The DCC - June 23rd, 2021

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Let's put together oxidation and reduction. When we do, we obtain a redox reaction. This is why oxidation and reduction are called semireactions, they are each half of a full redox reaction. In the semireactions electrons appear, as we've seen in the last days, but in a full redox they don't. Electrons are also balanced according to Lavoisier: there must be as many in the reagents as in the products, or if you prefer, as many electrons must be lost in the oxidation as many are acquired in the reduction, that's equivalent. Let's make an example.
Copper (Cu) can have oxidation numbers 0, +1, +2. Let's take +2 and bring it to zero (reduction):
Cu2+ + 2 e- → Cu (copper goes from +2 to zero)
Zinc (Zn) can only have 0 and +2. Let's write the oxidation:
Zn → Zn2+ + 2 e- (zinc passes from zero to +2)
Let's put together the two semireactions and simplify the electrons, like you could do with two mathematical equations. We get:
Cu2+ + Zn → Cu + Zn2+
This is a redox reaction. Copper undergoes reduction and zinc oxidation, or if you prefer, copper acquires electrons and zinc loses electrons. But wait, are those electrons the same? Yes, they are. So we could say that zinc gives its electrons to copper, and we'd be correct. This doesn't matter if we do the reaction with two metal electrodes in a single solution, but is there a way to separate physically the two semireactions so that I could take advantage of the electron transfer to, say, generate electricity? Yes, it's possible, and it's actually quite easy to do. Obviously I haven't chosen this example at random, I wanted to get to this point. This is called the Daniell cell, the second example of electric battery after that of Alessandro Volta (another Italian by the way). Daniell realized that he could separate the two semireactions by creating a closed electrical circuit between two containers, one containing a copper electrode immersed in a solution containing Cu2+ and the other a zinc electrode in a solution of Zn2+. Again, these two containers are physically separated. There is a so-called "salt bridge" that connects the two liquid solutions, and the two metal electrodes are connected with a cable. If we do this, the electrons will flow from the zinc electrode to the copper one within the cable, so we will have generated electricity in the cable that we can use for whatever purpose. This is the main use of redox reactions: generate electricity, and this is just the beginning of a whole branch of chemistry, electrochemistry, that for now we won't explore. I will have other months to host in the future...

DCC Scoreboard

emily 71 (+7)
JessWill 56
netn10 51 (+1)
void_nothing 48 (+1)
bravelion83 45 (+2)
folding_music 35 (+2)
saltyplumsoda 18 (+1)
JovialJovian 17
RIthaniel 14
marioguy3 3
kwanyeegor-ii 2 (+2)
MonoRedMage 2
Pygyzy 1

bravelion83 wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: emily, saltyplumsoda (it should be "becomes attached to a creature" though)

Mysterious Plant 2G
Creature — Plant Mutant (R)
Graft 2 (This creature enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may move a +1/+1 counter from this creature onto it.)
Mutate 1G (If you cast this spell for its mutate cost, put it over or under target non-Human creature you own. They mutate into the creature on top plus all abilities from under it.)
Whenever this creature mutates, proliferate. (Choose any number of permanents and/or players, then give each another counter of each kind already there.)
0/0
netn10 wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: bravelion83, emily

Wilt-Leaf Bane B
Instant (Uncommon)
Destroy target green or white enchantment you don't control.
Draw a card.
"We protect all beauty, yet I'm not sure we should protect destruction even if has its beauty in it".
Talara, Wilt-Leaf Leader
emily wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: folding_music, kwanyeegor-ii (I like that this returns a land you own instead of control, works nicely with Yavimaya Dryad)

Dars Gostok, Firefist Captain 2{R/W}{R/W}
Legendary Creature — Human Soldier (R)
Double strike
1{R/W}: Dars Gostok, Firefist Captain gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Battalion — Whenever Dars Gostok and at least two other creatures attack, you may have target creature block Dars Gostok this turn if able. If you do, no other creatures can block Dars Gostok this turn.
2/4
folding_music wrote:
2 years ago
votes: void_nothing, kwanyeegor-ii

Streamlining Knife
Mono Artifact (R)
: Remove an ability from target spell you control.
Diving for pearls of elegance mostly just leaves you with a bunch of dead clams.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Votes: netn10, emily

Bacslor, the Great Suchosphinx X3UU
Legendary Creature - Crocodile Sphinx (R)
Flying
When Bacslor enters the battlefield, search your library for up to X Sphinx cards with different names, reveal those cards, and put them into your hand, then shuffle your library.
3UU, Return another creature you control to its owner's hand: Create a token that's a copy of that creature.
4/2
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
folding_music emily
saltyplumsoda wrote:
2 years ago
bravelion83, emily

Recursive Ooze 1G
Creature - Ooze (R)
When Recursive Ooze dies, if it wasn't sacrificed, create a token that's a copy of it.
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Votes: netn10, emily

Arcbound Hydra XG
Artifact Creature — Hydra (R)
Arcbound Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Graft (Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may move a +1/+1 counter from this creature onto it.)
Modular (When this creature dies, you may put its +1/+1 counters on target artifact creature.)
0/0
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Votes: bravelion83, emily

Goblin Sanguimancer BR
Creature - Goblin Warlock (Common)
Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast as long as an opponent lost life this turn.
The Rakdos trade in blood and give laughter in return.
2/2

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

votes: void_nothing, saltyplumsoda

Malga Phlegmtooth rr
Legendary Creature - Orc (R)
First strike, haste
At the beginning of your upkeep, flip a coin. Target opponent calls heads or tails. If they call the coin correctly, creatures they control gain menace until the beginning of your next turn. Otherwise, creatures you control gain menace until the beginning of your next turn.
"Instill in your men a healthy sense of respect. Then scare it out of them."
2/1
SPOILER
Show
Hide
just doing that MH2 thing, picking out forgotten flavour text folk from lore and making them into OP legendaries =P

emily
No TERFs on Gruul Turf
Answers: 1
Pronoun: she / her

Post by emily » 2 years ago

Votes: bravelion83, saltyplumsoda

Miregrove Mountain
Land — Mountain (U)
(T: Add R.)
Miregrove Mountain enters the battlefield tapped unless you reveal a black or green card from your hand.
T, Pay 1 life: Add B or G.
Spelled with a lowercase "e". Formerly master_of_the_universe on MTGsalvation. Two time DCC champ (06/21, 07/21).

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Votes: emily, folding_music

Raugrin Sandstorm 2WW
Instant (R)
For each creature you control, put your choice of a +1/+1 counter or a first strike counter on that creature.
Cycling 2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”