Possible new Kamigawa set in the pipeline?

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Might want to check this

And it's domain is registered

https://www.godaddy.com/whois/results.a ... ynasty.com

If all of this is legit we may have won (however difference is might be a cyberpunk instead and remind the kamigawa we all know was 1000+ years ago in the lore)

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

Since the return to Kamigawa is rumored to be cyberpunk themed I wonder If Secret Lair x Gundam will become a thing? If Wizards of the Coast does do a Gundam crossover (and all other IP crossovers for that matter) I'd much rather prefer they distribute it the same way they did Godzilla in Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Possible new Kamigawa set indeed.

news
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
Possible new Kamigawa set indeed.

news
That is interesting if legit.

(One note though, few people apparently realize that Legends took place prior to the Ice Age. And thus the three Kamigawa sets took place prior to it as well, as a descendant to one of the main characters in Kamigawa was one of the main players in Nicol Bolas's defeat during Legends and the fall of his empire.)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

It's pretty sweet. I kinda have a love hate relationship with Kamigawa. As I was still super new to the game during that time period as I stared in 2004, I have a lot of nostalgia looking back at it and had fun learning at that time period, even if I didn't learn much for a while. However, when looking back at the set it seems so poorly designed, which kinda made people hate it from what I saw.

I'm still pretty hyped for a return to Kamigawa

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
It's pretty sweet. I kinda have a love hate relationship with Kamigawa. As I was still super new to the game during that time period as I stared in 2004, I have a lot of nostalgia looking back at it and had fun learning at that time period, even if I didn't learn much for a while. However, when looking back at the set it seems so poorly designed, which kinda made people hate it from what I saw.

It had great flavor, interesting characters, and a good story. But it was bogged down by overcosted cards (and those that weren't tended towards being busted, looking at you jitte.), over saturation of legends, nearly no creatures outside of the tribal themes, and mostly bad mechanics. It also had the misfortune of being stuck between the very overpowered Mirrodin, and one of the most beloved blocks of all time in the form of Ravnica. Ravnica actually saved the legendary card type from becoming hated by being a solidly built block with fun legendary creatures in moderation. Also, Sweep, seriously, whomever came up with that mechanic must feel really horrible about it, because it is literally the worst mechanic in the game, yes, I do consider it worse than Bands with, at least Bands with is situationally useful, while Sweep just mana screws you for a marginal benefit.

It wasn't until Dominaria we got a legendary focused set again, and Dominaria did everything right that Kamigawa did wrong.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago

It had great flavor, interesting characters, and a good story. But it was bogged down by overcosted cards (and those that weren't tended towards being busted, looking at you jitte.), over saturation of legends, nearly no creatures outside of the tribal themes, and mostly bad mechanics. It also had the misfortune of being stuck between the very overpowered Mirrodin, and one of the most beloved blocks of all time in the form of Ravnica. Ravnica actually saved the legendary card type from becoming hated by being a solidly built block with fun legendary creatures in moderation. Also, Sweep, seriously, whomever came up with that mechanic must feel really horrible about it, because it is literally the worst mechanic in the game, yes, I do consider it worse than Bands with, at least Bands with is situationally useful, while Sweep just mana screws you for a marginal benefit.

It wasn't until Dominaria we got a legendary focused set again, and Dominaria did everything right that Kamigawa did wrong.
You pretty much said it. First time in Kamigawa had several problems that were tied together. Being a weaker block in between an overpowered block for the most part (Mirrodin) and a well balanced, beloved block (Ravnica). There's also the problem that it had many themes that didn't fit well with block around in it such as spirit sub them and arcane spells (which I actually loved).

I also loved the flavour, which I hope they live up to next time around

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

I hate the idea of cyberpunk Kamigawa, personally. I hope it's all BS.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

motleyslayer wrote:
3 years ago
You pretty much said it. First time in Kamigawa had several problems that were tied together. Being a weaker block in between an overpowered block for the most part (Mirrodin) and a well balanced, beloved block (Ravnica). There's also the problem that it had many themes that didn't fit well with block around in it such as spirit sub them and arcane spells (which I actually loved).

I also loved the flavour, which I hope they live up to next time around
Don't get me wrong, the set had potential, and would have been a lot more liked if they dropped the CC of most cards by 1. It also had a few really good mechanics (Bushido and Ninjitsu being the standouts), and a few mechanics with potential (Splice being the primary one, glad it got brought back better in Modern Horizons), but the bad mechanics were just horrible. Here is a good spell, but if you play it you're screwed because you can't cast anything else for the rest of the game. Oh, and you still draw cards each turn, so you better not run out before your opponent or you lose (epic). Had someone actually stopped to think about it and put in some time to test the mechanics before they stuck them in there, the sets might have been better off. Heck, less than half a dozen creatures in each color that weren't one of the tribal themes, and a few rare nonlegendary creatures, and sets might be remembered more fondly. I think a do-over on Kamigawa should be allowed: Dropping the bad mechanics, using the MH version of Splice, adding a few good mechanics to replace the removed ones, putting ninjas in from the start, dropping Tendo Ice Bridge to common, spreading the tribes into a second color (possibly with some overlap), and putting in a cycle of build around me two-color uncommons, and fixing the CC of the existing spells (Jitte should be a little more expensive to both cast and equip, a lot of spells should have their CC dropped by 1 as mentioned earlier), and it could potentially have been a great set instead of the incredibly bad block we got.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 years ago

Oh boy

We're still winning the battle of the return of kamigawa

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 2 years ago

I hope they bring kamigawa back, it had so much wasted potential. :0

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

I really hope they stick to the Legends thematic whenever they return. I love legendary based sets

CommanderMaster999

Well now that I think about I have been seeing a lot of spirit tribal/powerful spirits lately. Plus innistrad is gonna show some tribal stuff

And it's a bit weird that red got a lot of tribal support even though spirits is lorehold s mascot (red spirit tribal support/lords hasn't happened since kamigawa.

Maybe they are prepping up?

Ps to clarify if you think the kamis/spirits are impossible in a cyberpunk world...wrong look at "shadow run" and "ghost in a shell"

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
2 years ago
Ps to clarify if you think the kamis/spirits are impossible in a cyberpunk world...wrong look at "shadow run" and "ghost in a shell"
That is a very literal interpretation of Ghost in Shell's themes, but I see your point lol.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

Ghost in the Shell magic the gathering style would be cool.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 2 years ago

It also allows Wizards to finally try and get in on that sweet Shadowrun money by publishing a spinoff Kamigawa RPG. Seriously, though, Catalyst has angered their fans deeply so they'd make at least a buck doing it.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 2 years ago

I want a return to Kamigawa more than anything. not like they did with time spiral. . ie no remaster. but go back and tell me how the Brothers Yamazaki are doing. Kami of the Crescent Moon all grown up. but I don't have my hopes up.

also on the steam punk tip, just watch the end of Korra (avatar Airbender show) its all totally steam punked.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
If it was a booster product, I'd buy two draft booster boxes, a set booster box, and a bundle. But then again, Ghost in the Shell: SAC is literally my favorite anime series.

CommanderMaster999

I can't say too much

But someone coming in may give even more possiblity of coming this return to kamigawa

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
If it was a booster product, I'd buy two draft booster boxes, a set booster box, and a bundle. But then again, Ghost in the Shell: SAC is literally my favorite anime series.
Shame about Origa

On a different note I think original Kamigawa block gets too harsh a rap sometimes. I'm not going to defend anything about it but it did help commander take off in the early days of that formats development. Many a time in the past 5 years have I looked to Kamigawa for some tech card or to build around a legend even if I didn't make the deck.

And the legend rule changes that came from that era really helped combat "I drop my bomb but if you play the same creature you cannot win" scenarios.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
On a different note I think original Kamigawa block gets too harsh a rap sometimes. I'm not going to defend anything about it but it did help commander take off in the early days of that formats development. Many a time in the past 5 years have I looked to Kamigawa for some tech card or to build around a legend even if I didn't make the deck.
Let's be entirely honest here, Kamigawa's flavor was top notch, and a couple of it's mechanics were good (Ninjutsu and Bushido), and some had potential (Splice, later redeemed.). But let's not mince words, the block was horrendously designed, filled with mostly overcosted cards and horrible mechanics (I mean, Sweep, really?), Could it be salvaged with a return? Yes, I believe it could, but it would mean toning down a lot of the things in the original set, or severely altering them.
Two of the originals major flaws was that outside of spirits, nearly every "tribe" was limited to just one color, I thought it was a mistake then, and I believe it is now. Shifting each of the major tribes (Akki Goblins, Kitsune Foxes, Moonfolk, Nezumi Rats, and Orochi Snakes) is a must. Some of these shifts are pretty obvious, the Akki could spread into either green or black without issue, Moonfolk into white, the Nezumi could spread into green due to their shamanistic roots, or if the Akki go green, spread into red. Kitsune should obviously spread into green, and the Orochi make sense if they spread into blue.
The Second mistake was way, way, way to many legends. There were so many legends that it almost killed off the creature type due to oversaturation, had they limited the uncommon legends to one per color and one per two color pair, and reduced the number of legendary creatures at rare to about half, it would have gotten over a lot better I think. There were so many legends that very few of them felt legendary or were memorable. So any return should severely limit the number of legendary creatures compared to the original. Something similar to Dominaria would be ideal.
One major problem of the original was that a lot of the creatures and spells were overcosted compared to what they did, this would not be a problem on a return, which is why I don't think a "fix" would be necessary.
That brings forth the last issue, mechanics. Only three mechanics of the original have any hope of returning, and one of those will not be in its original incarnation if it does: Bushido, Ninjutsu, and Splice. Bushido and Ninjutsu are a given, because it wouldn't be Kamigawa without Samurai and Ninja. If splice returns, it would be in the same form it had in Modern Horizons, because splice onto arcane is, well, terrible. Every other new mechanic in the original was either bad or just plain terrible. I could see a return have five or so mechanics total, with Bushido and Ninjutsu taking up two of the spots, it would make sense for Saga's to return as well, as they fit the flavor excellently. This could also set up historic, but if that makes an appearance, I think the total number of mechanics would be six rather than five. It all really depends on whether or not splice would return. The remaining spots would be taken up by new mechanics.
One (minor) flaw that OG Kamigawa had was the lack of tribal support in a set all about tribes. Outside of a handful of legendary permanents, there weren't really any tribal support at all, as such with a return I would expect at least one "lord" for each tribe, including Ninja and Samurai. I wouldn't necessarily expect a general "power/toughness" boosting tribal lord however. I would also expect a number of nontribal creatures in the set in the form of animals and mythical beasts of the far east.
Also, Spirit Dragons.
As for Planeswalkers, only one that makes 100% sense and would be a necessity is Tamiyo, but I could see a couple others make an appearance.

Edit: Also, I had no idea Origa had passed a few years ago. I am sad to hear about this, she had a great voice.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

Also there was the problem Kamigawa was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The block was underpowered, but not overwhelmingly so (i.e. Homelands or Mercadian Masques). It only appeared so because it came directly after Mirrodin, which was one of the strongest blocks of all time and even after bannings, dominated standard. In addition, after Kamigawa was the first Ravnica block, one of the most beloved blocks of all time, which made Kamigawa look worse by comparison. Which is a shame because I think Kamigawa/Ravnica standard was one of the best standards of all time.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

They gotta bring back Soulshift

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
Also there was the problem Kamigawa was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The block was underpowered, but not overwhelmingly so (i.e. Homelands or Mercadian Masques). It only appeared so because it came directly after Mirrodin, which was one of the strongest blocks of all time and even after bannings, dominated standard. In addition, after Kamigawa was the first Ravnica block, one of the most beloved blocks of all time, which made Kamigawa look worse by comparison. Which is a shame because I think Kamigawa/Ravnica standard was one of the best standards of all time.
You know, it irks me to no end that people call Homelands underpowered, it really wasn't. It suffered from the same thing that Fallen Empires did: Overprinting. There are multiple reasons why it wasn't a weak set:

The set had Memory Lapse and Merchant Scroll for starters, both are rather powerful cards. Additionally it had Serrated Arrows that became a staple of control decks as a source of colorless removal. The set also had Autumn Willow that was an untargetable 4/4 that was situationally targetable, that became a staple of Ehrna-geddon decks.

In addition to those cards, it had a 6/2 for 4 mana, a 3/3 for 2, several playable cantrips, a scalable tapdown spell, a blue flyer with protection from red, an artifact that lets you drop a minotaur onto the board from your hand at instant speed, an enchantment that stopped people from playing creatures, an artifact that made creatures more expensive to play, a 5/5 for 6 with protection (which was incredibly efficient for the time) and no drawback. And so on. The set was not weak, just overprinted. Compare it to the power of Alliances it was weak, yes, but compared to other sets at the time, it was above average in power level.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
They gotta bring back Soulshift
Ironically, imagine if it was Soulshift that impacted Kamigawa negatively.

I used to believe the reason why everything was so underpowered was because they overestimated the recursive power of soulshift.

These days, I'm not so sure.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Speculation”