Commander legends speculation

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Well, by now we can be fairly certain that this is the product in which the Onslaught and Zendikar fetches get reprinted in. We've been told they are coming this year, they'll be in a booster product that won't be standard legal, and that they aren't in Double Masters, so that leaves Commander Legends as the only logical option, unless they release another masters product in December...
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

I still think commander legends will get a print run no different to a suppalment set not masters sets print run size set despite those reprints and a foil in each pack

Anyway jumpstart and core 2021 fill in the blanks for a few Themes/tribes

Tribes
Unicorns
Minotaurs
Devils
Dogs
Shrines

Themes
Flying
Dimir aristocrat
Mono black discard
Lab manaic legend
Fight/lure
Earthquake (gadrak)
Mono blue bounce/flicker (Barrin)

I think they are getting missing stuff out of the way so they don't have to do it in commander legends

So im getting more certain about a spirit tribal legend in commander legends
(In other words a O-kagachi 2.0/kyodai/sisters of flesh/or all 3 or whatever

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

I'd like to see a Boros commander that addresses the weaknesses of the color. Something like, "Red spells you cast cost 1 less to cast. White spells you cast cost 1 less to cast. Whenver you cast a spell that is red and white, draw a card." I also think Nahiri, the Harbinger as a commander would work.

Also, I'd be down for a Kavu Commander, but Morophon fills the gaps for tribes without commanders. A fun Kavu commander would be something like, "Whenever a Kavu you control enters the battle field choose one:

-it deals damage to target creature equal to its power.
-draw a card."
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

I want reprints galore. Like, a ton of great ones. There's specific ones I want, but I don't have a collection big enough to be picky so I will take whatever solid reprints they can throw my way.

I'd also love to see Ashnod.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

CommanderMaster999

Place your bets we're getting a couple of card reveals on the 22nd

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

New Stuff I Want:
  • Snow Commander
  • Curses Commander
  • Black-bordered Squirrels
  • 1/1 Green Hippo Tokens (either from a Questing Phelddagrif reprint or a new Phelddagrif!)
  • More support for Unicorns, Dogs, Devils, Dwarves, Birds, and Insects (better/alternative commanders, more creatures and payoffs, etc).
  • A good Boros, Mardu, Nayu, or WGBR Samurai Tribal commander
  • A better Gruul or Jund Wolf/Werewolf commander option
  • More "Voting" mechanics (either new cards with Will of the Council or more cards with Council's Dilemma, or a totally new mechanic that still interacts interestingly with Illusion of Choice)
  • More "Experience Counters", especially non-legendary cards that gain Experience in order to make Commanders with Experience better.
I suspect we'll get only a few of those - but am optimistic we'll get a few.

I hope we don't get a lot of really broad Partners - I actually don't want any more generic "Partner" that are like Vial Smasher the Fierce and I'm terrified we'll get something like "Partners with White Legends" or "Partners with Golems" that's going to be really obnoxious. Partners more in the vein of Pako, Arcane Retriever / Haldan, Avid Arcanist are great, but broad blanket partners are a little bit too ubiquitous and easy. I'm sure that is tempting design space but do not want. I also suspect we will get more Eminence and more Planeswalker Commanders (the teaser image is clearly Jeska, Warrior Adept and we know she was a 'walker at some point so I have no doubt we're getting her in 'walker form with "Can be your Commanader"), but I hope we don't get any eminence and that we get just the bare minimum of 4-5 Planeswalker Commanders.

I want reprints of all the staples, even recently reprinted staples like Rift, Study, Swords. I think the most obscure card I want a reprint for is Flickering Ward; drives me nuts to not have one with the updated wording. I also want lots of Mill so that it is keyworded as Mill: Altar of Dementia, Traumatize, Memory Erosion, Sphinx's Tutelage, Grindstone. I'm also all about new card face/new art for fun stuff, so looking through the sets of my "formative years" (Urza's Saga → Scourge), a few cards in need of a first-time accessible black border new card face printing are...
Reprints Please!
Approximate Total Cost:

I don't expect all that either - that'd be most of the reprint slots for the set and some of those are $$$ and we already basically know we're getting Fetchlands which is a lot of the EV for packs - but at least a third of it would make me smile.
Last edited by Hawk 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
Place your bets we're getting a couple of card reveals on the 22nd
Calling it now, it's the fetchlands, but not just the Zendikar ones, but all 10.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CommanderMaster999

Baron sengir is one of the few cards that's gonna be shown tomorrow probably the other 3 known art cards as well

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Yesssss....

The Dark Baron finally returns to MTG.

Remember, this is a character that not one, not two, but *three* Oldwalkers had problems dealing with. He is not a weak person, but one of the oldest, most powerful vampires in the multiverse, and the progenitor of the entire Sengir vampire clan (And he is not an Ulgrotha native, he's originally from somewhere else, probably Dominaria considering the Sengir clans prevalence there.)

Zazdor

Post by Zazdor » 3 years ago

Krishnath, I had forgotten that the Baron was not native to Ulgrotha. I definitely recall his mysterious portal (which I had always assumed led to Dominaria), but had thought his clan spread to Dominaria via the portal. Was he summoned to Ulgrotha and left there by a Planeswalker?

I'm looking forward to perusing all the legends this set contains to feed my inner younger self from the pre-Mending days!

CommanderMaster999

Only sad part no 4 to 5 color legends who well
(Good news is zendikar rising is likely to have new 4-color legends based on omnath)

But omg edhrec is gonna to explode like a nuke

1,540 combinations of partners plus all original partners with each ones of the 40

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 3 years ago

I just want to say that I'm very happy the first previewed cards of the set are NOT broken. That gives me hope they will not try to sell the set with obvious auto-includes for the format or broken commanders. Especially now that they have decided to expand the partner mechanic, which has been severely criticized before.

CommanderMaster999

Well yawgmoth phyrexian is clearly mono black If here but brace for impact he's gonna get the same complaints O-Kagachi got (underpowered) And especially with partner which is idiotic with him because partner a good guy/someone against him

And why do I have a feeling the eldrazi titans will be here with partner

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Do we know how many Partners we're getting? I think a cycle of uncommons would be more than enough, though I never liked the mechanic much to begin with.

CommanderMaster999

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
Do we know how many Partners we're getting? I think a cycle of uncommons would be more than enough, though I never liked the mechanic much to begin with.
The answer is 40 and all of them are mono colored

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Zazdor wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath, I had forgotten that the Baron was not native to Ulgrotha. I definitely recall his mysterious portal (which I had always assumed led to Dominaria), but had thought his clan spread to Dominaria via the portal. Was he summoned to Ulgrotha and left there by a Planeswalker?

I'm looking forward to perusing all the legends this set contains to feed my inner younger self from the pre-Mending days!
He was summoned there by Ravi's master before Ravi rung the bell that wiped out 99,9% of all life on the plane. And it was eventually he that got her out of the obelisk she had sealed herself in to protect her from the effects of the Apocalypse Bell. Ravi was of course completely insane by then and had forgotten that she was a planeswalker, so the Baron started calling her Grandmother because he thought it was funny.

Yes, that means that Baron Sengir is so powerful that he survived the magical nuke that killed a dozen oldwalkers and 99.9% of all life on Ulgrotha.

Edit: Anyone have a link to a copy of the stream, I sadly missed it because I had other things going on that needed attending to, and the link on Channelfireball only goes to their twitch page that is currently showing a livestreamed commander duel.

Zazdor

Post by Zazdor » 3 years ago

Re: Ravi and Baron. Weren't they featured in a story called "A Song of Rats" in the Secrets of Magic anthology?

I just looked it up: "A Song for the Plague Rats." Baron and Ravi met as children. Thinking back now, I always justified that they were each swooped up by a different planeswalker and were "reunited" on Ulgrotha, but the stories seem a bit conflicting.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Zazdor wrote:
3 years ago
Re: Ravi and Baron. Weren't they featured in a story called "A Song of Rats" in the Secrets of Magic anthology?

I just looked it up: "A Song for the Plague Rats." Baron and Ravi met as children. Thinking back now, I always justified that they were each swooped up by a different planeswalker and were "reunited" on Ulgrotha, but the stories seem a bit conflicting.
Ravi had the spark, Baron didn't. He became a powerful vampire, she became the apprentice to another planeswalker who was part of a group of planeswalkers. Said group came into conflict with another group of planeswalkers and they battled on Ulgrotha, which was then overflowing with mana. The battle went poorly for the side Ravi was on, and her master summoned the Baron, however it was to little to late and as a desperation move Ravi rung the Apocalypse Chime.

And that is pretty much the beginning of the official backstory of the set.

Then there is the bit with the dwarves, the Baron, and the fallen princess. And then Serra and Feroz. Then Sandruu, Kristina and Taysir. Then Eron, Reveka, and the Book. The deaths of Feroz and Serra. And then finally Taysir's resurrection, absolution, and his apprenticing of Daria.

(And yes, I am still salty about Urza's outright murder of Taysir. It was the move that forever cemented Urza as a villain in my book.)

CommanderMaster999

I looked through the cards ally fetchlands are crunched out by Vault of Champions look at the number 360/361 and two of the ally fetchlands start with "W" so you can't put in all 5

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

3 years ago
I looked through the cards ally fetchlands are crunched out by Vault of Champions look at the number 360/361 and two of the ally fetchlands start with "W" so you can't put in all 5
That's all well and good, but what we were promised was the enemy fetch lands. We were explicitly told when they released the box that they would be coming in a nonstandard legal booster product later this year. And since they weren't in double masters (likely because it would have pissed of people even more than it already did), and they can't be in Zen Rising, they logically need to be in Commander Legends unless there is a surprise product they haven't revealed yet.

CommanderMaster999

Alright October 12th is the date for spoiler season

It's at that time for final bets

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

I dodged all ZNR spoilers cos I wanted to open some for myself and surprise myself, but I don't care about this Commander set all that much. Still putting my own first commander deck together while having misgivings about the whole concept. I'm just glad I can tag on to some discussions about new cards for a change. I'll probably be dodging Kaldheim and Forgotten Realms spoilers too!

As someone who cares about the capabilities of casual cards when they're used as full playsets, "Partner with" is more exciting than Partner to me so this is kind of a set where I barely care about any of the flagship cards - "Partner with" still has text even when your format doesn't use the command zone. What I'm hoping for is interesting lands (the Luxury Suites are boring but good lands which will end up costing money and which mostly have really bad names; what I mean is stuff like new man-lands or peculiar wedge lands like Bosk), interesting artifacts that aren't necessarily rocks, cards that say win or lose the game on them and generally cards that skirt the line between traditional and silver-bordered card design. I feel like there's a lot of brilliant themes in Unstable that could be refitted and sold as something allowable in the more serious world of Commander and I'd benefit if it happened.
sorta mad at magic right now

NZB2323

With us getting the battlebond lands in enemy colors, I also hope we get enemy commands. Something like:

Zurgo's Command 2wB
Choose 2
-target creature you control gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn
-destroy target artifact or enchantment
-destroy target creature
-draw 2 cards and lose 2 life

Anafenza's Command GB
Choose 2
-target creature gains deathtouch until end of turn
-search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand
-target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn
-target creature gains trample until end of turn

Surrack's Command RU
Chose 2
-deals 2 damage to any target
-creatures you control gain haste until end of turn
-scy 3
-draw a card

Narset's Command 1RW
Chose 2
-discard your hand, then draw that many cards
-deals 2 damage to each creature
-each player draws a card for every card target opponent draws this turn
-if you hand less lands than an opponent, search your library for a plains card and put it onto the battlefield

Sidisi's Command 3GU
Chose 2
-counter target legendary spell
-return all artifacts to their owner's hands
-each creature you control gains "tap: this creature fights another target creature" until end of turn
-put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

CommanderMaster999

8 partners of each color for the mono colored legends

I feel like it could be 20 two color legends (2 of each Color combo ) and 10 3-color legends (1 of each color combo'

NZB2323

3 years ago
Alright October 12th is the date for spoiler season

It's at that time for final bets
If we're supposed to get spoiler today, where are they?
Current Decks

Retired Decks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Speculation”