Core 2020 Draft - Bread and Butter

Foo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Foo » 4 years ago

(I hope I'm doing this right. Mods please let me know if there're issues!)

Hi folks,

I'm not going to beat around the bush here. This is a pretty standard draft sim - a chance for us to get to know Core 2020 a little better and maybe to bond a little as a fledgling Limited community. Maybe later sims will be flashier and smoother but for now let's just have some low-key fun. I've generated 8 packs and assigned them to 8 seats. I'll post pack one for our community seat below. Every time interval I'll pick for the other 7 seats, the community consensus will make a pick at our seat, and the packs will rotate.

The time intervals will be:
24 hours or 3 posts (whichever comes later) for the first three picks of a pack
12 hours or 2 posts (whichever comes later) for the next six picks of a pack
My discretion for the final six picks of a pack

Each pack is expected to take a week to get through. We can then post final builds. I don't expect to participate much in the discussion - it's hard to distance myself from the fact that I've seen the other 7 packs - but we'll see what sort of activity is needed to get this rolling.

Without further adieu, here's your Pack 1:

Check out ongoing community Draft Simulations in the limited section. The fifth pick of Pack 2 in our first draft is currently live!
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Healer of the Glade
Scorch Spitter
Sedge Scorpion
Duress

Maniacal Rage
Marauder's Axe
Moment of Heroism
Pacifism
Prismite
Season of Growth
Uncaged Fury

Chandra's Spitfire
Griffin Sentinel
Hanged Executioner
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer
Rotting Regisaur

Dragon Mage
Meteor Golem

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Damn, looks like an interesting pack
I'll probably take silverback shaman even if it's the wrong answer because forcing green in my draft is what i excel at

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

As good as Silverback Shaman could be, I gotta go with Glint-Horn Buccaneer. (It's got a loooot of upside and in more memey terms it's distinctly possible, after all, that Dragon Mage will wheel for that wombo combo.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Foo

ilovesaporlings wrote:Damn, looks like an interesting pack
Yeah! So I didn't stack the packs or anything, but after the eight were generated I took the one that looked the most interesting for our seat. The top 4 cards in this pack all had the same rating - a 3.5 - in LSV's limited set reviews. Their rankings are tight enough that I firmly believe any one of these three could end up being the "obvious" pick here by the end of the format. Right now I really think it's a matter of taste.

Let's begin with data. According to Frank Karsten's "by the numbers" pick order we have:
Pacifism as the 25th best card in the set
Glint-Horn Buccaneer as the 38th best card in the set
Rabid Bite as the 42nd best card in the set
And
Silverback Shaman as the 59th best card in the set

Pacifism seems like it deserves our first look. It's an incredible removal spell at two and the only card in the pack at the "B" tier in the aggregate rankings. That said it's totally conceivable that these rankings could be a little inflated. Pacifism is a reprint with a strong pedigree, but it's ultimate value varies with the number of interactions in the format. Most colors in M20 have a positive way to beat pacifism: Gods Willing, Yarok's Wavecrasher, and Bone Splinters all get value as they deal with pacifism and Disenchant and Natural End at least go 1-for-1. Combine this with the fact that white is probably not at its historic best in M20 and any personal preferences you might have and there's plenty of reason to move on to the other three cards.

Personally I'm with void_nothing in thinking that the Buccaneer is the strongest card. Presenting a very solid turn 3 threat that doesn't go down easily is never a bad idea, and this guy continues to get value all game long. If I pick him up I'm keeping a careful eye out for Goblin Smuggler and other Smuggler combos, and so far that kind of deck has performed for me.

A lot of people like green more than red in the format. Check out Mengucci's article from earlier today as an example. If you have a straight green preference I think you're totally justified in overlooking Buccaneer for the removal spell of the gorilla.

My instinct in that situation is to take Rabid Bite. Early removal is something I value a lot in this format, and if I'm picking Shaman I'm saying "I want to survive to the late game and then recur value" which means I'm going to need Rabid Bites anyway. The Mengucci article seemingly disagrees with me though - Andrea says he prefers to present a strong threat - so I certainly wouldn't argue with a green-first drafter who wanted Shaman here.

With apologies to ilovesaporlings I'll side with void_nothing here and take the pirate.

That brings us to our pack 2:
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Check out ongoing community Draft Simulations in the limited section. The fifth pick of Pack 2 in our first draft is currently live!
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Healer of the Glade
Scorch Spitter
Sedge Scorpion
Duress

Maniacal Rage
Marauder's Axe
Moment of Heroism
Pacifism
Prismite
Season of Growth
Uncaged Fury

Chandra's Spitfire
Griffin Sentinel
Hanged Executioner
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer
Rotting Regisaur

Dragon Mage
Meteor Golem

ilovesaprolings

Now i'll take the pacifism

Foo

(As an aside, LSV said on Limited Resources today that he's taking Lavakin Brawler over pacifism, putting a huge premium on synergy, proactive approach and red as a color over a stand alone white value card. Makes me a little more confident in yesterday's pick.)

There are only two cards in this pack worth our consideration - Pacifisim and Keldon Raider. Pacifism is the disciplined pick leaving us open to whatever may come. Raider is a much worse card but one we'd be happy to play in all cases where we play the buccaneer, making it a reasonable choice if we decide here and now that we want to marry our first pick.

Buccaneer's a cool guy, but I'm also not ready to put a ring on it yet so I'll second ilovesaporling's pick. That brings us to a bit of a a tough pack three:

Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Healer of the Glade
Scorch Spitter
Sedge Scorpion
Duress

Maniacal Rage
Marauder's Axe
Moment of Heroism
Pacifism
Prismite
Season of Growth
Uncaged Fury

Chandra's Spitfire
Griffin Sentinel
Hanged Executioner
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer
Rotting Regisaur

Dragon Mage
Meteor Golem

ilovesaprolings

Leyline of the void for the $$$ XD
Otherwise 'm torn between ironroot warlord and sleep paralysis
Even that damn gorilla is still here... and since i got stomped by it yesterday i'm a little biased...

i'll go with ironroot

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

The best card in a vacuum is the gorilla here imo but this is the third pick and Ironroot Warlord could end up being a good payoff.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

We could get into Naya colors if the payoffs were there. I think the payoffs, well, may be there. Ironroot Warlord.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Foo

I like your moxie folks!

(Personally I think this is an interesting pick signals-wise. If we don't take the Warlord here then we're sending it to a guy who we've already given prey upon, pacifism, and the earlier gorilla. We have to assume there's a solid chance he's taking the warlord, then, and cutting us in green, white, or both next pack. If we take gorilla - and I agree with Henlock that it's the best card in a vacuum here - I think we harangue ourselves longterm. I was looking a sleep paralysis personally, as a hedge, but I'll come along for a bold pick-up here ^^)

On to pick 4, with a reminder that we're now making 1 pick every 12 hours.

After our first pick, many of you may have been asking where the red cards were. Welp.

Card Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Healer of the Glade
Scorch Spitter
Sedge Scorpion
Duress

Maniacal Rage
Marauder's Axe
Moment of Heroism
Pacifism
Prismite
Season of Growth
Uncaged Fury

Chandra's Spitfire
Griffin Sentinel
Hanged Executioner
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer
Rotting Regisaur

Dragon Mage
Meteor Golem

ilovesaprolings

Act of treason because a friend of mine love to play these effect and always %$#% me with that
Trying to be more serious, Steadfast Sentry

Foo

While waiting on another reply here, can you explain why you're looking at Sentry? I'll give you that it's certainly the best white card in the pack but I'd like to see us compare it to Chandra's Spitfire and Mammoth Spider, at the very least.
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Healer of the Glade
Scorch Spitter
Sedge Scorpion
Duress

Maniacal Rage
Marauder's Axe
Moment of Heroism
Pacifism
Prismite
Season of Growth
Uncaged Fury

Chandra's Spitfire
Griffin Sentinel
Hanged Executioner
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer
Rotting Regisaur

Dragon Mage
Meteor Golem

ilovesaprolings

Found it quite nasty at draft
That 3 power means it will probably kill something. Vigilance means that if you don't block it, it will block something of yours. If it dies, something will get bigger.
It's not an exceptional card, but it's solid and versatile. it's never a dead card

Henlock

Chandra's spitfire for.me. Fliers can get nasty and it has synergy with biccaneer

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Chandra's Spitfire. We'll find some more burn.

Foo

I do like Sentry. Consider that Barony Vampire, Bastion Enforcer and Fearless Halberdier are all in the set and we're getting huge value added without a rarity shift. That's definitely worth our consideration. I do think it's a more specialized card then it appear though. Given that there are 27 different two-drops in the set that can tangle with it (and a 28th it just bounces off of) you need a plan that's willing to eat that mana-disadvantage. I don't think WU wants Sentry at all, eg. and I think the GW decks that want it want Mammoth Spider way more.

Majority takes Chandra's Spitfire, but ilovesaporlings gets another chance in pack 5:

Swamp
Battalion Foot Soldier
Glaring Aegis
Heart-Piercer Bow
Moment of Heroism
Sanitarium Skeleton
Steadfast Sentry
Undead Servant
Vorstclaw
Manifold Key
Meteor Golem
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Pacifism

Chandra's Spitfire
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer
Last edited by Foo 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Healer of the Glade
Scorch Spitter
Sedge Scorpion
Duress

Maniacal Rage
Marauder's Axe
Moment of Heroism
Pacifism
Prismite
Season of Growth
Uncaged Fury

Chandra's Spitfire
Griffin Sentinel
Hanged Executioner
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer
Rotting Regisaur

Dragon Mage
Meteor Golem

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Meteor Golem - Late game removal and an adequate body, worth considering
Steadfast Sentry - just a good card for a common,, provides value on death
Moment of Heroism - Buff spells aren't prevalent in this set, this can help a creature live or keep you from losing

Of these, which I think are the best choices, Sentry looks to be the better choice but, given that white seems to be open, stands a chance of wheeling. Would play it safe though and grab it here
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Henlock

I do like the Sentry, too. However, I hate to break your heart but I wouldn't let that Meteor Golem pass!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Meteor Golem is the lowkey scariest Core draft card in the current era. Take it.

Foo

(Has anybody been able to make Meteor Golem/Renowned Weaponsmith happen for them yet? Def on my bucket list for this set)

Staying open on color with an eye to go big we take Meteor Golem in pack 5 and find a mythic(!...?) waiting for us in 6:

Dismal Backwater
Fathom Fleet Cutthroat
Inspiring Captain
Marauder's Axe
Moment of Heroism
Scorch Spitter
Sedge Scorpion
Aether Gust
Bloodthirsty Aerialist
Kethis, the Hidden Hand
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Pacifism

Chandra's Spitfire
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer

Meteor Golem
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Healer of the Glade
Scorch Spitter
Sedge Scorpion
Duress

Maniacal Rage
Marauder's Axe
Moment of Heroism
Pacifism
Prismite
Season of Growth
Uncaged Fury

Chandra's Spitfire
Griffin Sentinel
Hanged Executioner
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer
Rotting Regisaur

Dragon Mage
Meteor Golem

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Guess what goes great with Spitfire? Scorch Spitter, windmill slam.

Henlock

Scorch Spitter is another nice Spitfire synergy.!

Foo

Things start to come together as we pick up Scorch Spitter.

I've had solid games with this little guy! I've found my more aggressive red decks, when they win, get in for exactly 20 or 21 just as everything collapses. Single points of damage make a huge difference. I also like how he matches up against the little 1/1 deathtouchers in green and black.
Seriously wish they'd given him menace though :/

Will pack seven help us to nail down our secondary color? Or will we stay in red for some furious firepower? Options abound:

Centaur Courser
Duress
Frilled Sea Serpent
Inspiring Captain
Squad Captain
Tranquil Cove
Colossus Hammer
Uncaged Fury
Leyline of Anticipation
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Scorch Spitter

Pacifism

Chandra's Spitfire
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer

Meteor Golem
Cards Drafted So Far
Show
Hide
Healer of the Glade
Scorch Spitter
Sedge Scorpion
Duress

Maniacal Rage
Marauder's Axe
Moment of Heroism
Pacifism
Prismite
Season of Growth
Uncaged Fury

Chandra's Spitfire
Griffin Sentinel
Hanged Executioner
Ironroot Warlord
Glint-Horn Buccaneer
Rotting Regisaur

Dragon Mage
Meteor Golem

Henlock

Uncaged Fury can be a game winning trick.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Uncaged Fury can indeed surprise end a game. Nothing white or green is good enough to beat it this pack imho.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Draft Simulation”