediate value" that is now demanded of constructed viable cards isn't here. But that doesn't stop this card from being a threat. It needs to be answered or it will take over the game by itself with no prior setup other than being able to crew it.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
5. Skysovereign triggers on attack, Carriage triggers on a successful hit.
See my point on menace+flying. If this attacks and isn't removed, it's near always guaranteed to hit, and if isn't, then it will the following round. You also get to keep crewing the Carriage with the creatures it's stolen, so it's almost self-sustaining as long as it connected, so one successful hit is pretty much all it needs.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
6. Skysovereign bolts creatures or planeswalkers, Carriage steals them.
Stealing creatures is definitely the stronger of the two effects here. Skysovereign's bolt can hit planeswalkers, but it can also not kill anything. By stealing a creature, you're basically killing their creature and creating a copy of that creature for yourself. If this had the same wording as Olivia Voldaren's effect I would have been much more at ease.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
7. Skysovereign has Crew 3, Carriage has Crew 2.
Again, this makes it stronger than the mythic vehicle.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
8. Skysovereign is legendary, Carriage is not.
Also an advantage to the Carriage. Imagine being able to swing with two of these?

In almost every way you showed, the Carriage is superior to Skysovereign. That's not a good thing. Maybe 0 points is a little harsh on my behalf, I'm willing to admit that. After all, you didn't give it the "immediate value" label that constructed playable cards 'need' to have nowadays. But at most I this scores a 1.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to persuade you that it wasn't too good, more that it didn't deserve 0/3, which, at least in my opinion, ought to be reserved for cards that are absolutely busted beyond all belief, typically because the designer didn't really bother to think through how the card would actually be played -- I don't think a card with a nonzero setup cost that is weak to instant-speed removal (creature and artifact) and bounce spells is even close to that category, even if it does take over the game if left unanswered. I appreciate your taking the time to address my points, and your willingness to adjust to a more reasonable value.

BaconCatBug
Pronoun: xe /xim

Post by BaconCatBug » 3 years ago

I know when you assume it makes an ass out of you and me, but can I assume that Ninjutsu alone doesn't meet the subchallenge since it's not cast?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

BaconCatBug wrote:
3 years ago
I know when you assume it makes an ass out of you and me, but can I assume that Ninjutsu alone doesn't meet the subchallenge since it's not cast?
You're correct, it does not. It meets the spirit for sure but not the letter, and the letter is what counts. It IS only a subchallenge though.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And yes, I DO still have to do my own September final judgment - things have obviously been busy around here but I still need to close out last month, so that'll be done tomorrow.

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 3 years ago

Fair play to slimytrout and RaikouRider, your cards were pretty amazing too.

But ANYWAYS, it's ever since we still were on MTGSalvation that I've wanted to win an MCC, I've come close to it a couple of times, but finally I did! My first win! Thank you to all the judges and everyone who participated last month :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”