Do you think C19 is above and beyond?

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Sharpened wrote:
4 years ago
C19 does little to "Wow" anyone.
I can agree with that. The aura morph is probably the only really different design (and is it really different from something like Zoetic Cavern?).

RedCheese
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
RedCheese wrote:
4 years ago
Least popualr commander doesn't mean it was connected to repritns, it jsut emant that mono colroed planewalkers wasn't a thing for alot of people. Why can't we get good reprints and interesting commanders? Yes scarcity exist, intentional ones that inflate prices of alot for card to unreal reasons. Sorry i rather have both exciting new cards and exciting reprints for this product.
Name me a card I can't buy and have on my doorstep within a week. And don't come at me with that schichifukujin dragon or whatever.

Also I have no idea what "unreal reasons" would be. It's pretty simple: price = demand / supply. Idk why one card's value would be more unreal than another.

Why does it matter that they were monocolored? *wotc releases an entire year of homarid tribal commanders* "it just meant that homarid commanders wasn't a thing for a lot of people." (sorry, I mean "alot of people")
Sharpened wrote:
4 years ago
The lack of popularity of the 2014 Commanders has more to do with the unpopularity of monocolor decks. You have the 2nd most popular mono-red commander, top 5 for Green and Blue and just outside the top 5 for White (per EDHREC).

2014 also had some exceptionally exciting new cards, beyond the commanders:
Containment Priest
Scrap Mastery
Song of the Dryads
Titania, Protector of Argoth

2019 has Dockside Extortionist and very little else (Mire in Misery may or may not be worthwhile).
See above for snarky retort about mono-colored commanders. Being among the most popular mono-colored commanders doesn't keep the lights on at wizards of the coast - selling the most product does.

Can't say I've played any of those except song of the dryads in all the ~100 decks I've built (though I own all of them). I realize they're useful for certain decks, no question, but they aren't exactly general-purpose staples except for song. 2014 does do pretty well in terms of frequently-played cards, but their #1 with a bullet is command sphere - most likely because of getting reprinted a bazillion times.

I think leadership vacuum, ohran frostfang, sanctum of eternity, scaretiller, and sevinne's reclamation could all be plenty popular. But it's hard to compare the popularity of the two sets until this one is actually released, of course.

@Lifeless - I've played precons against "real decks" plenty. The 2011s are by far the worst - most of the rest are winnable.
So why mentioned that they were the least popular commanders? Acording to whom? If its true and have data showing, it msut because of the unpopularity of them been mono color. I don't get why you mentioend it? The ponit is that they could put some expensive cards liek Wurmcoil Engine and you remarked "But they are the modt unpopular commander product". So what?

Scarcity or not, it is urneasonable to shed 30 dollars in something like Oracle of Mul Daya. Of course no one is forced to get the card, but some cards are in this position and will keep getting expensive because Wizards bends to the secondary market and they refuse to reprint decent stuff other in expensive products like Master sets.

Like come on, who wants Emmara Tandris? So many cards in this year commander decks are very easy find and msot are from newer sets or sets that had massive amount of print run .

Good for you that you can buy any card you want because money isn't a problem for you. Aparently you don't get why goosd reprints is good for others.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I just do not understand the metric they use for value.

It seems like they have to account for every single card in the deck as if $0.40 cards are going to affect anything price wise. What they need to be doing is giving them an allowance of say, $100 or so of cards worth $2.50 or more. Stop pretending like anyone gives a crap about another reprint of $1.00 mimic vat.

The only way these decks are going to do anything to help the mid-price problem in EDH (where there are just too damn many $20.00 cards) is if they print a bunch of them. They don't have to go insane, but hell...give us a 100.00 budget ignoring dollar rares and I'm positive MTGN would build decks for them that are actually decent and fun.

I appreciate wizards wanting to manage their reprint equity but they've seriously got to stop with the nickling and diming in the precons.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

Pokken

I think I may be able to shed some light

I think they do account for every card and its value. . .my example will be the lands. why not very many rare duals?

Wizards has a triple edged mace they are swinging like a pendulum.

take true-name nemesis
when they made this card that deck sold out and left the other decks on the shelves. Wizards specifically looks at all decks and their ability to sell.
and ill tell you I think they pick up value in the lands, if a deck has weak reprints look at the rare lands. . .more rare lands means they saw this and were like this deck isn't going to sell what do we do.

remember Wizards (well Hasbro) wants to put the minimal amount in for maximum pay. . .they would print you white on white magic cards if you would buy them.

these commander decks are exactly this. like where are the signets?

the nickel and diming is whats going to kill true players (the tabletop person that plays for fun), because its real

they even kill flavor for this, the morph deck doesn't have the 1 card that started all that morph is (ixodor), I mean print a angel deck without akroma why don't you.

anyway im getting off track cause this topic im pretty passionate about maybe more later haha

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

RedCheese wrote:
4 years ago
So why mentioned that they were the least popular commanders? Acording to whom? If its true and have data showing, it msut because of the unpopularity of them been mono color. I don't get why you mentioend it? The ponit is that they could put some expensive cards liek Wurmcoil Engine and you remarked "But they are the modt unpopular commander product". So what?

Scarcity or not, it is urneasonable to shed 30 dollars in something like Oracle of Mul Daya. Of course no one is forced to get the card, but some cards are in this position and will keep getting expensive because Wizards bends to the secondary market and they refuse to reprint decent stuff other in expensive products like Master sets.

Like come on, who wants Emmara Tandris? So many cards in this year commander decks are very easy find and msot are from newer sets or sets that had massive amount of print run .

Good for you that you can buy any card you want because money isn't a problem for you. Aparently you don't get why goosd reprints is good for others.
According to EDHrec. And the anecdotal evidence that I haven't seen any of them in ages, and very few total. A couple daretti decks years ago and like...maybe one teferi deck? Never any of the other three, to my recollection.

So proxy oracle (or whatever other moderately expensive card), if you can't keep up with your meta's budget. It's not a tournament format. If you're already caught up to your meta's budget, then you don't need an oracle anyway.

Wizards does reprint valuable stuff, just slowly. Maybe they're too slow, but there is a logic to it - if I'm worried that my cards could be reprinted to oblivion and lose all value, I'm a lot less likely to want to buy them in the first place. Part of it is presumably their release schedule and how far in advance they have to work. Oracle will probably get reprinted in a year or something.

And hey, new players might like emmara tandris. Prevent all damage seemed insane to me when I was a kid (in that case, in the form of cho-manno, revolutionary).
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I appreciate wizards wanting to manage their reprint equity but they've seriously got to stop with the nickling and diming in the precons.
Our (presumably) very own [mention]Surging Chaos[/mention] made a brilliant comment about Reprint Equity on reddit.

Reprint Equity needs to get used. I absolutely understand that Wizards has to engineer a product that sells well, but not too well, especially in the markets that it isn't targeted at (i.e. eternal format players trying to get their playsets of Flusterstorm, Containment Priest and True-name Nemesis).

Wizards really *should* be managing secondary market prices via reprints to stop things like Oracle of Mul Daya and Snapcaster Mage from spiraling out of control until they can't reprint it except at Mythic, creating even more of a barrier to entry in formats like Modern than there already is.

If a card - especially a modern staple - is over $20, believe me, the speculators and investors are getting their cut, and it's time it got reprinted.

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 4 years ago

The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
they even kill flavor for this, the morph deck doesn't have the 1 card that started all that morph is (ixodor), I mean print a angel deck without akroma why don't you.
If you check Glenn Jones's twitter account, he explains why they didn't put in Ixidor, Reality Sculptor. It makes sense and it has nothing to do with price/value and everything to do with making the best deck they could. Same for Dream Chisel and Catalyst Stone.

Putting value in the precons is a tightrope they have to walk.

Look, True-Name Nemesis was a debacle (and not just for the design). People were buying up that deck just to resell it, which is absolutely not what WotC wants.

Also, I suspect they are bad at predicting prices, which is what they have to do in a lot of cases. I bet they thought Sun Titan was a reprint that would add value. And it should be. But it's been printed to the point where it's value is barely above bulk. If you look, C19 has more Mythics reprinted than C18 (I count 14 vs 8). I think they are trying, they just aren't good at it.

But even ignoring the value, it seems lackluster. Why is Bad River, the only Mirage slow fetch that hasn't been reprinted yet. It feels like they are retreading over and over on a lot of the same reprints and not thinking outside the box.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Oracle will probably get reprinted in a year or something.
I'd like to believe you, but I'm honestly not sure it will. It's been an in-demand 20+ dollar EDH card since 2016, and how many waves of supplementary sets has it missed?

I feel WOTC are a bit in over their head with the needed reprints to keep their various non-rotating formats afloat. Back in the days of masters sets, it already felt like a comical cartoonish attempt to plug up springing leaks. But hey, at least they were doing something, even if that something came in the form of hiked MSRP lottery tickets, leading to a minor dip in prices for a few months. The real heroes were the supplemental sets like CN2/BBD, which have now bred their own problems - Selvala, Heart of the Wilds is over 40 bucks. That said, 2019 was a particularly shoddy year. The innovation product did not sneak in any notable reprints, M20 followed up M19's surprisingly solid array of reprints with... uh... a pair of Leylines, and the commander precons avoided poking their head up above the 10 dollar mark unless absolutely necessary. And even then, the border was barely breached.

I'm not sure there is a clean way to solve all this without a Chronicles-tier debacle where the hoarders get mad. I'd be all in favour of reprinting everything into the dirt. I got a bunch of Rhystic Studies, Cyclonic Rifts and Mana Vaults for a relative pittance back in the day, and I'd be perfectly fine with having their value plummet just to have people be able to actually use them.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

DirkGently

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I'm not sure there is a clean way to solve all this without a Chronicles-tier debacle where the hoarders get mad. I'd be all in favour of reprinting everything into the dirt. I got a bunch of Rhystic Studies, Cyclonic Rifts and Mana Vaults for a relative pittance back in the day, and I'd be perfectly fine with having their value plummet just to have people be able to actually use them.
Well, as long as most people don't actually quit over not getting the cards they want reprinted, the answer is pretty simple for wotc: err on the side of caution when it comes to reprints. If the magic economy collapses, you can't really un-collapse it very easily.

But that's the great thing about a non-tournament format, is that no one is making you play with real cards. If you're getting crushed by other players with more expensive stuff, just proxy that business.

I wouldn't be too upset about rift or studies getting reprinted (well except that I don't have much love lost for playing with or against rhystic study tbh - but monetarily I wouldn't care). But I've got a big ol' expensive collection. If the magic economy tanked I'd lose a LOT of money, asset-wise. So I'd prefer they didn't pull another Chronicles if at all possible.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

My thoughts:

Good:
  • Reprints - There are a number of cards that I would actually intentionally play in a finished deck with some of these commanders in their precons. Seeing these $5 rares and what not is GREAT to see.
  • Landbases - I might be overstating things but I feel like these are some of the best precon landbases we have ever seen.
  • New cards - I saw a number of desireable new cards that will be fun to test and see how they do.
  • Power Level - I appreciate the power level of the commanders this year. I can remember the first few years and on average it seems like there is like one pushed commander each year where I just know I am going to dread playing against them. I felt that the commanders this year had a much better balance to them. I like to see new design but I like seeing balanced commanders who don't feel like they will just become the next overly centralizing commander out there. The lack of eminence or scaling cast commanders this year is very pleasant as I always felt that those commanders felt really unbalanced.
Bad:
  • Themes - I was very disappointed that we didn't stick to the themes more. Several of the themes feel like they weren't currently all that viable but for them to be viable I felt that we needed a lot more commitment to them. I am still not convinced as of right now that Madness, Flashback, or Morph are prevalent enough that if I saw a deck for them that I would feel they are a deck dedicated to those things and not some generic deck utilizing them in those colors.
  • Morph Deck - I feel like this is by far the worst of the precons (hear me out). The problem I have with this precon is that 3/4 of the legends in this precon have nothing to do with morph and in my opinion morph is very close to being a mechanic that you can't optimally include in a deck where the commander does not directly contribute to them. From this perspective if your intention was to run 3/4 of the legends from this deck, I feel like most of the actual precon is irrelevant. Going into the spoilers I was of the opinion that morph needed a commander to make morph relivant and assuming they didn't make bad morph cards good that morph would probably need something like 6-10 REALLY strong new cards. I think the new morph commander is fine, but I don't feel like they delivered enough on the new cards for morph personally to make the deck really shine. I obviously have not seen this commander in action but I don't feel like morph got enough as it stands but there is this deck devoted to a mechanic that is largely in my opinion not that viable in commander.
Overall:
I feel like this product was alright. If I were to pass anything on to the creators of this product it would be that if you are going to try to hit on a bunch of different tactics / concepts and not try to make most of the commanders consistent in what they would do I would perhaps avoid giving a theme or something for these decks. I find that I am constantly let down when I am expecting a focus for the whole deck and the new cards and then suddenly I get 4 very different commanders and a slew of different cards in them. For example in C18 I felt that enchantress was a very good example of what the bant deck was but landfall was a TERRIBLE way to label Jund and I felt completely let down when it didn't feel nearly as cohesive in focus. I felt very similarly this year when I felt that there were a lot of split focuses for the legends and new cards. I think that overall this product looks fine and or decent but really I do have some real issues with the design behind the morph deck as I listed above.

My final pre preduct release thoughts would be that this product is something like a 7.5/10. Its far from my favorite commander precon but I think there are several I would put below this one (including last year's). It is likely that I will look to buy a copy of the Jeskai and Rakdos decks which is a good indicator I would say of a decent precon considering how much I own.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

DirkGently

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
[*]Morph Deck - The problem I have with this precon is that 3/4 of the legends in this precon have nothing to do with morph
HOLD UP - Rayami DOES have synergy with morph - she comes down on-curve after a morph, and the morph can have all sorts of spicy keyword abilities that will count even if it doesn't transform before it dies (for example, sagu mauler). Plus you can keep them concealed, so for example your opponents might waste removal on Rayami and then you can sac sagu mauler to protect her.

In all honesty, if I do make Rayami, I'll probably throw a couple morphs in there. Mostly the hexproof ones.

Ok sorry that's it I'm done.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

Sharpened
im glad you posted that cause that's exactly what I read.

and my argument to him would be who are you to say hahahahahahha
ok for realizes though. . .
"Playtesting showed morph to be complicated for players and opponents" - ok but your still going to make a deck of it and then deny flavor? cool cool

"Ixidor also adds a timing window and requires you track damage on morphs more closely, because they could die without the buff" - sure sure, ive never said timing window before, so he (Glen) must be next level and im glad he is protecting me, but man flipping a high cast morph for 3 sounds like super fun.

mainly I wanted to point out that wizards does care about what cards are in, and imo all Glen is doing is telling you an excuse as to why some werent.

on the flip side id like to embrace others ideas about what "value" even is and how it would apply to commander?
is value ones ability to buy a deck and then flip it for profit margins?
is value the deck that has the most cards that speak to you?

anyway I enjoy reading everyones thoughts about this

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago

I wouldn't be too upset about rift or studies getting reprinted (well except that I don't have much love lost for playing with or against rhystic study tbh - but monetarily I wouldn't care). But I've got a big ol' expensive collection. If the magic economy tanked I'd lose a LOT of money, asset-wise. So I'd prefer they didn't pull another Chronicles if at all possible.

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
[*]Morph Deck - The problem I have with this precon is that 3/4 of the legends in this precon have nothing to do with morph
HOLD UP - Rayami DOES have synergy with morph - she comes down on-curve after a morph, and the morph can have all sorts of spicy keyword abilities that will count even if it doesn't transform before it dies (for example, sagu mauler). Plus you can keep them concealed, so for example your opponents might waste removal on Rayami and then you can sac sagu mauler to protect her.

In all honesty, if I do make Rayami, I'll probably throw a couple morphs in there. Mostly the hexproof ones.

Ok sorry that's it I'm done.
Its not that you can't run morph cards in any deck but most decks are not made better by them. Maybe Rayami could get away with some of them, I really haven't looked into it but I also don't see it from the standpoint that you want to jam a bunch of morph cards in there by default. Assuming you want morph cards in Rayami it would be big expensive morphs and then you would probably morph them down and sacrifice them while face down. I really haven't looked into it but I don't think you want a ton of them assuming you want them at all and even then I don't know how many of the ones you would want are the ones coming with the deck.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 4 years ago

I think that Commander 2019 is pretty damn sweet. I love many of the commander designs, and am especially impressed that it was the Naya deck that imo had the coolest generals for once.

Literally did not even think of reprints till I saw it mentioned ITT. Don't care at all, will just proxy whatever is too expensive to actually buy lol.
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

I wouldn't call it above and beyond but it's good. 2016 with partners had my brewing brain run amok, but it also had Atraxa the Dull.

Both 2018 and 2019 had unimpressive face commanders, but the alternative legends are thriving. I suppose that's going to be the strategy from WotC from now on is to have very focused face commanders while leaving creativity to the rest. I'm glad they expanded Boros/Gruul/Rakdos in directions previously less explored, and allow Sultai to be less of a good-value wedge. These precons are functional and cohesive and easy to play.

A lot of people see Commander products as a reprint goldmine. It COULD be, but its ultimate purpose is to inspire new deck designs and entice more new players to join in, it's better business for WotC in the long run: Continuous aspiration and new blood.

It'd be a shame if people buy these out for expensive reprints alone, and you don't want new players to value cards base on market prior to having fun with them. Like, if you want your kids to play sports to be healthy, you wouldn't want them to retort, "Will you pay me to play sports?"

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
"Image"
I don't disagree - panicking over every reprint is silly. But there is a point where people get nervous to buy cards. I don't think we're anywhere near that point - I'm pretty sure wotc could reprint a lot more and not run into that problem. But it is a potential problem if they really went nuts. I know I'd be pretty upset if they started printing tabernacles as regular rares in the next standard set.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
Its not that you can't run morph cards in any deck but most decks are not made better by them. Maybe Rayami could get away with some of them, I really haven't looked into it but I also don't see it from the standpoint that you want to jam a bunch of morph cards in there by default. Assuming you want morph cards in Rayami it would be big expensive morphs and then you would probably morph them down and sacrifice them while face down. I really haven't looked into it but I don't think you want a ton of them assuming you want them at all and even then I don't know how many of the ones you would want are the ones coming with the deck.
Well, I think they were intentionally trying to make the other legends not part of the main strategy for diversity's sake. I do agree that it makes most of them a little anemic out-of-the-box if you really want an all-in morph/madness/flashback deck.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Only two thoughts:

1. Definite improvement over last year.

2. Still has a long way to go to live up to the quality of earlier decks.

Two biggest improvements in my mind was that the decks seem a lot more cohesive this year and the land bases were a lot better than last years. We actually got dual lands this time around (and no Vivid lands, thank Hades).

Parting thoughts: If they want to improve the decks even further and make them feel like good value, they should spread the mirage fetches between the four decks next year. Also, they should not be afraid to do a reprint of a card that has not previously been reprinted in each deck. Particularly not if said card doesn't really see play outside of commander.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago

I came.......... VERY close to buying into Leyline of the Void when Modern Horizons came out. It was literally like a month later and they spoiled that it was in M2020 but if I had bought them at $60 I would have been peeved. They created a VERY large issue with graveyards in modern with Modern Horizons and had no affordable solution to it in sight at that time.

I normally don't worry much about reprints but I would have been super pissed if I had thrown away $200 because of a problem that was artificially created by wizards with no foreseen answer in sight at that time.

FoxOfWar
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoxOfWar » 4 years ago

Caveat: I don't care for reprints unless they're new art/first time in modern frame, really. I don't really notice them, as when an individual card gets too expensive... I shrug and move on to pretty much anything else that can fit the deck I'm building.

First time in years that me and my partner (we usually buy the whole set together if it's good enough) have actually ended up discussing over which of us gets a particular new card - several times over the spoilers. This is a good thing, as several commander sets before have elicited much, much less discussion between us. This time we're actually both excited to get our grimy mitts on the product and divvy 'em up.

The commanders are all pretty well designed and for most I could see an interesting build if I started brewing. As said, less eminence, value-no-matter-what-you-do and cast-cost-scaling certainly helps. I waffled a few days over which Naya commander I would even build, as all were interesting in their own ways, and I pretty much instantly knew Chainer was mine to build.

More of the new non-legendary cards also seem like they're actually playable. I'm particularly fond of getting more populate cards that are actually usable in a deck that wants that.

So... at least 'above and beyond' the last few years. Dunno if 'best ever', but certainly very, very good in my books.
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Better than C18 but still under compared to everything before C18

But I do think they did Enough for a 50/50 of newbies and long time players to buy these this time

I think K'rrick is the chase card of the decks this year when in c17 it was teferi's protection

JqlGirl
Arbitrix of the CAG
Pronoun: she / her

Post by JqlGirl » 4 years ago

I like what they did with this year's set. All of the lists look reasonably consistent, unlike last year's decks, which is important for new players.
As far as reprint value goes, no, there's not a lot going on this year in terms of big reprints, but there are a lot of nice touches. There's new art on a lot of cards that maybe didn't "deserve" it (e.g. Prismatic Strands, Mimic Vat) and the art on other cards looks to have been cleaned up and brightened a little too. (e.g. Fresh Meat, Soul Foundry).
It also looks like they made more of an effort in terms of including rare lands and more mythics and rares overall, even if they aren't breaking the bank. I, for one, am happy to see more reprints of the Odyssey signet lands, for example.
Overall, I'd give this year's reprints a 7 and the new cards a 9 (mostly thanks to the new legends),
Last edited by JqlGirl 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ertai Planeswalker

Post by Ertai Planeswalker » 4 years ago

I think it's better than C18 but worse than most that came before it. The decks themselves seem fun to play though, Maybe with the whole Masters thing going away and more attention for Commander in standard sets + the brawl products, these decks no longer have the intended function of making certain cards accessible pricewise like they used to? I mean the value is not fantastic, but it's still worth the money and some of the value went into better mana bases, which has been a complaint every year for as long as I remember.

I do feel that the overall designs this year are not really groundbreaking. I'm building Pramikon and Marisi, but I see no other card that I really want to play. I'm contemplating buying them as singles so I can leave the decks intact.

Well that and Sevinne's Reclamation. I'll take 8 of those.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I see a bunch of folks brought up proxying. While on the whole it's a nice idea, it doesn't work if you float out into the open waters of playing with randoms.

Also, allow me to weave a cautionary tale of what happened with my old group. It all started when a new guy came around with some gold-bordered cards in 2015. For the first time in the meta's experience, there was something other than actual tournament-legal magical cardboard at the table. We nodded along to it, but didn't adopt it. As time went on, he discovered Chinese fakes and built a ludicrous Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder deck with a clock far unsuited for the group. That was also manageable, I'd get the table to focus him into the dirt and usually the game went ok because of it. However, I moved two years ago, and a couple new folks hopped on and adopted his ideals. The group devolved into a full-on proxy arms race. I still sometimes meet up with one of the old guard who stuck it out, and when he pulls out the deck he built to try (and fail) to keep up I get destroyed. I've been blessed with a microcosm of a playgroup where the Muldrotha is Lhurgoyf tribal. Just about everyone in the old group has a Muldrotha with a Chinese Lion's Eye Diamond. Irresponsibly granting power can corrupt the wielders, and this whole "arms race" scenario is widely disliked by the community.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

All I'm saying is...

How do you create a morph deck without Mischievous Quanar and Wall of Deceit? Those are the original gangsters for trolling and making people second guess your morphs!

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”