M21 Spoilers - Peasant Cube

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

okay so far I'm loving the spoilers for M21. It reminds me of my favorite standard era of m12, innstard, new Phyrexia and Im super down for more cube cards of that kind of design space. So far the cards I'm hyped about are:
Vanish
Shipwreck Dowser
Carrion Grub
Llanowar Visionary

and the card I'm most excited about:
Quirion Dryad
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Ulka

I wanted to take some time and actually talk about each of the cards I referred to in the Original post in a bit greater detail. I had been super excited but didn't have time to go in-depth but no time like the present.

Eliminate: With most walkers being 3 cmc or less in my cube this is great but also given majority of creatures in my cube can be removed by this too is why it really solidifies its addition. Im debating if I replace Smother with it as a near strict upgrade or if i'm going to be looking for a different cut. Time will tell with this change.

Shipwreck Dowser: I currently no longer run Archaeomancer or Mnemonic Wall but I love the effect. Now given this has prowess I think I will make some solid space for this. I'm currently looking at replacing Chain of Vapor as I have found the card to be underwhelming as much as I love it.

Carrion Grub: Black graveyard matters cards are always welcome but further this card plays nicely on defense with the 5 toughness until you can bin a stronger power creature. I'm not fully sold on this grub yet but I'm looking at testing it.

Llanowar Visionary: This is the first true auto-include for me. It should play super nicely in many archetypes. the only Issue i'm running into is that the green section of my cube is quite balanced and it will take me time to figure out the shift here but I'm looking between Hooded Brawler or Evolution Sage

Finally one of my al-time favorite cards: Quirion Dryad. This will be an amazing tempo card for the cube and I actually am still not sure what Im cutting for this but I am looking at Chainweb Aracnir.

But thats not all folks - oh boy today we have gotten some gems:
Vryn Wingmare: heck of a downgrade for us. It plays very nicely into skys matter and provides the thalia tax effect i've wanted for my cube for a long time. Will be replacing Mana Tithe for this.

Valorous Steed: 5 power of vigilance attackers for 5 is great. It also gives White another higher cmc creature i don't mind plus it plays very nicely with the blink archetype that Azorious splits with Flying matters

Hellkite Punisher: I'm known for two things in the magic Community it seems my Cubone obsession and my desire for Shivan Dragon to be downshifted to uncommon. This was a step in the right direction but I am still furious Shivan Dragon isn't an Uncommon yet. I could honestly write an whole article on this (Heck Im going to now) but this will still be included in my cube. While it lacks the iconic-ism of Shivan it does get a P/T upgrade for the extra mana we are paying. In my current cube there is only 2 creature that can block this to trade: Havoc Demon and Baleful Strix. More to come on this in the article.

Garruk's Uprising: I love this card for two specific archetypes in my cube: Gruul Midrange and Simic Ramp. Both decks often feature several 4 power creatures as thier main ways to win so this will be a fine inclusion plus giving trample just seems mean when you consider all things. this will replace Scale Up.

The final card to be considered for cubing at this moment is Obsessive Stitcher. I love the feel of this card and it plays nicely into the fact Dimir has been playing with Reanimator in my cube for a long time as much as it's purpose was for Golgari to take that role. I will be replacing Dimir Signet for this.

Ulka

So with these past 2 days of spoilers a few more interesting cards came up:

Conclave Mentor: For those who have +1/+1 counter themes in thier Selenya guild section. I'm considering this as it makes the Naya +1/+1 counter combo decks work even more efficiently.

Wildwood Scourge: an improved Ivy Elemental which is very welcome.

Goremand: I like this as a reanimation finisher. removing a blocker and then also having trample is quite good. Will be replacing Supernatural Stamina with this. I feel stamina while effective is under utilized by my players.

Liliana's Devotee: Honestly I'm looking at this card as a very slow Grave Titan. The fact it plays well into aristocrats and is a nice anthem for the other 9 zombies I run in my black section.

Watcher of the Spheres: an Improved Warden of Evos Isle for UW skies. I'm at this point really considering flipping my UW blink back to UW skies as this set is giving us so many nice toys for the archetype.

Silversmote Ghoul and Griffin Aerie: Both of these cards are excellent pickups if you Run Lifegain Matters in WB. I've considered it in the past and these just make it even more enticing. I won't be making the switch right away after M21 comes out but Im considering it for the future. Another card to consider with this is Light of Promise.

Ulka

As there are only 17 New cards for Jumpstart I'm juts going to tack them on here.
Archaeomender: I like this card if you play tinker or have enough artifacts in the cube. It also plays well into the Blink Archetypes U/W plays. I may consider playing it but currently will be abstaining.

Chained Brute: This feels like Bloodrage Brawler but also just adds to the Sacrifice Archetype that B/R has. While its iffy if it is worth including but I do like the card and the Art.

Living Lightning: I like this card for the Spells Matter Archetype for U/R. It still triggers on death which helps the Sacrifice archetype but helps the U/R spells matter have a bit more red contribution. I feel like it may be worth playing in cubes that are larger or are more focused on Archetypes but in my current cube I think it would be too weak to play.

Release the Dogs: I like that we just keep adding on tot he concept of more tokens for more mana in White. I like this card and honestly I'm considering it over Rally for the Throne in my cube.

Spiteful Prankster: a strict upgrade to Hissing Iguanar for those who run it. I'm considering it currently over Merchant of the Vale as I find the Discard is less useful.

the Thriving Lands example :Thriving Bluff I plan to run these in addition to the Vivids, Khans Trilands, Ravinica Bounce, and the Khans Life Tap Lands. This leads me to have 40 Multicolor lands in a 480 cube, which feels good. I plan to remove a card from each color to make space for them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Peasant Cube Lists and Discussion”