[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Bookstooge wrote:
4 years ago
Is there any sort of thread dedicated to speculation or rumors like back on Salvation? I'm always hungry for whatever is coming down the pipeline.
There's also the Previews forum.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Hi, I'm Darren Habib and I'm an old school player having been introduced to this "new card game" back in 1994.

I very quickly became a Johnny combo player, and if infinite could be done, I'd figure it out.

I meet my best friends through Magic and it's still one thing that we can all get enthused about.

Magic has come in and out of my life due to shifts in..well life..but it's always been the game that I can always fall back on to stimulate me.

I came from more or less a Vintage background due to having collected card for the last 25 years, but when my friends started making commander decks, I instantly knew it was going to be the way to go.

In this respect I like creating content for commander as I just want more people to get involved in it.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Hi, I'm Hemlock and I live in Buenos Aires with my wife and my two sons. I'm a Literature teacher and I'm very fond of almost any kind of game. I play Magic since Mirage and I've recently replaced my old battered commander Asmira, which I got in the very first pack or Magic I bought. Asmira is my pet deck and I usually keep around 10 decks ready to play at any time. I always have some kind of stupid commandee project (Currently working on a Tuvasa build). I introduced my son to mtg but he has strayed from the path and grew into a Standard Spike :laugh:
I've been very active in Card Creation, not so much in the other forums, but I also play pauper and limited, sometimes I even manage to build some standard deck.

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 4 years ago

Hallo, I'm Andreas. Living in the lovely, second largest city in Denmark, Aarhus with my girlfriend and two kids, got one of both. I started playing when I was a kid around the time Fallen Empires was a thing... Assembled a merfolk deck, but never got to play with it much before selling off most of my cards (luckily, I didn't have anything that good). Got back to the game around 2000-ish, when I found a pile of cards at a fleemarket and slowly started building kitchen table decks with some friends. Can't remember exactly when I persuaded my friends to start making EDH decks, but they finally did make some decks, we never looked back and it's almost the only format I care about.

I'm a bohemien style person, with no regular job (though I'd love one for a more steady income to provide the family), besides my own personal publishing house that publish high quality science fiction literature. Recently got Roadside Picnic translated into danish for the first time.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
I can't remember if we have had this conversation before but where in Maryland are you?
Not the person you were trying to talk to, but at one point you made a comment about playing in Towson (I think) and I briefly considered rolling downhill to try and guess which person was you.

Side note: I subscribed to this thread and got a notification that people had posted here, and when I clicked it, it navigated to the first post I hadn't read instead of the most recent post, and that's wonderful. I'm so excited to be able to miss 24 hours of spoilers and not have to navigate back 5 pages on New Card Discussion trying to figure out what comment I saw last.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

I had to make the first post here! I hope this site brings good luck to Cryo and we can have recurring nightmare unbanned.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Hey all, I'm RxPhantom. Real name is Aaron. I live in Maryland with my wife, daughter, and dog. I've been playing since Ice Age, but I've taken long breaks from the game. I got back into MtG in 2011, just in time for New Phyrexia and M12. I discovered EDH/Commander soon after, and it's largely responsible for my enduring love of the game.

The screen name comes from my being a pharmacist, and a pharmacy technician before that. I used the generic 'Phantom' tag years ago playing the first Halo with friends on the original X-Box. Since that was obviously taken when X-Box Live came around, I put the 'Rx' in front of it, and it's stuck ever since.

Another fun fact: I wouldn't have become a pharmacist without having played Metal Gear Solid.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here.
I can't remember if we have had this conversation before but where in Maryland are you?
I'm in Calvert County, but my closest LGS really sucks, so whenever I can, I play at Third Eye in Annapolis. I was just finishing up at Towson when I rediscovered Magic.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Hey folks, I'm a Polish expat residing in the UK, doing bioinformatics academic stuff in Cambridge. My first MTG memory dates back to 2002 or so, I watched with baited breath as two kids duked out mono-green decks culled from random debris at the lunch table. Just as the 20-power Lhurgoyf finally swung into the Stone-Tongue Basilisk, it was time to head back to class. I flirted with the game once every few years until I got into EDH in 2014. The resulting playgroup carried me through a grim as hell stretch of my PhD, and the combination of camaraderie and gameplay hooked me for good.

I'm a weird combination of Johnny and Spike - I'm extremely picky about what commanders I build, but once something strikes my fancy I'll fiddle with the 99 for years and years, trying to land the best possible deck that's still explicitly designed around the legend of choice.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Since we're doing locations as well, I'm in Essex, England.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

FWIW, I just saw mtgsally go into read only mode, so I think I'm pretty well done there. sniff the 8k posts I had accumulated over the years. Lol, if that were a relevant metric.

Back to this thread, I doubt there is anyone here on my end of the world, and less so on my nocturnal habits, but I'm Pacific-Northwest. There was one from sally that had the same town as me, but I haven't seen them come over here yet.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Back to this thread, I doubt there is anyone here on my end of the world, and less so on my nocturnal habits, but I'm Pacific-Northwest. There was one from sally that had the same town as me, but I haven't seen them come over here yet.
I'm in the same time zone, so closer than the multitude of European posters. Other corner of the country from you though.

Just finished drafting my MH1 box. Highlight of that was definitely the foil Urza, Lord High Artificer.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Dragonlover

How's everyone's prerelease weekend going? So far I've opened none of the cards I'm after for Commander decks, but I've got two more events today and a bunch of prize packs still to open.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

3drinks

I miss when I could go to prereleases. Overnight shifts suck.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
How's everyone's prerelease weekend going? So far I've opened none of the cards I'm after for Commander decks, but I've got two more events today and a bunch of prize packs still to open.

Dragonlover
I've learned long ago that my money is better invested in buying singles, and that I will manage to open the absolute worst packs Wizards can make.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Dragonlover

Yeah that's fair. I do it for the weekend out as much as anything else.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

3drinks

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago

Dragonlover
I've learned long ago that my money is better invested in buying singles, and that I will manage to open the absolute worst packs Wizards can make.
I still have flashbacks to the m11 pool I had where my only removal was 2× hornet sting, and my strongest cards were Warlord's Axe & Sleep. It was not a good look.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago

Dragonlover
I got all 2 cards I wanted (and a handful of golem tokens cause I wanted them too).

Might go back for a second round today though, just cause I have the time.

arrogantAxolotl

Post by arrogantAxolotl » 4 years ago

Howdy, folks. It's good to see you all again.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Didn’t get to prerelease myself. We had a meeting with the bank to start the ball rolling on a house purchase, which went well. I didn’t really have much I wanted from this release anyway. The legends are cool enough but nothing I absolutely must build (which if I’m being honest is a good thing because Yawgmoth is gonna be expensive).
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Didn’t get to prerelease myself. We had a meeting with the bank to start the ball rolling on a house purchase, which went well. I didn’t really have much I wanted from this release anyway. The legends are cool enough but nothing I absolutely must build (which if I’m being honest is a good thing because Yawgmoth is gonna be expensive).
Congrats on the (upcoming) house purchase! That's a big thing,
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

toctheyounger

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Congrats on the (upcoming) house purchase! That's a big thing,
Thanks! My wife and I have been flatting for like 15 years so it’s about damn time we put money towards our own house. Our timing is really good too - interest rates are decent rn, and it’s sort of a buyers market - which is good because houses in Auckland are generally enormously expensive. $1m here doesn’t get you close to what you might buy for the same price in the US. (That’s not what we’re spending, purely a hypothetical number)

Dragonlover

Well, I got a Kykar, so I'll probably retool my old Ruhan pillowfort once I've done my Noyan Dar challenge deck.

Context for that: every year my playgroup challenges each other by drawing names out of a hat, then choosing a card for that person to build a deck round. This year I got given Spellweaver Volute so decided to use it to beat people up with lands.

Congrats on the house toc!

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
My wife and I have been flatting for like 15 years...
And you call yourself younger... tsk tsk. (I did read the post explaining the name, but this was just too easy.)

toctheyounger

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
My wife and I have been flatting for like 15 years...
And you call yourself younger... tsk tsk. (I did read the post explaining the name, but this was just too easy.)
Honestly, the silver in my beard is a dead giveaway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”