August MCC Round 1 - The beginning

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

MCC-1908.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of the card Ferocious Pup by Rudy Siswanto.)

August MCC Round 1

The beginning

Some would call this a new beginning. It's like when you move and change your house. You're abandoning your old one but a new one is ready to welcome you. In that moment you don't know yet if it will be better, but you certainly hope so. Or it's like when you get your clothes dirty and you change them. You're separating yourself from comfortable ones but new and fresh ones are awaiting for you. And you hope that they will be as comfortable as the ones you were wearing, or even more. Or it's like when a child is born. Nobody knows what their destiny will be yet, but everybody wishes them a fulfilling, satisfactory, and enjoyable life. Or it's like when a new pup enters the world and joins its pack. It's so weak for now, but everything it needs to become a strong and fierce adult is already there. And we all know that the strongest pack has the fiercest pups. That's why our mascot for this month is Ferocious Pup. I think it symbolizes perfectly this moment. We've just been born, and we're so small for now. But we wish to become as big and strong as our mother behind us. And we know that with time, we will. And in that moment, no matter how close or how far in the future it might be, we will have the privilege to be able to say that we've been there since the beginning.

What's the beginning of a turn of Magic? Let's say it all together: untap, upkeep, draw! Do you remember when that actor impersonating Nicol Bolas in a game with giant cards was screaming it with the audience every turn? I think it was a preview event for Hour of Devastation at some convention if I recall correctly. But let's get back on track. When do you receive priority for the first time each turn? During the upkeep step. Even abilities that triggered during your untap step are put onto the stack only at the beginning of your upkeep. Wait! What did I just say? "At the beginning of your upkeep"... That gives me an idea...

Main Challenge - Design a card with a triggered ability that triggers "At the beginning of your/each upkeep". Please see clarifications.
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
First, a note for everybody: as of now, there are a couple cards submitted that have abilities that trigger "At the beginning of each player's upkeep". Those technically do NOT pass the Main Challenge. As I've written in the clarifications spoiler, it has to be literally "your upkeep" or "each upkeep". Any other variations, including "each player's upkeep", do NOT pass the Main Challenge.
Subchallenge 1 - Your card is a permanent card.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card is monocolored.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Now for some answers.
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
How is it that Sphinx of Foresight would not meet the main challenge? It's third ability (below flying) reads "At the beginning of your upkeep, scry 1." That's a triggered ability that uses your exact required wording.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
I assume what is meant that "At the beginning of your first upkeep..." and other not-exact-words abilities don't pass - so a better example would be Chancellor of the Dross or Providence.
void_nothing's answer is the correct one. I was talking about the first ability saying "first upkeep", completely overlooking the fact that the Sphinx has a last ability that would totally make it pass the Main Challenge. I'm going to remove it from the examples and substitute it with the other ones that void_nothing mentioned.
Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
Should we also add the "cardtext" tag as a potential for card formatting?
That's one of the first things that I actually thought about when I started writing the document and then I completely forgot to write it in. My current intention is that the classic card text formatting (the one I detail in section 4) is preferred, though obviously judges should not penalize you if you use the new "cardtext" tag that has been built specifically for custom card creation.
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
Clarification request: does reminder text count? Thinking specifically about suspend and fading/vanishing, but might be relevant elsewhere as well.
No. It has to be actual rules text. Adding this to clarifications.
• The card must contain the exact phrase "At the beginning of your upkeep," or "At the beginning of each upkeep," (including the comma) as the trigger of a triggered ability. Any other variation is NOT allowed. Any addition is also NOT allowed, with the only exception of "intervening if" clauses, which are explicitly and specifically allowed.
• Your card can have any other ability in addition to the required triggered ability.
• If the card is a DFC (those from Innistrad), a flip card (those from Kamigawa), or a split card, the required trigger being there on only one side/half of the card is enough, no matter on which side/half of the card. The card can also just have it on both sides without any problem.

Examples:

The following cards would pass the challenge.
Ajani's Mantra ("your upkeep")
Verdant Force ("each upkeep")
Colossal Majesty ("your upkeep" with intervening if.)
First Response ("each upkeep" with intervening if.)
Tendershoot Dryad ("each upkeep" with additional abilities.)
Darigaaz Reincarnated ("your upkeep" with intervening if and additional abilities.)
Cloistered Youth ("your upkeep", on one side of a DFC. The other side is Unholy Fiend, that has a different trigger, but one side is enough.)
Any werewolf from Innistrad, basic example: Villagers of Estwald/Howlpack of Estwald ("each upkeep", on both sides of a DFC, with intervening if.)

The following cards would NOT pass the challenge.
Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage ("each opponent's upkeep" is different from "each upkeep".) The autocard gives the Japanese promo version, here is a direct link to the English version.
Rekindling Phoenix (The token has the required trigger, not the card itself.)
Chancellor of the Dross or Providence (For two reasons: it's not a triggered ability, and "your first upkeep" is different from "your upkeep".)
Stab Wound ("the upkeep of enchanted creature's controller" is different from "your upkeep" or "each upkeep".)
Errant Ephemeron (The required trigger is there but in reminder text, and that doesn't count. It has to be there in the actual rules text of the card.)

Subchallenge 1
• What the challenge means is that your card is not an instant or sorcery. A "permanent card" means an artifact, creature, enchantment, land, or planeswalker. Cards having more than one card type, like artifact creatures, are fine.

Subchallenge 2
• This challenge only checks the actual colors of the card, that is those in the mana cost or color indicator, and does NOT look at color identity. That means that a colorless card with a monocolored mana symbol in its rules text (such as Soliton or Desert of the True) does NOT count.
• The challenge means that your card is exactly one color. Colorless or multicolored (both traditional gold and hybrid) card don't pass the challenge. Remember that lands are normally colorless.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask in the discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Wednesday, August 7th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Sunday, August 11th 23:59 EDT

RUBRIC

The rubric has undergone no changes in the transition from MTGSalvation to MTGNexus. As a reminder for everyone, here it is. As usual, it will be there in all round threads. If you want a more detailed explanation of the rubric, you can find it in the brand new MTGNexus MCC Guidelines and FAQ, written by me and approved by void_nothing (Custom Card moderator). The detailed explanation of the rubric is in section 6.2. If you have time and will to read that (admittedly long) document in its entirety, I invite you to do so.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83
void_nothing
Rithaniel
mellifluoresce

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Also, you should format your text cards accordingly to the brand new MTGNexus MCC Guidelines and FAQ. Again, expect deductions in Quality otherwise. The recommended card formatting is in section 4. As I've said before, if you have time and will to read that document in its entirety, I invite you to do so. It should be useful to everybody, hosts, judges, and players. And speaking of players...

PLAYERS

Everyone can enter this round. Just reply to this thread posting a card that meets the main challenge and any number (that includes zero) of subchallenges. Future rounds will only be open to those who advance. Come join us!

BRACKETS

Judge: Rithaniel
Freyleyes
kwanyeegor-ii
Kypster
Sagharri
SecretInfiltrator
Superbajt

Judge: bravelion83
Flatline
Gateways7
marioguy3
netn10
Raptorchan
spacemonaut
StonerOfKruphix

Judge: void_nothing
Algernone25
barbecube
Henlock
Icarii
RaikouRider
Subject16
+ mellifluoresce's card out of competition

Judge: mellifluoresce
Dragonlover
Jimmy Groove
slimytrout
Sojourner Dusk
The_Hittite
user_938036

The top 4 from each bracket advance to Round 2.
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 8 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Cinderblossom 2B
Tribal Enchantment--Elemental (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 3 life and create a 3/1 red Elemental Shaman creature token with haste.
In Shadowmoor's short twilights the odor of murdered fires always hangs in the air.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Torturous Artisan 2B
Creature - Horror (rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent loses life equal to the difference between the number of cards in their hand and 3.
3/2

The Rack and Black Vise rolled into one!
Last edited by Gateways7 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Paradise
4WW
Enchantment
At the begining of each upkeep, each player's life total becomes the highest life total among all players.
At the beginning of each end step, each player shuffles their graveyard into their library.
Last edited by user_938036 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

Fractured Thoughts 1GUR
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of each upkeep, each player discards their hand.
At the beginning of each draw step, each player draws two cards.
Any player may cast spells as though they had flash.
Last edited by Sojourner Dusk 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 4 years ago

Ragtag Captain rw
Creature — Human Soldier (R)
Creature tokens you control get +1/+1.
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 0/0 red Soldier creature token with haste.
"Sometimes I feel like I'm the only thing holding this motley crew together!"
2/2
Last edited by Flatline 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Blighted Scarab B
Creature — Insect (U)
Blighted Scarab can't block.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Blighted Scarab deals 1 damage to you.
Madness B (If you discard this card, discard it into exile. When you do, cast it for its madness cost or put it into your graveyard.)
If Blighted Scarab's madness cost was paid, it enters the battlefield under target opponent's control.
2/1
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 4 years ago

Hordecaller Lich 3BB
Creature — Zombie Wizard (MR)
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token. Then if you control ten or more Zombies, destroy all creatures your opponents control.
2B, T: Exile target creature card from an opponent's graveyard. Create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
"They have arrived. You might want to look away."
3/3
Last edited by StonerOfKruphix 4 years ago, edited 9 times in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Corpse Trader 3BB
Creature - Human Shaman (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put target creature card from an opponent's graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. If you do, that opponent gains control of Corpse Trader.
"I'm in the market for some fresh produce."
3/3

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Trinket Trader 1UU
Creature - Human Artificer (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 1/1 artifact Servo creature token, a Clue token or a Treasure token.
Demons goes to him in order to get great deals.
2/4
Last edited by netn10 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Teyo, Reinforced 1WW
Planeswalker - Teyo (MR)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a loyalty counter on each planeswalker you control.
0 – Until your next turn, creatures with power greater than the number of loyalty counters on Teyo, Reinforced can't attack.
-1 – Create a 0/X white Wall creature token with defender, where X is the number of loyalty counters on Teyo, Reinforced.
-2 – Return each creature card with power less than the number of loyalty counters on Teyo, Reinforced from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 15 times in total.

Superbajt

Post by Superbajt » 4 years ago

Lonely Spirit 2BB
Creature - Spirit (R)
Haste
Lonely Spirit can't block.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if you control no creatures, return Lonely Spirit from your graveyard to the battlefield.
2/2
Last edited by Superbajt 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 4 years ago

Creeping Roots G
Enchantment - Aura {R}
Enchant creature.
At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy enchanted creature.
3: Destroy Creeping Roots. Any player may play this ability.

Creeping Roots
G
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature.
At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy enchanted creature.
3: Destroy Creeping Roots. Any player may play this ability.
Last edited by Freyleyes 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

The_Hittite

Post by The_Hittite » 4 years ago

Pendant of Patience 1W
Artifact [R]
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose an opponent. That player gains control of Pendant of Patience.
You can't cast spells.
It'll be your turn soon enough.
Last edited by The_Hittite 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

Entry below - should there be sufficient other entries to necessitate me judging, it won't be counted.

Trove of Eternity 2R
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library.
You may play cards exiled with Trove of Eternity.
When ten or more cards are exiled with Trove of Eternity, sacrifice it. If you do, until end of turn, you may cast play any of the exiled cards without paying their mana cost.

I'll fix up the wording when I'm not working.
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Rummage the Archives
1UR
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw two cards.
At the beginning of your end step, discard two cards. If you can't, sacrifice Rummage the Archives and it deals 5 damage to you.
Last edited by RaikouRider 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 4 years ago

Ajani's Guidance gw
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature or planeswalker
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted permanent if it's a creature, then put a loyalty counter on it if it's a planeswalker.
"Come along now, Gideon."

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Cursed Cartomancer 1B
Creature — Human Shaman (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a black permanent card, you may pay life equal to its converted mana cost and sacrifice Cursed Cartomancer. If you do, put that card onto the battlefield.
2/1
formerly willows

Algernone25
Salvation Migrant

Post by Algernone25 » 4 years ago

bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Do you remember when that actor impersonating Nicol Bolas in a game with giant cards was screaming it with the audience every turn? I think it was a preview event for Hour of Devastation at some convention if I recall correctly.
It was Gencon 2018, as part of the Magic 25th Anniversary celebration. I was there watching, and a Jhoira cosplayer that happened to show up was allowed to suspend Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh on turn 2 with her ability. Spoilers, Nicky B won that round.

In any case, here's my entry:
Harness the Nexus
RRR
Enchantment
Skip your draw step.
You can't play cards from your hand.
At the beginning of each upkeep, exile any number of cards from the top of your library. Harness the Nexus deals 1 damage to you for each card exiled this way. Until end of turn, you may play cards exiled this way.
Last edited by Algernone25 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
Top 16 - 2012 Indiana State Championships
Currently Playing:
GBUStandard - Sultai Dreadhorde MidrangeUBG
RBWModern - Mardu PyromancerWBR
RLegacy - Good Old Fashioned BurnR

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Ayana, Packmother 2G
Legendary Creature - Wolf (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on each Wolf you control with power less than ~'s power.
1G: ~ gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn.
A parent's love is nothing without a parent's example.
3/3

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Concealed Reveal 1U
Enchantment (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may turn target face down permanent you control face up. If you do, return Concealed Reveal to it's owners hand.
Seeing it coming doesn't always matter.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

The Blooming Environment 1GG
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a luxury counter on a basic land you control. Lands you control with luxury counters on it have "t, Add one mana of any color."
5GG, Sacrifice The Blooming Forest: Remove all luxury counters from lands you control, then draw cards equal to the number of counters removed this way.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

The Gatewatch, Together 1WUBRG
Enchantment (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control at least five non-Bolas planeswalkers of different types, you win the game.
United, they can face any challenge the Multiverse throws at them.
Last edited by Dragonlover 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
All my decks are here

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 4 years ago

Lock and Load 1R
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may exile an instant or sorcery card from your hand face up.
You may cast cards exiled with Lock and Load and those cards cost 1 less to cast.
"Who needs surprise when you have overwhelming magical power?"
- Chandra, to Jace

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 4 years ago

Bloodfly Nest 1B
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Swamp
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player loses 1 life.
2B: Until end of turn, enchanted Swamp becomes 3/1 black Insect creature with flying. It's still land.
Buzzing is the last thing you want to hear on those mires.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”