Commander 2020 speculations

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

I know this is so early it's not even funny but just thought I would post it so we could have fun for ideas

It's what the theme will be next year what color combos vice ecetra

AliasBot
Pronoun: he / him

Post by AliasBot » 4 years ago

I haven't the foggiest idea what the themes might be, but color combos are a fair bit easier to make predictions about, given that it mostly just involves looking back at the last few Commander products. (I have already put a lot of thought into this, because I find this sort of pattern completion really satisfying to work through in my head, so this will get...rather long.)

Since the switch from five decks to four with C17, not a single color combo has been repeated across multiple decks. There have been at least two three-color decks every year, and at least one two-color deck, with the fourth slot being filled by a five-color deck in C17 and additional three-color decks in C18 and C19. That means eight of the ten three-color combos and three of the ten two-color combos have been covered under the four-deck system.

So, first off, if I was a betting person, I would absolutely bet something on C20 having a Temur deck and an Abzan deck, as those are the only three-color combinations that haven't been covered under the current system. After that, things get trickier, but I'd guess that either both of the other two decks will be two-color combinations, or one will be a two-color combo and the other will be either colorless, monocolor, or maybe another five-color deck. (I suppose they could also just give that slot to another Grixis or Mardu deck and start the cycle going again, but I'm inclined to assume that the Commander product designers would rather tie off an extended cycle than maintain an imbalance, if only because that's what I'd do.)

Monocolor decks could go in any direction (save for maybe mono-Green, as that's the one color the two remaining tricolor combos share), but the options for two-color pairs are much narrower, as they would likely be restricted to pairs that both haven't been covered since prior to C17 (or haven't been covered in a commander product at all, in the case of the remaining ally pairs) and aren't contained fully within either Temur or Abzan colors (on the basis that that would just be redundant, and that none of the two-color decks since C17 have matched both of their colors with any one other deck in their set - the Cats deck is technically an exception, but that's just because the Dragons deck was five-color, and it wasn't exactly base-GW). The first criterion knocks out Selesnya, Izzet, and Rakdos. The second knocks out Gruul, Simic, Orzhov, and Golgari. That leaves Azorius, Dimir, and Boros. If there are two two-color decks, color balance pretty much guarantees that those two would be Dimir and Boros, as that would mean every color gets represented exactly twice in the four C20 decks. If the fourth deck is a wild card, and there's only one two-color deck, any of the three pairs would be on the table.

tl;dr: my color combo predictions for C20 are Temur, Abzan, Dimir, and Boros, though I'd only consider the two wedges to be locks.
“The true measure of all heroes is not what they achieve, but who they inspire.”
—Triumph of Gerrard

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

C18 and C19 were variations on each other - nostalgia legends for various play-styles, with new cards which feel like they're pushing their luck, power-wise. I think C20 will go in a slightly different direction and seek new gimmicks. One of the decks will be led either by a Callow Jushi-style flip legend or by a legendary Vehicle and cue an officiality argument. One of the decks will be domain-style five colour green. We'll see a card that counters cards with the word "commander" on them. They'll do an Azra tribal deck. or something!

As much as I personally like all the recent Legends they've been doing in these precon decks I don't think they can extend the formula another year; they'll find the need to surprise us more important.

Melriken

Post by Melriken » 4 years ago

I think for 2020 they will repeat a color grouping just to make it clear that they aren't sticking 100% to pattern, it won't be a 2019 combo, but my guess is it won't be a 2017 combo either to show that they won't be repeating the earlier combos due to always doing the ones that haven't been done in the longest.

I also agree that it is time for something new like Planeswalker commanders were, or experience counter commanders, or imminence commanders... my guess (and I expect to be wrong) are non-creature commanders. Things like The Grand Calcutron but with the 'This may be your commander' text. No more than one of these will be a vehicle, but could be a sweet commander if done right.

It is possible that one of the decks will feature 3 transform cards (double faced cards) as the commanders (foils) but I doubt it. Flip cards like Jushi Apprentice will be reprinted if they fit the decks but will NOT be used on new cards. Note that there is no official debate on the legality of Callow Jushi, Jushi Apprentice or Bushi Tenderfoot as commanders, they are NOT legal as commanders. If wizards wanted to print something like that as a commander they would include the text 'This may be your commander' and that wouldn't create any debate either.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

I suspect a return to Tribal. It's one of the most popular things, and fairly low-hanging fruit. The 2017 Commanders were insanely popular and Yuriko and Varina are among the most popular commanders from the weaker 2018 year. Herald's Horn and Path of Ancestry are out of control and the reprints didn't actually help Urza's Incubator any; we're also due for a Metallic Mimic reprint.

I am going to predict that the reason we didn't get any uber-tribal Commanders this year (in the decks, since we did just get Ayula and Morophon in Modern Horizons and a new elemental-focused Omnath in Core 2020) is that we're going to get a full-out tribal blitz next year. They will do all new tribes, and will work to repeat some color combinations (especially ones with very little representation). In the interest of making it real interesting, I'd wager we'll see 5-color Angels, Naya Dinosaurs, Mardu Warriors (possibly Warrior/Berserker/Barbarian tribal with a Lovisa Coldeyes reprint and a new face commander to merge them up), and Simic or Sultai Snakes/Nagas (with the face Commander merging the disparate tribes).

And for extra possible egg on my face, these tribes will be chosen in anticipation of a return to Innistrad (with the appearance of the missing Orzhov Angel) and a first visit to a Viking plane (with a heavy emphasis on Warriors, Barbarians, Berserkers, and Valkyries/Angels).

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Yeah, I can see tribal again; there are many tribes in EDH that decks can be made for that are, perhaps, on the cusp but not quite there yet in terms of power. (I'm thinking of Knights first and foremost.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Melriken

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
I suspect a return to Tribal.
Seems reasonable.
Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
In the interest of making it real interesting, I'd wager we'll see 5-color Angels, Naya Dinosaurs, Mardu Warriors [...], and Simic or Sultai Snakes/Nagas (with the face Commander merging the disparate tribes).
5-color angels - unlikely but possible... there really isn't enough angle support outside mardu for this to happen.
Naya dinosaurs - nope, they are going to push tribes in new directions not make new commanders for decks that already exist.
Mardu warriors - nope, see Dinos
Simic/Sulti snake/naga - possible, would be a wildcard pick, but has a strong following so possible.
Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
And for extra possible egg on my face, these tribes will be chosen in anticipation of a return to Innistrad (with the appearance of the missing Orzhov Angel) and a first visit to a Viking plane (with a heavy emphasis on Warriors, Barbarians, Berserkers, and Valkyries/Angels).
We are more likely to get the BW angel in Commander than innistrad... by a LOT. (More than 100 to 1)

My wishlist
Black white Rebels (tribe needs a Commander, would actually merge mercenary (make a commander that searches for rebels or mercenaries, include both in the deck with a nee legend for each))
Mardu Knight or angel
Naya sliver - legendary sliver not 5 color
Simic+ Naga/snake
Izzet+ artifact tribe (myr, servo or thopter (the last two push uwr which was just used))

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

For tribes, I am thinking the following:

Orzhov Angels: We still crave the black/white angel sister from Innstrad, and Selenia is due for a new card as an important character in the Weatherlight saga. It is also the two primary angel colors, and lets face it, Mardu Angels already has a commander since the first commander set in the form of Kaalia. (sure, she works with demons and dragons as well, but that is besides the point.)

Abzan Elves: We need a GBW tribal elf something fierce, for added fun to guarantee that the deck will sell like hotcakes, reprint Doran in the deck, and have a high toughness subtheme.

I really want to say five color slivers, but I am not going to, as we just got two commanders that are perfect for the tribe in Modern Horizons.

I think the "Dark Horse" of the set is going to be Jund Orcs or Jund Goblins, possibly a deck containing both. With a reprint of Orcish Healer, just because.

Final deck is going to be a monoblue illusion deck, and it will be the most over powered of the four decks.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Melriken

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Abzan Elves
Good call
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
I really want to say five color slivers, but I am not going to, as we just got two commanders that are perfect for the tribe in Modern Horizons.
There is a premium deck for 5 color slivers, and it is something with lots of Commander options, I think a three color legendary sliver (and I would think Naya) is far more likely.
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
I think the "Dark Horse" of the set is going to be Jund Orcs or Jund Goblins, possibly a deck containing both. With a reprint of Orcish Healer, just because.

Final deck is going to be a monoblue illusion deck, and it will be the most over powered of the four decks.
i could see Jund goblins, maybe with dragons... but I would MUCH rather see kobolds... as for the illusions please no... just no

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Melriken wrote:
4 years ago
There is a premium deck for 5 color slivers, and it is something with lots of Commander options, I think a three color legendary sliver (and I would think Naya) is far more likely.
I don't think we are ever going to get a three color legendary sliver, because it would make a lot of MTG players very, very, very angry. I am talking M14/M15 sliver art levels of angry, and WotC do not want to open that copy of Pandora's Box again. People were still angry about that until we got the new slivers in Modern Horizons where the slivers looked like slivers again instead of alien dogs. It is literally *the* iconic five color tribe.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CommanderMaster999

Well for a 5-color tribe if tribal is happening again

Come on people from all the tribes not one suggested spirits

Only red is minor with spirit creatures that are useful in spirit support tribal and quite a bit are still good
And Glitterfang for looping cast triggers since they have the same trick as eldrazi from Kamigawa but for spirit tribal

And as for O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami no that's not a spirit tribal legend because it doesn't support the creature most perfect tribal legend has a lord/ability that buffs the creature type it was for the dragon focused deck and fans were quite furious O-Kagachi is underpowered base of the lore and final judgement a second chance to make a better and spirit tribal support version of O-kagachi

And not to mention with spirit tribal you can do almost any sub-theme with spirits
Lifegain, token, stands, combat, legendary, blink/flicker, +1/+1, pillow fort, artisocrat, mill, discard, draw/wheel, even spell slinger and a couple of ramp spirits

Oh and as for other color combos and tribes if that's the theme

Abzan elves

Temur elementals (yes I'm aware of Omnath, locus of roil but can you real find any other option of tribe for temur besides there's one mistake you guys made you claim trIves that already have a legend can't get one guys you already forgot about vampires and wizards Olivia Voldaren for vampires which adds white vampires and Azami, Lady of Scrolls which adds rakdos for vampires)

And for the out of the blue tribe sultai rouge or fairies (yes I'm sure throne of eldraine will handle a fairy legend but maro said that set is not fairy focused)

Oh I would said knight but 2 reasons one that's mardu and we got that in 2017 second and I'm 90% sure throne of eldraine will end are wait for a atleast mardu colored knight tribal legend

Melriken

I would love to see a setup with two color (ally) and mono-color partner commanders... 10 partners across 4 decks means two partners in 2 decks and 3 in 2 decks

A BR and W set of partners could lead a Mardu deck, a BR and RG set of partners could lead a Jund deck or even a BR and G pair, an Orzhov deck could have a pair of mono color partners, and an Azorius deck could have a WU partner and both a W and a U partner. Note those color sets were chosen at random, the intention was only to show a wedge, an arch, an enemy pair, and an ally pair.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

There's also Eidolon of the Great Revel, Kami of Fire's Roar, Orc Gorger, Sandstorm Eidolon, Skyfire Kirin, Soul of Magma, and Yuki-Onna

Yeah, you can actually look at "spirit or arcane" and find a whole bunch of things that can be used in spirit tribal.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Cow31337Killer
Answers: 1

Post by Cow31337Killer » 4 years ago

Hot Take: There won't BE a Commander 2020

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Cow31337Killer wrote:
4 years ago
Hot Take: There won't BE a Commander 2020
Ahahah come on, they are %$#% the products, but not that much yet

Also i pretend my abzan and temur precon

CommanderMaster999

Well I can point this out if tribal happens again and spirit is chosen and 5-color it will be a second version of O-kagachi

CommanderMaster999

Ok the Ikoria decks is commander 2020 so the theme is Ikoria

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago
Ok the Ikoria decks is commander 2020 so the theme is Ikoria
And that is just the five first decks, we also get two with Zendikar Rising.

CommanderMaster999

Welp bring this thread back up

Since the theme is Ikoria and looks like a creatures with a persudo eldrazi so let's get started

1# I predict the set will be creature focused so I bet one of the decks will be on par with Animar, soul of elements but not as broken but can still get big creatures out faster than normal decks and possibly adding wb

2# one deck will be gur (temur) and another will be wbg (abzan) and it's very very simple to why those are the only 3 color combos left not done ever since the announcement of no more color themed decks

3# one deck will be a tribal for the behemoths (or whatever type it is) and I think that might be are temur deck as well since the sea monsters and giant creatures are vast majority of the time in those colors

4# we will see old lore characters despite the theme just not as many as usually get in commander sets

5# since big creatures are a thing we will see lots of new ramp cards and cost reductions not possible in standard

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

Aren't the Ikoria decks gonna be Brawl?

CommanderMaster999

BeneTleilax wrote:
4 years ago
Aren't the Ikoria decks gonna be Brawl?
Nope

They said they are commander decks rather than brawl and they also said those decks are gonna esstionally play the role of commander 2020 and they going back to the 5 deck

And zendikar set coming up is doing it too but it's only 2 decks and the commander legends (the worlds first commander format focused set in history) has another 2 decks and the reprints in zendikar and legends decks actually all the cards are reprints except for the new commanders

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2019-10-30

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Speculation”