Enchantments Matter Archetype

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

In the past year we have gotten more support for Enchantments matter and I wanted to flesh my thoughts out on the idea of Enchantress as a Selesnya Archetype.

Both Green and White have a long history with enchantmnets bmattering so I feel historically there is a memory for players that G/W enchantments is a thing without needing to see a Signal Post Gold Card Slot to really help show this.

But speaking of the Gold cards I might Start with some that Really are makign me think on this:

Armadillo Cloak: a classic Aura that is one of the few Auras that I run frequently in my cube due to its raw power as a card and as it history as a very powerful Uncommon.

Satyr Enchanter: A lovely Enchantress effect that really helps signal that G/W enchantments are a thing.

Sterling Grove: A tutor and a Protection effect wrapped into one card really helps show that enchantmnets matter and also really helps the archetype if taken early as a Build around card.

Siona, Captain of the Pyleas: An Aura focused Signal post card that is also a combo peice for the deck to be able to combo out with Shielded By Faith. this really is a huge payoff card for the archetype and enables an aggressive GW deck with the Armadillo Cloak.

These really give a nice signal core and for me, I run 5 Gold Slots so this still allows another card to just have a value card in the Gold section such as good-fortune Unicorn or qasali pridemage.

As to enchantments for the Archetype in both the G/W section there are a few major sections, White exile effect such as Oblivion ring and green Ramp Enchantments such as wild growth. These fit nicely in the cube and then we have the powerhouse enchantments like sylvan library or land tax that are found in most peasant cubes.

Further we can also get Auras to make G/W aggro work with auras like Rancor or ethereal armor.

Im curious what people think, does this Archetype seem like it has enough legs?
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Ulka

Well Destiny Spinner got spoiler around when I was typing this so I missed this in the discussion of a reason to try now. I tihkn this may have just turned a the tide to me testing this archetype.

Purplemurasaki

Post by Purplemurasaki » 4 years ago

Siona, Captain of the Pyleas, Nyx Herald, and Destiny Spinner in addition to some of the more recent enchantments makes a subtheme fairly reasonable. Cartouche of Strength, Kenrith's Transformation, Season of Growth, and Gryff's Boon in addition to the older Rancor, Faith's Fetters, Temporal Isolation, and Oblivion Ring and co. gives you a pretty unobtrusive enchantment suite in GW.

I'm not sure what enchantment count you could reasonably get to, but something like Yavimaya Enchantress doesn't take too high of a count to be a reasonable pick outside of enchantress. Dreampod Druid also has a good enough floor and ceiling to be worth going out of your way for. Actual Enchantress effects feel like they need too high of an enchantment count to be reasonable, but that may be cube dependent.

Heliod's Pilgrim, Totem-Guide Hartebeast, and Auramancer are pretty good support cards too, especially when Rancor or other repeatable auras work incredibly well with the entire archetype.

The main issue with it becoming a full archetype is the lack of support outside of GW. The best choice is probably black with Mogis's Favor and Blightcaster, but nothing else particularly elegant.

Also, what set was Shielded by Faith uncommon in? It's rare on all the printings on Gatherer, but you're the second person that brought up the combo with Siona.

Ulka

Shielded by Faith was printed as an Uncommon in a MTGO cube reward pack. So it is an online only printing but in my eyes that still counts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Peasant Cube Lists and Discussion”