August CCL, Round 2- Extreme Speed

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Time to critique before time runs out. lol.

user_938036 (Ninja's Guise)

Extremely flavorful card. I particularly like that it effectively overwrites the attacking creature completely. However, I fear that it can lead to degenerate plays with things like Blightsteel Colossus to enable a one hit KO that the opponent can't prevent.

Legend (Quicksilver Wings)

Simple, flavorful, and an absolute win of a card.

Raikou Rider (Interceptive Stance)

Perfectly captures different abilities of the Jeskai colors and brings them together into a card I'd happily play in my Narset commander deck. A great card.

bravelion83 (Merciless Imprisonment)

The only issue I have with this card is the name, but it is simple and effective white removal that is appropriately costed. What's not to like.

Jae (Weeping Wish)

Someone didn't read the challenge properly...Conditional flash is a no-go. As for the card itself, it should be black, as the cards abilities aren't green.

kwanyeegor-ii (Zurgo's Defiance)

Another flavor win. It captures the colors perfectly, as well as references to the character, which is awesome.

Votes:

1. Raikou Rider
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. Legend
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
Cloak of Mist 2G
Enchantment - Aura (Uncommon)
Flash
Enchant Creature
When Cloak of Mist enters the battlefield, prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to or dealt by enchanted creature.
"In an instant we were in deep fog, our quarry lost to us."
-Beyro, Lantan Tracker
I don't think the Fog Bank ability is green, but hey, let's go with it. We've only seen it four times after all.

This is a neat aura, has a solid effect, and I could imagine throwing it down on a fattie, later attacking with that fattie, and then Naturalizing or bouncing the aura when my opponent leaves the fattie unblocked. Sike!
Icarii
Show
Hide
Icarii wrote:
4 years ago
Lone Champion's Blades 1WB
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Flash
When Lone Champion's Blades enters the battlefield, you may attach it to target creature you don't control.
Equipped creature gets -1/-1 for each other attacking creature it's controller controls and has double strike.
Equip 2
Pretty tricksy, I like it. I could equip it to one of my own creatures later on my turn.

Minor thing — I really want this to emphasize the positive first so that it feels better attaching it to my own creature: "Equipped creature has double strike and gets -1/-1 for each other attacking creature its controller controls." It violates the usual order of "gets" coming before "has" or "gains" but I feel the break is necessary to make the card feel better in later turns.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Mother's Caress 2w
Enchantment - Aura (u)
Flash
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has +2/+2.
When Mother's Caress enters the battlefield, choose a color. Enchanted creature has protection from the chosen color until end of turn. This effect doesn:t remove Mother's Caress.
Shiny and works super well with Flash.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove wrote:
4 years ago
Backbiter Blade 1
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Flash
Equipped creature has deathtouch.
Ensoul 2UB (If you cast this spell with its ensoul cost, create a 2/2 colorless Spirit creature token and attach Backbiter Blade to it.)
Equip 2
I adore the Ensoul mechanic here! This is a really nice design. It took me a minute to figure out the blue component of the Ensoul cost here — getting to flash in a blocker is pretty blue.

Minor — Ensoul doesn't say when you create the token. Compare the Living Weapon reminder text from e.g. Bonehoard: (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 black Germ creature token, then attach this to it.)
We can borrow that here: (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, if you cast it for its ensoul cost, create a 2/2 colorless Spirit creature token, then attach this to it.)
Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Frigid Monolith WWUU
Artifact (M)
Flash
At the beginning of each player's turn, if that player controls any untapped permanents, that player skips their untap step.
or : Tap target permanent. Any player may activate this ability.
This is a fun quirky card, though I think justifying this as white-blue would require a meta in which white-blue has a fairly aggressive strategy in Standard Constructed. Theros comes to mind for example. In a void I'd have made it red-blue. I'd be interested your thoughts on why you chose these colors.

Here's my thinking: this card seems to encourage a play pattern of "always tap out all your permanents, including all your creatures". That play pattern is very red, and somewhat green and white. Typically white and blue is a more defensive color pair, and would want to tap down some lands but not all its permanents. This means ironically white and blue hoses itself more than their mutual enemy color! That doesn't feel right. That's all fine if white-blue has an aggressive strategy though. Maybe this is fine in a deck which follows a mostly white aggressive play pattern.
Krishnath
Show
Hide
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Shake the Foundations
4RG
Enchantment (Rare)
Flash
When Shake the Foundations enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to each nonflying creature, each player, and each planeswalker.
Beast creatures, Dinosaur creatures, and Dragon creatures you control get +2/+1 and have trample and haste.
This is really nice.

The last line can just say "Beasts, Dinosaurs, and Dragons you control".
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Jimmy Groove
2. Krishnath
3. Subject16

Response to Sojourner Dusk
Show
Hide
Not that I have any expectations of changing your review, just want to respond to it with my thoughts.
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
spacemonaut: This should be an Instant. Also, this is very bad against opponents that have creatures with first/double strike.
I don't agree on that it should be an instant. I mean, it has flash, it's instant. But it's not identical to Fog; I feel it would have a material difference when played outside of combat. Wouldn't you play differently if you knew 100% someone had a Fog in your hand they'd definitely play next combat? I want this to have that effect.

Good point about multiple combat damage rounds though. I should have had it say "sacrifice it at end of combat" or something like that.
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

RaikouRider
This is a nice appealing card. Maybe it doesn't need to be all three colors, just WR would have been okay. Your use of flash here is commendable.

bravelion83
This is clean and logical use of flash.

Jae
This is a little disappointing, since it just kinda has flash for the purpose of having flash and not because it needs it as an integral part of the design.

kwanyeegor-ii
I don't really know what to say about this card. It's kind of about Zurgo, maybe there's a story moment? It can dig you out of a bad combat situation, but only if you have 5 mana up? I'm kinda neutral about it overall.

Cardz5000
Sure.

marioguy3
This is another case where flash doesn't really add to the holistic design, it's just kinda there.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. bravelion83
3. Cardz5000
formerly willows

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
A simple twist on Seal Away. Will undoubtedly be a card someday.
Jae
Show
Hide
Green doesn't usually get resurrection effects like this, and there is also little difference between how this currently functions and it being an instant.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
A nice combat trick.
Cardz5000
Show
Hide
This is intriguing. I quite like it.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Significantly better than Dictate of Kruphix, even if legendary. Which isn't even that severe a drawback.
barbecube
Show
Hide
There are surprising few cards that explicitly make creatures more expensive, probably out of concern of multiples. This is probably on the borderline of being too dangerous, especially since it is one sided. The synergy of the effects is appreciated though.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Cardz5000
2. bravelion83
3. kwanyeegor-ii

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Little short on time so top 3 only

1)Jimmy Groove
2)user_938036
3)Legend

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Time for round 2 votes:

Legend-(Quicksilver Wings)A solid limited card that will turn a solid ground creature into a surprise ambusher on a player's life total. And since it has flash, a less risky enchantment than normal. Not a very powerful constructed card thought, but the design is appropriate.

RaikouRider-(Interceptive Stance) A flash enchantment that gains indestructible is a pretty solid and uniquely designed card. This is again another limited all-star type of card. Might see play in standard in the right deck. Solid card.

bravelion83-(Merciless Imprisonment) A very solid design that fits the flavor of the card. I love that there is flavor text at the bottom of the card to give this card some spice. One of the best designs I have seen.

Jae-(Weeping Wish) I feel like the abilities of this card should be switched around. I would have made the tutor come first and then the reanimation effect. This card is very conditional and expensive for a cool effect. Of course, this card doesn't quite meet the design criteria as the rules call for flash to be available at all times.

kwanyeegor-ii-(Zurgo's Defiance) A simple aura that provides some power to the creature in the form of double strike. I think that as a rare, it could have provided a small boost, maybe a +1/+1 boost, but it is not necessary as the indestructible part of the card works. The aura wants the creature to be aggressive, which is a flavor win for the guild. Solid card.

Cardz5000-(Aetherform) Yet another aura designed which I am to critique, and this one is okay. It looks like a wall of text at first, but the card is not too complex. It just feels a bit odd for a card to be able to turn from a facedown creature to a spell, which I am not sure if that design is "A-Ok" within the rules. Interesting and unique card, to say the least though. But it's a card that having the flash on it would make for fun gameplay, which is best-suited as a rare (which you thought as well).

Top 3:
3rd place: Cardz5000
2nd place: RaikouRider
1st place: bravelion83
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Icary- Interesting use for an equipment as some kind of Kill Shot with extra utility for decks that rely on one beater to do the job. Attaching Equipments to opponent's creatures is rather unusual.

Subject16 - Gaseous Form , Sandskin effects are not realy in green, but limiting it to combat damage pulls into green's direction, given its Fog tradition. The Fog effect in CIP reinforces this idea, but still feels a bit off color.

spacemonaut - I'm mot sure if the card is what you meant but the way it's done it's too expensive. Sure, having it be an enchantment gives it the potential of becoming a piece of some recursion shenanigans.

netn10: I like this card. It may look like flash is there to fulfill the challenge but it's actually dealing with sorcery speed stuff like equipments and equip abilities. I really think this should have been be white,

Ink-treader - This is very solid design for an aura with flash. I like how effects are tied. one thing to note is that hard counters without double blue are not the norm and I can't really think of any now, so a more slapped-together cost ala absorb should be used.

barbecube : Another good design for an enchantment with flash. I like that the tax can be a problem the very same turn the enchantment hits the battlefield.

1. barbecube
2. ink.-treader
3. netn10

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Krishnath - super nice tribal splashy effect that triggers dinosaur enrage, completely awesome card

user_938036 - really awesome combat trick + callback to ninjutsu... love to use things like this

Legend - super simple, maybe too simple. seems like a ravnica design. ok draft common

RaikouRider - great card, similar to mine... mashes up white and ur effects so well

bravelion83 - simple but pretty cool version of temp exile, I like it

Jae - flash seems totally pointless on this card, just make it an instant. also not a green effect at all, completely black

1 krishnath

2 raikourider

3 user_938036
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

1st: RaikouRider
2nd: bravelion83
3rd: Legend

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Congratulations to the top 8 finishers:

RaikouRider
barbecube
spacemonaut
bravelion83
Henlock
Ink-Treader
Cardz5000
Krishnath

Next round to come shortly.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”