Commander legends speculation

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Who are what do you expect to see in the upcoming commander draft set.

Oh minor theory I think it might be a love letter for those with the "legends" set (near alpha)

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

My (likely) hopes are Hal, Alenna and Bolas Gods before being Corrupted.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

What I want

Crucius the Mad (I think that's his name. He invented etherium)
The Fourth Sister
All Consuming Oni of Chaos
Cizasarm (gruul parun)
Redone Tariel
Redone Razia
Ghost Agrus Kos
Whatever the original golgari parun was (too lazy to look up name)
Redone Mishra
New Ashling
Kyodai (O-kagachi's "child")
That dagger that drains Mana from Agents of Artifice (Canon issues)
Something new about Emurakul in the moon

Know what, just gimme all the lore leftovers!
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 4 years ago

I'm hoping remakes of legendary creatures from Legends, as we saw with the Elder Dragons in M19:

Dakkon Blackblade in planeswalker form with new Richard Kane Ferguson art.
Bartel Runeaxe with stats to match his badass name & flavor.
Ramirez DePietro with new Phil Folgio art, because Pirates!
Jedit Ojanen update, because the mightiest of the Cat Warriors deserves better than being a 5/5 for seven mana.
Scarzam's Dragon from Sivitri Scarzam could use a card!

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Oh yea the four green ravnica paruns without cards.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

i wish they wouldn't create these weird draft variants a la conspiracy and battlebond - they end up so expensive and you rarely get to experience them cos the boosters largely get opened for singles by outlets and speculators! I expect the draft commander set will be designed mostly for people trying to be a shop, will have multiple mythics that mess up legacy in some way, be around 25% reprints of ok stuff, the battlebond duals and something like Idyllic Tutor and Pillar of the Paruns reprints with new art. A single legendary creature in the set will have a drawback and it'll be mono red. One card that says "toughness instead of power." there'll be an attempt at creating a horrible new Teferi''s Protection-like card that makes the constructed game more painful. a single new piece of card art by a cult artist they won't bring back for the standard sets. etc. we know the drill by now.

there's too much product! i'm still putting my eldraine cards in their boxes, hissss

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Would like to see:
- Esper Tezzeret
- Dimir, Blue, and Black legends that do new and interesting things
- a mono-green commander that makes me want to play mono-green (very subjective, I know)
- a mono-red commander that makes me want to play mono-red
- colors exploring things they are tertiary in more
- a Dimir colored board wipe
- a three mana board wipe (not required to be the same as above, but would be nice)
- quality reprints
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

On one hand, i want the nine titans...
On the other hand, i don't want too many pw commanders...
Mishra is surely there

Candlemane

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Would like to see:
- Esper Tezzeret
- a mono-green commander that makes me want to play mono-green (very subjective, I know)
- a three mana board wipe (not required to be the same as above, but would be nice)
- quality reprints
We have 3 mana board wipes, they just always have a fairly hefty drawback or narrowness to them. force of despair, breaking point, bontu's last reckoning, etc. I'm unsure if they will ever do one that's "good". I'd like to see the design space on a Dimir one, though. Should be interesting.
Paper EDH

Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Thalia and Gitrog

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Candlemane wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Would like to see:
- Esper Tezzeret
- quality reprints
We have 3 mana board wipes, they just always have a fairly hefty drawback or narrowness to them. force of despair, breaking point, bontu's last reckoning, etc. I'm unsure if they will ever do one that's "good". I'd like to see the design space on a Dimir one, though. Should be interesting.
Fair on the three mana board wipes. Forgot about them as I have not ever used them. For a Dimir wrath I can see something like:
Dimir Wrath 2UB
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures, then scry X where X is the number of creatures you control that were destroyed this way

If three mana:
3 mana Dimir Wrath 1UB
Sorcery
For each creature, its controller may pay 2 life. Destroy all creatures where the life was not paid.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Candlemane

Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Candlemane wrote:
4 years ago
Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Would like to see:
- Esper Tezzeret
- quality reprints
Fair on the three mana board wipes. Forgot about them as I have not ever used them. For a Dimir wrath I can see something like:
Dimir Wrath 2UB
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures, then scry X where X is the number of creatures you control that were destroyed this way

If three mana:
3 mana Dimir Wrath 1UB
Sorcery
For each creature, its controller may pay 2 life. Destroy all creatures where the life was not paid.
I like the ideas, but benefits don't start until CMC 5 usually (I would argue supreme verdict has upside for sure). The 4 CMC ones usually just destroy creatures, and the 3 CMC ones usually only negatively affect the caster somehow or are narrow (I forgot to mention dead of winter ).

So I'd say:
1UBB
Destory all creatures.
Scry 5

XUBB or XUB
Return each creature with CMC X or less to it's owners hand, then each opponent discards two cards.
OR
1UBB
For each player, choose one target nontoken creature. Exile those creatures until end of turn, and destroy all others.

I think the 4 CMC should definitely bring in some politics. It could be a real deal maker and it's akin to Time Wipe. However, it has some good potential as well since if a player is protecting something via Hexproot etc, you can't target it, giving you an out.

I choose to do BB in the cost because the destruction is the primary focus, but I'm not a card designer.

I could see Dimir having a XUB kind of wipe, something that would scale like that life payment one which I would really like.
Paper EDH

Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Thalia and Gitrog

worldsaverinc

Post by worldsaverinc » 4 years ago

Tribal commanders like Orzov Clerics, Mardu Minotaurs, Temur Hydras, etc.

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!

Post by Serpent_Steve » 4 years ago

Give me Taysir of damn Rabiah at last! Lol, I just want more cool stuff but I'd also appreciate more weirder Planeswalker designs (like the demonic leviathan that Nicol Bolas once faced off against) than human variants.

As for creatures give me huge deep dives into magic lore. Whilst I'm aware of most of the lore I really want some of the inclusions to surprise me. However I wouldn't mind a new versions of the Umezawa clan.

Maluko

Post by Maluko » 4 years ago

I went through the trouble of looking at the Commander strategies featured at EDHREC. Here is a list of the strategies/tribes that are currently missing a good commander, at least for some of its color combinations. Feel free to suggest more to the list!
Tribes
Show
Hide
Angels (Boros)
Beasts
Centaurs
Clerics
Demons (mono-black)
Dwarves (mono-red)
Gods
Golems
Gorgons
Humans (multicolor)
Illusions
Insects
Kavu
Myr
Oozes
Rogues
Samurai (Boros)
Shamans
Skeletons
Soldiers
Squirrels
Spirits
Werewolves
Wurms
Themes or Mechanics
Show
Hide
Clues
Cycling / card draw
Energy counters
Snow
Speed (Path of Mettle)

CommanderMaster999

Maluko wrote:
4 years ago
I went through the trouble of looking at the Commander strategies featured at EDHREC. Here is a list of the strategies/tribes that are currently missing a good commander, at least for some of its color combinations. Feel free to suggest more to the list!
Tribes
Show
Hide
Angels (Boros)
Beasts
Centaurs
Clerics
Demons (mono-black)
Dwarves (mono-red)
Gods
Golems
Gorgons
Humans (multicolor)
Illusions
Insects
Kavu
Myr
Oozes
Rogues
Samurai (Boros)
Shamans
Skeletons
Soldiers
Squirrels
Spirits
Werewolves
Wurms
Themes or Mechanics
Show
Hide
Clues
Cycling / card draw
Energy counters
Snow
Speed (Path of Mettle)
I heard a rumor we're getting a 5-colored god (in theros) from somebody and earlier he mentioned we're getting a commander Focused set for ones and here it is

So gods might be taken care of in theros beyond death since it could be true now since he got one thing right

By the way I know just the character(s) to do spirit tribal

Either kyodai or O-kagachi 2.0 ( the O-Karachi before that which was taken was stolen)

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

I'm hoping for...

Themes I Want:
- A good Snow commander other than Golos, Tireless Pilgrim (who is "snow" only in that he can fetch Scrying Sheets which needs a reprint anyways) and Heidar, Rimewind Master (who misses basically all the good snow cards).

- A good cycling Commander. One can build Varina or Zur or Anje as cycling decks but the results are less-than-satisfying; I want a Commander that REALLY pushes cycling. Base Orzhov preferred and after that I can see being equally excited by Mardu, Esper, and Abzan.

- A UGx Landfall commander. We have many, many good Landfall commanders but none of them enable the shenanigans of Retreat to Coralhelm and Meloku the Clouded Mirror. I know one can build the Meletis Bros, Yarok, or Derevi as landfall, but, again, with less-than-satisfying results as they aren't explicitly landfall based. I also know that Tatyova, Benthic Druid exists but I feel like two colors isn't QUITE enough to go deep on the theme. Meanwhile it's too easy for Golos to just be goodstuff. I'd prefer Bant so that I can run Knight of the Reliquary but am not opposed to any color combination.

- Some sort of ridiculous deck that makes Food, Treasure, AND Clues for fun and profit (I know we could build Rhys or Brudiclad around this theme, but I want something even sillier)

Tribes I Want:
- Boros or Mardu Samurai.

- Yeti tribal. For real.

- A "Glue" Commander that makes a Horse/Unicorn/Pegasus deck work and isn't silver-bordered.

- A good Werewolf commander (possibly Jund) that actually supports that tribe in EDH, a format where they historically struggle.

- A 5-color Spirits commander other than Morophon, the Boundless and O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami. I wouldn't complain about Abzan instead.

- Ooze tribal.

- Jund insects; Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest is powerful and Xira Arien exists but I want something more explicitly tribal.

CommanderMaster999

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
I'm hoping for...

Themes I Want:
- A good Snow commander other than Golos, Tireless Pilgrim (who is "snow" only in that he can fetch Scrying Sheets which needs a reprint anyways) and Heidar, Rimewind Master (who misses basically all the good snow cards).

- A good cycling Commander. One can build Varina or Zur or Anje as cycling decks but the results are less-than-satisfying; I want a Commander that REALLY pushes cycling. Base Orzhov preferred and after that I can see being equally excited by Mardu, Esper, and Abzan.

- A UGx Landfall commander. We have many, many good Landfall commanders but none of them enable the shenanigans of Retreat to Coralhelm and Meloku the Clouded Mirror. I know one can build the Meletis Bros, Yarok, or Derevi as landfall, but, again, with less-than-satisfying results as they aren't explicitly landfall based. I also know that Tatyova, Benthic Druid exists but I feel like two colors isn't QUITE enough to go deep on the theme. Meanwhile it's too easy for Golos to just be goodstuff. I'd prefer Bant so that I can run Knight of the Reliquary but am not opposed to any color combination.

- Some sort of ridiculous deck that makes Food, Treasure, AND Clues for fun and profit (I know we could build Rhys or Brudiclad around this theme, but I want something even sillier)

Tribes I Want:
- Boros or Mardu Samurai.

- Yeti tribal. For real.

- A "Glue" Commander that makes a Horse/Unicorn/Pegasus deck work and isn't silver-bordered.

- A good Werewolf commander (possibly Jund) that actually supports that tribe in EDH, a format where they historically struggle.

- A 5-color Spirits commander other than Morophon, the Boundless and O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami. I wouldn't complain about Abzan instead.

- Ooze tribal.

- Jund insects; Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest is powerful and Xira Arien exists but I want something more explicitly tribal.
He might see all of those actually spirit is the most likely of the bunch

As matter of fact I know which old lore character For the job for spirit tribal (Besides a second version of O-kagachi)

Kyodai
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Kyodai

She's literally part of O-kagachi (the power of O-Karachi) plus he did mention the first version was after he lost her

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

This is my wishlist for commander. Let's see after the set will be released how many of these will i check
SPOILER
Show
Hide
tribal:
- elf (selesnya or abzan)
- jund goblin
- jund dragon
- merfolk (bant or sultati)
- grixis zombie
- angel (azorius or bant)
- sphinx (esper)
- sultai ooze
- spirit (golgari, abzan or penta)
- naya beast
- samurai (boros or mardu)
- eldrazi (jund, grixis or sultai)
- naya dinosaur (maybe toughness oriented)
- grixis pirate (more control/recursion oriented than brass)
- mardu vampires (less broken than edgar markov)
mechanics:
- jund hellbent
- snow
- landfall
- sultai infect
- abzan enchantress/constellation
- bant clue/investigate
- energy
- mardu vehicle
- cycling discard
- deserts
- explore
- grixis amass
- sultai food

CommanderMaster999

Finishing the krosan verge cycle perhaps

Watchwolf

Post by Watchwolf » 4 years ago

I'm interested to see what the rules of the format are, because that's gonna give us an idea of what kind of mechanics we might see.

For example, if the color identity rule is still in place, I could see partner coming back and appearing on a large percentage of monocolored and dualcolored commanders, especially at lower rarity, to give drafters more choice of availabile colors at the end of the draft.

If the color identity rule is removed, which I think is likely given how restrictive it is for a draft format, then partner wouldn't play as much of a role, though I would still like to see it return.

They could also tweak the color identity rule so that you can only produce mana of your commander's colors, but you can have any card you want in the deck. That would open up a lot of space for hybrid cards to help smooth out commander selection.

Card limit and deck size are also interesting to think about. I can't imagine the 100 card singleton deck model will stick around.

I am very interested to see what kind of new mechanics show up too.

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Watchwolf wrote:
4 years ago
For example, if the color identity rule is still in place, I could see partner coming back and appearing on a large percentage of monocolored and dualcolored commanders, especially at lower rarity, to give drafters more choice of availabile colors at the end of the draft.

If the color identity rule is removed, which I think is likely given how restrictive it is for a draft format, then partner wouldn't play as much of a role, though I would still like to see it return.
While I also think that the particular rules are going to be very relevant to how set mechanics will be considered, partner actually seems like it will be generally more interesting in Limited than Constructed whether there is an enforced color identity or not, so that particular mechanic seems appropriate either way.
Card limit and deck size are also interesting to think about. I can't imagine the 100 card singleton deck model will stick around.
Card limit never applied to Limited. You can have any number of copies of a card if you manage to draft enough. And deck sizes usually are smaller. The larger boosters will probably mean decks larger tan 40 cards, but not triple digit either.

CommanderMaster999

I think Ashnod will get a card

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

A metric buttload of reprints or I riot. :)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

I fully expect to see several commander staples, such as Command Tower, Rhystic Study, and Sol Ring for example.

I half expect to see a few sorely needed reprints, including, but not limited to Mana Vault (not on the reserved list), and the Mirage block tutors, including Vampiric Tutor.

I would not be surprised to see a few cards that aren't exactly "power house" cards, but that do see some play in commander due to their general usefulness, such as repeatable abilities. So reprints with buyback and flashback are likely.

What I really, really want to see that is neither over powered nor expensive: The Mirage Fetches and the Tempest Painlands (reprinted at uncommon).

I would be surprised in the set did not include at least one rare cycle of dual lands, a full cycle of ten triple lands (Alara and Tarkir), and a set of common duals that are not guildgates, as well as a lot of color fixing.

The set will probably also include basic lands, including wastes with new art, just because people have been asking for it for a while and it would be a good place to put them.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CommanderMaster999

I'm starting to think about we might get a third versions of all 3 known eldrazi titans in this for colorless

But this time all eldrazi tribal and heck maybe partner with each one with each other

Also yea we can without a doubt expect partner commanders

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Speculation”