void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL June Top 4/Round 4

"Forgotten Skills"

Arcbound Fiend, taken from cardsrealm, by Ittoku and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Nostalgia Month here in the CCL - time to dig deep into the past...

Challenge
Design a card that has or mechanically references fear, intimidate, shroud, landwalk, landhome, flanking, or banding.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Your submissions are due Sunday, July 4th, 23:59 EST.
Contestants:
@Ink-Treader
@bravelion83
@Subject16
@slimytrout

Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (May 31st-June 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (June 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due June 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (June 22nd–25th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due June 27th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (July 1st-4th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due July 6th)
  • Final (July, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Stitched Abomination 2B
Creature — Zombie (U)
Intimidate (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a color with it.)
1U: Another target creature becomes the color of your choice until end of turn.
"Stitching is an art. The more terrifying your creation is, the more successful it will be."
—Ludevic, necro-alchemist

2/2
Last edited by bravelion83 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Inthra, Ethereal Cavalier 3WW
Legendary Creature - Spirit Knight (R)
Flash
Flanking (Whenever a creature without flanking blocks this creature, the blocking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.)
Whenever Inthra, Ethereal Cavalier or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, up to one target creature has base power and toughness 1/1 until end of turn.
3/3

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Aloof Eidolon 1WU
Enchantment Creature - Spirit (R)
Bestow 3WU (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2
As long as you control exactly one creature, each player and each permanent has shroud.
2/2
Last edited by Ink-Treader 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@Subject16? I'm happy to offer all the contestants an extension.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

(My apologies, I thought I had made a submission for this)

Raid Captain Domar 2RWB
Legendary creature — Orc Warrior (Mythic)
First strike, menace
Other creatures you control with menace, fear, or intimidate get +1/+1.
Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, you may destroy target nonland permanent that player controls with mana value X or less, where X is the total damage dealt this way.
"Cowards always die first."
3/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed - please critique everyone else.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Nice and simple. The activated ability might be more fun to play with if it cost less. That's a cute way to prevent blocks though.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Menacing, intimidating and fearsome? Sounds like a bad time for everyone else. That's a pretty flavorful set of keywords to boost. Doesn't feel all that white though. I'm pretty sure all of that is in pie without white, now that black can destroy enchantments it doesn't control.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Interesting. Essentially 'destroy target attacking or blocking creature' to start with, and then simply dissuade blocks after that (unless you have flash/instant speed token generation/blinking). I like that the ability pairs well with flanking, but is still generically useful.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. bravelion83
3. Subject16

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Inthra, Ethereal Cavalier 3WW
Legendary Creature - Spirit Knight (R)
Flash
Flanking (Whenever a creature without flanking blocks this creature, the blocking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.)
Whenever Inthra, Ethereal Cavalier or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, up to one target creature has base power and toughness 1/1 until end of turn.
3/3
This card makes my inner Mel want flanking to work in defense too, which it doesn't. If it did, the interaction between flanking and the last ability would have been neat, and also the reason to give this card flash. In that alternate present this could be the scenario: your opponent attacks with a big annoying creature? No problem, cast this in response to the attack, turn that big scary creature into a 1/1, block it and kill it with defensive flanking, all before combat damage even happens. Too bad it doesn't actually work like that, I wish it did.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Aloof Eidolon 1WU
Enchantment Creature - Spirit (R)
Bestow 3WU (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2
As long as you control exactly one creature, each player and each permanent has shroud.
2/2
I see one problem with this giving shroud to everything including itself. How are you supposed to get rid of this? I don't think you'd play another creature to turn off the bonus, at the contrary, the bonus is a big reson for you to not play another creature, and I think the one creature you have is the one that this enchants thanks to bestow. So again the question is: this gives shroud to itself, how do you get it of it? "You don't" isn't a good answer. "Use Wrath and edict effects" is a better answer. The best answer in my opinion would just be "I'll change this to only give shroud to all other permanents and players."
Subject16 wrote:
2 years ago
Raid Captain Domar 2RWB
Legendary creature — Orc Warrior (Mythic)
First strike, menace
Other creatures you control with menace, fear, or intimidate get +1/+1.
Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, you may destroy target nonland permanent that player controls with mana value X or less, where X is the total damage dealt this way.
"Cowards always die first."
3/4
I don't see any red here, or better, I don't see anything that could only be red. First strike is red but it's also white. Menace is red but also black. "Destroy target permanent" is white-black. The flavor makes sense for a Mardu card: use the world "raid" in the name, Orcs are a Mardu tribe in Khans. But this card could or maybe should have been just white-black, and it could have kept its Mardu flavor. I like the line "menace, fear, or intimidate" very much, a line of keywords that substituted one another.
Top 3

1st place: Subject16
2nd place: slimytrout
3rd place: Ink-Treader
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Fun! I had to look up whether that ability would overwrite the colors, but confirmed that it does. The flavor doesn't fully make sense to me -- why does a black zombie (which, technically are not "stitched" on Innistrad) have color-changing powers? -- but the package is cool enough to cancel that out.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Huh. Definitely interesting, but man could it lead to unfun gameplay. Just have this and an Ensnaring Bridge out and, short of a wrath/edict, your opponent is pretty soft-locked while you play a ton of noncreature permanents. I think it would be a lot better if it either a) only protected players and creatures or b) protected everything other than itself, but as is I just think it would lead to some nasty prison strategies.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Interesting card, but I definitely don't love that the intimidate/fear part is kinda just trinket text. The flavor is good, even though I wonder if the card itself is a bit overpowered. I did want to note the fact that the first strike splits up the triggers so that you get to potentially kill two things, which is the sort of detail I appreciate even if it does make the card even stronger.
T3
Show
Hide
Tough decisions for each spot:
1. bravelion83
2. Subject16
3. Ink-Treader

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

slimytrout
Show
Hide
I like this a lot, especially how you can turn blocking and flash creatures into a difficult position for your opponents. I don't know if this is fully monowhite though.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
This is a cool concept here, especially with the bestow/aura aspect increasing the resilience of the mass shroud, and at the cost of only having one creature which is a steep but likely fair condition.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
I'm a sucker for color changing, and am looking forward to the day when I can finally build a deck that makes use of it. This is a nice design, and the ability works around intimidate very nicely.
top 3
Show
Hide
1. bravelion83
2. slimytrout
3. Ink-Treader

slimytrout

Don't mean to be a pain @void_nothing but this fell off the front page so I wanted to bump it.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And congratulations to finalists @bravelion83 and @slimytrout! Round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”