Commander 2019 Speculation Thread.

Marquis
Spoiler Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

What themes do you think we will see this year? What colour combinations? Which if any older legends will get updated cards? What characters who have never had a card do you want to see?

Please note this is speculation only, anything confirmed should be discussed in the Commander 2019 general discussion thread.

Bookstooge
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Bookstooge » 4 years ago

I just want C19 to not suck. C18 really, really disappointed me in the amount of work I would have had to do to any of the decks. I like some tuning (Feline Ferocity from '17 was great for that) but pretty much having to rebuild the deck from the ground up isn't what I want.

Personally, I'd like a cycle of dual, mono and non-colored decks this time around. Give us a break from the 3-5 colors...

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 4 years ago

Bookstooge wrote:
4 years ago
Give us a break from the 3-5 colors...
Given the number of 5C legends in Modern Horizons and the Wedge cycle in M20 I wouldn't be surprised if they did just this.

With RTRTR just gone, maybe they could go for a set of 5 decks to cover the ally-coloured guilds? This would finish the "cycles-of-five" that were almost fully covered by Commander through Commander 2016. It might also be a good place to reprint the ally-coloured Temples, since the enemy-coloured ones were reprinted in M20.

If they did go down this route, I'd probably hope for pairs of mono-coloured partner commanders. Whether I'd prefer them to have the general or specific version of the Partner mechanic, I'm not sure.
Last edited by Myllior 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

Bookstooge

Personally, I like the Temples so reprints are always welcome. I can see them doing a 2c deck with mono-colored partner commanders. Kind of like what they did in Battlebond, with Will&Rowan, etc.

I just want reprints of cards I can't afford. Or a soul ring reprint with the original art :-D

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

Bookstooge wrote:
4 years ago

I just want reprints of cards I can't afford.
this
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Yeah, somehow I feel like monocolor partners are in the cards.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, somehow I feel like monocolor partners are in the cards.
At first I wasn't too impressed with partner as a mechanic but now I'd like to see it get explored more as a mechanic. Maybe because it's new but it seems fun

Kman

Post by Kman » 4 years ago

Im hoping for totally off the wall themes. Planes that get no love or tribes that get no love. We need something new.

So glad Nexus is now up.

TearsOfTomorrow

Post by TearsOfTomorrow » 4 years ago

Am I the only one who actually liked C18?
For C19 I expect changelings and/or elementals and/or slivers to be featured, since they've been receiving a lot of attention lately, and focusing a new commander set around tribes that are seeing lots of love in contemporary sets is a good strategy for getting people to buy those sets. Also see. Edgar and Ixalan.

Bookstooge

TearsOfTomorrow wrote:
4 years ago
I LOVED the ideas presented in C18, just not the execution. A buddy of mine bought two of them and played them. It was fun playing something new but on each subsequent replay all the weaknessess really came out. We kept looking at each other and going "Why isn't Card X in here to facilitate this?" Glad you enjoyed it but it was too much work for me.

I really hope they don't do a slivers commander deck. I just don't like playing against slivers. And a table full of slivers is something I have nightmares about :-)

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

TearsOfTomorrow wrote:
4 years ago
For C19 I expect changelings and/or elementals and/or slivers to be featured, since they've been receiving a lot of attention lately, and focusing a new commander set around tribes that are seeing lots of love in contemporary sets is a good strategy for getting people to buy those sets. Also see. Edgar and Ixalan.
I loved the new cards from C18, as I suspect most actually did. Those were a hit. The issue was the deck design and reprint quality, which no one will claim to admire, because it was detestable, the lack of value and consideration for providing good selection. The decks were essentially new cards + Sol Ring + Basics for $40. At that point it really should have just been a booster set of only the new cards. So as for the new cards themselves, Arixmethes was in C18. So of course I absolutely adored it.

I would love ally color pairings this time, or enemy color pairings. I would like more options in Azorius, especially a Vryn legend like an Ampryn leader or something. An Ephara reprint in the new border would be wonderful. Even a mix of both ally and enemy would be ideal, but I am fatigued with anything over 2 colors at this point. I suspect Ozhov angels or angels/demons, with the 4th Innistrad Angel sister leading the deck, to be the case this year. Some Angel tribal support would be very much welcome, and I genuinely hope it's somewhere we see handsome male angels finally appear. Props if Cynthia Shepherd paints one.

I really want mono-color again soon, too.

If they go the enemy color route, please finish the BFZ cycle of Tangolands. The lack of a Simic one is deeply upsetting to me.

Some legends I would like to see are the remaining Kamigawa book characters, namely Choryu, and Pavios and Thanasis from the story Emonberry Red on Theros. I'm sure we're more likely to get Hal and Alena first, probably even this year, but I hope we eventually get our gay Pyramus and Thisbe someday. Other than that, I really couldn't ask for much more now that I have my beloved Arixmethes, who excites me every day like it did the first day he was spoiled on a card. :D

Some Mono-colored Legendary Lands in the vein of Minamo, Oboro, etc. themed around locations in various planes would be remarkable. And of course, Enchantment Lands please!

DrFunkenstein

Post by DrFunkenstein » 4 years ago

At a shop tonight some dude I traded with asked me if I had heard anything about the new Commander set... so I asked him what he knew. He stared at me a sec, acted like he was about to say something, then muttered nothing.

That got me curious; was he fishing for possible leaked info, or was there something leaked, but then pulled away?

Rumors... heh....

OK, here is what I am hoping for:

More changelings.
An underdeveloped tribe, such as apes or centaurs.
Another friendly sword of _____ and _____.
A taste/hint for the new plane next fall.
Some more playful uses of keywords that were used in Modern Horizons.
A colorless/artifact legend.
A new 2cc mana rock as a rare.
Serra as a legend, not just a planeswalker.

Just a wish list... wonder how many of my guesstimates will come to fruition.

Bookstooge

DrFunkenstein wrote:
4 years ago
....Serra as a legend, not just a planeswalker....
I can see that happening, but not in a commander precon. Maybe in Modern Horizons 2?

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

if this year's Commander decks were less polychromatic, I'd love to see the return of this symbol:
did we ever have a name for that? I always called it concentrated mana but that's unofficial, of course.

maybe one deck out of four could revolve around fetching & counting basic land and casting spells with color-heavy mana costs like or a new effect like "if you cast this spell using only one color of mana, do X", or a legend with Chroma on it, or creatures wearing effects that are spins on Mask of Intolerance or less annoying versions of Planar Overlay, etc. - there's so many single-color legends out there and people are reluctant to build 'em cos there's no particular encouragement to and you get so many tools for not being a monomaniac.

Morganelefay

Post by Morganelefay » 4 years ago

If they do partners, there's one couple that I can absolutely see: Gerrard & Hanna. It is known that WOTC wants a new Gerrard card given how horribad the original is, this would be a perfect place to get one, and have a nice lore-tied partner general to go with it, making for an Azorius duo.
EDH Decks:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis - Arise, Lord Hogaak.
Grumgully, the Generous - The wonderful world of Ferngully.
Prime Speaker Zegana - Draw Cards Tribal.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal & Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Imaginary Superfriends.
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Taxes, Denial and Fatties.
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - Dinos and Eldrazis, oh my.
Ayara, First of Locthwain - March of the Black Queen.
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh - Chandra Tribal.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Curious Contraptions

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

I wouldn't count on a return to five decks. The move away from five decks was a very conscious, deliberate decision. More two-colored decks though would be nice. I think every theme that appeared in mass in Modern Horizons is less likely to appear in an upcoming supplemental product - with the exception of Mix-and-Match cards. Some cards that didn't quite make the cut could easily make it into a Commander-product, if the card seems like it would make more sense in e. g. a multiplayer-focused set.

I'm going to hope for plane-themed decks until we get them. The Ninja-deck seems out, but so is the changeling deck, so the "high Rabiah-score"-planes don't seem likely. Nevertheless it seems like the last low-hanging fruit that wouldn't be entirely a return.

More interesting things to play around with the command zone would be cool. How about a deck with a noncreature commander? We almost got The Grand Calcutron. We could explore an artifact or enchantment like that in black-border. Or just make more partners - I'm fine with that.
folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
if this year's Commander decks were less polychromatic, I'd love to see the return of this symbol:
did we ever have a name for that? I always called it concentrated mana but that's unofficial, of course.
Twobryd - a hybrid where one half is a two. The official term is monocolored hybrid mana.

Jivanmukta
The Spirit of EDH

Post by Jivanmukta » 4 years ago

I'm expecting new Gerrard and Gix. I'm hoping we don't see walker/legend partners.

RabidVacin

Post by RabidVacin » 4 years ago

Scarzam's Dragon to partner with Sivitri Scarzam. Oh sorry, I missed the part where the speculation should be realistic.
That card is bad and you should feel bad for playing it.

Exares

Post by Exares » 4 years ago

I'd love them to stop with 3-4-5 colors for one year. I'd rather have monocolored decks, or two-color decks.
Apathy is death.
Varina, Zombie Queen
Edgar, Family Reunion
Sefris, Dungeons of the Forgotten Realms
Jhoira, Legendary Artifacts
Old Rutstein, Graveyard Weirdness
Raphael & The Infernals
Yawgmoth, Phyrexia Forever
Selvala, Wild Stampede
Jace, Always Jace

Owlbear

Post by Owlbear » 4 years ago

I think it would be fantastic to actually have some Hybrid mana commanders in a C set.

However I've heard a rumour that we may see one with a dinosaur under theme and another with a new version of Xenagos as an optional commander.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Predictions

Each deck will end up with a new tribal legendary

One of the face commanders will either be gix or volrath and the other will be in the 99 (bonus prediction of volrath is the face commander the theme of his deck will be dimir theft)

We get a new and improved Gerrad

One deck will be naya and the theme will be “creatures you control want to be delt damage” and dinosaur tribal is the sub-theme with more new enrage dinosaurs

Some cards will foreshadow the new set coming in fall

We get more partner commanders

Atleast one or more deck will end up with the wedge colors despite core 2020

We get one or more ally color decks most particularly either dimir or rakdos or both

nobody

Post by nobody » 4 years ago

we are not going to get partners ever again.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

nobody wrote:
4 years ago
we are not going to get partners ever again.
That is unlikely considering that they were immensely popular when they came, so popular in fact that WotC used a tweaked version for battlebond.

My prediction: Experience Counters are about due for a return.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

I think if they give more aggressive reprints, the IDEA of last year ("underexplored themes") was a great one and one I'd like to see continue.

I'd love to get a Snow deck and a Colorless deck.

I'd love to see some under-explored tribes; Dinos, Apes, Wolves, Horses,

My fear, given Core 2020, is that it's going to be "iconics matter" and we're going to get Hydra, Sphinx, Angel, and Demon decks (no dragons since we already did).

TearsOfTomorrow

Post by TearsOfTomorrow » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
Hydra, Sphinx, Angel, and Demon
I'd sell my liver and both my lungs for a functioning Demon tribal commander.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Speculation”