Theros: Death Beyond - Peasant Spoilers

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

I figured i'd give it a few days before making this thread as Staggering Insight was the first card that made me consider inclusion into my cube as of now. The more I look at this the more I think it is probably worth adding to my cube.

Daxos, Blessed by the Sun seems interesting but i feel may just blank aggro as a growing blocker. I will note his promo is BEAUTIFUL which really makes me want to try him but im still having issues that aggro isn't performing well in my cube.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

FunkyDragon

Post by FunkyDragon » 4 years ago

Now that Chainweb Aracnir has been confirmed, I think I'll have to find a slot for it in my cube.

Ulka

Yea chainweb aracnir will be taking Narnam Renegade's spot as my 1 cmc Deathtoucher.

Other cards Im considering at the moment are:

Drag to the Underworld - typically Black has a strong enough devotion in the monoblack deck that gets drafted every other draft it seems. gary keeps that deck around and I think Drag will help with that while also being usable in multicolor decks.

Pharika's Spawn - I think after thinking on this, the spawn may be my favorite card of the set so far. The fact we get a 3/4 body for 4 is lack luster but when it escapes holy crap. a 5/6 body is something that must be awnsered and the largest static boardwipe ( havoc Demon ) doesnt clear it in my cube. On top of that you get to clear out a creature of thier own and the fact thats its escape cost only involves exiled 3 cards from your graveyard is very affordable means this card will be a constant pressure at the end of the game. Im already looking at my cube and Kezzerdrix will be getting the axe for this.

Reverent Hoplite - finally we come to this card. A not strickly better or stickly worse Evangel of Heliod. I feel like the being 1 mana cheaper may make me consider this but Im not sold on it yet. This is one card that I feel I will need to test as it could be great or it could brick hard in the cube.

Ulka

oooo we have a new infinite combo for peasant cube!

siona, captain of the pyleas goes infinite with shielded by faith. You may be saying what shielded by faith has never been printed as an uncommon but it was in the Legend cube rewards as an uncommon on MTGO so Technically Legal is the best kind of legal in the cube. Plus Siona even hunts for the shield so the potiental for cube is excellent.

Ulka

Destiny Spinner - HOLY CRAP. Power Creep is real. getting a gaea's Hearld funtional reprint and upgrade in an Uncommon is crazy. Im going to be snap including this into my cube.

Whirlwind Denial - another Windmill slam to my addtions list. It is a nice 3 cmc counterspell and can also blank out abilities which is huge. There arent many decent stifle effects in Peasant cube and this might be the best ones as it can really win in counter wars also.

Anax, hardened in the Forge - Oh man this really could be fun for the RB Artistocrats Archetype if people still run that. Anax could also make for a fun Devotion finisher for Red as anyone who played in the Original Theros block can tell you how much fun Fanatic of Mogis is. I feel like this could help be part of a 2-3 card package to make Devotion work in Red so that players could make a devotion deck in each color.

Renata, Called to the Hunt - Another Kitchen Finks Combo Peice along with +1/+1 counter archetype. Im also cvonsidering making a Devotion package for each color to see if A: it will work but more so B: is it fun.

Agonizing Remorse - I have been finding my cube often wants the Thoughtseize effect as its kinda a staple to cube enviorment and Peasant while it has inquisition of kozilek, hymn to tourach, and duress I often am looking for more early discard spells and this is a consideration just for the exile effect as it removes the possiblity of fueling early reanimator. heck I may just write a whole article on this as Im realizing how much discussion I have for this.

Naiad of Hidden Coves - I didn't realize how much my spells matter archetype in the Izzet Guild slot could abuse this. The body on the Naiad is very important as that 3 toughness actually bounces off a bunch of attackers in the cube. While less of windmill add, I do think it could be a consideration.

Callaphe, Beloved of the Sea - A blue devotion add if I decide to test my devotion packages but also provides a frost titan resiliance to creatures may make this worth adding to the cube.

FunkyDragon

Of those, Renata, Called to the Hunt is the only one I'd consider, but I already have Rhythm of the Wild and Good-Fortune Unicorn (which replaced Juniper Order Ranger), and I'm not running Grumgully, the Generous. It just seems like we're getting flooded with this type of ability. I do have Murderous Redcap and Kitchen Finks, so I can combo with a sac outlet (Goblin Bombardment, Bogardan Dragonheart, Viscera Seer, Carrion Feeder), and the only real advantage I see with Renata is that it doesn't force white or red to make combo work. Thing is, I like the Unicorn as a sign-post for the GW +1/+1 counter archetype, and I like Rhythm for the haste/uncounterable clauses. I just don't think I want to add yet another instance of the ability, plus she costs 4 mana.

I'm still eagerly awaiting confirmation of the better Manic Vandal that was spoiled unofficially some time ago (Irreverent Revelers?). I hope that one's real.

Purplemurasaki

Post by Purplemurasaki » 4 years ago

Not a terribly interesting set. We don't have the best ways to make use of devotion, constellation, or heroic, and most of the generally good cards have an older card that fill their role. A lot of the cards with unique effects are expensive or require additional payments to work at all.

Expect to be great:
Anax, Hardened in the Forge - Ridiculously overloaded with abilities
Chainweb Aracnir - Not a hard hoop to jump through to get an exceptional card

Expect to be good:
Alirios, Entraptured - Great stat per mana ratio with some good synergy
Mire Triton - Boring, but supports archetypes well
Mogis's Favor - Versatile with a good floor and ceiling

FunkyDragon

It's probably just Chainweb Aracnir and Irreverent Revelers for me. Not sure what I'll pull for the spider, but I might swap Manic Vandal for the satyr.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Peasant Cube Lists and Discussion”