Mono-Red Burn

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

Looking a bit for a change of pace (also looking for something more resilient to the Goblin decks and Thoughtseize decks running around), I decided to put together Mono-Red Burn since I already had all of the rares and most of everything else. Below is what I am running. It's a pretty stock list outside of the four Sunscorched Desert, which is a really nice addition.

So far I've really liked the deck. It's simpler than most of the decks I play which makes it a nice change of pace. I especially enjoy that while it is an extremely fast deck, it has a lot of mid to late game power due to Ramunap Ruins, Sunscorched Desert, Earthshaker Khenra, and Grim Lavamancer. All of those cards also help mitigate flood.

While I've found it a great game one deck, I've been having trouble with the sideboard. Scavenger Grounds, Bonecrusher Giant // Stomp, and Insult // Injury are really the only cards I'm mostly sure of at this point. Even though Scavenger Grounds does hurt this deck a bit since it has Earthshaker Khenra, Ghitu Lavarunner, and Grim Lavamancer, I've really liked the ability to hate graveyards by either switching out Sunscorched Desert or in match-ups I expect to go long, by adding in two extra lands that are deserts.

Bonecrusher Giant // Stomp and Insult // Injury are for the Nine Lives decks which are running around. While normally a tough match-up, they can help the deck win out of nowhere. The split is just so I can bring in Bonecrusher Giant // Stomp against some decks where I want another burn spell, plus a bigger creature.

The other cards I more unsure about. Anax, Hardened in the Forge is for match-up that can wipe the board, while Lightning Phoenix is for match-ups with Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger since it is really easy to reanimate in this deck. Both of these I'm unsure are worth a spot however as I am having trouble telling if they are actually helping the control & Kroxa match-ups respectively.

Tibalt, Rakish Instigator is for against life gain decks. I chose this over Rampaging Ferocidon mostly because I don't have Rampaging Ferocidons and don't want to spend wild cards without testing it first. In theory Tibalt should be better against mono-white life gain decks since it is hard for them to remove (since their main removal is usually Glass Casket) and Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath decks since much of their removal is creature based, while providing two devils that can pig their one toughness creatures.

Tormod's Crypt I am looking to replace, probably with either more Scavenger Grounds or Grafdigger's Cage. Part of me wants to throw in Grafdigger's Cage for Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath and Muxus, Goblin Grandee, but the other part of me worries that it won't help the way I expect. Against Uro, theoretically I should be faster than they can escape Uro, and I should be more concerned with the life gain on the first cast. Against goblins, it's the same idea, yes it stops Muxus and Conspicuous Snoop, but it's one less damage card and they can just overwhelm me with Goblins. It's probably best match-up would be Rakdos Dreadhorde Arcanist, but in that match-up as well I wonder if Lightning Phoenix isn't just better since they can't block it.

Finally their is Leyline of Combustion which would be good against Sacrifice decks and other Thoughtseize decks like Rakdos Dreadhorde Arcanist, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the wild cards to test it on such a niche card.

If anyone has any thoughts on the sideboard I would love to hear it.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Been really grinding the hell out of this deck in both Best of One and Best of Three. And well...
SPOILER
Show
Hide

I Made it to Diamond. :party:

If I had more time I would try for Mythic (or at least high Diamond). But I am probably going to go back to playing ZEN Draft. Gotta get those full art basic lands after all. And really getting to Diamond took a lot out of me, so I will be happy for a change of pace.

[RANT]Also, I have no idea if I am going to try for Diamond again next month. This is me complaining again, but the seasons are way too short. Especially for someone like me who likes to play both limited and constructed. It's the time commitment that kills me. And in six days I will have to start again... But I digress. [/RANT]

Current Version of the deck image
Show
Hide
I took out the Fanatical Firebrand because they were meh, and against Jund Sacrifice actively bad with a Mayhem Devil out. Replaced them with a Bonecrusher Giant // Stomp and two Rampaging Ferocidon and never looked back. Ferocidon is especially a nice effect to have maindeck since it not only shuts off lifegain, but is great against Goblins or other go wide decks as it basically makes it impossible for them to play their game without killing themselves. I added the one Spikefield Hazard // Spikefield Cave instead of a Shock just to add a twenty-first land to the deck (and a bit more maindeck Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath hate).

The sideboard is still pretty rough which is one of the reasons I moved to doing more Bo1 than Bo3. Jegantha, the Wellspring has been amazing as a companion though. I've only played her a couple of times, but I really appreciate having the ability to play her if I need to. And she has won me a couple of games I would've lost. The funniest was against a Rakdos Arcanist deck. They had lethal on the board with Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger, they were at two life and I had a Ramunap Ruins and five lands total, but I had used a Lightning Strike earlier in the turn to take out a blocker. So what do I do? I pay 3 to put Jegantha into my hand and all of sudden no more lethal and I win on the next turn.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

part of me really wants to recommend Obosh, the Preypiercer as the companion but Viashino Pyromancer and Lightning Strike seem too good to miss on. what are your thoughts on Obosh?

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
part of me really wants to recommend Obosh, the Preypiercer as the companion but Viashino Pyromancer and Lightning Strike seem too good to miss on. what are your thoughts on Obosh?
I actually have a lot of thoughts on Obosh, the Preypiercer (probably way too many) since I was deciding between it and Jegantha, the Wellspring. The long and short of it (plus playing against a couple Mono-Red Obosh decks) is Jegantha is basically free in the deck since the only card I might consider maindecking that has more than one red pip is Goblin Chainwhirler. Obosh, on the other hand, requires cutting Viashino Pyromancer and Earthshaker Khenra (Lightning Strike isn't that big of a loss and could be replaced with more Bonecrusher Giant // Stomp). Earthshaker Khenra is a big loss since it does so much, it is a haste threat that takes out an early blocker and then can finish out the game by eternalizing it and not only is Viashino Pyromancer a nice burn spell it is also a wizard for Wizard's Lightning.

Obosh also has the problem, where unlike Jegantha who is nice to have, if you are playing it, you really want to get it out on the battlefield ASAP. This is one because of the power of its effect, and two, because you are making some pretty big sacrifices to play it as your companion. It would require a lot of retooling of the deck. The deck would slow down by a turn or two. Probably an increase in the land-count, maybe playing Heraldic Banner like the standard version did, and probably two or three copies maindeck as well since Obosh is a kill on sight card and you don't want to have to take a turn off to pay the 3 for the companion tax if you don't have to. At this point it probably plays more like a burst damage deck or an aggressive midrange deck and less like an aggressive burn deck. And I think Rakdos Arcanist and Jund Sacrifice do the aggressive midrange and burst damage things better, respectively.

Finally, Extinction Event is the sweeper of choice in the format right now. Being able to deploy creatures with odd and even mana costs is really important for any creature based deck.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

It's amazing what a difference one set can make. The entire meta has shifted to the point where I barely see any Jund Sacrifice, only a few Goblins, and a handful of Rakdos Sacrifice. And I've seen zero Sultai Midrange.

Instead the three decks I've seen consistently are Mono-Brown, Neoform, and Omnath, all are just brutal match-ups for Burn. I added a third Rampaging Ferocidon in place of Bonecrusher Giant // Stomp, but they only make the match-ups a smidge more tolerable. Mono-brown is basically Tron, with a ton of ramp, consistency, and main deck life gain. Neoform is often faster than Burn by a turn. And Omnath, well I don't have to describe why the Omnath decks are crushing it.

My main problem with all three of the decks is that they are all pretty uninteractive. Burn is a deck that thrives on the opponent trying to interact with you. And it is also a deck that has a hard time interacting with decks if their win conditions aren't burnable creatures/planeswalkers.

Part of me says it is probably time to put down burn for another deck until the meta shifts (probably with an Omnath, Locus of Creation ban), but outside of maybe some sort of control deck (which I get bored of real quick), I don't see any interactive deck doing well in this meta.

Finally this last part is funny (not haha, but still), but I currently have a 0% win percentage with burn against Elves out of twelve games. Every time I play against the deck I feel like it should be a good match-up, or at least winnable, so I was sort of surprised when I saw the data.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

The Omnath ban really helped. Not only did it take out the biggest threat to the deck (other than Elves), but it also seemed to diversify the field, as Neostorm and Mono-brown also seemed to drop off. With such a wide open field, and the resurgence of Gruul, the deck feels good once again. It really does well against most random decks or any deck that stumbles (as the deck should).

The changes I made slow down the deck a bit, but are sort of necessary I've found. With so much incidental life gain, plus the fact decks are playing fewer shocklands, having the ability to deal more than 20 damage and be able to grind out games is a must in this meta. That is the main idea of Bonecrusher Giant // Stomp replacing Lightning Strike. It's probably a change I should've made a long time ago, but it was half me being stingy with my wildcards (even though I have 60+ rare wildcards just lying around) and half I was hanging on to the idea that I have to get the opponent down to zero ASAP. Increasing the number of three drops with Bonecrusher Giant is also why I replaced a Shock with Spikefield Hazard // Spikefield Cave.

This change has made Ghitu Lavarunner worse (but not that worse) due to the fewer instants/sorceries. But it's just enough that I am on the look out for another red one drop, preferably a wizard. So this is a slot I might start playing around with. Personally, I am hoping to see something in the upcoming sets that can either replace either Ghitu Lavarunner or up the instant/sorcery count.

Finally, I do eventually plan to work on the sideboard some more and take the deck back into best-of-three. I don't know when, but eventually. Maybe 2030.

Elven Update: Currently 0-16 against Elves with this deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Developing”