Please explain what "historic" means

DrFunkenstein
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DrFunkenstein » 4 years ago

Once it is updated to this sub-forum, I will delete (or ask a mod to delete) this post...

Please explain "historic" as I am not too sure what it means in the context of here and its relation to a play format.

Thank you.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

"Historic", as a format, means essentially the same thing as "Modern" or "Legacy". That is, it is a non-rotating format that includes all cards in Standard as well as any cards printed in a standard legal set in the past. Here, though, it has the limitation of being on Arena. So, any card that exists on Arena that was also in Standard at one point will be legal in this format. Basically, this means all the cards on Arena are legal in Historic and they will not rotate out like they do in Standard.

It will also have its own banlist so Rampaging Ferocidon will be legal since it was printed in a standard legal set. Anything they decide to ban will be based on the Historic format and no whether it was banned in Standard.

DrFunkenstein

Post by DrFunkenstein » 4 years ago

Does this mean there will be Historic tournaments (hopefully) in Arena? Because as it stands right now, for of the tournaments/special games on Arena, only Standard sets apply (I've gotten warnings that the cards I'm about to add to a deck on Arena may not be legible for certain play).

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

For right now, the information we have says Historic will be unranked. Likely we will see some tournaments for Historic but their big draw is Standard so I would assume the majority of things will be focused on that.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

"Historic" will likely end up applying to Pauper and Singleton for Events, as restricting those formats to Standard seems shortsighted. It will also encourage newer players to burn wildcards on older available cards when they encounter them in another deck in Casual play, or spur them to spend resources on older packs.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

ktkenshinx

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

DrFunkenstein wrote:
4 years ago
Once it is updated to this sub-forum, I will delete (or ask a mod to delete) this post...

Please explain "historic" as I am not too sure what it means in the context of here and its relation to a play format.

Thank you.
Hello! One of the mods here, and also on the Modern side. This sub-forum is still under construction, but I intend to update it this week. As a bit of a spoiler/preview of that project, here's the recent Wizards article explaining Historic:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... ne-27-2019
Historic Play – There will be events and other ways you'll be able to use cards from sets no longer in Standard in a format we're calling "Historic." This will include a Historic Play queue (both Best-of-One and Best-of-Three), Direct Challenge, practice matches with Sparky, as well as some of our rotating events that are not beholden to Standard (such as Pauper, Singleton, etc.). Historic will be specific to MTG Arena, and we intended for it to be a fun and casual way you can continue to play with all the cards in your collection.
This forum will be relatively lean until we get more information, but that's a good starting point for what could become a major Magic hit going forward.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

RainyDay

Post by RainyDay » 4 years ago

Maybe they'll make a ranked version once there's a few more sets under it's belt, but as it will stand immediately after rotation, "pre-rotaton standard +1 set" doesn't seem like a different enough format to bother with right now. It's at least a nice way to assure people that their non-standard cards aren't going anywhere while the card pool grows.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Historic”