[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Leonin Shikari

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
Wow, I haven't seen a card this bad in a long time, and I've justified some pretty narrowly useful cards over the years.
Tbh, this could be really useful in my Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle list. It reanimates something else, qualifies to be reanimated and works as a discard outlet - which is pretty rare in mono-white.

I was able to make Lesser Masticore work in that deck, so there's plenty of room for cr*p in there.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Can't honestly say I can see a decent use for this card. It's not every day you need an instant speed discard outlet though, so there's bound to be somewhere it fits, even if it fits like a soggy gumboot instead of a designer loafer.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

(Turns out you can't access the random card fetch on Gatherer while on mobile. Good to know -_- )

July 8th, 2019 Scornful AEther-Lich

Is it just me, or are we batting a thousand on these random cards this go around? I can't find any good or even decent use for a four cmc 2/4 with a 2 cost activated ability that puts it into three colours. Even if it were legendary, it would just be a far worse Sydri.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

It's wild to me that they were designing cards like this like a year or so before deciding Fear was a bad mechanic. Even just looking at this card, this set had colored artifact creatures and non-black creatures with black mana costs in the text box. This card is little to speak of as far as usefullness and I think you'd have to play some kind "cards that reference Tezzeret" theme deck to justify this in EDH, but I'm pretty sure this card is like a 47 on the storm scale.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

3drinks

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
It's wild to me that they were designing cards like this like a year or so before deciding Fear was a bad mechanic. Even just looking at this card, this set had colored artifact creatures and non-black creatures with black mana costs in the text box. This card is little to speak of as far as usefullness and I think you'd have to play some kind "cards that reference Tezzeret" theme deck to justify this in EDH, but I'm pretty sure this card is like a 47 on the storm scale.
In Alara, they needed to sell Etherium and what it was, what Esper was, so, from a flavour point I get the card itself to the plane. It was a weird set (coloured artifacts are a mixed bag and this was the first time), like, what benefits do you really get by taking the card type any deck can use, and putting it in a colour restricted bubble? What if the Mirari was remade today, would it have a U symbol on it? Because that would suck.

Adding colours is a restriction, not a feature, and it almost seems like WotC views it as the opposite.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

I like this card a lot in theory, which has always made it disappointing that it's so bad. Vigilance and evasion is a great combo of abilities but the mediocre body/CMC ratio, very specific color identity, and upkeep cost to actually take advantage of the abilities has always kept it out of my decks.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

I mean it is a zombie, a wizard and an artifact. I'm sure there's got to be some random synergy because of those things somehow. Oh... I just glanced around there's 20+ zombie wizards. Morophon, the boundless Zombie Wizard tribal?

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

I can’t see a use for it. It’s cute, but it’s an also-ran. I even have a deck in these colours that could use its tribal tendencies and this doesn’t get a look in. It’s flavorful for Esper, but just not good.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

July 9th, 2019; Collector Ouphe

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

The good thing about "Magus of something useful" being in green is all the ways green has to protect important creatures.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

3drinks

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
The good thing about "Magus of something useful" being in green is all the ways green has to protect important creatures.
He's not a Mag....

o i c wut u did thar..... :P :thinking:

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Btw 3drinks Scryfall has a random card option that works on mobile.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Artifacts are good/people ramp with mana rocks in this format → Collector Ouphe is a good card in this format.

It helps that green can easily play with few to no artifact activated abilities. I run Null Rod and Stony Silence periodically and they usually over perform, though they occasionally draw more attention than I would like. Being easier to remove might almost be a benefit sometimes, where Ouphe works primarily as an early game roadblock to slow development rather than more of a lock piece.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Morganelefay

Post by Morganelefay » 4 years ago

It's a good card for any hatebear deck, though he's quite vulnerable to removal unlike his artifact/enchantment counterparts. Narrow in the decks it can go in but pretty strong otherwise.
EDH Decks:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis - Arise, Lord Hogaak.
Grumgully, the Generous - The wonderful world of Ferngully.
Prime Speaker Zegana - Draw Cards Tribal.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal & Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Imaginary Superfriends.
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Taxes, Denial and Fatties.
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - Dinos and Eldrazis, oh my.
Ayara, First of Locthwain - March of the Black Queen.
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh - Chandra Tribal.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Curious Contraptions

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

I haven't played it but its low CMC and P/T makes it easy to recurr. I might get a copy and try it in Asmira.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

I read the flavor text as "Some people just want to watch the world burn" which would be far more appropriate line for Jaya than Jhoira.

3drinks

July 10th, 2019; Fireball

The OG. What's not to love? Can kill any number of creatures and players given an arbitrarily large amount of mana. I've sleeved my textless version of this on more than one occasion even.
Last edited by 3drinks 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Whoops. Forgot scryfall's images are way larger than Gatherer's -_-

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Bookstooge

Post by Bookstooge » 4 years ago

I try to play a couple of burn cards in any of my red or red'ish edh decks, just in case. Never know when 6 damage will be enough to finish someone off :-)

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Whoops. Forgot scryfall's images are way larger than Gatherer's -_-
Seems good to me; I like my fireballs BIG. (Even if only because they're flying at my face; I'll have a red deck one day).
Bookstooge wrote:
4 years ago
I try to play a couple of burn cards in any of my red or red'ish edh decks, just in case. Never know when 6 damage will be enough to finish someone off :-)
This is very true. There are quite a few games where I've managed to stabilise at 3, 2 or even 1 life through board wipes or mass bounce effects protecting me from creatures, but a single burn spell would have been enough to finish me off. My playgroup still brings up the time I was trying my hardest to stabilise at 4 life with my Roon (now Derevi) deck, only to have one of them Jeskai Charm me at the last moment. (The next week, I borrowed his deck and got to do the same to him with a Lightning Helix|Ravnica: City of Guilds).
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

JqlGirl
Arbitrix of the CAG
Pronoun: she / her

Post by JqlGirl » 4 years ago

Sadly, I think Fireball is grossly outclassed by better cards in this day and age. Comet Storm is pretty much strictly better in every way, even being an instant. While I run a good number of red X spells in my Ashling list, Fireball isn't even in the running for consideration despite the nostalgia factor.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

I really have a thing for rX-spells. Certainly not all of them, but Comet Storm, Jaya's Immolating Inferno and even Fall of the Titans are legit finishers, once you reach enough mana or put enough pressure on your opponents already.
Exsanguinate, Torment of Hailfire and Debt to the Deathless are superior if you aren't able to close out the game yet, but Mana Geyser helps at that often enough.

As mentioned, some of the charms are amazing at burning out a few last hp as well. I've seen people get pushed over the edge by Boros Charm or go from (above) starting life to lethal with Rakdos Charm numerous times.

3drinks

JqlGirl wrote:
4 years ago
Sadly, I think Fireball is grossly outclassed by better cards in this day and age. Comet Storm is pretty much strictly better in every way, even being an instant. While I run a good number of red X spells in my Ashling list, Fireball isn't even in the running for consideration despite the nostalgia factor.

There's certainly a few choices I'd need to justify first, such as Aurelia's Fury or Molten Disaster, yes. Possibly Banefire but I don't think that is such an open-and-shut case in this context. Perhaps I'm just overly nostalgic for Fireball with my forays into white border deck building.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
There's certainly a few choices I'd need to justify first, such as Aurelia's Fury or Molten Disaster, yes. Possibly Banefire but I don't think that is such an open-and-shut case in this context. Perhaps I'm just overly nostalgic for Fireball with my forays into white border deck building.
I think you're on the right track. If you're trying to kill just one thing, Fireball is tied with some things for the most efficient X damage removal spell. But none of those things target multiple targets. And the other X damage spells that target multiple things can't kill an Oracle of Mul Daya for 3 mana. Being XR costed, capable of hitting any target, and able to target multiple things at once, Fireball is tied for both the best of the X spells at killing single targets for the least mana and the best of the X spells for killing the whole table with infinite mana. Banefire can't kill a whole table on its own. Comet Storm is better mid-game if you want to kill multiple things or at instant speed, but I honestly don't think that's really as important a use case as early spot removal and late win condition, and most of the things you want to early spot remove you probably don't want to let the player untap with them anyway.

Depending on the deck, I guess I might think Fireball or Comet Storm is the better of the two. The only red damage spell I put firmly above Fireball is Earthquake.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

A classic, but outclassed. Still runnable for me for nostalgia though.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”