Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

I figured that this forum needs this thread, especially with the pace new cards are getting added to Historic.

The card that inspired me to create this thread is Yasharn, Relentless Earth.

Yasharn, Relentless Earth 2GW
Legendary Creature - Elemental Boar
When Yasharn, Relentless Earth enters the battlefield, search your library for up to one basic Forest card and up to one basic Plains card, reveal those cards, put them into your hand then shuffle your library.
Players can't pay life or sacrifice nonland permanents to cast spells or activate abilities.
4/4

I think this has a chance to be a meta shifting creature. A 4/4 for four that grabs you two lands is already good, but its that last ability that is icing. Most of the top decks play a ton of sacrifice effects and/or pay life. Basically this turns off goblins Skirk Prospector/Muxus, Goblin Grandee shenanigans, Bolas's Citadel, Woe Strider, Priest of Forgotten Gods, and a bunch of other cards.

As for what deck plays it, most likely Bant Ramp, since it plays into its game plan. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised to see this as either the top end of a new aggro deck (probably out of the sideboard) or in a new midrange shell.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Welp, 61 of the 63 Mystical Archive cards have been spoiled and, well, yeah, Historic ain't gonna be the same place after this.

First off the seven "banned" cards:
All the Uncommons are standard legal cards, so I won't be going over them or the other already historic legal cards.

Ephemerate - There isn't an ETB deck in the format right now that I can think of, but if there is this will be a key card in it. Has a chance of making a completely new deck. Verdict - Powerful, but in need of a deck

Gift of Estates - A power effect, especially on the draw (and it can grab duals). Not sure what deck wants it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up (maybe from the sideboard). Verdict - Powerful, but unsure where it fits

Mana Tithe - Really excited to see this card. Force Spike in the right deck and/or meta can be back breaking. I don't think the meta is right for it (but may shift in that direction), but any white aggro deck will love this card. Verdict - Staple in white aggro (at least in the sideboards) and possibly other decks

Teferi's Protection - This card does a ton of heavy lifting giving you and your permanents protection from everything pretty much. Great in aggro, great in control. Verdict - Will see play, probably from sideboards

Blue Sun's Zenith - Sphinx's Revelation doesn't see play, and this for all intensive purposes is worse. Verdict - Unlikely to see play

Brainstorm - Not having fetches other than Fabled Passage hurts, but its Brainstorm. Verdict - It's Brainstorm. It will see play.

Compulsive Research - Powerful draw effect, but there are better card draw in historic. Verdict - Unlikely to see play

Memory Lapse - A two mana counter spell is nice, but this one feels too narrow to see play. Verdict - Unlikely to see play

Mind's Desire - Um... So... *double checks the banned list*. This is a thing. Verdict - Either will see play in a bad deck, or be completely broken and banned like a four-colored Omnath

Tezzeret's Gambit - I actually wouldn't be surprised to see this get play, just not in any blue decks. There have been several counter decks (be they Selesnya, Golgari, or Azban) that have promise, but have lacked "something". Maybe this is it. Or maybe everyone will just play this in superfriends. Verdict - Will see play in the right deck, possible putting some fringed decks into the tier 1 or 2

Time Warp - *Double checks the banned list a second time, gives up, and walks away* Verdict - Most likely completely broken in some sort of deck that can recur it and banned like a four-colored Omnath

Crux of Fate - There have been some interesting dragon decks I've seen played. They are powerful if they can get going, but have a problem losing to all out aggro. This could be an interesting card in them. But I am probably getting my hopes up. Also could see play if creatures start creeping past the 3 mana value mark. Verdict - Unlikely to see play, but maybe

Doom Blade - Maybe as a one of in decks. Verdict - Might see some limited play, specifically in a black deck looking to diversify their two mana removal suite

Inquisition of Kozilek - A clear competitor with Thoughtseize. Really, which is better is solely meta dependent. Also can be discard 5-8. Verdict - Powerful, will see play, but depends mostly on meta

Sign in Blood - I wouldn't be surprised if Mono-Black decks start playing a playset of this card. Verdict - Powerful, will see play

Tainted Pact - Probably won't see play in Historic. The deckbuilding cost is most likely too high to abuse it. Verdict - Powerful, but unlikely to see play

Tendrils of Agony - If there is a Mind's Desire deck, this will probably be the win condition. Verdict - Either will see play in a bad deck, or be the win condition in a broken deck

Chaos Warp - The ultimate mono-red sideboard card. Verdict - Will be a staple in mono-red sideboards

Faithless Looting - *Looks at the card... The art... It's... -comment not found-* Do you like Rakdos Arcanist? Because the deck is about to go into overdrive. Also Arclight Phoenix decks. And maybe some sort of Mardu Pyromancer. On the bright side, Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath isn't around to abuse this. Verdict - Will see play and propel several decks to tier 1/1.5

Grapeshot - The only reason to play this over Tendrils of Agony is because of the mana cost being two and red. Verdict - If their is a storm deck, this might see play

Increasing Vengeance - Best case is there is something in Strixhaven that works well with it. Verdict - Unlikely to see play

Mizzix's Mastery - I don't know how yet, but this will probably do stupid things. Verdict - Either will see play in a bad deck, or be completely broken

Stone Rain - PONZA! Only slight less annoying than Ponzi! Verdict - Ponza will probably be a tier 3 deck that will have a dedicated player base

Urza's Rage - Honestly, I'm not really sure. Most likely it won't be a factor (outside of coming out of the sideboard against control), but I have seen some big red decks running around lately that would like this. Verdict - Unlikely to see play

Abundant Harvest - Like Urza's Rage, I'm not really sure. The fact that you will always either get a land or a nonland is attractive, but I am not sure what deck wants this. On the other hand, this card could play like Flower // Flourish and every green deck runs these instead of four lands. Verdict - To be seen

Harmonize - Probably will become a brawl staple. I actually think there is a chance it will see play in Mono-Green Planeswalkers to find their Ugin, the Spirit Dragon. Verdict - Might see play in Mono-Green Planeswalkers

Krosan Grip - A great sideboard card. Verdict - Will see some sideboard play

Primal Command - I don't think it will see play, but again, this might be a card Mono-Green Planeswalkers might like or out of sideboards against specific decks. On the other hand, having played against this card, it can do some work when cast, especially in graveyard heavy formats with plenty of powerful non-creature permanents running about. Verdict - Might see play in Mono-Green Planeswalkers, but could be key sideboard tech

Regrowth - Probably in some combo deck (regrowing Time Warp every turn). Verdict - Might see play in certain combo decks

Weather the Storm - This card (along with Whirlwind Denial) is a safety valve against storm. Also does work against burn. Verdict - Will see play if storm decks take off

Electrolyze - This card is an absolute house, especially with so many one toughness creatures running about in historic. My biggest concern is I'm not sure there is a deck for the card currently. Verdict - Powerful card in search of a deck

Lightning Helix - If Electrolyze is a house, Lightning Helix is an apartment building. One of the best burn spells of all time, this will see play. Most likely lots of play. My only concern is that there is currently no red-white decks in the meta. But if any one card can change that, its the Topdeck of the Century. Verdict - Powerful card in search of a deck

Putrefy - I loved this card when it came out. How times have changed. There are better and/or cheaper options nowadays (i.e. Assassin's Trophy / Maelstrom Pulse) and its unique strength, preventing regeneration, just isn't relevant. Verdict - Unlikely to see play

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

really good rundown on the new cards. I really like how they're using this to add new cards to historic

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

So about what I said about Grapeshot... It seems like someone at WotC really wanted storm to be in historic as we have a ready built core of the deck now that Grinning Ignus is being reprinted (printed for the first time?) and we already have Birgi, God of Storytelling. I'm not sure what the rest of the deck will be, but, um... I'm concerned.

motleyslayer

the Grinning Ignus reprint is interesting and I can see some kind of storm deck being presen in historic as people at least like the deck. Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty is also super good

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Here are some of my thoughts after seeing the whole set:

Feather, the Redeemed

Feather, the Redeemed decks get a few new toys.

Mavinda, Students' Advocate is probably a better Dreadhorde Arcanist in the deck since she can get back cards on your opponent's turns, doesn't need to attack, and has no power restriction. Her only drawback in the deck (as her real drawback is moot in a Feather deck) is costing three, but I doubt that will mean much. Lightning Helix will be nice, either in the sideboard or maindeck (I'm not sure which yet).

Radiant Scrollwielder is similar to Mavinda, but its probably too slow and too random to replace either Mavinda or Dreadhorde Arcanist.

Stonebinder's Familiar is an interesting card since with Feather, the Redeemed you can trigger it every turn, but its unlikely to be good enough for the deck.

Lorehold Command is an interesting card out of the sideboard given its third mode can target a creature you control. It's a bit over costed, but each mode is nice to have and it is slot efficient.

Where it gets really interesting is the Learn cards for Bo1 Feather. In particular Academic Dispute and to a lesser extent Study Break. Having maybe two Academic Disputes in your deck and a full sideboard could give the deck a lot of versatility at low cost. Imagine just getting a lesson every turn. That could make the deck the quintessential 51% Bo1 deck. See below for a sample sideboard to see what I mean:
Bo1 Sideboard
Show
Hide
Feather Sideboard
Approximate Total Cost:

CATS!

Still loving my Cats deck as it has a good Jund Sacrifice and Grull match-up. The only real pick up is Abundant Harvest, which I have no idea on how it will preform in the deck.

Death & Taxes

With cards like Silverquill Silencer, Elite Spellbinder and Thalia, Guardian of Thraben there might finally be enough for a true Death & Taxes style deck in Historic.

Young Pyromancer

I am separating this out, as I feel with Sedgemoor Witch, the ton of new powerful instants and sorceries, and maybe even Hero of Precinct One, there is a strong go wide token deck in the format.

Killian, Ink Duelist

Killian is a card I am keeping an eye on just because he seems like a card that could either boost an existing deck like Auras or Feather or create a new one.

Strict Proctor

If Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath was still around I would say that this would be a powerful card to enable turn 3 Uro's. Now, I think it is just going to be a strong card out of Sideboards or possibly even maindecks.

Bayou Groff

This card reminds of Gurmag Angler, in that it is a great oversized value creature. I could see this either slotting into an existing Jund Sacrifice deck or possibly some sort of new Golgari Aggro/Sacrifice deck. Maybe even some sort of Golgari Collected Company deck with Rotting Regisaur and a way to give creatures trample.

Thunderous Orator

Like Bayou Groff, I think this just has such a good rate that it should see play. There are already two great one drops for this card in: Battlefield Raptor, Healer's Hawk, and there are several strong two and three drops that can turn attacking with this creature on turn three into a monster. And that's not even branching out into other colors.

Go Blank

I actually could see this seeing play. I think it has the right rate and power level to be a good tempo play against decks like Rakdos Arcanist which will probably be Tier 1 after Strixhaven's release and Jund Sacrifice.

motleyslayer

I'm really liking the Lorehaven cards in the set, it's cool how they're taking a direction for RW other than combat tricks/attacking

Strict Proctor is a great card IMO

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

So an interesting detail in today's state of the game article. Starting with Strixhaven, Bo1 will be limited to a seven card sideboard. Overall I don't think this is a meaningful change for most decks outside of decks playing Karn, the Great Creator (as I don't see any Fae of Wishes // Granted decks running about). It will hurt my plans for using a wishboard for Feather, the Redeemed however. I will still try it with maybe one copy of Academic Dispute (possibly two if I decide to remove the Legion Angel for more room).

Also I wonder if this means they are planning more sideboard stuff like Learn and Companion.

motleyslayer

yeah I think the only things really impacted by the change will be wishboards such as Karn decks and learn/lesson stuff (probably the reason behind the change). Overall I'd say it's pretty fine, having the freedom of 15 lessons in BO1 seems a lot

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Something else from that article that I forgot to add:
There are many cards in the remaining 34 new-to-Historic cards that could be too powerful for the format as well. We are taking an approach here similar to the launch of Pioneer—except for the cards above, we aren't predetermining what is too strong. But we do expect that there will be new decks and interactions discovered that will become problematic. With the cards above, we feel like their power level and threat to the format is clear. For the rest of the Mystical Archive, we want to let players find the powerful interactions and prove they are problems for the metagame rather than prejudge the outcome.
Basically, expect chaos for probably at least a month after Strixhaven's launch. Also I wouldn't invest in any new decks (especially Faithless Looting decks) until it settles down.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Historic”