Many MTG Player's ask: Is the reserved list a load of bull?

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago

The irony of course being that the unwillingness lies with the leadership of WotC (i.e. Corporate) rather than with the employees actually making the game.
Corporate won't be willing to change it unless there's a really good reason to, i.e they can make a lot of money off it. They'd rather just push newer formats such as standard/historic/maybe pioneer. I'd imagine Arena sales probably matter too and it would be a lot of work to get 25+ years of sets into Arena at this point
That's the stupid thing though, if they got rid of the reserved list, sorry, "The Official Reprint Policy", tomorrow, they could release a masters set a year from now containing the OG duals (in the new frame with new art obviously), sell the boosters for 15$ each, and it would literally be the best selling masters set they'd have printed so far. They'd be figuratively be printing money at that point. They could then dole out other highly sought after cards over years and years, and always have a guaranteed moneymaker on the table. The whole adherence to and continued existence of the reprint policy is incredibly stupid both from a longterm game health perspective and an economic perspective.
The thing is though, we constantly get the line 'not every set is for every player'. Well, whales don't want standard printing of chase rares, they want collectibles. Whereas I will take what I can get, because I'm poor, relatively speaking. But hold on - I don't get access to them at all, because the product is outpriced for me. It just seems like the company doesn't really have a good grasp on how to present these products in a way that targets the people they want it to.

Perfect example is Double Masters - I've bought singles, but for something like Force of Will I can't afford to do that, so I go wanting. Whales probably already have FoW's, and they're likely only interested in borderless, foil, extended art, alt art, etc. So why not do a VIP package that only drops these, and a pauper edition that doesn't have foils or alt arts at all that normal folk can actually afford? That product really had me head-scratching.

Honestly, I assume if the RL were to be abolished, this is the only way we'd see reprints come through - premium availability, premium cost, the same old 'not for everyone' line. Kinda sucks.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago

Corporate won't be willing to change it unless there's a really good reason to, i.e they can make a lot of money off it. They'd rather just push newer formats such as standard/historic/maybe pioneer. I'd imagine Arena sales probably matter too and it would be a lot of work to get 25+ years of sets into Arena at this point
That's the stupid thing though, if they got rid of the reserved list, sorry, "The Official Reprint Policy", tomorrow, they could release a masters set a year from now containing the OG duals (in the new frame with new art obviously), sell the boosters for 15$ each, and it would literally be the best selling masters set they'd have printed so far. They'd be figuratively be printing money at that point. They could then dole out other highly sought after cards over years and years, and always have a guaranteed moneymaker on the table. The whole adherence to and continued existence of the reprint policy is incredibly stupid both from a longterm game health perspective and an economic perspective.
They could also give dual lands similar treatment to they gave Tarmogoyf , they could reprint them every masters set until eventually their price tanks (possibly even to the same price as shocks) and people could collect them the same way they currently collect shocks. Not to mention how much they could tank prices of other staples such as Lion's Eye Diamond , Mox Diamond etc
I wouldn't say that a modern card that is reprinted regularly which sells for literally 38+ dollars each has a tanked price. Now, if they sold for 3 dollars each, you could have said their price has tanked. A much better example, which was provided in the video linked in the first post of the thread, was Scroll Rack, the original printing of which has slowly increased to 70+ bucks, while the two reprints are 100 and 200 dollars respectively. if anything, the overall value has actually gone up because of the reprints.

And the professor had a very good argument in the video that no one has been able to refute with any level of conviction: For many people, if they have copies of a reprint in certain formats, they are willing to actively try and get older printings of the card to pimp out their decks.

Just to put things into proper perspective, to offer an example of a recent reprint of a desirable card that hadn't been printed since its original printing, Oubliette, while the reprint is an incredibly cheap card, the original is still fairly expensive, and after an initial hit after the reprint, the price has started to trend upwards again, with the occasional price spike pushing it past the price the card had prior to the reprint. If the trend holds, and there is no indication that it won't, the price of the original printing will be back to pre-reprint levels before the end of the year.

The argument that reprinting high value cards from the early days of MTG will devalue the cards on the secondary market over time simply does not hold water.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I think that the argument of reprints killing prices of cards has largely been proven pretty false, minus a few cards that were artificially high due to one of printings and sudden high demand.

Reprints of cards such as dual lands can give cheaper printings, with the newer versions but the older versions will still have a bit of value because of being OG printings. They probably just won't be as much.

I have a buddy that will go for the oldest printings of a card that it's available in foil of, so there will still be those types of people. I'd imagine some of these older cards being reprinted in foil will be awfully expensive

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

It probably won't happen until MaRo retires. He is the one that proudly championed the reserve list when Hasbro bought Magic, in order to maintain the integrity of the company bla bla bla. If I remember correctly, their compromise was to only remove the commons from the reserve list.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
This is the problem with every "abolish the reserved list" that isn't outright stupid. Yes, they could abolish the reserved list, put duals in a set, sell it at $15 and it would sell like crazy. Alternatively, they could not abolish the reserved list, put other cards in a set, sell it at $15 and it would sell like crazy. Oh wait, they have done exactly that already and plan to do that for the foreseeable future.

Customers have a limited amount of income. While every business is doing its best to get all of that income there are very real limits on how much a company can get. It easy to claim they could reprint dual in a masters set and sell it like crazy not because people are speculating about the current demand for duals but because we watch Wizards do this fairly often. The question is, "Is it actually possible to get more money if they use duals as opposed to other cards" and the likely answer is "probably not". Its also highly possible that by using duals as bait they draw away income from other products released in the same timeframe causing them to fail. If any of those products happen to be a standard release it could mess up their entire business model. Moderate risk for essentially no gain is a horrible business strategy.

As I said in my first post. Wizards isn't hurting for valuable reprints so they have no interest in getting rid of the list. Also the list works as a psuedo shield they can use to deflect complaints about not reprinting these specific highly sought after cards for decades longer until they are finally out of highly desired reprints.
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
It probably won't happen until MaRo retires. He is the one that proudly championed the reserve list when Hasbro bought Magic, in order to maintain the integrity of the company bla bla bla. If I remember correctly, their compromise was to only remove the commons from the reserve list.
Do you have any source to back up Maro championing the reserved list? I've only ever seen him decry it. I'm not saying I won't believe you, I would understand if he changed his position but I don't think I've ever seen him say anything positive about the list.
Last edited by user_938036 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
This is the problem with every "abolish the reserved list" that isn't outright stupid. Yes, they could abolish the reserved list, put duals in a set, sell it at $15 and it would sell like crazy. Alternatively, they could not abolish the reserved list, put other cards in a set, sell it at $15 and it would sell like crazy. Oh wait, they have done exactly that already and plan to do that for the foreseeable future.

Customers have a limited amount of income. While every business is doing its best to get all of that income there are very real limits on how much a company can get. It easy to claim they could reprint dual in a masters set and sell it like crazy not because people are speculating about the current demand for duals but because we watch Wizards do this fairly often. The question is, "Is it actually possible to get more money if they use duals as opposed to other cards" and the likely answer is "probably not". Its also highly possible that by using duals as bait they draw away income from other products released in the same timeframe causing them to fail. If any of those products happen to be a standard release it could mess up their entire business model. Moderate risk for essentially no gain is a horrible business strategy.
As I said in my first post. Wizards isn't hurting for valuable reprints so they have no interest in getting rid of the list. Also the list works as a psuedo shield they can use to deflect complaints about not reprinting these specific highly sought after cards for decades longer until they are finally out of highly desired reprints.
AS much as I'd like to see the RL gone, this is pretty much why it'll probably never go away. They can already make a lot of money of masters/horizons type sets without getting rid of the RL to put RL cards in a reprint set. So there's no reason to get rid of it until they do what you said and run out of meaningful reprints.

so I guess that's just the reality we'll deal with.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Do you have any source to back up Maro championing the reserved list? I've only ever seen him decry it. I'm not saying I won't believe you, I would understand if he changed his position but I don't think I've ever seen him say anything positive about the list.
Now that you mention it, I do not, but I know it's true because anonymous sources said so on the internet about 20 years ago. But seriously, now you got me wondering, too. It's just been so long I wouldn't know where to begin to look.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

user_938036

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Now that you mention it, I do not, but I know it's true because anonymous sources said so on the internet about 20 years ago. But seriously, now you got me wondering, too. It's just been so long I wouldn't know where to begin to look.
Its entirely possible he did once believe it was needed but currently maro is one of the most well known detractors of the reserved list. So saying we have to wait for him to retire seems silly.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
Its entirely possible he did once believe it was needed but currently maro is one of the most well known detractors of the reserved list. So saying we have to wait for him to retire seems silly.
He has never once been a champion of it, it was created before he joined WotC and has been against it since he got hired. He hasn't wanted to discuss it for several years now because he's been told not to by corporate, but it is well known that the majority of people working at WotC, including both Maro and Gavin, want it gone.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago

The thing is though, we constantly get the line 'not every set is for every player'. Well, whales don't want standard printing of chase rares, they want collectibles. Whereas I will take what I can get, because I'm poor, relatively speaking. But hold on - I don't get access to them at all, because the product is outpriced for me. It just seems like the company doesn't really have a good grasp on how to present these products in a way that targets the people they want it to.

Perfect example is Double Masters - I've bought singles, but for something like Force of Will I can't afford to do that, so I go wanting. Whales probably already have FoW's, and they're likely only interested in borderless, foil, extended art, alt art, etc. So why not do a VIP package that only drops these, and a pauper edition that doesn't have foils or alt arts at all that normal folk can actually afford? That product really had me head-scratching.

Honestly, I assume if the RL were to be abolished, this is the only way we'd see reprints come through - premium availability, premium cost, the same old 'not for everyone' line. Kinda sucks.
Pretty much this. Reserve List reprints would most likely get the Expedition / Invention / Lottery Card treatment in the same vein as Fetchlands even though they aren't on the Reserve List. You know why? Because Wizards of the Coast wants to continue releasing max rare printings of them instead of being widely available in Commander Legends or Modern Horizons 2 which is a shame because it should contain all 10 Fetchlands not just the Enemy versions. Those sets aren't even Standard legal yet they felt the need to always stick them in anything associated with Zendikar because "Lands Matter".

If Wizards of the Coast are willing to reprint Ravnica Shocklands into oblivion then why can't they do the same with the Zendikar and Khans of Tarkir Fetchlands? They aren't losing any money on the Secondary Market so what's holding them back? What is it about the Fetchlands that Wizards of the Coast doesn't want to be more accessible to players not just collectors? As long as they don't reprint them in Standard legal sets where they become Standard legal then they should be fine. Is Wizards of the Coast secretly adding all 10 Fetchlands onto the Reserve List? Is that why there's so much hesitation from them right now?
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
I'm guessing your the only source.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Magiqmaster

Post by Magiqmaster » 3 years ago

Instead of removing the entire reserved list, they could easily adapt it by allowing several cards to be reprinted, that make no sense being reserved (the majority in my opinion). I don't think that Deranged Hermit, for example, would cause an uproar if it were made available once again (BTW why is it worth so much all of a sudden....)!

But hey, Wotc has promised they wouldn't touch the RL so I guess that they will stick by that promise. I can just imagine the avalanche of complaints from the community, if they ever changed their mind!

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

It's a nasty catch 22. If they go back on their word now they betray their oldest, most heavily invested group: vintage players. It sucks because even though I don't play in any affected format, I don't want those people screwed over either.

I am at a loss for a solution that is functional without betraying their word. Can we make functional reprints that are BETTER versions of those garbage RL or does that violate the policy?
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Don't mind if they remove the reserve list.

there are some cards there that I want to get for cheaper.

but maybe make the reprints on a masters set only, so the originals don't lose too much value?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 3 years ago

Short answer? Yes.
Little longer answer? Just see the video. I agree pretty much 100% with it.

Just to add another anecdotal evidence that older or hard to obtain cards do not lose their value when a reprint happens, just look no further than the Judge Promo Avacyn.
Double masters not only reprinted it BUT also printed a full-art version.
Yet, the judge promo kept its value (probably because it is the only one with that specific art).

Even if WotC decided to reprint cards from the reserved list, as long as they are doing it with new art, new border or promo editions, I doubt the older version will lose any of their value... Generally inflated by speculators, rather than demand.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
It's a nasty catch 22. If they go back on their word now they betray their oldest, most heavily invested group: vintage players. It sucks because even though I don't play in any affected format, I don't want those people screwed over either.

I am at a loss for a solution that is functional without betraying their word. Can we make functional reprints that are BETTER versions of those garbage RL or does that violate the policy?
Thing is those aren't the cards that people want. Like the Prof says, bare minimum the duals are the most craved. It'd be nice to get access to more, but these are definitely top of my wishlist and I think most of the have nots would agree.

In terms of betraying vintage players though...I mean they're currently on a sinking ship. Opening up the possibility of more players in the pool means their format survives. Same goes for legacy. As it is, with entry to the format being based on financial fluidity or being among the first group of players into the game, the reserved list is doing nothing but slowly suffocating both formats. So I think in that respect it's more of a lifeline than a betrayal, and it's been proven that reprinting will do absolutely nothing to affect the investment of these players - if anything their RL original printings will float or rise in value.

Personally I'd be happy with functionally similar reprints, but for duals I guess a shock is as close as we can get anyway. What I don't want to see is these come through from the RL solely as box toppers or expedition style releases. They're already collectors items so reprinting them in that fashion makes them no less proprietary and solves nothing. It's a zero sum argument either way though, honestly can't see this changing any time soon.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

user_938036

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
A quick explanation of what is and isn't allowed. Thunder Spirit is on the resevered list.

They can't print

Aven dualist 1WW
creature - bird solider
Flying, First strike
2/2

They can print

Thunderer Spirit WW
creature - Elemental Spirit
Flying, First strike
2/2

They can even print

Totally not Thunder Spirit 1WW
Flying, First strike
2/1

They could even print

Red Thunder Spirit 1RR
Flying First strike
2/2

They can print functionally better cards, functionally worse cards and colorshifted cards. There are innumerable ways around the list but for the cards people want they have no interest in going around the list and for the cards they want they want specifically what's on the list ie: a 2/2 flying first strike creature for 1ww anything weaker or stronger doesn't cut it.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
They can print functionally better cards, functionally worse cards and colorshifted cards. There are innumerable ways around the list but for the cards people want they have no interest in going around the list and for the cards they want they want specifically what's on the list ie: a 2/2 flying first strike creature for anything weaker or stronger doesn't cut it.
They printed a partially colorshifted version of Thunder Spirit in the days of the Reserved List was still being added to in the form of Sky Spirit in Tempest. Only difference besides the name is that one of the white mana symbols was exchanged for a blue one.

robertleva

I can't see a fair way around the problem. If they reprinted ABU duals with a different name in a masters product, that wouldn't fix anything. Sure newcommers could get the nice lands, but the true ABU dual owners just pick up the new cards and use both. The only way is to break the RL rule and just reprint the damn things. But then you will have 1 or 2 people crying bloody murder. The reversal might even be legally actionable if you are an investor with a lawyer.

I just dont see it happening. The RL formats are dying or dead because of the RL and there's no removing it.
Robert Leva

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
I can't see a fair way around the problem. If they reprinted ABU duals with a different name in a masters product, that wouldn't fix anything. Sure newcommers could get the nice lands, but the true ABU dual owners just pick up the new cards and use both. The only way is to break the RL rule and just reprint the damn things. But then you will have 1 or 2 people crying bloody murder. The reversal might even be legally actionable if you are an investor with a lawyer.

I just dont see it happening. The RL formats are dying or dead because of the RL and there's no removing it.
Those one or two people can cry all they %$#%$#% want because they legally wouldn't have a leg to stand on due to prior art. The reserved list has been changed multiple times already without people crying foul. So if the complainers decided to sue WotC over getting rid of it, they would lose in court and WotC would win. And that is only if WotC decided to get rid of it, and put cards from it in the very next set.

If, as I pointed out earlier in the thread, WotC decided to get rid of it tomorrow, made an official press release to the effect of "The Official Reprint Policy is hereby null and void, effective immediately", and then waited to reprint cards from it until an entire design cycle (around a year for nonstandard sets) had passed, it wouldn't even go as far as a trial before getting thrown out of court.

The complainers literally do not have any legal recourse if WotC decided to get rid of or change "The Official Reprint Policy", because no one took legal action the other times they changed it. The Professor even points this out in his video.

robertleva

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago

Those one or two people can cry all they %$#%$#% want because they legally wouldn't have a leg to stand on due to prior art. The reserved list has been changed multiple times already without people crying foul. So if the complainers decided to sue WotC over getting rid of it, they would lose in court and WotC would win. And that is only if WotC decided to get rid of it, and put cards from it in the very next set.

If, as I pointed out earlier in the thread, WotC decided to get rid of it tomorrow, made an official press release to the effect of "The Official Reprint Policy is hereby null and void, effective immediately", and then waited to reprint cards from it until an entire design cycle (around a year for nonstandard sets) had passed, it wouldn't even go as far as a trial before getting thrown out of court.

The complainers literally do not have any legal recourse if WotC decided to get rid of or change "The Official Reprint Policy", because no one took legal action the other times they changed it. The Professor even points this out in his video.
If this is all accurate then the only thing really in the way of WOTC changing the rule is WOTC themselves. So you can basically count on it never changing or not until the current leadership gets pushed / retires.
Robert Leva

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago

If this is all accurate then the only thing really in the way of WOTC changing the rule is WOTC themselves. So you can basically count on it never changing or not until the current leadership gets pushed / retires.
Or until public pressure gets large enough, this is why things like the professors video and discussions such as this are so important, it shows WotC that there is mounting public opinion for them to get rid of it, and if the pressure gets high enough, well....

robertleva

Not a bad idea, may as well use their cowardice to our advantage. Caving to public pressure is one thing WOTC is good at, but you would have to have the social mob type of groups leading that pressure. Unless we can come up with some sort of "the RL is racist because it oppresses XYZ groups" type of argument I don't see them getting scared enough to make the right call.

If we can however make them feel like the RL is somehow giving them bad "social mob optics" you may actually have a lever on which to tug.

EDIT: I realize using the social mob (which I hate) as a tool is hypocritical. It doesn't change what I wrote but I will think about it.
Robert Leva

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Social justice isn't needed to create the pressure needed to remove the "official reprint policy". All we need is enough videos by different authors and enough discussion threads on the subject on a variety of platforms.

The issue isn't convincing the designers of the game, but corporate. The designers are already on the side of it getting removed, and if corporate realizes that it is basically risk free and the majority of players are for its abolishment, it will get removed.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Time to make a change.org petition.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”