I'm getting logged out regularly

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

As of a month or two ago, I've been getting logged out regularly as I check in on the forum. For example, signing in today:

Oh hey, the landing page! Let's check out one of the forums I follow.

Weird, nothing's unread... oh, I got logged out again, that'd be it.

I check in on these forums once or twice a day. This seems to happen on both my phone (Android 11, Firefox latest) and PC (Windows 10, Firefox latest) every day or two. It's always the same: I visit, I'm logged in and see read/unread, I navigate to another part of the forum, I'm logged out and nothing is unread.

I'm happy to help out with any diagnostics y'all would need.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

This has been happening to me too. It's really NBD, as I have my credentials saved in my browsers but I'm super curious as to what's triggering the double login phenomenon.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

I had this same issue a year ago:

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=23587

It was working fine for a long time and it just recently came back for me as well. It is actually worse than before as I am seeing the same thing spacemonaut is seeing with getting logged out navigating the site. That is, I will come back and find I have been logged out. So, I log in and see I have some notifications. I click on one to open in a new tab and that tab opens up and says I need to sign back in. I then refresh the main page and I have been logged out. This happens less than a minute after having just logged in.

And then I almost always have to log back in when coming back to the site from an extended absence. And by "extended" I mean "after waking up in the morning". Or just coming back after a few hours away.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 2 years ago

Aye, I fixed the previous culprit last year, but now it's a cloudflare → phpbb issue.

I've adjusted some settings which should hopefully fix the issue.
Please let me know if this works or if you're still having issues.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

joining in a bit on this, as it was my recurring problem a few days ago as well. Automatically getting logged out after a few hours from Mtgnexus.. for sure it's not my browser.. because logged in to Mtgsalvation, Animesuki, Myanimelist, and several other forums as well -- not getting auto logged out from them. :thinking:

It's a bit of a tiresome chore having to log in every time I visit here.
Luckily, the problem seems to have been fixed now. Thanks for the fix Feyd. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

WizardMN

I just had this issue pop up again when trying to get to this thread. I found I had been logged out overnight so I logged back in and opened new tabs to see my notifications and I immediately got logged back out again. I had to log back in again to navigate to the threads.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

problem is back for me as well. Logged out when came back here.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

I've disabled cloudflare.
Let me know if that fixes it now.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

I've just visited and found myself logged out. Are we sure this has to do with cloudflare?

This always happens on the second page load for me. The first is fine, the second is logged out. It would make a lot of sense to me if that first page load was deleting the cookie, or altering it to make it have a timespan that's way too short, or otherwise puts it in such a state that the second page load will reject it. Do the servers have their clock set correctly in sync?

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
I've just visited and found myself logged out. Are we sure this has to do with cloudflare?

This always happens on the second page load for me. The first is fine, the second is logged out. It would make a lot of sense to me if that first page load was deleting the cookie, or altering it to make it have a timespan that's way too short, or otherwise puts it in such a state that the second page load will reject it. Do the servers have their clock set correctly in sync?
No, definitely not positive about cloudflare, but it was the only major change that's happened lately and cloudflare is known to cause these issues at times.

We're only on one server, but you bring up a valid point. If it's still on going it wouldn't be cloudflare and a cookie issue is more likely. Of note, i never get this issue on my phone, only my PC, and only some times.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

logged in when I came back. But got auto logged out when checked another part of the forum.

there's still something wrong.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

omg

Ok. I did a couple more changes that might fix it.
(I'm hopeful with this one, too)
I'll dig in some more when I get home this afternoon.

WizardMN

I have had it happen to me a couple times this afternoon with the latest being about the same time it happened to Outcryqq

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

Digging in.
The changes I just made logged everyone out, but I'm still wondering if it's a date issue.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

sadly, it's become even worse now.

logged in when got here. Got auto logged out when go to the front page.

log in again. Go to this area of the forum. Then realized I was logged out again.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

@The Fluff @WizardMN @Outcryqq @spacemonaut

Do you all happen to have turned on push notifications?
I just realized this isn't happening to me on a couple browsers — which don't have push notifications turned on.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Came here to report this issue, was surprised to see I wasn't the only user. No, I don't have browser push notifis on (ewww). Happens every morning when I come to post RCotD, and again when I browse back over on my breaks or lunches. Doesn't seem to be time related.

PC has Win 10 and latest Waterfox.
Android is a OnePlus 8 with Oxygen 11, browser Fennec F-Droid, and DuckDuckGo mobile browser. Both browsers are most recent versions

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

WizardMN

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
2 years ago

I just realized this isn't happening to me on a couple browsers — which don't have push notifications turned on.
I just turned on Push Notifications a couple days ago; long after these issues started up.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

I've gone ahead and disabled push notifications anyway just in case, since this was also a recent change.
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
don't have browser push notifis on (eww)
Don't worry, it's opt in only and it won't even ask unless you click a button to tell it to. None of the annoying crap, just there if you want it.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
2 years ago

I have push notifications off. I'm not sure the site has ever asked me to enable them, but if it did I would have declined.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago

I have push notifications off. I'm not sure the site has ever asked me to enable them, but if it did I would have declined.
It'll never ask unless you specifically click "enable" — then it'll ask. I hate those annoying pop ups and wouldn't do them, but having the option when you want it is nice (especially for someone ultra active like me).

But I'm wondering if something in the extension is looking at notifications and then somehow messing up sessions/remember me keys when it looks to see if it should push a notification.

I've gone over cookies multiple times with a fine tooth comb, everything looks perfect. Cloudflare is disabled. This was the last recent change that could affect anything.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

@Feyd_Ruin

just to be sure, where do I check if push notifications are turned on or not?

WizardMN

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
@Feyd_Ruin

I believe Feyd_Ruin already turned them off but you can just click on "Notifications" at the top and at the bottom of the box that pops up (extends down?) there was a line of text that said "Browser Notifications are <something>" along with a link that let you enable or disable them.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
@Feyd_Ruin

Right now it's disabled.
But if/when I re-enable it, it will show at the bottom of the notification drop down and in your user profile settings (notifications tab).

Edit: nath'd lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Community Software Feedback and Bug Reports”